Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,474 members, 7,819,723 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

How To Run A Small Online Business - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Run A Small Online Business (1254 Views)

Circuit Atlantic/ Shippy Me/ Zaposta - How NOT To Run A Company / How To Open And Run A School Successfully / I Need Ideas On How To Run A Poultry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Run A Small Online Business by saleskara: 10:43am On Oct 01, 2014
I would like to share my experience running a business online. This is to enable those running their small or large business an opportunity to see some insights into how to market their goods and services. In simple words, I found out quickly that it takes a lot of effort to sell goods online if you are small business. Big businesses also put in a lot of effort such as paying for print adverts (Radio, TV, Newspaper, Billboard and banners), and online adverts (google adwords, yahoo and bing adverts, Facebook adverts, twitter sponsored tweets, Google display adverts, Sponsored blog posts, Signup with Affiliate marketers, Paid adverts on leading websites, youtube videos, Online press and publicity and lots more)

I am sure by now a small business man should begin to ask, how do I get my share on this space when the big giants have used all this powerful and costly tools?

I worked on an online store for some time and would like to let you know that without visitors to your website you would not make sells. The more the visitors, the more sales you are likely to make. Getting visitors online is not cheap. If it is not cheap then how do you fund the marketing campaign to get more visitors. Also how do you make your returns on investment.

In my view, there are other ways which I would list below.
1. Search Engine Optimization - this is the art/science of making your website search engine friendly, thereby getting your self on the front page of the google or bing search engines. This would definitely bring you traffic to your website and over time customers. Once Search Engine optimization is implemented correctly, you get free traffic from Google and bing. So is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) 100% free? My answer is Yes , if you can do it yourself. Most time it is no because, you need to learn about it or pay someone to train you or a consultant to do it for you.

2. Set a little budget for Google Adwords - setting up targeted campaigns on Google adwords would also help to get some paid traffic. Could be expensive but you can measure your sale versus advert spending to determine if it is worth it.

3. Use your Social connections - Facebook, linkedin, Google Plus, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and others
You can grow website traffic through friends, fans or followers on these social media platform: You would even do better if your friends are willing to help you share your message further to their own friends. I must let you know that social connection have proven to help many business. I organized a training sometime ago to show them the practical and theoretical aspect of social media for business.

Over the last few weeks i have written some articles on Search Engine Optimization on how it relates to online business. One of such is http://www.royalctech.com/search-engine-optimization-services-a-growth-strategy-for-online-businesses In this article, I gave practical examples of what it takes to be found on a search engine. Using a catering services business as a case study. We evaluated best and worst case example.

We expect that a catering company would be at it best if it is found on the first page of the search engine "when people search for words like 'catering firms in Nigeria" or your the city in which the business is located.

I would also be working on other blog post to teach small businesses the elementary tools to ensure their businesses get found on the search engine. I plan to post the article here once completed.

So watch out for my next post.

2 Likes

Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by saleskara: 10:08am On Oct 07, 2014
saleskara:
I would like to share my experience running a business online. This is to enable those running their small or large business an opportunity to see some insights into how to market their goods and services. In simple words, I found out quickly that it takes a lot of effort to sell goods online if you are small business. Big businesses also put in a lot of effort such as paying for print adverts (Radio, TV, Newspaper, Billboard and banners), and online adverts (google adwords, yahoo and bing adverts, Facebook adverts, twitter sponsored tweets, Google display adverts, Sponsored blog posts, Signup with Affiliate marketers, Paid adverts on leading websites, youtube videos, Online press and publicity and lots more)

I am sure by now a small business man should begin to ask, how do I get my share on this space when the big giants have used all this powerful and costly tools?

I worked on an online store for some time and would like to let you know that without visitors to your website you would not make sells. The more the visitors, the more sales you are likely to make. Getting visitors online is not cheap. If it is not cheap then how do you fund the marketing campaign to get more visitors. Also how do you make your returns on investment.

1. Search Engine Optimization - this is the art/science of making your website search engine friendly, thereby getting your self on the front page of the google or bing search engines. This would definitely bring you traffic to your website and over time customers. Once Search Engine optimization is implemented correctly, you get free traffic from Google and bing. So is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) 100% free? My answer is Yes , if you can do it yourself. Most time it is no because, you need to learn about it or pay someone to train you or a consultant to do it for you.

2. Set a little budget for Google Adwords - setting up targeted campaigns on Google adwords would also help to get some paid traffic. Could be expensive but you can measure your sale versus advert spending to determine if it is worth it.

