Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

The Smiling Judge - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Smiling Judge (1026 Views)

Smiling While You Are Hurting / My Smiling Baby Boy / The Beauty Of Smiling Always (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Smiling Judge by presskid(m): 12:10am On Sep 29, 2014
On every occassion of my birthday I will be dropping a finished book written by me, this is the first of its kind by me. Its still a rough sketch, but I just wanted some give something out to all my well wishers on this joyful day of mine 29/09/2014, I'm so sure next year will be better.

MY BIRTHDAY PEICE
"On a faithful friday my four elder siblings left mum at home for school, when back mum wasn't at home to serve them lunch, but she wasn't out for no reason than to bring home bountiful addition,and that's was me, she delivered a baby boy. On september 29 a rare star was born. Omiyale Oladotun Olaoluwa Olajide(jnr). Happy birthday to me" (Narrated to me by Omiyale Olateju)

THE SMILING JUDGE
As I keep observing the alarming rate of unemployment in this country, I also observed the resilience of a minority group who still kept on the hustle battle and in addition to the my likeness to a particular sole organisation, I carved out this piece of work.
Right from the genesis of his life, Daniel has always been a promising boy, a boy life treated so well even when life had million reasons to frown at him.
Born into a financially challenged family, his parents tried as much as possible to provide his needs along with the needs of his siblings; he grew up so early to become independent.
Dan grew up to a man in time, at times his parents are always surprised at his attitudes towards life, always ready for any challenges like he has been fore warned, he grew up to become a minority who makes decision for the majority.
Education went smoothly as it could be for him in line with the capacity of his, though not the best, he was good and can never be ignored even by the best, always acknowledged for his creative skills in addressing situations and he's a man you don’t dare compete with as you would always come back to kiss his foot with tears, never harmful to his peers but always secured and cautious.
After his higher education, heading back home seems not to be the best option, going back home to be a liability even for a day? No, so he headed farther into the world in search of opportunities in order to make his own bones. He changed friends, location, responsibilities within two years of trying to be on his own, once a situation ceases to be productive, he strives to get something better but he never changed his woman who kept her belief in him.
Helen remained the only factor in his life he never wished to change, and he has always promised her a better future together, and for the kind of man he has always been, Helen kept her faith in him even though it was taking longer than expected, job opportunity never came as he thought it would be, and for the little ones he got, he’s always behind just because of the kind of human class he found himself.
Though his parents never forgot him, but there was no help they could render to salvage his situation, they still had more than enough to cater for with the little resources they in their purse, so they had no option than to leave him on his own and for the kind of man he his, he won’t quit.
The struggle was still tough as it appears, then a complication was added to his woes, Helen got pregnant, how will a jobless and penniless man cater for a pregnant woman, it’s not going to be easy as catering for a single and definitely there was no one who could help except for helen’s parents who can still conveniently afford to do this.
It wasn’t so suprising seeing Helen coming with her bags, he has witnessed many parents sending their daughter packing for a similar reason but why do you have to send the mother packing with her, until then Helen never revealed to dan that she never knew her father and has been living with his step dad all this while, the man had never wanted Helen under her roof, so it was a golden opportunity for him to send her out and the mother was just a joker, so even if sympathizer tried as much as possible to reconcile the woman with her husband, it wont be so easy to do that for Helen and since there’s someone responsible for the pregnancy, she’s not too young to live with a man.
Dan faced life squarely like he has always done, he informed his parents about his addition, but worned them not to bother about paying a visit or expect them. Though not easy, Dan tried as much as possible to take care of his baby carrier.
Dan has always been a legit business dealer all his life, so he refused when he met an old friend who knew he going to be a very good asset to his smuggling business and other shady business, though quite rewarding, when leaving his friend, Dan told him never to expect him again.
A week later, Helen was hospitalized as a result of being diagnosed with appendicitis, what a poor boy, there was no one he could contact and needed to save her life, the condition was so stringent that he could not afford fold his arms, he was told that he could lose his wife or both but if not given necessary attention in time, Helens life will be lost, if it were to be the baby alone, he could have afforded the loss but the thought of losing his dear Helen made him shiver to his toe .Dan went back to hid friend who loaned him the whole medical bills as a result of working with him.
