Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,586 members, 7,823,533 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation (744 Views)

Getting The Right Case Study For Your Project Topic https://15projects.com/ / 5 Reasons Why You Should Observe Decorum On Nairaland / Devaluation And Its Economic Effects - Nigeria As A Case Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation by MrPeaceman(m): 9:28pm On Sep 29, 2014
Dear Nigerians and beyond, I briefly encapsulate these social ills, unprejudicedly. This is my observation, (maybe you concur) we all could be guilty of one or the other. We consciously or unconsciously exibit some of these behaviours, and it has a way of backfiring on us, directly or indirectly. We yearn that we need a change, we point at our leaders (I'm not justifying them), but the change must start from us. We should change or modify our attitude...
Our attitude on social media: The world is or almost now a global village. The social media is our image, as a fragment of a geographical region in that perceived village. The attitude we display on the internet reflects who we are, or we are judged by the standard of our character on the internet. Somebody from Germany could just be making a research on Nigerians, through the internet; and what he finds on forums are bunch of fights and hatred against ourselves. What does his mind tells him? Even here on Nairaland; I've seen some people make meaningless comments, instead of keeping mute when you don't know what to say. And what is the meaning of "First to comment?". I try to wonder if medals are given to comment first, even when they didn't make any meaningful comment. On another aspect; we criticize too much, and some of our facts are even baseless. Go to politics section, and see how people depricate and villify themselves, because of differ perceptions. They over speculate and even exaggerate what was done, and not done. They are just good at criticizing, sometimes, some people join the trend because others are saying the same thing, without knowing or understanding the main facts.
All these attitudes are expressed on the internet for the world to see. Remember anything you post on the internet can be seen or read by anybody, and the content of your words, gives the reader an impression about you. Before we post, let us think. Let us cultivate good internet habit. This facet of the discussion is too elaborate, let me stop here. To the next facet...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation by MrPeaceman(m): 10:10pm On Sep 29, 2014
Our attitude on the environment: We are humans, and we dwell in the enviroment. It is our duty to maintain the environment, and make it look like what we want it to be. (Thanks to environmental possibilism). Let me make it simple; "our environment should be kept clean" by us. Some of us don't even care. We eat, drink in public and lither the waste on our evironment. We have street waste bins, right? But some people don't even care to know. It can be dropped anywhere, they think. This people ofcourse, knows how to tidy their homes, but fail at the public level. Does cleanliness ought to be limited? These are why we find hips of refuses at major roads/streets. (Thanks to Calabar, the cleanest city), and also thanks to some sensible government administrations that provide waste bins, but how well do we compliment their effort by simply using them? We always blame government for everything, forgetting that we too, have a role to play. And when the consequences backfire, we blame the government for causing it. Do I need to still talk about the dangerous health hazards of this ill practices, that we already know? We take our selves to be civilised, we should be able to use our senses and conduct ourselves well in public. Put off "I don't care attitude", it concerns we all. This issue might appear simple, but we are guilty.
Our attitude on the road: Kudos, Nigerians drive well, but not totally well. Seems the problem is most traceable to hurriedness. We beat traffic, and we think its smartness. We some how speed alot, and overtake anyhow, and we think we are super riders. But the most problem I observed is in beating the traffic. Even when the traffic warders are not there; does that gives us the guts to disobey? Must we be forced to obey simple instructions all the time? We ought to show good conduct on the road and anywhere else. We beat queues, especially when hold up occurs, and we think we are smart. But we end up worsening the issue. Infact we like beating queues generally, why are we not patient?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation by MrPeaceman(m): 10:20pm On Sep 29, 2014
Our attitude on time: They call it African time, maybe because it is percuiliar to Africans, ofwhich has to stop. Who are the main people guilty of this? The high people in the society, whom everybody has to wait for their arrival before the show commences. With time, even the lower class started the trend (no thanks to the top men in the society for showing bad example). It makes me wonder how a scheduled event for 12noon will later start by 2pm or later. And with time, even the event organisers started playing on the tactics of the invitees; if they actually want an event to start by 1pm, they better schedule it for 11am disguisedly, and this tactics work. This makes me begin to wonder why we can't just do things right on our own if not compelled to. You know you have a schedule by 12noon, and it will take you maximumly 30mins to drive there, why then wait till exactly 12 before moving? You ought to get to any event earlier than the scheduled time, say 15-30mins earlier. The issue of lateness is worrisome. It is uncivilised and uncalled for.
Our attitude in social events: It makes me wonder if people really do put up fake personalities. You find even highly esteemed people misbehaving in occassions. When it comes to the issue of food, it is apalling how people rush over foods, some complain about different things relating to the food being served. Some uninvited guests strictly go to occassions because of food. It is just so degrading. Not like we don't all eat at home (no matter how qualitative, manage it and be satisfied), we now behave as if we've been starved for ages. Again, its appalling.
Our attitude on religion: Religion, instead of being a unifying factor is diversifying us, because of the way we interpret it. That we have a particular religious belief, doesn't make any one that doesn't share the same belief an enemy. We ought to show love to everyone. Until we learn to love and respect one another for who they are, peace won't be restored fully in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation by MrPeaceman(m): 10:22pm On Sep 29, 2014
More of your observations and your opinions are welcomed.
_MrPeaceman
Re: Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation by Alikaxon(m): 8:52pm On Oct 07, 2014
Wow, am inspired. This is clearly from a sensible Nigerian. Well articulated. If only they will learn from this, and btw, they don't normally comment on threads like this; that will enlighting them... Pls mods, seun, fynestboy, mynd44, mukina2, u guys ensure this makes fp................ MODIFIED.... @op, going through your profile, you seem highly intellectual, kudos!

1 Like

Re: Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation by MrPeaceman(m): 9:05pm On Oct 07, 2014
Alikaxon:
Wow, am inspired. This is clearly from a sensible Nigerian. Well articulated. If only they will learn from this, and btw, they don't normally comment on threads like this; that will enlighting them... Pls mods, seun, fynestboy, mynd44, mukina2, u guys ensure this makes fp................ MODIFIED.... @op, going through your profile, you seem highly intellectual, kudos!
Thank you sir.
Re: Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation by barackohandso(m): 10:16pm On Oct 07, 2014
Hmmn. Interesting read
OP, if your online personality really tallies with your real personality, then I must say your type is rare, like 1 out of 10000

BTW, don't be too serious. Lighten up at times cos you sound/type like the overly serious type
Re: Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation by eleojo23: 6:39am On Oct 08, 2014
Very good observations. The average Nigerian lack sense of decorum. Even the so called 'professors' and 'highly educated' still display uncivilized behaviours.

The African time thing is annoying. When I'm invited for an event, I like to be there on time but most times I end up being disappointed. It has become a habit to start things late. If we are to go by the saying 'time is money' then Nigerians waste a lot of money.
Re: Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation by okotv(m): 6:57am On Oct 08, 2014
very interesting read....I just love it when intellectuals show the way forward instead of complaining as they always do....keep the good work going and the Nigeria of our dreams will one day emerge....like an intellectual I know will say, you always have a voice on the internet, use it.
Re: Social Decorum: A Case Study Of My Observation by MrPeaceman(m): 8:04am On Oct 08, 2014
I'm encouraged. Thanks for your comments, and I hope the message passes across.

(1) (Reply)

UNIMAID Admission Lists (UTME And DE) 2014/2015 Released / Can Anybody Solve This Equation Please / An Eyewitness Account: How Female Suicide Bomber Entered FCE Kontagora

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.