Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,605 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? (21809 Views)

National Open University Of Nigeria 2011/2012 / Federal Government Scholarship In Nigeria- How Effective Is It? / National Open University of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by BigStar1(m): 10:43am On Nov 06, 2008
Hello nairalanders, I'm a student of NOUN, first year second semester.

I found my self there after OND with my strong decision not to go for HND (of course because of discremmination).

But to get DE admission into conventional uni became difficult even with my (DISTINCTION).

What is my fate in NOUN?

The admission was so cheap (o'level alone).
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by rezzy: 2:32pm On Nov 07, 2008
my dear i can advice even my enemy to go to that school.
compare the poly you finished from and NOUN are they the same.?
Do you go for lectures on a daily basis?
they dont lecture there. its only illegal tutorial according to a student there. she keeps telling me she is going for illegal tutorial.

Even as you are there still try other good schools.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by ruffneck(m): 2:45pm On Nov 07, 2008
omo bone that school joo.if you realy have a distinction in ND i advise you come to UNN next year.you are required to write test and if you make it ,uou are in. dats wat i did and it worked for me
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by BigStar1(m): 3:23pm On Nov 07, 2008
Thanks.

And the benefit I'm seeing there is that as a computer science student, we don't have intensive practical class in almost all the schools. But been at NOUN, i have the chance of working (gaining industrial experience) and learning (struggling for BSc.).

What is giving concern is there cert. Do you know how recognised it is?

And i would like to get more reply.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by Phemour: 4:54pm On Nov 07, 2008
NOUN is a [size=20pt]bull shet[/size]
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by BigStar1(m): 12:04pm On Nov 12, 2008
PHEMOUR:

NOUN is a [size=20pt]bull shet[/size]
tell me how.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by bilms(m): 12:25pm On Nov 12, 2008
hi guys,

i wonder y many of us keep critisizing even when we have no knowledge or little knowledge about something.

if u no about noun operation, and its recognition, then u wont say bad thin about it./

Noun is a good school just lyk another university in Nigeria.

the different is the learning mode.

The certificae is recogniced anywhere in nigeria and the world entirely.

if u think u hv any comment about what i say, u can go to national University commision and found out.

I am also a student of Noun. studying communication technology.\

That is how many people who dont no anythng about the school keep discoraging me but when i seek for the real truth about the school, i realize they dont no anything about it. they jst say what they feel.

for u guys who say bad things about this school, what evidence u have?

they give facilitation in the school not lecture. and b4 u go to the school, u where told how the school operate that u most be ready to study on ur own. so it is when u have problem in anywhere that when u contact the school and show u the way out.

in my center here in abuja, we did enough facilitation and its ok for any reasonable student who really wants to study.

class clsoe

3 Likes

Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by BigStar1(m): 3:28pm On Nov 12, 2008
bilms, i feel you, infact you're too much.

That is how it normally be for new things like this. Nigerians always criticise without any knowledge about the topic in question.

Many ppl say it's for old ppl, they call it all sort of names for my area. But what gives me focus is the recognition of the cert.

I believe every body here will agree with me that it's cert we get from any uni in nigeria and not the knowledge (or do any one wants to prove me wrong).

Then why won't i go for noun that gives me the chance to claim the cert and at the same time work to gain more experience on my field.

AMAGLA AWETU, nothing can stop me!
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by fsudoka: 3:49pm On Nov 12, 2008
my guy,u ar really at d right track,dnt just listen to anybody,,remember dat pple of naija can never b satisfiyd,so only Go 4ur best ok?and i will also urge u to study hard for d sky shall b ur starting point ok? but i will like to ask,which center ar u? and do u have an idea of wen d list of new admittin student will b out?
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by fsudoka: 4:06pm On Nov 12, 2008
oh big star,i just lerant u dat ur centre is at osogbo,well its all good.now i will like u to brief me littlle abt dat osogbo centre,cuz i wnt to change my centre 4rm lagos to osogbo but i dnt no how d centre is and i wnt to know if d centre is a poly,or college of edu?plz feed me wit an ifo ok my bors?reply or text me 08032877537
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by bilms(m): 11:26am On Nov 13, 2008
Quality is the watch-word at the National Open UNiversity of Nigeria and it underpins every aspect of the experiences prepared for a student who has decided to be instructed at the university. As it is for all Nigerian Universities to be assessed through accrediatation by the National Universities Commission (NCU), the National Open University of Nigeria will be part of these accreditation exercises. The programmes we offer, our teaching and degrees awarded are all subject to the same quality assurances as all Nigerian Universities. Besides, due to globalisation, the NOUN collabrates with the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) in Canada, the International Council for Distance Education (ICDE), the African Council of Distance Education (ACDE) and well established distance and open universities of the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, India, Australia, South Africa and the Africa Virtual University in Kenya

