Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU (21811 Views)

No Agreement Yet With ASUU - FG / No Agreement With FG, Strike Not Ending Soon – ASUU, SSANU, NASU / ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Kwanza: 7:53am On Nov 28, 2020
Previous thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/6284118/ASUU-agrees-call-off-strike

THE Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU has denied a news report that it agreed to call off the ongoing strike after meeting with the Government negotiation team led by the Minister of Labour and Employment, Senator Chris Ngige on Friday.

The Federal Government at the meeting at the Conference Hall of the Ministry of Labour and Employment reportedly increased its offer for Earned Allowances EA to university based unions and funding for the revitalization of public universities from N65 billion to N70 billion.

There was news report that ASUU has given an indication that the meeting, the strike which started since March would soon be called off after a meeting with the leadership of union and its organs.

According to the report, the university teachers agreed to call off the strike after the government pledged to pay N40 billion for Earned Allowances and N30 billion for the revitalization of the university system bringing the total payment to N70 billion.

It was further reported that the Government agreed to settle the arrears of salaries of the lecturers before December 31.

The report also noted that ASUU was expected to report the agreement to its organs and then communicate their decision to the government after which a date for the calling off of the strike would be announced.

It quoted a source within the university union, that ASUU insisted that the agreement to call off the strike should not be announced until it has been approved by its members.

But ASUU President, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, has denied knowledge of any agreement to call off the strike, stressing that at the meeting, it was only agreed that union should convey Government message to their organs and get back to Government.

Prof. Ogunyemi, said: ”I am not aware of that. All I know is that we had a meeting and we are going to report to our members. But I don’t know about suspension of strike.”

However, a source in the Ministry of Labour and Employment, said that after the meeting, the Minister, Senator Ngige, who described the meeting as “fruitful,” added that the government made a proposal to ASUU which it would take back to its members.

Ngige told reporters after the meeting that, “Many issues were discussed at the meeting including salary shortfall, the payment system and revitalization of the university system. I am positive that all the issues would be resolved at our next meeting.”

Friday’s meeting was about the seventh time both sides have met to resolve the issues in contention since the university union embarked on strike on March 23.

After the meeting of last Friday November 20, Government agreed to exempt ASUU members who had not enrolled in the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) and put them on the Government Integrated Financial and Management Information System (GIFMIS) pending when ASUU’S preferred payment platform- the University Transparency and Accountability Solution (UTAS) will be approved.

ASUU had consistently rejected IPPIS, stressing that it will erode the autonomy of the university system.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/11/no-agreement-yet-to-suspend-strike-%e2%80%95-ASUU/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

8 Likes

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Mutemenot(m): 7:56am On Nov 28, 2020
cheesy FG and ASUU should have mercy, we need our babes back to school ...infact we 're tired of our street babes, we need fresh ones ...

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by ojun50(m): 8:01am On Nov 28, 2020
if dey like dey not resume

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by swiz123(m): 8:06am On Nov 28, 2020
I knew this was just the case.

Bloggers just like making catchy headlines.

28 Likes

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by TONYE001(m): 8:11am On Nov 28, 2020
Sincerely, na wa.

Please if you are a parent reading this, if you can, ensure your children don’t study in this country. After their secondary education, send them out of this country.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by osamz007: 8:12am On Nov 28, 2020
FG O ASUU O NON ASUU O ALL DEY VERY STUPID

NA OUR EDUCATION UNA DEY USE PLAY LUDO

TONYE001:
Sincerely, na wa.

Please if you are a parent reading this, if you can, ensure your children don’t study in this country. After their secondary education, send them out of this country.

ASWEAR EVEN IF NA KIGALI, RWANDA

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 8:14am On Nov 28, 2020
swiz123:

And some students are already rejoicing, Lolz
they aren't done yet with negotiating, and ASUU can't trust the government until they fulfil their promise

22 Likes

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 8:16am On Nov 28, 2020
TONYE001:
Sincerely, na wa.

My parents knew how bad schooling in Nigeria was that's why they sent me abroad to school and I will do same to my kids, Nigeria educational sector is dilapidated, the government doesn't give a damn which is really bad

28 Likes

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by ZAddyMaGista(m): 8:19am On Nov 28, 2020
Both ASUU oo, FG oo thunder faya all of em. dey use us catch cruise.. Foolish set of people!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Billionaire9ja(m): 8:22am On Nov 28, 2020
swiz123:

You knew or you wished.

What is your problem with bloggers. True they can be peddlers or misinformation but what makes you any different. Punchng.com posted it on their twitter. How him take concern bloggers

4 Likes

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Alphamale101(m): 8:23am On Nov 28, 2020
ASUU don talk am say we should go and marry

By now my wife water for don break grin grin

11 Likes

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by TopeQs: 8:26am On Nov 28, 2020
It's obvious almost 9 months at home has made many students read and not understand.

ASUU has not called off strike, ASUU "agreed", as soon as government starts disbursing the agreed fee.
Knowing how our government is, it's fingers crossed.

Strike continues, till further notice.

Please, if you are a Nigerian parent and you come across this.

Try hard not to send your wards to Government owned institutions in Nigeria, especially federal govt owned.

