Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,022 members, 7,814,495 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi (3015 Views)

Fuel Crisis: Marketers Deny Receiving Payment From Govt, Say Strike Continues / Jonathan Places Pa Akinkunmi On Lifetime Salary, Gives Out Houses To Steward / My Son’s Resignation From Govt Shocking -oba Of Benin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Orikinla(m): 8:48pm On Sep 29, 2014
Nigeria’s flag designer, PA TAIWO AKINKUNMI (77) finds joy in old age

Among all the houses on Emerald Street, Dugbe, Ibadan, Oyo State, Pa Michael Taiwo Akinkunmi’s house stands out! Its uniqueness is neither because it is the most beautiful, nor the most expensive with the state-of-the-art facilities. But because this edifice is the only house painted in the symbolic national colours of green and white, the colours of the Nigeria’s national flag he designed 55 years ago.

“Is this Mr. Akinkunmi’s house, the man that designed Nigeria’s flag?” we enquired from one of the occupants of the house, which now serves more commercial purpose than residential. She answered in the affirmative, “But Baba is no more living here!” she added.”He turned this house to shops some years back, after which he relocated to his new house at Aiyepe, within Academy area, off Iwo Road, Ibadan.”

Aiyepe is about 25 km drive from Dugbe. Although, not easy to locate because it has no house address, we got a chartered car that took us to the three-bedroom bungalow reportedly built for him by the former Oyo State governor, Alao Akala. The area is under-developed and the road leading to the house is not motorable because of the obvious damage caused by erosion. So, we alighted and trekked.

Ironically, Mr. Akinkunmi’s new place is not only painted in green, white and green but the finest in the bushy and isolated area. Yet lacks some basic amenities that one would begin to wonder if the man of such honour stays in that building.

Around 2:30pm on Wednesday, October 3, 2013, Pa Akinkunmi welcomed ENCOMIUM Weekly’s correspondent to his house. And for the more than 45 minutes with him, no single person entered, either to entertain us or ask if the old man would be in need of anything.

From our findings, there are supposed to be domestic servants attached to him by the Oyo State Government, but none were available throughout our stay. “Do you live here alone?” we asked him. “No”, he responded, “I have messengers and househelps.”

“What about your children?” we asked further. The 77-year old Mechanical Engineering graduate, who speaks incoherently, said, “Some of them are based abroad while most of them are in Nigeria, but not staying with me. Although they come around.”

Pa Michael, who was putting on a green cap, might be a lonely man, but he’s aware of happenings in the country. As usual, there was no electricity, but his mini-radio working on battery is always on 24/7 where he listened to news. At the time we got to his house, he was listening to koko inu-iwe iroyin (briefs from the dailies).

“Can we start the interview proper? Do you want it done in Yoruba or English?” our correspondent asked, and his reply was, “I am very good at the two, depending on the one you choose.”

Can you tell us briefly about yourself?

(Paused for minutes before he responded) I was born in 1936. I was born here in Ibadan and I was with my father till age 8 when he relocated to the North. He was a civil servant and when he retired, we returned home. I continued my school here and when I graduated, I went to work at the Secretariat, saved some money and went for further education overseas. I studied Electrical Engineering at Norwich Technical College, West Norwich, UK. I returned home, got a job again at the Ministry of Agriculture, and I was there till I retired.

Before I retired, I was opportuned to be interviewed by the then governor, Alao Akala, who asked me what I wanted. I told him I wanted convenience after labour. I was later given a house through the governor, and the education of my children is being sponsored by the government.

You designed Nigerian flag. Can you still recollect how it all happened?

It was a competition and I was lucky to have come across the competition in a library. I took details of what and what is expected to design a flag that would be used by a country that was about to witness independence. I took part in the competition and my design was selected as the best. That was 1958!

How did you feel when you were declared the winner?

I was very pleased when I was informed that I won.

What was the prize?

I won a prize of N100, 000.

How old were you because N100,000 was a big money that time?

About 25.

And how would a 25 year old boy spend N100,000?

I collected a bit of necessities.

Yesterday (Tuesday, Oct 1) marked Nigeria’s 53rd birthday. How did you feel witnessing another independence anniversary?

I’m pleased to be alive to witness yet another independence anniversary. I’m glad I have been able to participate in the activities of the celebration.

How did you celebrate the independence?

People came to pick me for the celebration at the stadium. Before I went, I was interviewed by the members of National Television about my feeling concerning the independence celebration. After the whole activities, I was offered another vehicle that brought me home.

