Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,258 members, 7,815,400 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) (7148 Views)

Benz Vs Honda: Head On Collision! / Sienna Vs Odyssey / Sienna Vs Quest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by Nobody: 11:08am On Oct 01, 2014
Toyota Sienna VS Honda Odyssey
Which do you prefer for your family ?

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by siegfried99(m): 11:20am On Oct 01, 2014
Sienna grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by femmy2010(m): 1:37pm On Oct 01, 2014
SIENNA
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by Readonee35L(m): 3:18pm On Oct 01, 2014
Sienna
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 01, 2014
Sienna all the way
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by reaky(m): 7:39pm On Oct 01, 2014
sienna
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by oweniwe(m): 9:19pm On Oct 01, 2014
i am sure most of the posters above me have never entered or drove an Odyssey before.

9 Likes

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by lonelydora: 9:38pm On Oct 01, 2014
I am a Honda addict, but on this models, I prefer the Sienna. I have not seen the inside of the Odyssey before, but externally I love the Sienna shape.
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by femmy2010(m): 9:42pm On Oct 01, 2014
oweniwe: i am sure most of the posters above me have never entered or drove an Odyssey before.

If you have driven both then you do understand why peeps are rooting for the Sienna

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 02, 2014
oweniwe: i am sure most of the posters above me have never entered or drove an Odyssey before.

You say this, just because their choice differs from yours? Taste is subjective, there is no right or wrong.

Deal with it.

4 Likes

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by phillip001(m): 8:10am On Oct 02, 2014
Plz house, is odyssey a bad choice?I can't affort sienna for now and I want to buy odyssey,I need to know the common problem with odyssey, how good is the electrical and engine?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by oweniwe(m): 9:05am On Oct 02, 2014
femmy2010:

If you have driven both then you do understand why peeps are rooting for the Sienna

Siena:
You say this, just because their choice differs from yours? Taste is subjective, there is no right or wrong.
Deal with it.

the odyssey is more loaded than the sienna.....

Naija peeps avoid d odyssey coz of its 1999-2003 years transmission issues.

Also, the car doesnt tolerate much engine abuse unlike d sienna u can drive about with CEL on.

A well maintaned odyssey will dust the sienna (assuming they're same trim).

The sienna's rear suspension noise, bland+boring interior and fragile plastics are most annoying. I will never forget the day i wanted to open the passenger door dad's 02 sienna and the door's handle just scattered in my hand. I was so shocked shocked grin

I nor go lie, sienna's engine and gear are rugged sha. grin

phillip001: Plz house, is odyssey a bad choice?I can't affort sienna for now and I want to buy odyssey,I need to know the common problem with odyssey, how good is the electrical and engine?

avoid the 1999-03 year..... 2005 ^ wink

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by bravolad(m): 9:56am On Oct 02, 2014
oweniwe:
the odyssey is more loaded than the sienna.....
Naija peeps avoid d odyssey coz of its 1999-2003 years transmission issues.
Also, the car doesnt tolerate much engine abuse unlike d sienna u can drive about with CEL on.

I disagree with some of the points above. The interior of the Odyssey might be just a little better in term of the quality of dashboard. However, the exterior of the Sienna is a lot better than the Odyssey. Transmission failure is a major problem that requires an expensive fix. So nobody wants it irrespective of your financial status. Tolerance to abuse is a sure sign of reliability and efficiency.

oweniwe:
A well maintaned odyssey will dust the sienna (assuming they're same trim).
How did you arrive at this?

oweniwe:
The sienna's rear suspension noise, bland+boring interior and fragile plastics are most annoying.
You need to be specific. Which model of the Sienna has a rear noisy suspension? This is misinformation. Perhaps, the one you drove lacks proper car and maintenance. Hence, your faulty generalization...! Get your facts right.

oweniwe:
I will never forget the day i wanted to open the passenger door dad's 02 sienna and the door's handle just scattered in my hand. I was so shocked shocked grin
I nor go lie, sienna's engine and gear are rugged sha. grin
avoid the 1999-03 year..... 2005 ^ wink
Apparently, this is an obvious sign of lack of care and maintenance. A poorly maintained car door handles would fall apart irrespective of brand and model. Just for your information, while the Sienna and the Odyssey share the same sliding door platforms, the Sienna is a lot more rugged, reliable and easy to fix than the Odyssey. The cost is a function of who does the work for you.

4 Likes

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by oweniwe(m): 10:40am On Oct 02, 2014
bravolad:

I disagree with some of the points above. The interior of the Odyssey might be just a little better in term of the quality of dashboard. However, the exterior of the Sienna is a lot better than the Odyssey. Transmission failure is a major problem that requires an expensive fix. So nobody wants it irrespective of your financial status. Tolerance to abuse is a sure sign of reliability and efficiency.

