Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

Why Is Our Happiness And Emotional Health Influenced So Much Through Technology? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Is Our Happiness And Emotional Health Influenced So Much Through Technology? (668 Views)

Dr. Paul Orhii Leaves NAFDAC In An Emotional Ceremony (photos / Signs To Note If Your Partner Is Having An Emotional Affairs / The Pursuit Of Happiness: 15 Lessons To Keep In Mind (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Our Happiness And Emotional Health Influenced So Much Through Technology? by 9jageek: 3:10am On Sep 29, 2014
I can remember only a few times of recent that I hit a mood low or a mood high without seeing or reading whatever caused the swing from an email or a webpage. We are so attached to technology, I mean really deeply emotionally attached, not just addiction to our phones or the Internet.

It's weird that we now (especially those of us fully immersed into technology and make our livings building or marketing it) feel our happiest and/or saddest not through interacting directly with our fellow humans, but by interacting with their avatars or messages we receive electronically and read on our devices.

Either receiving an email about a job or a funding, or having your follow request turned down by your Instagram crush, these could all be extreme highs or lows for your mood and to another person whom isn't you, they may find it hard to understand why you are suddenly excited or looking somber from just looking at the screen you have held too close to your face.

We have trusted our deepest emotions on something that may or may not be real. We get attracted to people on social media without ever knowing what's really behind the screen at the other end of the conversation. Anyone who had used Yahoo messenger before Facebook and Twitter knows that some bots can actually hold a conversation.

Even worse, sometimes we make faces of the smileys we are about to send to whomever we are chatting with. Yes I have smiled hard before sending a big smile and frowned in real life before sending that angry face smiley. Some of us probably blow kisses and raise their eyebrows before sending such smileys.

May be this is a stage in the evolution of our emotions and we can't just cut the cord, disconnect or throw these devices away. These devices are not turning us into Cyborgs but they are probably changing the way we feel emotional about the events in our lives.

Companies like http://outbrain.com have studied our online emotional behaviors and are cashing in ad dollars on the data. Their banners are created and written to push our emotional buttons like curiosity, surprise and more and they have huge click through rates compared to any other banners and can now be found on many top sites like most major news sites.

Research has shown that our buying decisions are generally based on emotions not rationality and if this is so, no wonder tech companies have such huge valuations since technology controls a lot of our emotional behavior now. Companies that can tap into our emotions also have the advantage of spreading virally. Take a look at the growth of social networks, they don't make us feel like we are dealing with technology, they make us feel like we are dealing with other people. Which is true, technology is just the channel. Now, special (emotional channels) sites like http://singful.com that let you customize greeting songs, wedding, birthday and welcome home songs and send to your loved ones' emails are making us resort to technology to emotionally connect with our loved ones.

Whenever you receive a Singful message and smile, you automatically start thinking about others you could also send such messages to and make them that happy. In my experience, I sent my Mum a song called "Dear Mom" and coincidentally her birthday was just days away so I went back to the site to send her a birthday song, now she is planning to return the favor this month.

Even though a few psychologist warn us about what technology is doing to our feelings and how addiction to it can rewire our brains, I think it's not all bad. It can be used to manipulate our emotions but it doesn't hurt to find a way to make people you love feel good.

Re: Why Is Our Happiness And Emotional Health Influenced So Much Through Technology? by aliyud: 3:44am On Sep 29, 2014
i think this is why there is a rise in the diagnoses of clinical depression and other mental health conditions. If we are going to be addicted to something, we should make sure we don't witness withdrawal depression or something like that. If technology can be used to make us genuinely happy, then we should embrace it. If not, then we should stay away. just my 2 cents sha undecided

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

You Want To Have Your Baby In United States & Needs Affordable Accommodation / French Man Develops Pills That Makes Fart Smell Like Flowers Or Chocolate / If You Need To Consult A Dietitian, Call 08179251589

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.