Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,511 members, 7,954,935 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:50 PM

Troublesome Camry And Vibration - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Troublesome Camry And Vibration (6945 Views)

I'm Confused On Which Car 2 Buy Betw Toyata Camry And Peugeot 406.pls Advice / KYB Shocks For Sienna, Camry And Highlander / Vibration And Jerking Problem With Mazda Millenia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Troublesome Camry And Vibration by fsb(m): 8:34pm On Oct 02, 2014
Dear NL motor enthusiasts,

I have this 1997 Toyota camry, automatic tranny. In the last few months, it developed one problem. The car vibrates while idling and the gear is in 'Drive' mode. As soon as the gear is shifted into 'Neutral' or 'Park', the vibration/rough idling disappears totally.

Anyway, a few months later, a failed oil pressure switch plus leaking oil destroyed the engine. Both the engine and gearbox were replaced. Sadly, a few days of driving the car and the same problems returned.

What could be wrong here? Any ideas would be helpful. My friend's Honda Accord 2008 developed exactly the same problem and the mechanic was thinking it could be as a result of a bad gear mount plus his lower control arm bushing.

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated.
Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:12pm On Oct 02, 2014
fsb: Dear NL motor enthusiasts,

I have this 1997 Toyota camry, automatic tranny. In the last few months, it developed one problem. The car vibrates while idling and the gear is in 'Drive' mode. As soon as the gear is shifted into 'Neutral' or 'Park', the vibration/rough idling disappears totally.

Anyway, a few months later, a failed oil pressure switch plus leaking oil destroyed the engine. Both the engine and gearbox were replaced. Sadly, a few days of driving the car and the same problems returned.

What could be wrong here? Any ideas would be helpful. My friend's Honda Accord 2008 developed exactly the same problem and the mechanic was thinking it could be as a result of a bad gear mount plus his lower control arm bushing.

Anyway, any ideas would be appreciated.

1st the ideal thing to do is to run a scan, it will norrow down your issues, 2nd thing is to eliminate the possible faults, what is constant in your vehicle. That could cause rough idling? assuming all the sensors on the new engine are ok,
1. Fuel pressure
2.Ecu
3.Harness (wiring)
4. Oxygen sensors
5..Map sensor
So what parts did you reuse? And what parts did you replace?

Please run a scan and post the codes here for better analysis of your problem.

1 Like

Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by fsb(m): 9:15pm On Oct 02, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

1st the ideal thing to do is to run a scan, it will norrow down your issues, 2nd thing is to eliminate the possible faults, what is constant in your vehicle. That could cause rough idling? assuming all the sensors on the new engine are ok,
1. Fuel pressure
2.Ecu
3.Harness (wiring)
4. Oxygen sensors
5..Map sensor
So what parts did you reuse? And what parts did you replace?

Thanks for this. Will do and get back to you.

Please run a scan and post the codes here for better analysis of your problem.
Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by blazeup(m): 6:09am On Oct 03, 2014
I had a similar issue with my camry 98 some time ago. does the rpm drop below 0.5 during idling?, clean the throttle body using a carburettor spray cleaner. this should help.
Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by santakris(m): 3:33am On Oct 04, 2014
The culprit is ur engine mount. Thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by sultaan(m): 6:10pm On Oct 04, 2014
How does a failed oil pressure switch destroy an engine and why do you need to replace engine and trans?

Why are you buying dead reliable Toyota?

It seems like a scam by all the so called dealers and mechanics to peddle dead cars
Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by fsb(m): 9:30pm On Oct 04, 2014
sultaan:
How does a failed oil pressure switch destroy an engine and why do you need to replace engine and trans?

Why are you buying dead reliable Toyota?

It seems like a scam by all the so called dealers and mechanics to peddle dead cars

With respect to the need to change d engile and the tranny, I was trying to cut the long story shot.

Well, the tranny developed this problem of not changing from the 1st gear until the RPM was closer to 4000. Changed gear oil frequently but was advised that the solution would be to replace the gear.

As for the engine, it was serviced by a mechanic who apparently didn't tighten the drain plug well enough. Anyway, my wife who uses the car was driving along the Lagos Ibadan Expressway when the engine knocked. It had to be towed to Ibadan and I decided to have both engine and tranny replaced.

This was months after the vibration problem started. Anyway, with a replacement engine and tranny, I expected the problem to hav disappeared. But it seemed to come back like a week after the engine and tranny were replaced.
Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by regaltj: 12:19am On Nov 24, 2014
You wasted so much money changing the engine and tranny. Engine revving high before changing gear ( and I suspect it jerks when changing) is as a result of bad TPS. Throttle Position Sensor. Shld not cost more than 20k.
Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by AutosBay(m): 6:55am On Nov 24, 2014
You have one of two problems. Either the engine rpm's are too low once the engine heats up or because of a bad engine or transmission mount the rubber mounts are not dampening the engine vibrations. If one of the mounts were bad, I would think you would have the problem whether the engine was hot or cold. An easy way to test the mounts is to power brake the vehicle while it is in gear. Do it both in drive and in reverse. If you have a bad mount, the engine will move excessively and many time when you release the gas, the engine will fall with a boom to the sub-frame. If the mounts pass testing, the next check is to see what your idle rpm's are in gear at a stop. Most vehicle will be in the 750 rpm range while idling in gear. If you find you have low idle speed there are many other components to check. Narrow it down to either engine speed or engine mounts.

1 Like

Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:28am On Nov 24, 2014
AutosBay:
You have one of two problems. Either the engine rpm's are too low once the engine heats up or because of a bad engine or transmission mount the rubber mounts are not dampening the engine vibrations. If one of the mounts were bad, I would think you would have the problem whether the engine was hot or cold. An easy way to test the mounts is to power brake the vehicle while it is in gear. Do it both in drive and in reverse. If you have a bad mount, the engine will move excessively and many time when you release the gas, the engine will fall with a boom to the sub-frame. If the mounts pass testing, the next check is to see what your idle rpm's are in gear at a stop. Most vehicle will be in the 750 rpm range while idling in gear. If you find you have low idle speed there are many other components to check. Narrow it down to either engine speed or engine mounts.
smiley

Op its all summed up here

1 Like

Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by bigrovar(m): 7:54am On Nov 24, 2014
Change your engine mount. (aka engine seat by nigerian mechanics)

2 Likes

Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by fsb(m): 7:18pm On Dec 18, 2014
bigrovar:
Change your engine mount. (aka engine seat by nigerian mechanics)

This problem has been resolved. The solution was to change the 4 wires that insert into the spark plugs - dat entire connection was changed and problem disappeared. Engine mount was not replaced.

3 Likes

Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 18, 2014
fsb:

This problem has been resolved. The solution was to change the 4 wires that insert into the spark plugs - dat entire connection was changed and problem disappeared. Engine mount was not replaced.

Before you changed the wires you would've noticed sparks around the wires at night as if they were "leaking current". That's the cause of the rough idling
Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by zzeekkee: 4:38am On Feb 07, 2017
Please how did you arrive at the solution (changing the wires and not the engine seat)?
Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by edinyoh: 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2017
Im facing the same problem. My 1995camry is still vibrating when i stop in drive mode. Iv changed the engine sitting and all my spark plugs but still persisting. I really dnt knw what to do.
Re: Troublesome Camry And Vibration by Opoki(m): 5:28pm On Jul 02, 2017
Help, engine check yellow light came up on my dashboard. Just now.

(1) (Reply)

DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working / How To Change Your Car’s Spark Plugs / Rav4 L Or J

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.