In what way do you think government can support you. What do you want from government?

I don’t have any feeling to ask for any favour from the Federal government because it’s a long time now since the flag has been in use for the country. Since 1960, and up till now, I have been enjoying my pension accordingly.

There are insinuations that you’ve been abandoned by the government. Is this true?

I don’t know what to say actually (Paused again). I have not been lacking anything.

What more favour do you want from government?

I don’t want any favour from government. I am not expecting anything from them.

‘My father deserves a national honour’ - AKINREMI

We later spoke with Pa Akinkunmi’s first son, Akinremi, who debunked some of what his father told us.

He said, “Some of what he told you are false. He doesn’t remember many things and I think it’s as a result of old age and health challenge. That’s why you always see someone with him, but I was surprised when you said you met nobody. That should be the fault of my sisters.”

According to him, it wasn’t Akala that built the house for him. “Don’t even let us talk about Akala! He was able to complete the building after several years through the N2 million awarded him by the telecommunications giant, MTN, when he was a guest at Who Wants to Be a Millionaire in 2008.

“Also, let me say this, none of his children is schooling abroad through any government scholarship”

“I’m the first born and I have three siblings, Folake, Omowunmi and Akinwunmi.”

Speaking further, Akinremi said, “When you visited the house, did you ask yourself if this is where somebody that designed Nigeria’s flag should be living? If this kind of life befits him? These are some of the facts to tell you that he has been abandoned.

“As you see him, he has not been recognised by the government for his feat. Not even Member of Order of the Niger (MON). Or do you think he doesn’t deserve it more than the recipients of the yearly awards. Federal government knows he exists. May be when he dies, that’s when they would recognise him?

PRESIDENT JONATHAN’S REACTION

When President Goodluck Jonathan was asked his plans for Pa Akinkunmi during the Presidential chat with a group of editors on Saturday, September 28, 2013, he didn’t say any particular plans for the hero who is yet to be honoured.

President Jonathan only said the government would do something for him, but stressed that should be the responsibility of non-governmental organisations.

– RASHEED ABUBAKAR

Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 29, 2014
ok
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by aforosco(m): 9:15pm On Sep 29, 2014
front page material
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by mogentle(m): 9:56pm On Sep 29, 2014
100,000 naira in 1958!!!
Wow!!!! that's an equivalence of about 50million naira these days.

My calculation: Brand new VW Beetle and Datsun panel van as at 1981 (23 years after 1958) were sold for #3,000 each. #100,000 will surely buy minimum of 30-33 units. Assuming such cars are sold for #1.5-2million these days, 33 units will be around 45 to 60million. The man was really rewarded to be candid. Well, thank God for 2015, GEJ has remembered him.

3 Likes

Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by RockMaxi: 10:10pm On Sep 29, 2014
What was the prize?
I won a prize of N100, 000.
How old were you because N100,000 was a big
money that time?
About 25.
And how would a 25 year old boy spend
N100,000?
I collected a bit of necessities.

Sir Akinkunmi, to be honest you've really enjoyed the labour of our heroes past. Haba! Even now, you have to be grateful to God and GEJ. I also learnt you retired from Fed.Min of Agric in 1994...Hmm no comment again. grin grin
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 29, 2014
I don't understand this. The man entered into a competition, he won #100,000, which should be about N50m-N60m as at that time. He worked in the Civil Service and retired honorably. he recieves his pension and other benefits, so what else do the government owe him financially? Yes he deserves a National Award and Nothing more. We need to spend on important issues and leave these trivial issues for Corporate Bodies and NGOs.

4 Likes

Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Descartes: 10:24pm On Sep 29, 2014
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by mogentle(m): 11:14pm On Sep 29, 2014
barcanista: I don't understand this. The man entered into a competition, he won #100,000, which should be about N5m as at that time. He worked in the Civil Service and retired honorably. he recieves his pension and other benefits, so what else do the government owe him financially? Yes he deserves a National Award and Nothing more. We need to spend on important issues and leave these trivial issues for Corporate Bodies and NGOs.
@Bacanista, equating #100,000 in 1958 to the present #5million is a no way. That money can not be less than #50million. You can check my analysis above. I feel the money was not wisely invested. If such money had been wisely invested, the man should be a millionaire by now. Apologies.
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by whitecat1: 11:22pm On Sep 29, 2014
If most of what the man said are false according to his son due to early dementia, then I want to believe the 100,000 naira wasn't true also. And hey it doesn't really matter.
Also, what is Nigeria owing those that are receiving the awards from the federal govt? Gosh!!! I hate double standard!