Private or abroad would be best. No FG will hold your ward down for 8 months over ⅓ of NASS budget..70bn.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Alphamale101(m): 8:26am On Nov 28, 2020
They should kukuma pass everybody cuz me I don't know wat am going to write Sha wen school resumes

Make I catch any MF wey go cover book for hall first or I ask weytin 1 b you no answer on time wink wink we die there

7 Likes

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by internationalman(m): 8:29am On Nov 28, 2020
Let them abolish higher institution in Nigeria..

Anyone vying for a job should just be employed and made to go through their training there...

Kindergarten, primary and secondary schools are enough..

University is a waste of 4 precious years in this harsh economy.

Most people that went straight to learn a skill as soon as they left secondary are well to do than most that further their education into higher institution..

Make nobody quote me oh because I'm entitled to the privilege to air my opinion.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by khingTony(m): 8:37am On Nov 28, 2020
I expected this cheesy grin
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 28, 2020
Ikillbrokehoes:
My parents knew how bad schooling in Nigeria was that's why they sent me abroad to school and I will do same to my kids, Nigeria educational sector is dilapidated, the government doesn't give a damn which is really bad
hehe everything is audio,good morning though
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 9:01am On Nov 28, 2020
Zzor:
hehe everything is audio,good morning though
I wish my certificates are here with me, unfortunately it's in Nigeria so that I can prove fake ass like you wrong
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Drfifa: 9:06am On Nov 28, 2020
Warris all this na?
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by reccy(m): 9:18am On Nov 28, 2020
My own be say eh, i kuku no say this year na waste. Make dem allow me finish wetin ah dy do.
Make dem wait till january na den ah get time for study.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Nobody: 9:23am On Nov 28, 2020
You people better call of the strike the dollar is going to 500Naira by the time you finish you would realize they have paid you less dollarwise better wise up.
Except Nigeria change its ways and stop bragging about $35billion to cover export when the only serious commodity they export is oil and 80% of what they import can be produce locally.
Countries like Japan,China,Germany are taking in Trillions of dollars we are still sha billion we are bragging..

It seem we are kukuma not reading the news Biden winning means electric cars would be very much mass produce in the U. S it is only a matter of time before the world's join so what would happen to our mono economy.
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by successismine01(m): 9:36am On Nov 28, 2020

1 Like

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Honduras01: 9:40am On Nov 28, 2020
swiz123:

nope

even punch newspaper used the same headline " ...agrees to suspend strike..."
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by TONY042(m): 9:44am On Nov 28, 2020
Party have scatter
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by successismine01(m): 9:47am On Nov 28, 2020
9ja news ooo
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Teena18(f): 9:52am On Nov 28, 2020
ASUU and FG have always been at loggerheads since time immemorial, the consistent strike is just another insult on the old archaic and ancient curriculum, this country is way behind! studying in Nigeria is not worth it.

1 Like

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Aquilapriscilla: 10:02am On Nov 28, 2020
See what ASUU is doing to us

Please watch my video and learn from my mistake
If you are in sss3 or just finished secondary school please if you have money write standardized test like SAT, IELTS and Cambridge Alevels
A word is enough for the wise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfppF-zwjt4

1 Like

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Mastakija(m): 10:07am On Nov 28, 2020
at this junction
i durn wanna know o cuz i dont give a dam!
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Uyi168: 10:15am On Nov 28, 2020
internationalman:
Let them abolish higher institution in Nigeria..

Anyone vying for a job should just be employed and made to go through their training there...

Kindergarten, primary and secondary schools are enough..

University is a waste of 4 precious years in this harsh economy.

Most people that went straight to learn a skill as soon as they left secondary are well to do than most that further their education into higher institution..

Make nobody quote me oh because I'm entitled to the privilege to air my opinion.
.if we adopt this ur approach, how do we train our medical doctors, nurses and pharmacists as well as other professional

5 Likes

Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Nobody: 10:59am On Nov 28, 2020
Kwanza:
Previous thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/6284118/ASUU-agrees-call-off-strike
Ngige told reporters after the meeting that, “Many issues were discussed at the meeting including salary shortfall, the payment system and revitalization of the university system. I am positive that all the issues would be resolved at our next meeting.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/11/no-agreement-yet-to-suspend-strike-%e2%80%95-ASUU/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Lalasticlala
Fynestboi
Mynd44
I read this paragraph in the other thread. This does not mean the strike is ending soon, at least not this year.
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by mojoyin73585: 11:03am On Nov 28, 2020
ASUU don talk am say we should go and marry By now my wife water for don break
Re: No Agreement Yet To Suspend Strike ― ASUU by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 28, 2020
Uyi168:
.if we adopt this ur approach, how do we train our medical doctors, nurses and pharmacists as well as other professional
They will go and learn as apprentice from Professionals. It will be cheaper, faster and more of practicals than theory. There were those professions before the advent of university education. University only make it civilised and formal.

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

100-level Student To Die By Hanging In Benue / Yisa Usman Arraigned For Threatening Oloyede’s Wife To Blackmail Her Husband / National Open University Of Nigeria: How Reliable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.