Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,354 members, 7,812,006 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:08 AM

Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change (2324 Views)

Gear Change Issues / Here Are Common CVT Transmission Problems In Honda / Where Is Nissan CVT Oil NS-1 Oil Available In Nigeria or Elsewhere Now? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by MizteaTee: 7:19am On Sep 10, 2018
I have being using ATF fluid in place of cvt fluid ns1.Now, my nissan primera does not move more than 30minutes, that is, when it is hot. It wil not change gear again. Its Automatic gear. Different mechanic has check the fuel pump and gear and they say its fine.
Someone now said it can be the ATF fluid causing it. Please, do anyone have idea if it can cause it as i heard d CVT fluid is very scarce.
Please, i need advise on what might be wrong
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 10, 2018
I'll flush that atf immediately. Ns1 has been discontinued but ns2 is available in Nigeria and it's backward compatible. I don't know how long u have been using the ATF and amount of damage caused so better wait let the experts come. Using ATF in place of ctv is a major major transmission killer.

2 Likes

Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by mayor2013: 8:04am On Sep 10, 2018
You have succeeded in killing your transmission. Prepare for another transmission. You have been using abro right. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by diportivo: 8:07am On Sep 10, 2018
greenhulk:
I'll flush that atf immediately. Ns1 has been discontinued but ns2 is available in Nigeria and it's backward compatible. I don't know how long u have been using the ATF and amount of damage caused so better wait let the experts come. Using ATF in place of ctv is a major major transmission killer.

if he likes he shld flush it with hypo plus jik together,it's a lost cause

the transmission is gone already

question is.....why change the fluid in the first instance?

the one wey dey inside throwey ni?

we might never know

1 Like

Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by oblo(m): 8:09am On Sep 10, 2018
Make I book space. Will moment later
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by MizteaTee: 8:27am On Sep 10, 2018
greenhulk:
Somwhere under it links and d fluid just flow off, thats why i replaced it.
Like how much will it cost to replace the transmission
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by MizteaTee: 8:29am On Sep 10, 2018
diportivo:

if he likes he shld flush it with hypo plus jik together,it's a lost cause

the transmission is gone already

question is.....why change the fluid in the first instance?

the one wey dey inside throwey ni?

we might never know
It hit ground and links off
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by MizteaTee: 8:34am On Sep 10, 2018
mayor2013:
You have succeeded in killing your transmission. Prepare for another transmission. You have been using abro right. embarassed
Yes abro. � plz, do u haV idea of the transmission cost.
What a roadside mechanic has cost me
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by diportivo: 8:38am On Sep 10, 2018
oblo:
Make I book space. Will moment later

welcome Baba CVT grin

MizteaTee:

It hit ground and links off

sorry bro

u need to replace the trans.....with the same CVT inside it ni o

1 Like

Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by oluwaseunla(m): 4:47am On Sep 11, 2018
Which Primera is this? P11 or P12? Or which year model and what is your location?
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by diportivo: 7:02am On Sep 11, 2018
oluwaseunla:
Which Primera is this? P11 or P12? Or which year model and what is your location?

does the p12 come in CVT too?

I never research reach dat stage oh

and u were to call me back yesterday undecided
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 11, 2018
@MizteaTee follow oluwaseunla.
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by oluwaseunla(m): 9:39am On Sep 11, 2018
diportivo:

does the p12 come in CVT too?

I never research reach dat stage oh

and u were to call me back yesterday undecided

Oga Mi, apologies. I've not seen him till now oo. Abeg no vex.
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by MizteaTee: 1:05pm On Sep 11, 2018
oluwaseunla:
2002 model, location Ibadan
Any info plz
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 11, 2018
MizteaTee:

2002 model, location Ibadan
Any info plz
Sorry let me ask a seemingly silly question.
Why do you think your car has a CVT?
Could you post the VIN or send it to the number in my signature?
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by MizteaTee: 10:13am On Sep 12, 2018
Costee:

Sorry let me ask a seemingly silly question.
Why do you think your car has a CVT?
Could you post the VIN or send it to the number in my signature?
the name of the fluid, cvt ns1, is written on the cover of the gear oil
Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by Nobody: 12:00pm On Sep 12, 2018
MizteaTee:

the name of the fluid, cvt ns1, is written on the cover of the gear oil
By "cover of the gear oil" I presume you mean cover of the dip stick on the transmission. You certainly have in the wrong fluid, which is at cross purposes with the fluid temperature sensor in the valve body of your transmission. Hence the symptoms you're have when the temperature of the transmission is beginning to get warm. I can't say for certain if the fluid temperature sensor has become defective, but perhaps the only way that can be established is for you to drain the present fluid and refill with the correct one. Yes, NS-1 has become extinct hereabouts but it seems it's safe to go on NS-2. Now cost implications. If you decide to experiment with drain and refill, it might be necessary to do that twice. You'd certainly need three 4-litre cans of NS-2 fluid. That would set you back 60k in the least. Juxtapose all this with changing the transmission. I don't know the cost of one, but when you install you'd need about 6 litres, i.e., 11/2 can, but strictly two cans. Now you have two options: the first is less expensive but experimental; the second is more expensive limited only by luck prospects of getting a good transmission.
Wish you luck whichever option you choose.
PS. I still wouldn't mind the VIN if you feel disposed.

1 Like

Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by oluwaseunla(m): 12:44pm On Sep 12, 2018
@Costee, I saw that transmission in Ladipo for around 80k thereabouts a few years ago. Interestingly never replaced one before. Those things don't die easily it seem. Many people got away with your first method. grin cheesy grin

OP, the choice is yours, the risks attached are also yours. Pick carefully.

1 Like

Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 12, 2018
oluwaseunla:
@Costee, I saw that transmission in Ladipo for around 80k thereabouts a few years ago. Interestingly never replaced one before. Those things don't die easily it seem. Many people got away with your first method. grin cheesy grin

OP, the choice is yours, the risks attached are also yours. Pick carefully.
Good info on the cost of the transmission, though I hope not to need it grin. Yes, the RE0F06A is one solid transmission usually only damaged by carelessness.

1 Like

Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by MizteaTee: 11:22am On Sep 13, 2018
Costee:

By "cover of the gear oil" I presume you mean cover of the dip stick on the transmission. You certainly have in the wrong fluid, which is at cross purposes with the fluid temperature sensor in the valve body of your transmission. Hence the symptoms you're have when the temperature of the transmission is beginning to get warm. I can't say for certain if the fluid temperature sensor has become defective, but perhaps the only way that can be established is for you to drain the present fluid and refill with the correct one. Yes, NS-1 has become extinct hereabouts but it seems it's safe to go on NS-2. Now cost implications. If you decide to experiment with drain and refill, it might be necessary to do that twice. You'd certainly need three 4-litre cans of NS-2 fluid. That would set you back 60k in the least. Juxtapose all this with changing the transmission. I don't know the cost of one, but when you install you'd need about 6 litres, i.e., 11/2 can, but strictly two cans. Now you have two options: the first is less expensive but experimental; the second is more expensive limited only by luck prospects of getting a good transmission.
Wish you luck whichever option you choose.
PS. I still wouldn't mind the VIN if you feel disposed.
I will go wt 1, i wil buy ns2. But 6ltres should do now. I will update u on that

1 Like

Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by MizteaTee: 2:18pm On Oct 07, 2018
After trying ns2, of 8litres. Unfortunately, I got no difference . it is obvious the transmission has been affected. Thanks every1

1 Like

Re: Can Using ATF Fluid In Place Of CVT Cause No Gear Change by oluwaseunla(m): 4:15pm On Oct 07, 2018
MizteaTee:
After trying ns2, of 8litres. Unfortunately, I got no difference . it is obvious the transmission has been affected. Thanks every1

Just curious, is it possible to run a scan on your transmission at your location?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Best Water For Vehicle Radiator / Please How Much Can I Get This Ride? (pic) / What Could Be The Problem Of This Toyota Corolla???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.