Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,215 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times (31868 Views)

EBOLA: This Is What US Gave To Nigeria To Contain Spread Of The Virus / Ebolafacts.com Launched To Help West Africa To Contain Ebola Virus / First Case Of Suspected Ebola Discovered In New York City, Usa!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by BetaThings: 5:18am On Oct 02, 2014
ezeagu: Reads like they're trying their hardest to give all the credit to American organisations, but that's a minor point.
NYT is American
But even Dr Faisal of the EOC did not mention Prof Omilabu who was risking his lab to do the testing for all the patients
We know that some virologists were begging that the sample not be taken to their lab for testing

Actually it is a major point
It is about PR and it is CDC Atlanta's version of the story
But now let them now tell the story of how they are beginning to bungle the case in their own country (America)
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by BetaThings: 5:40am On Oct 02, 2014
red101:

What annoyed me the most about the article was that half the time they were crediting the success to Bill Gates, CDC, and whatever americans they could fit into the article, however far-fetched. I guess we can credit bill gates for his part in donating money for a useless polio facility that was turned into an ebola patient quarantine ward by resourceful nigerians tongue. But it's the NYTimes not the LagosTimes afterall. what can one expect?
People in Nigeria are also annoyed'
It is CDC's story
Did they acknowledge the vigilance of First Consultants who refused to discharge Sawyer
Yet a hospital in Texas gave the first case (after admitting he was in Liberia) anti biotics and sent him home
The ambulance they used for him was reused without decontamination

But spare some thoughts for this
Without American assistance a lot of AIDS would not have drugs
Infact what Nigerian government spends on them is just a fraction of what America does
Bill Gates is spending his own money - we should not take that lightly
Some of his rich colleagues are using their money on research to enable rich people take vacation is outer space
And a polio facility cannot be useless. Polio is not a joke

We were "lucky" that Ebola is so sadistically "efficient" - if it had been another disease with a longer incubation period that does not kill so fast, the outcome would have been different

Note that our Dr Faisal did not mention Lagos State and the governor who personally spoke with CDC Atlanta
The chief of the command center, Dr. Faisal Shuaib, gave credit to a coordinated effort by the Health Ministry, the C.D.C., the World Health Organization, Unicef, Doctors Without Borders and the International Committee for the Red Cross.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Valfrankie(m): 6:13am On Oct 02, 2014
sexzskil:
I was trying to tell him fact.

Goodnight, sleep well brogrin
And what is the fact? That Nigerians lack potentials or that we can't be a force to reckon with in the world with the right motivation? You see one thing, we all don't 've to see Nigeria as the slum of Africa filled with malnourished, kwashokor ridden, unclad bunch of refugees! Remember the role Nigeria has played in the continued peace enjoyed in Africa. Nigeria was there for Mali, for South-Africa, for Liberia among others. Which of these African countries has ever done anything for us? Nigeria is the only country with 60% survivor rate of a virus that kills 90% of its victims. Let's not argue my dear, but I believe we can achieve more than all that with the right motivations from the government.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!

Have a nice day my dear n good morning!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Ogurube: 6:57am On Oct 02, 2014
Happy Independence Day, my Naija brothers and sisters!

Thank God we have been free for 54 slavish years and blessed with a multitude of enlightened people, as well as abundant natural resources that are enough to make things work the way they do in developed worlds. How about constant power supply, useful infrastructure, sustainable growth, and freebies? A plentiful harvest is possible, but the productive workers are few. May God give us more creative and busy thinkers, like Dangote, Adenuga, Don Jazzy, etc. We thank the Most High for sparing us from the terror of Ebola and Boko Haram. Now, we truly appreciate life and knowledge. Actually, knowledge is life. Thank God for science, books, and brains! May we not forbid or forego them in this day and age. Thank you, Dr. Adadevoh, for keeping the Hippocratic Oath in battling the first feisty case of Ebola in Nigeria, while hypocrites sowed wild oats - frittering away their time on social networks. May your undead spirit continue to inspire us all to be strong, thoughtful people in the fight against selfishness. Thank you, President Goodluck Jonathan, for having the courage and luck to lead a complex, corrupt society as ours. May God continue to keep your unimpaired mind and ungrayed hair to get us the hell out of needless poverty, as we wallow in the land of milk and honey, wondering what to make of it. Thank you, Mr. Bill Gates, for your benevolence! May your generosity towards Africa continue to yield fruit and shame our aristocracy to give back what they have mostly stolen and killed for. May you forever remain richly blessed. Thanks to Nigerians for your unity, patience, and resilience during these stupid suffering-and-smiling years! May our existence be strengthened by love and common sense. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Nobody: 7:11am On Oct 02, 2014
arresa: [s][/s]

