Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working (6899 Views)

I Am Considering DIY Car Painting, What Do You Think? / The Honda Place Abuja Bills Man N15million To Fix A N4million Honda Civic Coupe / 7 Symptoms Of A Bad Clutch Master Cylinder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by AutoReportNG2: 3:58pm On Feb 25, 2017
This guide was created to show you what to look for when your car's clutch stops working. It will give you the most popular causes for clutch problems and links to repair the problems. Before we begin it's a good idea to know how a clutch works so you can visualize what is happening when driving or trying to drive your car.

IS IT SAFE TO DRIVE?

There are two scenarios that will occur when a clutch starts to go out. Either it will just stop working or you will hear noises or feel something strange which are symptoms of the clutch having a problem. Any noise the clutch is making is not good, but a general rule of thumb is if the sounds are loud it needs a repair immediately and if the problem seems slight then you should be okay for a little while.

SERVICE COSTS

Most of the time a repair garage will look at a clutch problem for no charge if you are willing to have them do the repair. But if you are after a diagnosis they will charge between $35.00 and $45.00 (15000 - 20000 naira) to find out what the problem is and where to go from there.

LET'S GET STARTED!

1. Clutch Pedal Spongy, Weak or On The Floor: When you have a problem with the clutch pedal could mean there is a clutch fluid leak at the slave cylinder or the clutch master is bypassing internally. Begin by checking the fluid level of the clutch master cylinder. If the fluid is low or is completely out the system is leaking. After adding fluid use a flashlight to check the rear of the master which is done from under the dash where the clutch pedal rod connects to the rear of the clutch master, if a leak is present it needs to be replaced. The slave cylinder can leak as well, inspect for leaks at the dust boot or at the bottom of the transmission bell housing if the unit is located internally. Sometimes a mechanical failure can occur as well such as having a clutch fork break but this does happen very often.

2. Clutch Disc Failure: When a clutch disc fails it can do so in one for two ways. First the disc lining can become worn out from normal usage which will make the clutch slip not allowing the power of the engine to transfer through to the transmission, or the lining can come off not allowing the clutch to disengage. In either case the clutch must be replaced.

3. Pilot Bearing Lock Up: The pilot bearing which is located at the rear of the crankshaft is designed to support the input shaft of the transmission. When it locks up it will continuously spin the input shaft of the transmission which will not allow you to put the transmission into gear. The transmission must be removed and the pilot bearing replaced to fix this problem.

Additional Tips: If the vehicle is running and a whirring sound is heard form the transmission. Then it goes away when the clutch is depressed the transmission input shaft bearing has failed and needs replacement.

Source
http://www.autoreportng.com/2017/02/diy-how-to-fix-clutch-that-is-not.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by AutoReportNG2: 3:59pm On Feb 25, 2017
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by Tekecoms1(m): 7:44am On Feb 26, 2017
I just hope it will be an easy or quick fix.
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by Lincoln275(m): 7:44am On Feb 26, 2017
happy sunday to u all
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by HRich(m): 7:44am On Feb 26, 2017
I would like you guys to also fix your pockets with this, na today ooO

3JLKQSM

3 Likes

Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by dessz(m): 7:46am On Feb 26, 2017
what's a clutch.
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by klomach: 7:48am On Feb 26, 2017
Lincoln275:
happy sunday to u all
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by Christane: 7:50am On Feb 26, 2017
take it to the mechanic for proper repair.
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by forayfleo(m): 7:51am On Feb 26, 2017
Happy Sunday my people, Do not forget to do church wish u the best of luck.
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by khristals(m): 7:54am On Feb 26, 2017
Before you give up in life just take a look at the hair around your anus.. Despite their environment they still grow

1 Like

Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by Sisqoman(m): 8:00am On Feb 26, 2017
The person comment under me is a Mechanic.
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by PqsMike: 8:00am On Feb 26, 2017
Nice Shoes wink

Modified

To the person above me...you're wrong...the one below me is a certified Mechanic
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by lonelydora: 8:18am On Feb 26, 2017
Nice one.
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by Donald7610: 8:20am On Feb 26, 2017
Get clear details

1 Like

Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by VeniJu: 9:13am On Feb 26, 2017
How DIY is being misinterpreted. A man was caught Masturbating. When asked why he's doing that when he's married with a lovely wife, he said, he learnt on NL that you can't reply on others always.. So, he's doing it himself.cheesycheesy
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by nelsonebby(m): 9:51am On Feb 26, 2017
Cars dey get clutch?
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by FILEBE(m): 9:59am On Feb 26, 2017
what does a clutch do?
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by nurusystem(m): 11:30am On Feb 26, 2017
Thank bro,you do well
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by DaudaAbu(m): 12:53pm On Feb 26, 2017
nelsonebby:
Cars dey get clutch?

I think this basically refers to manual transmissions.

So if you are an auto freak you might not understand

1 Like

Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by KayB: 1:20pm On Feb 26, 2017
Helpful
Re: DIY: How To Fix A Clutch That Is Not Working by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 26, 2017
I'm not seeing how the title of this thread relates to it's content.

(1) (Reply)

MOT Certificate: Was Your Car Physically Examined Before You Were Issued One? / Need A Price For Honda Accord Euro 2003, Cotonou Price, Full Options / Vehicle Inspector Office (VIO) Addresses In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.