Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,206 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? (9933 Views)

An African Head Of State Sleeping During Obama Speech At The UN / Barack Obama's Speech At The DNC 2012 / Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by edatika(m): 1:47pm On Nov 07, 2008
i wish to know what you guys think
that speech very emotional and wonderful
was the guy reading it from somewhere or was it just in his head

just wondering. what do u guys think (or know) as the case may be?
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by SeanT21(f): 3:07am On Nov 08, 2008
I am unsure about this one.He usually read his speeches from transparent overheads or Papers. I think this came from the heart!!
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by cola: 3:14pm On Nov 08, 2008
there was a script.

whether he read directly from it is another question.
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by mystikal(m): 5:59pm On Nov 08, 2008
he read from a script!
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by edatika(m): 1:43pm On Jan 27, 2009
then what about the inaugural speech.
i belive there was a script as well
especially as we were all told that it would take about 5mins

or what do you guys think about that as well
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by Lagosboy: 2:02pm On Jan 27, 2009
He usually has a speech prepared before hand. Many times it is read over and over again and he comes out to say it without it. Sometimes from a paper or overhead screens. No president would come out to do an inaugural speech without preparing it first.
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by dgreatrock(m): 2:12pm On Jan 27, 2009
@ Said off Hand,
those days we were told that saying 'quoting off head' was wrong, and we were corrected to say 'off heart'. now i am seeing 'off hand' first time in my life. please tell me, is this the right way to say this now?
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by NegroNtns(m): 4:53pm On Jan 27, 2009
There is no question that President Obama is very capable of doing both. Judging from his neck movement, he read it on the screen. Unlike a campaign speech, I am not sure that his advisors will allow him, and understandably so, to give a lengthy inaugural speech from heart. Not that he could not but these are matters of prudence. It is political murder if he distractingly strayed off the script and incurred political liability on his administration.
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by bindex(m): 7:10pm On Jan 27, 2009
He uses a teleprompter(screen), those two things you see infront of the stage when ever he is making a big speech. There is no doubt that he writes most of his speeches but he reads them off the telepromter when delivering the speech.
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by ohismuyiwa(m): 5:52am On Jan 29, 2009
obama sure did used a script, and he has always being using scripts. his inaugural speech was written by J. Favreau,Head speech writing in White House.

He wrote that obamas speech,he is also his mind reader, in that he reads obama's mind and past speeches and events all over the world and from there draw at what he thinks Obama should say during presentations. The guy was among the audience that day during the inauguration.

GUESS WHAT? The guy is just 27yrs old. this is not his first time oh. he's being writin for presidents,politicians, secretary of states and lots.

1 Like

Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by SeanT21(f): 9:03am On Jan 29, 2009
bindex:

He uses a teleprompter(screen), those two things you see infront of the stage when ever he is making a big speech. There is no doubt that he writes most of his speeches but he reads them off the telepromter when delivering the speech.

He does not write any of his speeches.No president does.I was shocked when I first heard it also!!
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by ow11(m): 10:11pm On Jan 31, 2009
dgreatrock:

@ Said off Hand,
those days we were told that saying 'quoting off head' was wrong, and we were corrected to say 'off heart'. now i am seeing 'off hand' first time in my life. please tell me, is this the right way to say this now?

You can say 'by heart' or simply rephrase your sentence and use 'memorise'. you can use 'off the top of my head' when you are talking about making quick mental calculations.
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by Sissy3(f): 3:29am On Feb 02, 2009
SeanT21:

He does not write any of his speeches.No president does.I was shocked when I first heard it also!!

says who, i heard he personally wrote his speech on race, his camp wanted to write it but according to them he refused and he wrote it by himself, and he is really smart to do so wink
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by Seun(m): 10:22am On Feb 04, 2009
As a law professor, he should be a pretty good writer.
He should be able to at least edit the scripts he is given.
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by bindex(m): 9:27pm On Feb 04, 2009
~Sissy~:

says who, i heard he personally wrote his speech on race, his camp wanted to write it but according to them he refused and he wrote it by himself, and he is really smart to do so wink

This is very true. He has written two very interesting books, so writing is not a very difficult thing for him. I heard that Sarah Palin wants to write a book. I just wonder the lady from Wasilla is going to write about apart from moose hunting and ice skating. You betcha  wink.
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by Sissy3(f): 10:01pm On Feb 04, 2009
bindex:

This is very true. He has written two very interesting books, so writing is not a very difficult thing for him. I heard that Sarah Palin wants to write a book. I just wonder the lady from Wasilla is going to write about apart from moose hunting and ice skating. You betcha  wink.

dnt get me started oo cheesy

she has alot to write about na,
first she can write how she sees russia from her backyard in alaska,
second, she can write how she wanted to become a vp of the rep. party but has no idea what the bush doctrine is.
she can write how she shoots moose.
how she does supports abstinence only program and her daughter got preg. under her nose
she can write about how mccain picked her overnight just so he can win over some angry white women who wanted hilary to win
and finally she can write her how she has no idea of what politics is really all about and wondered how she can even got elected as a govornor. or still she can write about how she is going to be the next rep. superhero
Re: Obama's Speech: Was It Read From A Screen Or Said Off Hand? by ohismuyiwa(m): 7:25am On Mar 03, 2009
u guys make proper research b4 jumping into conclusions na. i read it in NewYork Times about scriptwriters in whitehouse that do writings for these presidents. Obama did not write his speech oh,even if he is the Pope of Law. These men dont have time for all that. YOU GUYS DIG THE MORE.

(1) (Reply)

Bill Clinton In Hospital For 'Non-COVID Infection' / Hillary Clinton: The Last US President / Joe Biden And Kamala Harris Jointly Named Time's 'Person of the Year'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.