Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) (1787 Views)

Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched / Ibeno Beach, Akwa-ibom: Longest Sand Beach In West Africa! (pix inside) / Liberia The Crystal Of West Africa. (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 12:28pm On Nov 06, 2008
I was at Conakry for the past two weeks as part of a delegate to grace the 50th anniversary of the country independence. Take a deep breath and ride with me to explore this beautiful West Africa Country.

The reason why i tagged the country as the blend of West Africa is because it has a fusion of three of the sub-region most important tribes. The Fula (Fulani) The Madingos (An hybrid of the Hausa language) and the Susu (closest cousins of the Yoruba tribe)

Area: 245,860 sq km (95,00 sq miles)

Population: 9.2 million (2006 UN estimate)

Capital City: Conakry (population: 1.4 million, 2005 UN estimate)

The people » Religions

More than eight-tenths of the population is Muslim, and a small percentage is Christian, mostly Roman Catholic. A minority of Guineans continue to follow local traditional religious practices.

The economy » Resources
Guinea has from one-third to one-half of the world’s known reserves of bauxite, plus significant reserves of high-grade iron ore at Mount Nimba and the Simandou Mountains. Alluvial gold is taken from the Niger and its tributaries, and diamond production is substantial and largely of gem-quality stones. The southeastern rain forest has some valuable species of tropical hardwoods, and both river and ocean fisheries yield large catches of food fish. Hydroelectric potential is considerable because of the high rainfall and deep gorges of the Fouta Djallon but has been only partially developed, largely to meet the demands of the alumina sector.

The people » Ethnic and linguistic composition
The four major geographic regions largely correspond to the areas inhabited by the major linguistic groups. In Lower Guinea the major language of Susu has gradually replaced many of the other indigenous languages and is a lingua franca for most of the coastal population. In the Fouta Djallon the major language is Pulaar (a dialect of Fula, the language of the Fulani), while in Upper Guinea the Malinke (Maninkakan) language is the most widespread. The Forest Region contains the linguistic areas, from east to west, of Kpelle (Guerzé), Loma (Toma), and Kisi.

Currency: Guinean Franc. (GNF)

Major political parties: The main political parties are: Parti de l'Unite et du Progres (PUP) (in power); Union pour le Progrès de la Guinée (UPG); Union pour le Progrès et le Renouveau (UPR); Union des Forces Republicaines (UFR) and the Rassemblement du Peuple de Guinée (RPG), which is not represented in parliament.

Head of State: President General Lansana Conté

Prime Minister: Tidiane Souare

Foreign Minister: Abdoul Kabele Camara

Membership of international groupings/organisations: United Nations (UN), African Union (AU), Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC), Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), African Development Bank (AFDB), Mano River Union (MRU).
Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 1:01pm On Nov 06, 2008
smiley smiley smiley

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 1:02pm On Nov 06, 2008
smiley smiley

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 1:02pm On Nov 06, 2008
:d :d

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 1:11pm On Nov 06, 2008
Inside Conakary

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 1:12pm On Nov 06, 2008
The most popular GSM provider

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 1:13pm On Nov 06, 2008
Inside Musée national.

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 1:14pm On Nov 06, 2008
Musée national has acient actifects

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 1:17pm On Nov 06, 2008
More from the Musée national

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 1:18pm On Nov 06, 2008
Photo accueil palais du peuple. (group pix )

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by Sammy107d(m): 1:19pm On Nov 06, 2008
kip em komin. good stuff. was d president at that parade? because i doesnt luk very well. and u av and long shot pics? u know, wit d city
Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 1:31pm On Nov 06, 2008
Sammy107_d:

kip em komin. good stuff. was d president at that parade? because i doesnt luk very well. and u av and long shot pics? u know, wit d city

I guess that explains why came late and left early before i could had a clean shot.

The Central Mosque.

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by morpheus24: 2:57pm On Nov 06, 2008
MC USMAN

i see you dey trtavell well well. Good for you. keep up the good work . WEST AFRICA ALL THE WAY.
Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by ztyle(m): 3:48pm On Nov 06, 2008
Guy Travel Wetin na UN dey carry em travel oh!  grin
Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 5:24pm On Nov 06, 2008
ztyle:

Guy Travel Wetin na UN dey carry em travel oh! grin

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 5:25pm On Nov 06, 2008
wink wink

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 5:27pm On Nov 06, 2008
smiley

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 5:28pm On Nov 06, 2008
wink wink

Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MrCrackles(m): 5:32pm On Nov 06, 2008
I had dinner with the president of Guinea last night

He his intelligent and has great plans for the country
Re: Guinea The Blend Of West Africa. (pix) by MCUsman(m): 5:44pm On Nov 06, 2008
MrCrackles:

I had dinner with the president of Guinea last night

He his intelligent and has great plans for the country

Woh.

(1) (Reply)

Any Agent On Nl That Can Write Undertaken At The Police For Secure Visa / Info About Ndlea Clearance / Nigerian Man Who Has Been In Abroad For Years Brought This Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.