Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,854 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

Barack Obama: A Beckon Of Hope? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Barack Obama: A Beckon Of Hope? (771 Views)

Barack Obama's Presidency In Fascinating Photos By Pete Souza. / Woman Fired For Calling Obama A Nigger, Hoping He's Assassinated / Libya: Nation Of Islam Leader Louis Farrakhan Calls Obama A Killer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Barack Obama: A Beckon Of Hope? by Horpemipor: 8:21pm On Nov 05, 2008
Like most people around the world, regardless of their race, background, creed, colour or gender; I was awake through out the night following the election proceedings. Awake to witness probably, a monumental moment in world history! Notice my use of probably and maybe within this text. I am only trying to be cautious and objective.

Barack Obama a.k.a. the one (if you go by Oprah's description); a.k.a. the special one; a.k.a. the chosen one;  a.k.a. the first Black - or a term i will rather use - African American president of the United States. He is first for so many things and first to so many people. He was also the first person of Afro-Caribbean descent to be President of Harvard law Review, to name but a few. He has inspired so many people around the world with his message of Hope and Change but that's where i get tentative.

He has been touted as the next Martin Luther King (MLK), the next John Fitzgerald Kennedy (JFK), the American Mandela etc but a closer look at those aforementioned shows that they did not entirely realise their full potential. I know it is quite cynical of me to say such but these great people promised so much and inspired millions probably, billions and still do but for one reason or the other, they were stopped before the end. MLK and JFK for instance, were both assassinated and Mandela was jailed through out most of his prime years.

A beckon of Hope? Barack is now president - yea, hurray! - I was up until 6am to see it and I was deeply emotional about his elections, even got teary eyed; though not as bad as Rev. Jesse Jackson who reminded me that grown men do cry however, I asked myself these questions and here is where I need your candid opinion most; can he put aside partisan politics in search of the greater good? Can he make good on his promises of change?; Is he an empty suit as his opponents have claimed or the 'one' as his proponents have pronounced?; can he truly become a great president through leadership rather than words, rhetoric and inspiring speeches alone?; Is he God's will? ; Would he be able to achieve his dream(s) without any deterrents?; Is he truly the beckon of hope?

These questions might take 4 or 8 years to answer however, I would savour the significance of this moment and this election. it has been a very long and historic one 18 months of following it religiously and sometimes obsessively - I hope it's been worth the follower-ship. Too young folks out there, Barack's achievement is a blank canvass for you to put your dreams on - you can paint your aspirations with the reminder that regardless of who you are, you can achieve what you want, if you set your mind to it (a cliche albeit, a true one). To the older folks, it is not too late to achieve your dreams, you only have to be ready to take risks and stop being weigh down with the burden of being the first. If your child/ward messes up or/and needs a role model, now you have got one although, not everything he says would be agreeable but at least, you can let them know that a boy who was not the brightest spark in high school, later went on to Harvard University (the number 1 in the world - at least 10 years running) and became the President of the United States!

A beckon of hope? I will let you decide Wink

Signed: Horpemipor
Inspired by Barack Obama - Yes We Can!

(1) (Reply)

Can This Happen In Nigeria? / Britons Are At It Again,major Natural Disaster,fifa 2010 / Cyprus Parliamentary Elections 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.