[s]The usual unintelligent garbage..[/s]

Typical asinine Yoruba thinking blinded by tribalism. Swine!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 02, 2014
smiley
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by NIGERIALOLoCOM(m): 7:21am On Oct 02, 2014
Something good about Nigeria written by our critics. Thanks to all who made this possible, especially vigilant Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Valfrankie(m): 7:32am On Oct 02, 2014
Worksunlimited:

TAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... Keep quiet dere!
you 've been noticed, now go get something doing!
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Ngwakwe: 7:33am On Oct 02, 2014
Centrifuge4: @Ngwakwe enjoy ur funding for this Nairaland of a thing. I hope ur sponsors find beta jobs for u beyond 2015.

Bros, I am unique, I teach Industrial Automation and Process Control in Tertiary Institutions.

How many of us do you have in Nigeria?

If you've or know a system to automate such as Process Plants, Traffic Controls, Security Systems and the related. - Please give me a call or pm.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by drjay1(m): 7:56am On Oct 02, 2014
Nobleval: WESTERN PROPAGANDA...SEE WHAT ALJAZEERA WROTE FEW WEEKS AGO! angry
sad sad sad sad
Aljazeera: Nigeria's Weak
Health Sector Confronts
Ebola

https://www.nairaland.com/1912007/aljazeera-nigerias-weak-health-sector
But y dont we like to hear the truth? Is our health sector not weak? Is it not true that lagos has many slums? The truth is the truth weda its the foreign media that tells us or not. Thank God that some pple stood in the gap and were used by God to defeat ebola. What we all need is to come together and use this opportunity to do something positive about our health care system
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Ahmeduana(m): 8:06am On Oct 02, 2014
Ngwakwe:

In one of Obiagelli's threads
DON'T MIND AM SHE HAS SHORT MEMORY, AND THAT'S ONE OF THE SIGNS OF A PAID CRITICS! THEY WOULD NEVER REMEMBER THE BAD THINGS THEY SAID ABOUT YOU YESTERDAY!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by natureblack(m): 8:06am On Oct 02, 2014
sexzskil:
BASTARRRRD! EVEN IN A BILLION YEARS NIGERIA CAN NEVER EVER BECOME THE SOLE POWER OF AFRICA TALKLESS OF THE FVCK STATEMENT U JUST UTTERED. SACRILEDGE! SO because NIGERIA MANAGED TO TACKLE EBOLA, THEN GBASK!, IT IS NOW A GREAT COUNTRY. THIS IS THE NARCISSISM I'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT.
you go about insulting people,is that really a life

Calling you an e-diot is certainly an insult to stup1d people.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Nobody: 8:09am On Oct 02, 2014
drjay1:
But y dont we like to hear the truth? Is our health sector not weak? Is it not true that lagos has many slums? The truth is the truth weda its the foreign media that tells us or not. Thank God that some pple stood in the gap and were used by God to defeat ebola. What we all need is to come together and use this opportunity to do something positive about our health care system
and when was the last time they reported about their health system and slums...New Orleans comes to mind.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by deeobserver209(m): 8:13am On Oct 02, 2014
Nigeria will get better.
Happy Independence.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by semitunde: 8:25am On Oct 02, 2014
new2020:

Typical asinine Yoruba thinking blinded by tribalism. Swine!

Funny he never made any tribal statement, but you did.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Kingslaw(m): 8:27am On Oct 02, 2014
Nigerdeltaboi: I heard Barack Obama has called Goodluck Jonathan at least 12 times today for guidance on preventing an Ebola Outbreak in the USA........... and Goodluck was like : I am busy at the parade ground cheesy
una no go kill person with jokes o.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by anonimi: 8:32am On Oct 02, 2014
arresa:

Why do people like you insult and pollute our senses with your collective and ridiculous absurdities?

Talk about medicine after death...

Ebola showed up in Nigeria back in July, they promised to release funds weeks later and not right away, but the funds didn't show up until September when the whole episode was over and done with...