He has always known shone to be a cultist while on campus, now he’s a smuggler, shone smuggles contrabands within the state and hands them over for instant payment, though the work was super rewarding but not safe, for the first week Dan worked with shone, he knew he life style has face an opposite direction, but never informed his wife who Is almost due for delivery. Working with shone appeared dangerous so much that he never revealed his personal life to anyone in this same shoes with him, he once witnessed one of shone’s partner burial, the lad was buried along with his wife and kid, they were murdered in cold blood as a result of a business deal which went wrong, the lad transacted with some people without shone’s consent, he was boycotted a day to delivery, they never paid him, took away the consignment and his family and framed him for murdering his family, shone couldn’t afford him talking to the law enforcement agency so he no choice than to send him to his family out of his so called sympathy. Knowing this, he kew keeping distance from his family will be the best as he wont want them in harms way.
Shone had his own territory which he operates and his being known for the territory, and no one dares make any dealings of his similar busibess there. Things went on well for Dan, his standard of living radiated and Helen is taking good care of his son making sure he lacked nothing, he made hi parent felt it that he is now getting something good out of life, but he made sure no one came closer to him more than they were before.
Dan was so instrumental to shone’s business so much that he ranked next to shone, he became relevant and well respected in the territory and also other territory knew well of him, at times shone sits and watch Dan coordinate the affairs of his business, the kind of man he turned Dan to made him so happy, very cool headed and very rootless when situation demands that from him, his decisions are just perfect, but to Dan, his life made no meaning to him anymore, even his wife new less of him as he became a weird man all of a sudden, he will only come to visit once in a while and will always be security conscious, ha has changed their house thrice within two years for reasons best known to him, he even gave his son a different surname and will always warn Helen that the less she knew the safer, he once came home in the middle of the night and asked Helen to start packing, he took them to a border town where they lodged for three weeks until he anonymously sent them a message to move down to a new apartment in a different city.
Things took a new turn for Dan when he became the head of the territory after shone lost his life in shootout which happened as a result of an attack on their territory, Dan was just lucky to to escape through a slim chance after he watched his friend being shot at a close range by the police, though it was reported as a raid in the news but it was masterminded by a bigger businessman who saw them as a stumbling block, but majority believed it was a police raid, but would they have murdered his friend, he should have been arrested and prosecuted according to law, Dan knew what happened but not the master minder.
Helen was not so surprised when Dan came out of the blue again and informed her that she will be having an interview session at the Canadian embassy, she wondered why Dan could have planned such a thing without telling her, he had previously shut her away from her friends and her mother who only hears from her once in a blue moon, but Dan is no more the Man she used to question, she so much feared her since the day he threatened to take three years old son away from her and frame her for selling the boy which could make her spend the rest of her life in jail if she persist in causing Dan headaches for his actions, so she had no choice than to comply when she even knew Dan won’t be moving with them.
His family was the only thing he could possibly look back as he embarks on his new agenda; the territory will still stand once again with a respected head but in a different direction, most of the guys so much believed in him so it wasn’t difficult to get them in line, Dan bounced backed to business so much that it surprised their business community, but became more serious than before, he successfully formed an organized crime clan successfully as different hits occurred on his listed rivals and anyone who appeared as a threat, he venturing into legal business and protection racketeering made him more respected, no business operates within his territory without his clan’s protection, his territory became a den no one would dare enter even law enforcement wouldn’t try to dare him as the major one are on his payroll, as small as the territory was, it became one of the most respected and Dan himself became a DON but still far from the victory he wanted.
Helen day by day was becoming more independent in Canada where Dan made them to reside as she already has a business venture right there but even at that Dan still sends her money like he does always so that in the event of any unfavorable circumstance, he won’t be missed by his family, john who is Dan’s son is growing up with a lot of questions about his father, Dan has only visited them once in two years since they left the country, and it was even out of Canada and after then they’ve been talking over the phone.
As time went on, trouble came knocking again, a money trail directed financial crime agents to Dan and upon which they Dan had to be arrested, they discovered that his legit business as been used a s a tool to launder the money he has been making from illegal means and thereby revealing most of the dealings his organization has been making, this led to some of his clan’s member being locked up and he was released on bail, if things ended up the way its heading, it’s going to be a problem for him so he had to do everything necessary to salvage the situation, in the process of fighting the battle, help came to him at a cost, a much bigger Don approached Dan and gave him an offer, he so much loved the way he has been operating in his territory and will so much like to have him on his side, dan is at the verge of losing everything and also spending the rest of his life in jail but the negativity can be averted if he hands over the whole territory to the don and also become part of his clan and assist him in building a well organized crime association, it’s not a difficult thing getting you out of this mess if you accept my offer, the feds will hands off this case and you will be free only if you accept my offer he told Dan.
