Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,323 members, 7,819,103 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

Car Keys Duplication And Coding - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Keys Duplication And Coding (2689 Views)

The Ten Coolest Car Keys / Ever Had Your Keys Locked Inside Your Car, With No Spare Around? / Why Do People Always Advertise Their Car Keys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Keys Duplication And Coding by debsty(m): 11:40pm On Sep 29, 2014
Hello all,
I have initially done a search for topics relating to the above subject but did not get so much, leading to creating this topic. A friend just got a car which came with just one key. Looking closely to that key, it just looks like any other car key without any logo, sign, buttons or special effects, just a bland simple key. We just thought we would take a walk to the key cutters and make a new one. Before we did this, we had a chat with a local rewire who said we shouldn't try this that the key is coded and if we cut just any key and insert into the ignition, the whole vehicle system might pay dearly for that. I got confused because my understanding of when a car key is coded was different.
My questions to my forum members are as follows:

How do we know if a car key is coded?
What are the implications if an uncoded key is used in the ignition of a car whose key should have been coded?
Are there particular kind of cars whose keys are always coded?
What are possible solutions if any problems arise in using your coded keys for your car?
Any suggestions as to where duplicate car keys can be done safely and securely within Lagos.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by DECOtech(m): 12:35am On Sep 30, 2014
Please, what kind of car are we talking about here. Make, year of manufacture, etc.... Then we can know how to comment. Cheers.
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 30, 2014
The 'coding' that he refers to actually refers to a chip located within the plastic part of the key.

For certain newer model cars, there is a receiver located in the steering column that reads the information on the chip when the key is inserted into the ignition. If the info matches the car's computer, the car will start. If not, it won't without any damage (though i have seen an instance where it corrupted the computer).

The keys with keyless unlock (BUTTON REMOTE) also have this feature and their chips are easier to see when you open the plastic shell.

But it depends on the year and model of your car though..
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by debsty(m): 8:03am On Sep 30, 2014
The car in question is a 2004 Toyota 4runner, V6, 4.0L.

Thanks
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 30, 2014
Then it will definitely need programming...
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by baconline(m): 9:26am On Sep 30, 2014
startin d car with an uncoded key has no effect on the car other than it will not start. iF u insert it fast enof ,it will start and go off ,it not it will just crank and not start.forget d rewire.E NO SABI

1 Like

Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by jaz(m): 10:08pm On Sep 30, 2014
how do u fix a damaged FAST key for 2008 outlander. key lost its programming so it doesn't transmit
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by omicpet(m): 11:12pm On Sep 30, 2014
jaz: how do u fix a damaged FAST key for 2008 outlander. key lost its programming so it doesn't transmit
Call 08092440505. Or visit their office at plot 15 murifolami ogudu ojota lagos. Best service
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by omicpet(m): 11:14pm On Sep 30, 2014
debsty: Hello all,
I have initially done a search for topics relating to the above subject but did not get so much, leading to creating this topic. A friend just got a car which came with just one key. Looking closely to that key, it just looks like any other car key without any logo, sign, buttons or special effects, just a bland simple key. We just thought we would take a walk to the key cutters and make a new one. Before we did this, we had a chat with a local rewire who said we shouldn't try this that the key is coded and if we cut just any key and insert into the ignition, the whole vehicle system might pay dearly for that. I got confused because my understanding of when a car key is coded was different.
My questions to my forum members are as follows:

How do we know if a car key is coded?
What are the implications if an uncoded key is used in the ignition of a car whose key should have been coded?
Are there particular kind of cars whose keys are always coded?
What are possible solutions if any problems arise in using your coded keys for your car?
Any suggestions as to where duplicate car keys can be done safely and securely within Lagos.
Thanks

Call 08092440505. Or visit their office at plot 15 murifolami ogudu ojota lagos. Best service
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by debsty(m): 9:45pm On Oct 02, 2014
Hello all
Thanks to those that made comments.it is well appreciated.
Just thought to update this post with some answers we obtained so far. Based on what we read, we observed that the 4runner 's key indeed required programming to get a new one.
We did some reading on some toyota forums on how they dealt with this issue, i.e getting a new programmed key and it came out surprisingly that we actually can programme a key cut by the local locksmith ourselves.
This would involve some kinda weired process of inserting the original keys into the ignition 5 times, opening the driver's side door about 6 times before inserting a new cut key.....(summarised)
Has anybody had any experience doing this? Kindly share your knowledge.
Also for the new cut key, must it be a blank key with a programmable chip, or any key can be used for this process.

Thanks
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by Nobody: 7:10am On Oct 07, 2014
debsty:
Hello all
Just thought to update this post with some answers we obtained so far. Based on what we read, we observed that the 4runner 's key indeed required programming to get a new one.
We did some reading on some toyota forums on how they dealt with this issue, i.e getting a new programmed key and it came out surprisingly that we actually can programme a key cut by the local locksmith ourselves.
This would involve some kinda weired process of inserting the original keys into the ignition 5 times, opening the driver's side door about 6 times before inserting a new cut key.....(summarised)
Also for the new cut key, must it be a blank key with a programmable chip, or any key can be used for this process.

Thanks

This only works if you have 2 keys and want to make a third key (i do not know why anyone would want to even do that).

If you have one key though, you'll have to call a programmer....
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by RGM123: 3:50pm On Nov 29, 2016
Need to duplicate Keyless for my Toyota corolla verso 2005.can someone help Pls. Thank you.
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by OPUSDEI1(m): 10:02pm On Dec 01, 2016
@RGM 123, stating your location will enable you get a more favorable response.
Re: Car Keys Duplication And Coding by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:42pm On Dec 01, 2016
debsty:
Hello all

Thanks

that sequence is usually for the central locking not the ignition/starting of the car

(1) (Reply)

P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 / My Toyota Camry Just Got Hooked, Please Help / How Do I Import Salvaged Cars, Fix Them And Sell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.