As an illustration, the procedure for the development of a course at NOUN is modelled after IGNOU's and is illustrated as:

1 Like

Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by BigStar1(m): 10:36am On Nov 14, 2008
bilms:

Quality is the watch-word at the National Open UNiversity of Nigeria and it underpins every aspect of the experiences prepared for a student who has decided to be instructed at the university. As it is for all Nigerian Universities to be assessed through accrediatation by the National Universities Commission (NCU), the National Open University of Nigeria will be part of these accreditation exercises. The programmes we offer, our teaching and degrees awarded are all subject to the same quality assurances as all Nigerian Universities. Besides, due to globalisation, the NOUN collabrates with the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) in Canada, the International Council for Distance Education (ICDE), the African Council of Distance Education (ACDE) and well established distance and open universities of the United Kingdom, Hong Kong, India, Australia, South Africa and the Africa Virtual University in Kenya

As an illustration, the procedure for the development of a course at NOUN is modelled after IGNOU's and is illustrated as:

Whao !

what a battery charger!

you just recharged my battery for me. Thanks alot

fsudoka:

oh big star,i just lerant u that ur centre is at osogbo,well its all good.now i will like u to brief me littlle about that osogbo centre,because i wnt to change my centre from lagos to osogbo but i dnt no how d centre is and i wnt to know if d centre is a poly,or college of edu?plz feed me wit an ifo ok my bors?reply or text me 08032877537
Osogbo study center is not a poly nor college of edu, it is the formal secretariat of one of the then political parties

We have admin block, class rooms, library, and hall. funny enough, we get toilets and bathroom. So feel free to eat anything while coming to our school.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by bilms(m): 11:57am On Nov 14, 2008
The national open university of nigeria is to be regarded as the foremost university providing higly accessible and enhanced quality education anchored by social justice,equity,quality and national cohesion through a comprehensive reach that transcends all barriers.

The national open university provide functional cost effective,flexible learning, which adds life-long value to quality education for all who seek knowledge.

in addition to the broad vision and mission statement, some of the major objectives of the national open university are to:

1.ensure equity and quality of oppurtunity in education generally,but specifically in university education.
2.provide a wider access to education generally by specifically university in nigeria.
3.enhance education for all and life- long learning
4.provide instructional resources via an intensive use of information and communication technology
5.provoide flexible but qualitative education and
6.reduce the cost,inconvinience,hassle of and access to educationand its delivery.

so everybody, since these are the aim of the university, what is wrong is that? y most u cretizise the university? y most u say all sort of bad things about the school,

u people are those who contribute to the downfall of this great country (Nigeria) and if u fail to stop, God will punish u
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by fsudoka: 2:27pm On Nov 14, 2008
pls big star,though we dnt no each oda yet,but pls i seek for ue assistance,i wnt to change my study centre 4rm lagos to ossgbo in osun state,but my problem is where to stay 4d main tym b4 i get an accomodation.i have nobody dere but i just wish to come ova dere at ltast to change an environment.so pls can u kindky help me/or if u can still help me get an accomodation soonest dat will also b good.pls am a prospective student who wishes to study at noun.so pls how can u b of help,though d list is not out yet but i have d beliv dat my name shall b on d list wen it comes out.so can u help 4an accomodation pls or to get one 4me? am festus 08032877537 08025268564
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by fsudoka: 2:28pm On Nov 14, 2008
does any one have an idea of wen d list of noun will be out?
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by bilms(m): 3:54pm On Nov 14, 2008
guys,

i want to open a thread on the national open university problem and answer.

if u are a student or prospectus student, u can share ur experience and share problem
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by lexicon(m): 7:29pm On Nov 14, 2008
bilms:

guys,

i want to open a thread on the national open university problem and answer.

if u are a student or prospectus student, u can share ur experience and share problem

that will be a very good idea. thanks 4 d good job:

are u a NOUN staff ?
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by experts: 3:57pm On Nov 15, 2008
no am a student too.

100l
second semester
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by bilms(m): 2:49pm On Nov 17, 2008
i jst posted the topic.

so if u hv any idea to share or any question, feeel free
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by BigStar1(m): 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2008
fsudoka:

please big star,though we dnt no each oda yet,but please i seek for ue assistance,i wnt to change my study centre from lagos to ossgbo in osun state,but my problem is where to stay 4d main time before i get an accomodation.i have nobody dere but i just wish to come ova dere at ltast to change an environment.so please can u kindky help me/or if u can still help me get an accomodation soonest that will also b good.please am a prospective student who wishes to study at noun.so please how can u b of help,though d list is not out yet but i have d beliv that my name shall b on d list when it comes out.so can u help 4an accomodation please or to get one 4me? am festus 08032877537 08025268564

