Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,502 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know (23326 Views)

Should A Baby Sleep Under A Ceiling Fan And On Cold Floor Ties? / 5 Myths About Sex You Should Stop Believing / 15 Questions Every Parent Should Ask When The Kids Get Home From School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by simplyOJ(m): 3:24pm On Sep 30, 2014
Grandparents, friends, and society flood parents with well-meaning advice, but how can Mom and Dad be sure they are receiving accurate information? With help from Dr. Andrew Adesman and his book "Baby Facts", He separate baby myths from reality.

Baby's Sleep Position

Myth: It's OK to put your baby to sleep on his side.

Reality: To reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome, healthy babies should always be put to sleep on their back -- not their stomach or sides.

Dr. Adesman Explains: "Part of the reason for the confusion is that when the government first came out with its 'Back to Sleep' campaign, it said side or back, but just a couple years later, it modified this recommendation because sometimes babies roll from their side onto their belly. The safest sleep position for babies is on their back. Unfortunately, some pediatricians are still giving parents misinformation."

Sleep Control

Myth: You can control when and how long your newborn sleeps.

Reality: Newborn babies fall asleep when they're ready and wake up when they're hungry, wet, or upset or because of some other normal cue.

Dr. Adesman Explains: "The key word here is 'newborn.' A lot of parents will try to create a schedule, but when babies are very young, Mom and Dad really need to respond to Baby's cues."

Swaddling Realities

Myth: Swaddling is an outdated method for comforting a fussy baby.

Reality: Swaddling, when done properly, can be an effective and soothing technique.

Dr. Adesman Explains: "Swaddling is a very helpful technique when it comes to comforting. Some parents worry about their baby overheating, but if she's dressed properly, that's not an issue. Positioning is important, so ask your pediatrician or someone experienced to show you the right technique."

Nap = Soundly Sleeping Baby

Myth: A nap in a car seat or stroller doesn't count.

Reality: If your child is sleeping soundly, it counts.

Dr. Adesman Explains: "Kids are pretty versatile when it comes to where they sleep. If a baby falls asleep somewhere other than his crib, there's really no reason to transfer him. Also, remember that although beautiful nurseries might be created with the best intentions, crib bumpers, mobiles, and other decorations can pose a safety risk to infants."

Rice Cereal at Bedtime

Myth: Adding rice cereal to a bedtime bottle helps babies sleep through the night.

Reality: There's no proof that this method has any impact on Baby's sleep.

Dr. Adesman Explains: "In fact, it can even go the other way. Introducing rice cereal too early can be unsafe. Babies might not be able to digest rice cereal before 4 months of age. Parents often try to rush the natural process and push the milestones, but this practice is really not recommended."

Dr. Adesman is Chief of the Division of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics at Schneider Children's Hospital in New York and an associate professor in the Pediatrics Department at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 30, 2014
this thread is very informative esp the number 1 cause i have seen a lot of women who put the babies to sleep by their side or by the stomach

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by simplyOJ(m): 7:48pm On Sep 30, 2014
francleanflexy: this thread is very informative esp the number 1 cause i have seen a lot of women who put the babies to sleep by their side or by the stomach
True! Lying our daughter on her stomach was the favourate position my wife and I normally engage.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by blank(f): 8:42pm On Sep 30, 2014
Abeg jor. Sleeping on the side is 100% safe. All u need is a rolled up cloth or whatever to wedge the baby so she doesn't roll over.

Do you know that if you put a baby to sleep on her back, she can choke on her spit up and die?

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Samiceman: 3:47am On Oct 01, 2014
Thanks for sharing op...unfortunately, am not yet a parent, so I shall comment when I become one
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by pabon(m): 3:50am On Oct 01, 2014
Thanks
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by TreasuredGlory: 3:54am On Oct 01, 2014
Thanks.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by M4gunners: 3:57am On Oct 01, 2014
Thanks who knows my first Baby might be on the way lol.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by shorexng: 3:59am On Oct 01, 2014
The only reason I've been awake all night now is because two wonderful kids here have refused to go to bed. Never let your kids sleep for too long during the day. You may just pay for it at night
cry cry

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by mesoade(m): 4:02am On Oct 01, 2014
Africans with their myths and superstitions.