How did you arrive at this?

You need to be specific. Which model of the Sienna has a rear noisy suspension? This is misinformation. Perhaps, the one you drove lacks proper car and maintenance. Hence, your faulty generalization...! Get your facts right.

Apparently, this is an obvious sign of lack of care and maintenance. A poorly maintained car door handles would fall apart irrespective of brand and model. Just for your information, while the Sienna and the Odyssey share the same sliding door platforms, the Sienna is a lot more rugged, reliable and easy to fix than the Odyssey. The cost is a function of who does the work for you.

ehn Look-at-ew.......

U didn't see wia i said 02 sienna?

Don't u know that certain defect are perculiar to certain cars/model years alone that no matter how much you maintain the car, the defect will come out.....

D door handle palava and rear suspension issues.... If u deny its a sienna problem, den you havent used sienna frequently...

So cos my sienna has suspension issue means its poorly maintained? There are brand new cars whose transmission failed or engine packed up after 30,000 miles.... Those ones are poorly maintained abi? All the toyota engines with stripped head bolt and sludge issues, they're poorly maintained too? 05 Nissan pathfinder's radiator defect that could result in coolant finding its way into the engine is due to poor maintenance?? Do you know what factory defect is?

Abeg, i dont have your time. grin

5 Likes

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by bravolad(m): 11:29am On Oct 02, 2014
oweniwe:
ehn Look-at-ew.......
U didn't see wia i said 02 sienna?
Don't u know that certain defect are perculiar to certain cars/model years alone that no matter how much you maintain the car, the defect will come out.....
D door handle palava and rear suspension issues.... If u deny its a sienna problem, den you havent used sienna frequently...
So cos my sienna has suspension issue means its poorly maintained? There are brand new cars whose transmission failed or engine packed up after 30,000 miles.... Those ones are poorly maintained abi? All the toyota engines with stripped head bolt and sludge issues, they're poorly maintained too? 05 Nissan pathfinder's radiator defect that could result in coolant finding its way into the engine is due to poor maintenance?? Do you know what factory defect is?
Abeg, i dont have your time. grin

You seem to have a comprehension problem. Perhaps, you need to read my post once again. You just muddled things up. I itemized my responses based on your comments earlier. An effeciency and reliable car won't have a transmission failure at 30000 miles. It has little or nothing to do with maintenance.

Application of force to any car door handle would certainly break it, so it's not peculiar to that model of Sienna. More so, some of these things wear out with age and time.
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by oweniwe(m): 12:01pm On Oct 02, 2014
bravolad:

Application of force to any car door handle would certainly break it, so it's not peculiar to that model of Sienna. More so, some of these things wear out with age and time.

this is wrong...... A whose car door that cannot withstand force is rubbish.... The door's internal cable may break due to wear..... But for the whole door handle to scatter out, waht do you call that .....

Try that with some car door handles and see if it wont strain your fingers and slam comfortably back in place.
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by 100Cents: 10:08am On Oct 04, 2014

1 Like

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by 100Cents: 10:11am On Oct 04, 2014
phillip001:
Plz house, is odyssey a bad choice?I can't affort sienna for now and I want to buy odyssey,I need to know the common problem with odyssey, how good is the electrical and engine?

The Odessy will always come cheaper than the Sienna for all their equals.

But guy, you can hardly maintain that odessey once it starts aging..
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 04, 2014
Sienna all the way,one thing I no about transporters is they use vehicles that are relaible,cheap to maintain and rugged and all those quality u can find it in a Sienna,incase u want prove go to Ojota garage and check for yourself.but personally I prefer a saloon because its a guy mans car. LAST BULLET:sienna to me is better than ods.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 04, 2014
100Cents:

The Honda Odessy is a very sweet car to drive, finer on the inside but the Sienna is finer on the outside unless you are driving the Sienna XLE variant which comes with full options and leather trimmed interior.

All the same, Honda cars are more drive comfortable while the Toyota cars are more durable.

For records , cars of this shape have gear box issues. I own a Sienna and will never buy any car of this shape again unless I will get a free maintenance warranty from wherever.

These cars are very costly to maintain..
Did you have a gearbox issue with your sienna? True, the greatest flaw of d sienna is the gearbox issue. But i tell you, if you have an OBD II diagnostic tool, your gearbox will trigger the CEL once its due for atf change and you use the right atf. i monitor my Sienna's CEL and i dont take any code i pull with levity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by bravolad(m): 7:59pm On Oct 04, 2014
100Cents:

For records , cars of this shape have gear box issues. I own a Sienna and will never buy any car of this shape again unless I will get a free maintenance warranty from wherever.
These cars are very costly to maintain..