It's not a big deal for me to secure you an acommodation for you here. but that doesn't me i'll accommodate you my self, it be a seperate apartment for you. 08060678106
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by nunna: 1:27pm On Nov 18, 2008
hi big star,thankx alot.so is dere any one available now?though the admission list is not out yet,i dnt even no wot dey ar still waiting for.or have u heard any info concerning d list?so any avialable house now?and how mush does is cost?again i will like to no if osogbo is lively cuz i have not been dere b4,but i wish to come dere, so pls tell me more abt the skool and osobgo and abt d house issuefestus 08032877537
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by deleson: 10:26am On Nov 19, 2008
I'm sick and tired of the antics of most Nigerian Universities,so I feel the National Open University will be a better option.
But then,i will like to know what the school fees lokks like.Am intending to put in for a course in the arts.
please,tell me if noun offers admission into faculty of law at degree level(am a secondary school certificate holder),

When is the next admission programme starting?

forteflute@yahoo.com
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by MrCrackles(m): 10:30am On Nov 19, 2008
If Obasanjo can be accepted into a farcical academy like that, then i doubt itz reliability! cheesy
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by deleson: 11:03am On Nov 19, 2008
Facts and figures have proved that there are worst pple in Nigeria compared with Obasanjo.His admission is just like admitting another personality in the country into the institution,what only distinguished him was his prestige and offical status, and could not because of his offical misdeed deny him admission.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by BigStar1(m): 11:09am On Nov 19, 2008
deleson:

I will like to know what the school fees lokks like.Am intending to put in for a course in the arts.
please,tell me if noun offers admission into faculty of law at degree level(am a secondary school certificate holder),

When is the next admission programme starting?

forteflute@yahoo.com

What i learn is that while planning to do something, money factor should be the last thing to think of. because, It's a dream killer.

at NOUN you pay approximately 70k per year while you still have chance to work and learn compare with other uni especially UNIOSUN

NOUN offers admission into any dpt under faculty of art including law and the application forms are out
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by BigStar1(m): 12:22pm On Nov 19, 2008
MrCrackles:

If Obasanjo can be accepted into a farcical academy like that, then i doubt itz reliability! cheesy

Well, it's a general youruba adage that "Enikan ni o ge lowo ninu ilu ki gbogbo ilu to di agewo"
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by bilms(m): 5:49pm On Nov 19, 2008
@Big star

i think u got it wrog here.

i dont think the school fee is up to 70k a year.

actually for a new student, u pay almost 50k but after then, u just pay about 20-27k for semetre, so its not up to 70k.

when i got admission, i paid 44k

and now the second semester, i paid 27k

thats for a new student. but when i proceed to 200l, i will pay lesser than the 27k i paid for this emester, that means the higher u go, u lower u pay.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by experts: 3:41pm On Nov 20, 2008
hi guys
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by deleson: 7:54pm On Nov 20, 2008
Please,let's talk about the recognitionnof the school,
does the school have any prestige maybe I should wait and see people's reaction at the school's convocation since it's month,

Me,i no won finish school and no go get job because of the school wey i attend o!

Pls,help me O.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by BigStar1(m): 1:29pm On Nov 24, 2008
bilms:

@Big star

i think u got it wrog here.

i don't think the school fee is up to 70k a year.

actually for a new student, u pay almost 50k but after then, u just pay about 20-27k for semetre, so its not up to 70k.

when i got admission, i paid 44k

and now the second semester, i paid 27k

thats for a new student. but when i proceed to 200l, i will pay lesser than the 27k i paid for this emester, that means the higher u go, u lower u pay.

We are still saying the same thing.
I'm in 100L and the approximation of the total sum i paid is 70k. and from your own explanation 44k plus 27k is 71k.

I talked based on my experience.
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by experts: 4:09pm On Nov 24, 2008
Big Star (m)

from ur previouse discussion, u said u mre in osogbo center right?

actually, i am from osun state but am not use to home because i was born in the north. and right now i bsed in abuja. i am an It guy.

i am looking at coming back to osogbo and request for transfer. but plz how is life in osogbo, and generally how is It doing over there.

i need to unite with It guys to make life a little easier for me.

so what can u advice?
Re: National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable? by BigStar1(m): 9:00am On Nov 25, 2008
Well, life in any state or town depends on individual.

To me Osogbo is lifely and peaceful. I'm ok with general living condition of Osogbo.

And I know about five lagosian that left Lagos for Osogbo testifying that the condition is good. People from Abuja also come home to settle down sharing the same testimonies.

"Osogbo is lifely, Cost of living is low compare to other cities, good mobility, it's not congested"

But some people said it's dull compare to lagos that they love lagos because they struggle for everything, and that's why i said "life in any state or town depends on individual."

To me I'm Ok with OSOGBO

(1) (2) (Reply)

No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU / Lagos Completes Elemoro Junior Secondary School Facility (Pictures) / All Girls Schools Make Nigerian Girls Promiscuous

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.