Below was back in August when Lagos state was solely battling Ebola in August. No funds was sent to Lagos and non was released according to the state government..

So, where was the Federal funds when the virus was raging in Lagos?

Where was the federal funds when Lagos state government was staffing and equipping facilities test and detect?

Where was the Federal funds when Lagos state government built isolation units in Lagos state?

Ebola is a very dangerous virus that no society should ever be burdened with, but we are glad it happened in a place where they have credible and assertive leaders with great sense of duty and dedication and also with foresight to support their efforts with critical funds needed to battle the disease...

Not some worthless, useless and lying incompetent people releasing funds well after the war was won and over with...

So the federal administration promised and DELIVERED on its promise, which your boss gladly accepted rather than refuse if he had any grouse with the timing as you are making it seem here with your rabid politicisation of something of concern to ALL of us.

You need to cross-check with your boss what his instructions are clearly before you cause him more havoc than he needs now, ok
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by perfectcrush(m): 8:42am On Oct 02, 2014
Anyhow! Anyhow! Ogono must jump, naija must be recognised.... too mighty to be relegated... God u will 4ever be praised

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by sexzskil(f): 9:22am On Oct 02, 2014
donnypool:

you never still die?
Dude, grincheesy i like u thoughcheesy
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by sexzskil(f): 9:31am On Oct 02, 2014
Valfrankie: And what is the fact? That Nigerians lack potentials or that we can't be a force to reckon with in the world with the right motivation? You see one thing, we all don't 've to see Nigeria as the slum of Africa filled with malnourished, kwashokor ridden, unclad bunch of refugees! Remember the role Nigeria has played in the continued peace enjoyed in Africa. Nigeria was there for Mali, for South-Africa, for Liberia among others. Which of these African countries has ever done anything for us? Nigeria is the only country with 60% survivor rate of a virus that kills 90% of its victims. Let's not argue my dear, but I believe we can achieve more than all that with the right motivations from the government.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!

Have a nice day my dear n good morning!
U seem to forget to add that Nigeria only has/had minu case of ebola compare to other West African countries almost torn out by it. You can be great, I can be great, AND BOTH OF US WILL BE GREAT, but lets stop deceiving ourselves and come outa narcissism, NIGERIA CAN NEVER BE A FORCE TO BE RECKON WITH IN AFRICA! We may survive 2015 and beyond but fact is THIS COUNTRY IS DOOMED TO DISINTEGRATION!
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Deepfreezer(m): 9:57am On Oct 02, 2014
lagcity:

ma nigga, dont let me punch u. please i'm begging u. angry

why the punch mehnnn?
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Valfrankie(m): 10:03am On Oct 02, 2014
sexzskil:
U seem to forget to add that Nigeria only has/had minu case of ebola compare to other West African countries almost torn out by it. You can be great, I can be great, AND BOTH OF US WILL BE GREAT, but lets stop deceiving ourselves and come outa narcissism, NIGERIA CAN NEVER BE A FORCE TO BE RECKON WITH IN AFRICA! We may survive 2015 and beyond but fact is THIS COUNTRY IS DOOMED TO DISINTEGRATION!
you also forget that what has now assumed an epidemic proportion in Liberia for instance started with a single case! We were able to roll back ebola in Nigeria because we put aside our ethnic, religious, political, tribal and social difference for a common goal. For once we were united!!! Nigeria won't disintegrate if the populace doesn't want it to, if not, I myself can't help it either. But I foresee a better and stronger Nigeria!!!

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by obioraval(m): 10:19am On Oct 02, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Bros, I am unique, I teach Industrial Automation and Process Control in Tertiary Institutions.

How many of us do you have in Nigeria?

If you've or know a system to automate such as Process Plants, Traffic Controls, Security Systems and the related. - Please give me a call or pm.
wow, what school pls.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Adebanjoqs(m): 10:33am On Oct 02, 2014
We need to prepare for such cases next time. Nigerian i don't care attitude should stop ooooooooooo
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Nobody: 12:07pm On Oct 02, 2014
semitunde:

Funny he never made any tribal statement, but you did.

