Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,596 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

Half Of A Yellow Sun. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun. (1607 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Half Of A Yellow Sun. by jaydee87(m): 7:57am On Sep 27, 2014
Good morning NLanders,
Guess most people must have watched the movie Half of a yellow sun, will really like us to kudos or criticise the producer, director, crews and actors of the movie.
For me the main act of the movie was on point, translated the role perfectly. even kainene's hubby too really tried. Ugwu too tried to be on point but I saw he had feelings for his madam thought he was actually going to have something with her but no he dint. The madam despite all the problem her in-law gave her she still stood her ground but when her man had sex with the girl the in-law brought she lost, defining a real Nigerian lady most our ladies always do that when her man do it.... lesson to learn from that ladies not always an eye for an eye....
I think kudos should be given to the writer of the story itself, av read the book and it was superb no wonder she was given awards for the book. the movie too was a yes for me cos we all can see the quality of the movie from the pictures to the translation of roles to words used and translation. pls this are the kind of movie we need.
NLanders lets hear your view on the movie too.....
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by misshoree(f): 8:10am On Sep 27, 2014
I have not watched it o but I heard its interesting
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by Floyd45(m): 8:39am On Sep 27, 2014
Genieve tho! Her acting did not do it for me
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by TheFury: 12:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
There is a fine line between a novel and its big screen adaptation.
One can't get a complete represntation of the novel. That would be overreaching. That been said, this movie had some problems.
For a novel adaptation, the movie was to loose, rushed and weakly knitted. At some point the movie felt like a stage performance. The director shifted from scene to scene without taking into account that a lot of persons don't read. Ergo; a lot of persons had never read the novel. The set design and costumes were very nice. But the plot of the movie was weak. The Kano scene was unforgivable. Especially the riot scene. The same group of persons kept running around that one street to give it a chaotic look. That was strike two. The characters of Odenigbo(Chiwetel) and the actress that played Kainene were very good. They interepreted the xters from the novel quite well. Especially Kainene. Thandiw Newton had NO business being in this movie. Her performance hurt my eyes and sensibilities. Her igbo wasn't even passable and the Olanna from the novel is nothing like what the movie showed. American movie producers take time to train their actors to learn juijitsu, or russian or how to ride a bike. They commit to the art. They really could have taken their time with this movie. Also, in trying to avoid causing "outrage" cos of some of the ethno-religious themes of the story from the novel, they slashed and edited the movie heavily. The airport scene where Nnemeka got shot, the Nigerian soldiers were speaking french!......that scene was terrible. From the uniforms to Thandiow Newton's pronunciation of "kedu"(to think that she was even correcting someone else. The novel said they lived in Nigeria all their lives Olanna and Kainene, before going abroad for a few years to study. One's accent doesn't become so british) it was poor. The xter of Okeoma was the biggest misfire for me. The person in the movie was sort of heavy, slow, and very uncharismatic. They should have left him out altogether. Ugwu, Onyeka Owenu, and Zack Orji performances were okay however short. In all.....the movie wasn't bad(some folks complained that they didn't even know if it was about the civil war or just a story about people set around the war era) It isn't a spectacular movie tho....just somewhere in that area of ordinary that isn't exciting or distasteful. That's my take.
P.S: Genevive was just there, I think that's another area movie makers need to adress. This movie would have been a lot better if they took time to find suitable actors with talent(Nigerian or other Africans) to work on the roles. Ugwu isn't sexually drawn to his madam o.....he likes her as a gentle and kind woman. But from the book u will notice Ugwu is quite preoocupied with sexual exploration.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by igwedexy: 12:11pm On Sep 27, 2014
Pls is the movie out in stores already
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by jaydee87(m): 10:13pm On Sep 27, 2014
TheFury: There is a fine line between a novel and its big screen adaptation.
One can't get a complete represntation of the novel. That would be overreaching. That been said, this movie had some problems.
For a novel adaptation, the movie was to loose, rushed and weakly knitted. At some point the movie felt like a stage performance. The director shifted from scene to scene without taking into account that a lot of persons don't read. Ergo; a lot of persons had never read the novel. The set design and costumes were very nice. But the plot of the movie was weak. The Kano scene was unforgivable. Especially the riot scene. The same group of persons kept running around that one street to give it a chaotic look. That was strike two. The characters of Odenigbo(Chiwetel) and the actress that played Kainene were very good. They interepreted the xters from the novel quite well. Especially Kainene. Thandiw Newton had NO business being in this movie. Her performance hurt my eyes and sensibilities. Her igbo wasn't even passable and the Olanna from the novel is nothing like what the movie showed. American movie producers take time to train their actors to learn juijitsu, or russian or how to ride a bike. They commit to the art. They really could have taken their time with this movie. Also, in trying to avoid causing "outrage" cos of some of the ethno-religious themes of the story from the novel, they slashed and edited the movie heavily. The airport scene where Nnemeka got shot, the Nigerian soldiers were speaking french!......that scene was terrible. From the uniforms to Thandiow Newton's pronunciation of "kedu"(to think that she was even correcting someone else. The novel said they lived in Nigeria all their lives Olanna and Kainene, before going abroad for a few years to study. One's accent doesn't become so british) it was poor. The xter of Okeoma was the biggest misfire for me. The person in the movie was sort of heavy, slow, and very uncharismatic. They should have left him out altogether. Ugwu, Onyeka Owenu, and Zack Orji performances were okay however short. In all.....the movie wasn't bad(some folks complained that they didn't even know if it was about the civil war or just a story about people set around the war era) It isn't a spectacular movie tho....just somewhere in that area of ordinary that isn't exciting or distasteful. That's my take.
P.S: Genevive was just there, I think that's another area movie makers need to adress. This movie would have been a lot better if they took time to find suitable actors with talent(Nigerian or other Africans) to work on the roles. Ugwu isn't sexually drawn to his madam o.....he likes her as a gentle and kind woman. But from the book u will notice Ugwu is quite preoocupied with sexual exploration.
okay noted.... you right about the stage play... I tink it was talking about people set in the war era.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by jaydee87(m): 10:17pm On Sep 27, 2014
misshoree: I have not watched it o but I heard its interesting
tink u shud try and watch the movie, its a fairly good movie.....
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by jaydee87(m): 10:24pm On Sep 27, 2014
igwedexy: Pls is the movie out in stores already
tink so, u cud download it online and watch but don't have the link now,
pls anybody with the link can post it so those that have not watched it can download it and rate the movie..
thanks in anticipation..
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by JUMAYIN(f): 11:02pm On Sep 27, 2014

