Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,805 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? (1383 Views)

Help, He Lack Self Confident And Also Shy Away. How Can He Stop That. / Tunde Bakare: ‘nigerian Students Must Shy Away From Detrimental Politics’ / Nigeria Is A Useless Country,you Need To Be Away From Nigeria To See It! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by babaibadan(m): 4:27am On Jul 30, 2006
Why is it that nigerians abroad shy away from being nigerian? u need to see how so many nigerians act like bastards in the US and Uk. No place like home now.

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by kiki(f): 4:39am On Jul 30, 2006
well i don't i let  everyone around me mostly my friendz who r not Nigerian know where d hell i'm from if u ain't kool with that u can kiss my ass but u should see d way some Nigerians act down here it might make u be like i ain't from Nigeria but it don't matter tho
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by eveseh(f): 5:48am On Jul 30, 2006
dont know cos i heard taht many poeple are afriad of nigerian
dey say dey are maffias that's y i think undecided
but i dont really know mysef
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by Damsal(f): 2:12pm On Jul 30, 2006
Everyone who knows me knows i'm Nigerian, and bloody well proud of it. i even were african print kaftans over jeans for thoses who haven't heard yet. What are they going to do kill me, i don't think so.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by babaibadan(m): 6:56pm On Jul 30, 2006
cry I did a survey about nigerians living abroad, and i asked foreign nationals about what they think about nigeria. Ladies we have got a very bad name. I think i will begin to claim Benin Republic as my place of birth. At least they speak some yoruba there. nigerians have a very bad rep men.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by my2cents(m): 5:02am On Jul 31, 2006
Me?

I claim naija anyday, anytime, full time!! I always pray that the dumb pple say something so I can totally wash them, but I think it depends how you carry urself when asked, cos to-date, I haven't had the opportunity to disgrace someone grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by sweetnini(f): 8:50am On Jul 31, 2006
sometimes i claim to be a tanzanian but
thats cos i love tanzania and not cos i'm ashamed of my country
part from when i want to have fun saying i'm from somewhere else
i always say i'm a nigerian
though if i was a guy it'll be different
the nigerian guys here r really spoiling the name of our country
the crime rate here has been increased by nigerians by 10%
but still i do say i'm a nigerian and in my mind i'll say "bite mi"
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by my2cents(m): 4:45pm On Jul 31, 2006
My dad always tells the ye ye pple he is from China cheesy

u shd c their faces when he says that LOL
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by iice(f): 5:43pm On Jul 31, 2006
Basically from my knowledge, Nigerians have a bad rep abroad, the men tend 2 end up in jail(Mind U, i ddnt say every1, jst some) and the women, well has 2 do with money and all that citizenship thing. Hmmm, i have always identify myself as a Nigerian, have no problems with it, not my problem what you think. we might have a bad rep but it doesnt mean that all of us are terrible, the only time i say am from somewhere else is when some ignorant ppl jst want 2 pester someone, i end up tell them am from Chad because they dont even know what/where Chad is, that shuts them up. grin
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by luvlymoi(f): 7:01pm On Jul 31, 2006
am soo proud to be a nigerian no matter were i am. for real were i stay they knw nigerians 4 bein smart. i dont knw in wat way but they always tell me nigerians are soo smart weneva i say am from nigeria. so for those denyin nigeria, if the U.S or U.K bombs down or something wer will u ' all run to?

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by diddy4(m): 7:03pm On Jul 31, 2006
you should have put "some" in that your statement. i am a naija guy to the fullest. all the social webpages i have, got a naija thing in it dat will tell you this dude is nigerian. i even where my naija clothings here when it is hot. i dont care what ppl say or what they do. i will tell it to your face, im nigerian but if i see u got a lil problem with that, i will tell you im from hong kong.
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by naijadiva2(f): 8:18pm On Jul 31, 2006
never heard this before
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by babaibadan(m): 9:59pm On Jul 31, 2006
smileyI think the basic thing is that we shouldnt forget our origin. I love being nigerian and am proud to be. I went to a conference in Europe and we were asked to introduce ourselves and nationality. When it got to my turn, men u need to see the expression on their face,it was a mixture of both fear and anticipation. They had mixed felings whether i might be trickish,corrupt, smart or play pranks. At the end of the conference i felt good because whenever i was to speak they listened with rapt attention. They all saw me as wise. This is one of the situations where i have been proud be a 9jarian. I love Nigeria but i hate the bad people and corrupt leaders.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by kiki(f): 10:10pm On Jul 31, 2006
luvlymoi:

am soo proud to be a nigerian no matter were i am. for real were i stay they knw nigerians 4 bein smart. i don't knw in what way but they always tell me nigerians are soo smart weneva i say am from nigeria. so for those denyin nigeria, if the U.S or U.K bombs down or something wer will u ' all run to?

I know that is y my dad always says don't forget where you're from because ain't no place like home no matter how bad it might look down there

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by Rolly: 12:27am On Aug 01, 2006
my2cents:

My dad always tells the ye ye people he is from China cheesy

u should c their faces when he says that LOL

LOL!!!

but really, i dont care. i'm from nigeria and a nigerian 2 d fullest. if e dey pain anybody, make them go soak their head. i no send cheesy
Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by Memunah(f): 9:24pm On Oct 12, 2006
Well i don't blame any nigerian who shy away from being nigerians abroad some do because of discrimination by some people or because of  what other nigerians do there that tarnish the image of nigeria (so dey don't like to be associated with such a person)But 4 watever reasin you don't ve to deny your dear country.So be proud to be an African or better still be proud to be a Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by izoneb(f): 7:32pm On Oct 13, 2006
Its only the foolish ones who do!No matter how bad people think it is you can actotherwise and gain some respect for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by cutieexx(f): 6:55pm On Feb 08, 2007
cheesy wink smiley even in my sleep, i will proclaim dat im a Nigerian. I love d country 4rm d very bottom of my heart. However, when u guys mentioned dat they see Abroad Nigerians as either smart (the ones that turn out right) upright citizens or corruptive trickish people who end up in prison or they're sent back home; u are right.

watching d news everyday and almost @least twice in a wk, an African British has commited an awful crime,there's a 95% chance of it being a Nigerian sad sad sad sad it's disgraceful.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by OmoEko1(f): 5:07am On Feb 09, 2007
@ THE TOPIC
THAT IS NOT TRUE BUT THE PEOPLE THAT ACT LIKE THAT ARE THE NAIJAS BORN IN US AND UK, BUT THOSE THAT CAME FROM NAIJA RIP IT TO THE FULLEST.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by cutieexx(f): 9:10pm On Feb 09, 2007
true, well most likely anyway. i mean the ones born overseas grew up with the white culture and way of life. we at least have got some black background and a solid nigerian foundation. there's a difference cheesy wink wink smiley not that all US and UK born are that stubborn or stupid? grin grin hell no!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Is It That Nigerians Abroad Shy Away From Being Nigerian? by Canme4u(m): 12:26pm On Dec 16, 2013
Have never been to US or UK tho, but am proud to be a Nigerian .

Check my twitter handle...I wrote GODbless9ja as my name...
www.twitter.com/canme4u

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Guys Do Things And Yet Do Not Like Women Doing The Same Thing. / Life In The Nigerian Prison / From Vision 2010 To Vision 2020 To Vision 2030

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.