Jonathan hates Yoruba, this is the reason this man was not honored.

No one, I repeat, no one is more deserving of their award than Pa Akinkumi but, his tribe is the reason Jonathan won't honor him.

Don't worry grandpa, Buhari will honor you as our new president.

APC abeg pull baba in joo! Campaign instruments in the hands of opposition fast.
barcanista: I don't understand this. The man entered into a competition, he won #100,000, which should be about N5m as at that time. He worked in the Civil Service and retired honorably. he recieves his pension and other benefits, so what else do the government owe him financially? Yes he deserves a National Award and Nothing more. We need to spend on important issues and leave these trivial issues for Corporate Bodies and NGOs.
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Nobody: 11:42pm On Sep 29, 2014
mogentle:
@Bacanista, equating #100,000 in 1958 to the present #5million is a no way. That money can not be less than #50million. You can check my analysis above. I feel the money was not wisely invested. If such money had been wisely invested, the man should be a millionaire by now. Apologies.
My thought exactly! How can such a man with such opportunity and an exCivil servant for that matter live in penury? Clearly, this man mismanaged whatever he got/gets fro the government. I feel embarrassed when people say Nigeria forgets them, when in real sense the country do not owe them a dime.
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by musaajebor(m): 12:23am On Sep 30, 2014
IMO i think that old man in d first place did not deserve the 100k awarded for designing a common flag. haba !!!

But jonathan paying him monthly salary in addition to his pension at that age is plain clueless
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by plendil: 12:24am On Sep 30, 2014

It may sound a tad harsh, but I have to agree with you. He entered into a competition, he won and was duly rewarded. It should end there.

I don't have a problem with the national award, but salary for life seems overboard, IMO. Its not like he laid down life or anything for cryin out loud!
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by plendil: 12:27am On Sep 30, 2014
BTW it wasn't N100,000, I believe the prize money was 100 pounds (our currency then).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by cybergee(m): 12:56am On Sep 30, 2014
the opportunity of 1958 speaking even forever. Every time there is an opportunity don't under estimate the possibility for forever reward.
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Nobody: 1:21am On Sep 30, 2014
Since he's duly compensated for his effort,then the government owes him nothing.

On the other hand,he's a national hero,who at least deserved little compensation.

2 Likes

Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by publicenemy(m): 1:29am On Sep 30, 2014
Electionns are close....they want tto appear like jesus christ....

That man designed that flag decades ago...na now when e wan die them remembber am abi....oh...elections are next year...

No wonder.

Life time salary....lMAO.. Will he spend another 20yrs?

I pray he does though.
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by tpia1: 2:23am On Sep 30, 2014
His house is not bad though.
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by manck2: 2:27am On Sep 30, 2014
that is another 419 story of the century.

that is a story for another day

this was part of the cover up for the crime of occupation. look at the coin.. 1959.. but he now design his flag in 1960.. 419.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeoHA_IyLgs&list=UUb87BDP4HGsiqBllDwiejIQ

1 Like

Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Nobody: 2:36am On Sep 30, 2014
plendil:

It may sound a tad harsh, but I have to agree with you. He entered into a competition, he won and was duly rewarded. It should end there.

I don't have a problem with the national award, but salary for life seems overboard, IMO. Its not like he laid down life or anything for cryin out loud!
It is so annoying to see government wasting our common wealth in the name of being a nice daddy over trivial issues when there are important sectors to attend to. We keep having visionless leaders
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by juman(m): 2:43am On Sep 30, 2014
‘My father deserves a national honour’ - AKINREMI

We later spoke with Pa Akinkunmi’s first son, Akinremi, who debunked some of what his father told us.

He said, “Some of what he told you are false. He doesn’t remember many things and I think it’s as a result of old age and health challenge. That’s why you always see someone with him, but I was surprised when you said you met nobody. That should be the fault of my sisters.”

Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by manck2: 3:20am On Sep 30, 2014
[size=18pt]So his son is saying his father was telling a lie... 419 no good. Them catch old man 419...[/size]

1 Like

Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by manck2: 3:37am On Sep 30, 2014
shocked shocked shocked
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by brainpower(m): 4:56am On Sep 30, 2014
His son just told the whole nation that his father is now having amnesia cos he said the govt has been helping him. Who do we believe? He even indirectly shifted the blame of caring for his father to his sisters, something isn't right here. If I am a state governor and I meet the son, just 10minutes of talking with him I will see through him and know he is just being greedy and expecting too much from govt. The reporters didn't notice the man behaving like he isn't right in his senses, yet his son claims so. No wonder govts have not been really bothering about him, it was a competition, he reitred in civil service, he has two houses, his children are being taken care of. That his son must be a smart guy, he must have used his father's name to get a lot of help. Let him go out their and hussle to better the life of his father.
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Nutase: 5:21am On Sep 30, 2014
100,000 thinking........
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by philantoxx(m): 5:22am On Sep 30, 2014
better late than never
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by gratieao: 6:26am On Sep 30, 2014
Guy nawaa 4 your calculation o. N100,000 in 1958 is 50 - 60 million naira equivalent. My dad built his 5 bedroom bungalow with N5000 in 1989. The cost of 5bedroom bungalow is not less than N4 - 5 million in 2014. I don't know what they mean by federal government abandoned him.
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by gratieao: 6:28am On Sep 30, 2014
whitecat1: If most of what the man said are false according to his son due to early dementia, then I want to believe the 100,000 naira wasn't true also. And hey it doesn't really matter.
Also, what is Nigeria owing those that are receiving the awards from the federal govt? Gosh!!! I hate double standard!

Jonathan hates Yoruba, this is the reason this man was not honored.

No one, I repeat, no one is more deserving of their award than Pa Akinkumi but, his tribe is the reason Jonathan won't honor him.

Don't worry grandpa, Buhari will honor you as our new president.

APC abeg pull baba in joo! Campaign instruments in the hands of opposition fast.
He's Yoruba brother (OBJ) hate him more?
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 30, 2014
gratieao:
Guy nawaa 4 your calculation o. N100,000 in 1958 is 50 - 60 million naira equivalent. My dad built his 5 bedroom bungalow with N5000 in 1989. The cost of 5bedroom bungalow is not less than N4 - 5 million in 2014. I don't know what they mean by federal government abandoned him.
Wow, thanks. I will have to modify my comment. The Old Man is a greedy man if he wants any financial or material reward on top of what he has got handsomely
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by RockMaxi: 7:33am On Sep 30, 2014
barcanista: Wow, thanks. I will have to modify my comment. The Old Man is a greedy man if he wants any financial or material reward on top of what he has got handsomely

Guy choose your words but choose it wisely. shocked
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Symphony007: 7:34am On Sep 30, 2014
barcanista: I don't understand this. The man entered into a competition, he won #100,000, which should be about N50m-N60m as at that time. He worked in the Civil Service and retired honorably. he recieves his pension and other benefits, so what else do the government owe him financially? Yes he deserves a National Award and Nothing more. We need to spend on important issues and leave these trivial issues for Corporate Bodies and NGOs.
what else does government owe him? Seriously, but the same government maintains a mansion in abuja and their home state for thieving billionaire former heads of states, changed 5 cars regularly for them, give them furnishing allowance quarterly, a sizable pension and hundreds of other allowance, healthcare, govt covers all their travel expenses. We owe these scum all this but nothing to an honest patriot.
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by dridowu: 7:40am On Sep 30, 2014
If crook can be honoured in Nigeria then i think Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi deserve more than life time salary.
Re: I’m Not Expecting Anything From Govt - Pa Taiwo Akinkunmi by Nobody: 7:49am On Sep 30, 2014
Symphony007: what else does government owe him? Seriously, but the same government maintains a mansion in abuja and their home state for thieving billionaire former heads of states, changed 5 cars regularly for them, give them furnishing allowance quarterly, a sizable pension and hundreds of other allowance, healthcare, govt covers all their travel expenses. We owe these scum all this but nothing to an honest patriot.
who is a dishonest patriot? The government and the country owe him absolutely nothing except the national honor. That itself is at the prerogative of the government. The N500k as at 1958 should be more than enough. He was hired by a government ministry, he earns pension and was paid his emolument when he wwas retired. The government and Nigeria people owe him nothing, instead he ought to be grateful. It is absurd for him to be paid the Salary of a Presidential Aide when he never earned it. Jonathan is only playing to the galery. If I were to advise him, I willl strongly kick against such absurd move

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hypocrites, Come in and Tell Us Where & Who Are The Dogs & The baboons. / Nigeria On The Precipice!! Shame Of A Nation. white man on fuel search. / Nigeria Urged US And UK To Close Embassy Of Biafra And Voice Of Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.