Your gearbox problem is one of the isolated cases of car reviews for Toyota Sienna. Gearbox failure rate for Sienna is low, especially if the right fluid is used. From experience and available statistics, tranny failures are a direct result of a number of factors such as fluid type, usage and change intervals. Except some well documented car models and brands that seem to fail at certain mileage owing to factory defect. Most often, owners use wrong transmission fluids and begin to cry foul when issues come up. It's been emphasized on this forum and else where, that the state of one's car is inversely proportional to maintenance habits vis-a-vis quality of parts used for such maintenance. In Europe, America and Asian countries, these vehicles amass hundreds of thousands of miles with no major issues but once they find they ways into Nigeria, they begin to fall apart within a few months of usage.

I still believe the Sienna has a better interior but do agree that the qaulity of the dashboard is abysmally poor and nothing to write home about. I use the XLE trim and it's fun to drive. Acceleration is unbelievably smooth and fast.

Comparatively, maintenance for any car is not very cheap if you use original replacement parts. Apart from fueling in which case the Sienna with an awesome 20 gallons, every other thing is pretty much the same with other vehicles. The only caveat about the Sienna is the sliding door, which requires regular maintenance depending upon usage.

In conclusion, we see beauty in different ways (subjective). It's also subject to different levels of interpretation. So, any day, anytime, I go for the Sienna.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by nurey(m): 8:48pm On Oct 04, 2014
the first generation toyota sienna is very rugged and most reliable and abuse taking van in the world grin, the major issue the car has are the door handles including tank handle, boot handles. you need to be extremely careful for those handles to last it is a factory defect. and whats with opening the boot only from outside not from the inside thats bullshit

for the second generation, the odyssey is finer and more beautiful both on the inside and outside but guess what, the nissan quest is even more common than it. As for the 3rd generation, them swear for me, na sienna all the way TOYOTA just know how to make reliable cars and look every where 7 out of 10 cars are toyotas. but what annoys me about TOYOTA is that it is over rated if you ask to buy a car the first suggestion is toyota kilode na give other manufacturers a break grin cheesy tongue

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by muosky(m): 2:18am On Oct 06, 2014
I used a 2001 Odyssey, I regret ever selling that ride, it's balanced, speedy & nice interior.. #teamodyssey

1 Like

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by eaglechild: 4:36pm On Oct 07, 2014
please what is the average price for a low mileage 2006 to 09 sienna.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by megastu(m): 7:08pm On Oct 13, 2014
I have been using a 2001 Honda Odyssey for over 4 years and have had no issues apart from usual break pads, bushings etc as a result of our bad roads. I dont know where the transmission issues come in.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by chucky234(m): 8:22pm On Oct 13, 2014
femmy2010:

Why Siena if I may ask
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by chucky234(m): 8:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
nurey:
the first generation toyota sienna is very rugged and most reliable and abuse taking van in the world grin, the major issue the car has are the door handles including tank handle, boot handles. you need to be extremely careful for those handles to last it is a factory defect. and whats with opening the boot only from outside not from the inside thats bullshit

for the second generation, the odyssey is finer and more beautiful both on the inside and outside but guess what, the nissan quest is even more common than it. As for the 3rd generation, them swear for me, na sienna all the way TOYOTA just know how to make reliable cars and look every where 7 out of 10 cars are toyotas. but what annoys me about TOYOTA is that it is over rated if you ask to buy a car the first suggestion is toyota kilode na give other manufacturers a break grin cheesy tongue

Siena is overrated like every other Toyota cars.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by ikemefunam: 9:03pm On Sep 08, 2019
Please wanted either 2002 seinna or honda oddossy 2005 or 2006 for interstate transport.which do you advice,pls itemise your points with reasons
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by ikemefunam: 11:29pm On Sep 17, 2019
ikemefunam:
Please wanted either 2002 seinna or honda oddossy 2005 or 2006 for interstate transport.which do you advice,pls itemise your points with reasons
. Still waiting for reply
Re: Toyota Sienna Vs Honda Odyssey (PHOTO) by Idaytesj29(m): 12:55pm On Apr 22, 2022
ikemefunam:
. Still waiting for reply

Based on all they have said before, I will say Sienna.

But for a start up who may not be able to afford Sienna. You may try Odyssey

(1) (Reply)

LASTMA Official Vs Traffic Light, Which Would You Obey? / What Is The Extent Of Repair That 3rd Party Insurance Covers / Detailed Explanation On Car Engine Sludge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.