His post was clearly subjective and lacked facts...not objective. The fact of the matter remains that Federal government handled the Ebola crisis with impeccable sheer demonstration of a functioning government. As usual, we Nigerians don't appreciate things like this unless this virus succeeded in killing millions. Lagos has no resources to handle such health crises; none! Nada!No it can't. Forget about the facade and cloak of theatrics it puts up to hoodwink its gullible residents and supporters. It relied on federal government but always likes to come out make stupid noises. Can't say thank you to the Federal Government. Wasn't Lagos the same state that refused the Nano silver, but was forced by Federal government to administer it using "national security clause" or it would declare state of emergency on Lagos, force Fashola out to secure the national interest and well being of the citizens...Read the Nigerian constitution; it's in there. The media is hiding this from us...Lagos was threatened to allow the federal government access that's why this was a success otherwise it would have played politics with it and let people die. Personally, I don't know how you guys view this, for me, this is the biggest achievement of President Jonathan. This Ebola would have killed millions only then we Nigerians will wake up. Congratulate Jonathan for once bad belle people.

US Sends Medical Experts To Study How Nigeria Tamed Ebola
https://www.nairaland.com/1929641/us-sends-medical-experts-study

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by semitunde: 12:15pm On Oct 02, 2014
new2020:

His post was clearly subjective and lacked facts...not objective. The fact of the matter remains that Federal government handled the Ebola crisis with impeccable sheer demonstration of a functioning government. As usual, we Nigerians don't appreciate things like this unless this virus succeeded in killing millions. Lagos has no resources to handle such health crises; none! No it can't. It relied on federal government but always likes to come out make stupid noises. Can't say thank you to the Federal Government. Wasn't Lagos the same state that refused the Nano silver, but was forced by Federal government to administer it using "national security clause" or it would declare state of emergency on Lagos, force Fashola out to secure the national interest and well being of the citizens...Read the Nigerian constitution; it's in there. Personally, I don't how you guys view this, for me, this is the biggest achievement of President Jonathan. This Ebola would have killed millions only then we Nigerians will wake up. Congratulate Jonathan for once bad belle people.

I disagree with most of your submission here. And I'm being objective. But that's besides the fact that you actually went tribal, veering off from the discussed topic, and subjectively pointing fingers.

If this your post had replaced your initial one, we wouldnt be having this discussion would we?

But maybe you never even realised your bigotry. Sometimes you're in too deep you don't know where the line is anymore.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Nobody: 12:18pm On Oct 02, 2014
semitunde:

I disagree with most of your submission here. And I'm being objective. But that's besides the fact that you actually went tribal, veering off from the discussed topic, and subjectively pointing fingers.

If this your post had replaced your initial one, we wouldnt be having this discussion would we?

But maybe you never even realised your bigotry. Sometimes you're in too deep you don't know where the line is anymore.

My reply was to him with respect to objectivity, not to you sir! I used "his". I have no problem with you!
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Lawalemi(m): 1:13pm On Oct 02, 2014
Sales of false cures, including “Blessed Salt,” shot up, and two Nigerians died of drinking large amounts of saltwater. grin
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by Litmus: 1:29pm On Oct 02, 2014
We have no border control this means that Nigeria will not be out of the woods until Ebola is under control in West Africa.
Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by rhymz(m): 1:59pm On Oct 02, 2014
It is very annoying when I hear people attribute the success of containing the whole virus to Fashola or LASG.... Was it LASG that set up those cdc centre's or payed and encouraged those health workers that were directly involved.

Was it LASG or Fashola that coordinated the tracking or got the CDC and who experts who trained and coordinated the isolation centre's and treatments there? Even the dissemination of information from beginning to the end was being done by the FG.

Why are some of these dishonest political hackers attributing everything to Fashola. Some of you are not even aware that the first doctor that attended to the infected patients in isolation was not even Nigerian but an American. We have health professionals from Argentina, Europe and America working and training Nigerians and all some people want to do here is to erroneously paint a suggestive picture of Fashola being our Jesus. If anything Fashola and LASG SHOULD give thanks to the FG for their efforts...... Left alone the state would have been toast.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Actions Seem To Contain Ebola Outbreak -New York Times by semitunde: 2:03pm On Oct 02, 2014
new2020:

My reply was to him with respect to objectivity, not to you sir! I used "his". I have no problem with you!

OK.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Wife Pours Hot Water On Her Husband To Resuscitate Him In Ondo State. Photos / Fallen Tree Kills Woman, Injures 10 Others In Ilorin / Family Donates Funds Nigerians Raised To Save Their Daughter's Life To Charity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.