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Sep 27, 2014
The only good thing about the movie is the cinematography. Everything else na error, if uve read the book, u'll know what I mean.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by jaydee87(m): 12:56am On Sep 28, 2014
Amusaopeyemi: The only good thing about the movie is the cinematography. Everything else na error, if uve read the book, u'll know what I mean.
that's what we celebrating the cinematography... tink the directing too was okay....
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by jaydee87(m): 12:59am On Sep 28, 2014
igwedexy: Pls is the movie out in stores already
thanks jumanyin..
igwedexy the link is now live on the thread, just follow the link and download ur copy.
once again #jumanyin great job.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by JUMAYIN(f): 9:55pm On Oct 06, 2014
You are welcome jaydee
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by CBNIM: 5:08pm On Oct 07, 2014
JUMAYIN:
You are welcome jaydee
Modified: just downloaded it, thanks.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun. by MoyoGENERAL: 4:08pm On Nov 15, 2014
Noni Rose acted Kainene perfectly!!!! i give her 9/10
Chiwetel did try for the ODENIGBO xter....he gets 7.5/10
Thandie was just there!!!!though she tried...6/10

I really like the Costumes and design sha...twas perfect!!!

I would have loved a more scenes of the refugees during the war, and their interaction with the main characters( just like sometimes in April or hotel Rwanda)

Story line:::
Ordeal of two Igbo Sisters returning from abroad caught in love, work and war!!!

Overall,,
I think the NOVEL is better than the Movie!!

(1) (Reply)

3d Shango Game Character / Your Favourite Action Films / Sceneonetv.co - Download All Jenifa's Diary From Season 1 To Currennt Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.