And if some of them are myths as you've claimed,why did he still say some paediatrician gives misinformation,i thought paediatrician will prescribe only what they are also thought and not myths
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by StarboyMichael(m): 4:07am On Oct 01, 2014
Informative! Am here
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 4:15am On Oct 01, 2014
I used to get scared of sleeping on the tummy by my baby but he sleeps better when on his tummy.
Put him to sleep on his back and he wakes after 10 mins. Since he grew older, didn't get scared of leaving him on his tummy to sleep.
Actually, lying on d tummy is risky to a new born. They can choke because they can't turn their head.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by jliusadura(m): 4:18am On Oct 01, 2014
Noted till I get married and have babies.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by akinladejo: 4:21am On Oct 01, 2014
blank: Abeg jor. Sleeping on the side is 100% safe. All u need is a rolled up cloth or whatever to wedge the baby so she doesn't roll over.

Do you know that if you put a baby to sleep on her back, she can choke on her spit up and die?

You are very correct! Expirence has shown that babies get easily choked up when sleeping with back, the best way is side and dat is just d truth. Theory is really diff from reality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by ejikechibuzor(m): 4:22am On Oct 01, 2014
I was here. Happy birthday to our dear country Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by emma2002(m): 4:28am On Oct 01, 2014
With a baby sleeping on its tummy, they tend to sleep longer and deeper {evidenced by the baby's ability to sleep in spite of noise around} cause the lungs are under more pressure to draw in sufficient oxygenated air. This supports respiration that releases more energy. This will make the baby really sleep deep....this my theory, I stand to be corrected.

Even as adults when you sleep in a well ventilated room or breezy area, you tend to enjoy your sleep better

2 Likes

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by amakufrancis(m): 4:38am On Oct 01, 2014
Noted
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Atmmachine(m): 4:44am On Oct 01, 2014
The best thing to do is to:_
Give the baby gulder or small stout, He or she will sleep for 4 days grin grin

#Thank me later

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Ameboperoo(m): 4:49am On Oct 01, 2014
cry
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by ugoezeik(m): 4:54am On Oct 01, 2014
I av cm to realise dat making my baby slp on his tummy or side mk him slp well. so dis myth of a stuff is wat I don't understand

1 Like

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 5:13am On Oct 01, 2014
grin NOTEd .. Bt I neva get pikin yet
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Cpumping(m): 5:45am On Oct 01, 2014
Lemme keep dis space. When marieolea born for me, awee come back grin
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by HonourablePomk: 5:58am On Oct 01, 2014
Happy independence Nigeria
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by boboLIL(m): 5:59am On Oct 01, 2014
Noted buh na til Ah marry boRn. Pikin join...Amen oo
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by kennysama2(m): 6:05am On Oct 01, 2014
what a revelation
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by DutchNegro(m): 6:17am On Oct 01, 2014
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by tinuolababy(f): 6:18am On Oct 01, 2014
Thanks op kiss kiss
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Ademat7(m): 6:20am On Oct 01, 2014
Nice response from our mother who hv prove d theory wrong in our clime with their comment,not all things can walk same way as ur country

1 Like

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 6:38am On Oct 01, 2014
emma2002: With a baby sleeping on its tummy, they tend to sleep longer and deeper {evidenced by the baby's ability to sleep in spite of noise around} cause the lungs are under more pressure to draw in sufficient oxygenated air. This supports respiration that releases more energy. This will make the baby really sleep deep....this my theory, I stand to be corrected.

Even as adults when you sleep in a well ventilated room or breezy area, you tend to enjoy your sleep better

Thank you o,even for a new born,the best position is to lay the baby on it's belly,because of colic pains,laying the baby belly down reduces the pain and gives babies soothing relief, that's even why it's best to put new born baby on their mother's back when they are crying.

3 Likes

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 01, 2014
Gaggi: I used to get scared of sleeping on the tummy by my baby but he sleeps better when on his tummy.
Put him to sleep on his back and he wakes after 10 mins. Since he grew older, didn't get scared of leaving him on his tummy to sleep.
Actually, lying on d tummy is risky to a new born. They can choke because they can't turn their head.

it's not risky,it's a good sleeping position for babies, that's why it's best to burp babies before putting them to sleep,to avoid choking in their sleep,and except the baby is sick,it always works.
Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by ademega(m): 6:47am On Oct 01, 2014
Just as if this is for me ! But i gained more from the comments than the post self

1 Like

Re: Baby Sleep Myths Every Parent Should Know by rezzy: 6:53am On Oct 01, 2014
Mothers have been lying their babies on their stomach to sleep, i haven't heard of any sudden death

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Couple Welcome 1st Baby After 22yrs Of Marriage(pics) / This Guy Is Searching For A Companion For His Widowed Mother / When You See A Cancer Women Run For Your Dear Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.