The Don became a capon, still respected but not as when he was still a don, his name increased the respect of his new boss and his clan, Dan achieved all his boss wanted for him and got him to the peak he wanted, he never stopped taking over Dan’s territory, he took over more with the help of Dan and he became the biggest and strongest, other well respected territory still carries out their businesses under him, the Don as time went on had no one else he could trust after losing his son who was his right-hand man, the only man left was Dan. Dan became part of his family, but Dan remained a tool for his wealth acquisition, but had nothing of his own.
It came as a shock to every corner when it was realized that all business belonging to Don Lucas has been suspended from activities until financial crimes commission concludes investigations about his illegal activities, this happened as a result of facts received from an anonymous source identifies a quite number of police on the payroll of Don Lucas, after been arrested and questioned, revealing made led to investigating Don Lucas businesses himself, all clients under his protection racketeer suffered as a result of this, some were arrested, while some closed down and absconded, while this was happening, hits were carried out on major members of his clan by some rival clans who has been lurking around looking for a way to bring down Don Lucas, he so much organized crime organization became so porous that it was so easy for the law enforcement agency to infiltrate, within a little time the organization was tearing apart, every nook and cranny in which Don Lucas names leads the police to are being wiped clean, it was so pathetic that every his fixer Dan couldn’t do anything to salvage his loss, instead of being locked up the Don and Dan were released on Bail, but its glaring that they are on their way to jail.
Its was their first hearing at the court, Don Lucas expected Dan at the court before him but he was surprised when he didn’t, but was shocked when one of his attorneys informed him about a tragic incident at Dan’s residence in early hours of the day, now its just him alone, there was a heavy shoot out at dan’s residence and after which the house was set ablaze the house was completely burnt before fire fighters came around, two bodies were recovered and one of them were confirmed to be Dan’s.
The prison uniform is just his size, Don Lucas has been sentenced to life in prison, but after the appeal of his powerful attorneys, he was sentenced to 5 years each on ten count cgarges and was allowed to run them concurrently, he still hoped to get back to business after his jail term but all his hopes were cut short when he met Brinard in jail, brinard worked with Dan right fro when he was with shone through to when \dan formed his organized crime organization, he went to jail when Dan was charged with money laundry and has a year left when Don Lucas came in, when Brinard was about getting free he took Don Lucas into the past, Shone wasn’t killed in a fire shootout, he was shot at close range by the police men you sent to raid our territory then and we would never have known if not for your sone who was part of the raid, he was the one who dropped Shone, you could have gone away with this if you stayed put to that, but you still had your eyes on Dan’s business after killing his boss, he knew want you wanted quit alright and gave it to you, you would have thought he was so stupid when he employed the man you planted to watched shone again, Dan only wanted you to know what he was doing, and for the money laundering it wasn’t a mistake it was palnned, we made you the first to know so that you can play your balls so well and you did, the only error was that the judge that was supposed to preside over my case died and that was why I landed here, your son didn’t die a a result of accident, Dan planned his death so you would have no choice than to put all your hopes in him, and right now this is the end game you lost all you had just because you wanted the whole world in your pocket.
Don Lucas lost his whole composure and shivered has he listened to Brinard, he never for once imagine that Dan Knew about his actions all this while, he would have hesitated in killing his own son if he had knew he took part I the raid, for of his personal soldiers whom he sent with the police he murdered immediately after the raid just to avert a boomerang but he wasn’t so careful.
A week later Brinard was released from prison, a week after being released, he travelled to Ghana where he got a new passport and travelling documents to Rio after he already faked his death in Nigeria, landing in Rio he was welcomed by a team of men who lead him to their boss sitting in a very exquisite Range Rover sport, he wanted to enter, the there wouldn’t be enough room to give a warm hug, so the boss had to come down of the vehicle, Dan came down and gave Brinard a warm hug, Don Lucas? Dan asked, he was buried lalst week, I told him you said hello; they laughed and got into to the vehicle and drove off.
Until John turned Seven, Helen and her son never enjoyed a family happiness as they now moved to Ireland where Dan now completely lives with them operation a legit business with his partner Brinard.

Poem:
THE BLACK IDENTITY
"I'm black cos the white man understands d nature of colour before my fathers, but I'm an african ever before the white man was born. He calls me black yet their sons still wear tattoos as their culture, aint ever seen a white tattoo, the black has to be written on white. Black is thick, Black is irresistible, Black is rich, Black is Versatile. I'm Black n Proud"
Black Doesn't Mean Dark

All rights reserved by the author,
Omiyale Oladotun Olaoluwa Olajide(jnr)
Fb:horlardortun luchhese watercuzo
Tw:@watercuzo
Bbm:2B4A6113

(1) (Reply)

-A True Life Story You Need To Read- Enjoy / Clearing House: Our Playground (the Last King Of Unwashed)-A short narrative / How To Obtain ISBN In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.