3. Use your Social connections - Facebook, linkedin, Google Plus, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and others
You can grow website traffic through friends, fans or followers on these social media platform: You would even do better if your friends are willing to help you share your message further to their own friends. I must let you know that social connection have proven to help many business. I organized a training sometime ago to show them the practical and theoretical aspect of social media for business.

Over the last few weeks i have written some articles on Search Engine Optimization on how it relates to online business. One of such is http://www.royalctech.com/search-engine-optimization-services-a-growth-strategy-for-online-businesses In this article, I gave practical examples of what it takes to be found on a search engine. Using a catering services business as a case study. We evaluated best and worst case example.

We expect that a catering company would be at it best if it is found on the first page of the search engine "when people search for words like 'catering firms in Nigeria" or your the city in which the business is located.

I would also be working on other blog post to teach small businesses the elementary tools to ensure their businesses get found on the search engine. I plan to post the article here once completed.

The businesses that want to grow in online presence would require some form of paid advert. sometimes know as pay per click (ppc). it is the fastest way to get found on search engine result page (SERP).
PPC could be as cheap as 1 cent per click. and could be very high depending on the competition for the word or perceived value by the Google/Bing advert platform. SEO is also another way, but it is not as fast as PPC. for more check this post
http://www.royalctech.com/pay-per-click-marketing-smart-online-visibility-on-search-engines
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by saleskara: 7:57pm On Oct 07, 2014
Do we have any one with challenges or experience running a small online business. Please share it.
We would be happy to learn from you. If we have tips for business challenges, we would provide them here[quote author=saleskara post=26934607][/quote]
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by taddat(m): 10:36pm On Oct 07, 2014
sir, I have a blog and an having issues connecting it to google absense.

I av tried several times, Buh I keep getting no approval. kindly help me
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by saleskara: 4:12pm On Oct 08, 2014
Google Adsense requires careful planning. Most important is the need to ensure you read and comply to their policies. (easy to navigate website is also inclusive)

I hope this helps.
taddat:

I av tried several times, Buh I keep getting no approval. kindly help me
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by saleskara: 4:15pm On Oct 08, 2014
i just saw a new post on Premium times. https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/more-news/169150-nigeria-has-48-million-active-internet-users-nitda.html It talks about the presence of 47 million internet users. In my opinion, Online is the way for small and medium businesses to grow nationwide without relying on setting up branches nationwide.

So what are we waiting for?

saleskara:

Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by saleskara: 11:47am On Oct 10, 2014
Strategy makes the difference between success and failure. Online marketing is efficient and measurement of ROI is straight forward. The kye challenge is the acquiring the skill or ability to select the right consultants.
[quote author=saleskara post=26934607][/quote]
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by lcoral(f): 8:32pm On Oct 10, 2014
Nice post @op. Very encouraging
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by dramaticspeak(m): 10:53pm On Oct 10, 2014
taddat:

I av tried everal times, Buh I keep getting no approval. kindly help mewh
when did u set up the blog? How many post do you have on it? Is it up to 12? Then are people viewing your blog? Answer this three questions and reapply for adsense. Come back and testify
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by taddat(m): 11:53pm On Oct 10, 2014
dramaticspeak:
when did u set up the blog? How many post do you have on it? Is it up to 12? Then are people viewing your blog? Answer this three questions and reapply for adsense. Come back and testify
. My blog was set up on 2009, i Have close to hundred post, i Have 1500 page view. kindly check 4 urself:: tadworld..com
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by Clone2020(m): 4:35pm On Oct 11, 2014
Following keenly, keep it coming. Do u design websites?
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 11, 2014
U didn't really write anything tangible about seo on your blog.
U just dribbled around
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by dramaticspeak(m): 4:55pm On Oct 11, 2014
taddat:
. My blog was set up on 2009, i Have close to hundred post, i Have 1500 page view. kindly check 4 urself:: tadworld..com
when adsense rejected u, in the mail they must have sent, they would have given u reasons which you should work on and reapply. They rejected me twice when I started but I took to their correction and reapplied. The new blog I started was a piece of cake.
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by saleskara: 8:59pm On Oct 12, 2014
this is great. The email contains the major reason why the site is rejected.
dramaticspeak:
when adsense rejected u, in the mail they must have sent, they would have given u reasons which you should work on and reapply. They rejected me twice when I started but I took to their correction and reapplied. The new blog I started was a piece of cake.
Re: How To Run A Small Online Business by OKOSONALUMINUM(m): 9:02pm On Oct 12, 2014
Good thanks

(1) (Reply)

Professional Business Plan Template / .... / Advice Needed: How Do I Managed My Studies And Business Without Any Suffering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.