Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist (13824 Views)

Ministerial Nomination: We Won't Endorse Amaechi, Rivers Senators Insist / 2015: No Basis For Objection Over Buhari's Credentials- INEC / 2015: No Zoning In Our Constitution - APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 05, 2014
FACT: there is no democracy in Islam. Their yearnings and cries for special treatment has its roots in an authoritarian religion devoid of choice and individuality.

They may cleverly try to hide behind intellectual speakers and eye-glass wearing clerics. The message is the same. Islam or die. There is no other lie any Muslim can tell the world.

6 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by delishpot: 5:00pm On Oct 05, 2014
taiwoakin:

Islam is a complete way of life.
Unlike other religions, you practice Islam 24 hours of everyday
Use of hijab by Muslim ladies is not a cultural thing, it is a commandment by Allah in the Glorious Qur'an
Not using the hijab means you are neglecting the commandment of Allah and committing a sin
The use of hijab does not affect non-muslims in anyway neither does it affect the quality of education being offered or received
So i dont understand why people are opposed to it except either ignorance or hatred for anything islamic

To those who dont understand the importance of this campaign, the use of hijab by a muslim lady is compulsory as commanded by Allah in the Quran whenever the lady is in public and the Nigerian educational system is forcing the Muslim lady to compromis her beliefs by removing the hijab when in the school environment

Truth be told, I understand where you are comming from. Lets do it this way, as long as the dress does not insult our eyes and as long as its the faith and belief of the wearer, it should be allowed. But eleha cant be accepted sha o. Make we for know who dey write exams under that cloth.
Well, as long as the muslims will not kick against others too when it comes to their beliefs I see no wrong in wearing the hijab.
I see nothing wrong in wearing the hijab sha.

2 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by PapiWata: 5:05pm On Oct 05, 2014
delishpot:

But eleha cant be accepted sha o. Make we for know who dey write exams under that cloth.

True talk. Make dem no come discover say na university girl she boyfriend when be medical doctor, come go carry masquerade cover face to siddon take Biology exam for him girlfriend, talk say na religious freedom dem dey exercise.

2 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by taiwoakin(m): 7:36pm On Oct 05, 2014
voltron:

So why are Muslims not wearing hijab at their workplace if allah demands it. Oya wear it at zenith bank or access bank or at the airport. Or are Muslims women just house wives who I've no regular jobs? Cos I don't see any wearing hijab at the workplace.

they do, only you may not notice it.
The dress code of First bank Nigeria which i have read personally permits the use of hijab by staff of the bank
Public service dress code in most states (though i have not read most, also permit use of hijab)
I have seen many bankers use the hijab, Though many of them also choose not use it
The point is that those willing to follow Allah's command should be permitted to without hinderance

2 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by taiwoakin(m): 7:48pm On Oct 05, 2014
superstar1:

So your religion ask you not to respect constituted authority and law of the land? You can as well relocate to the lawless caliphate of ISIS, failed state of Somalia, Yemen, Aghanistan and Iraq or the authoritarian and barbaric Iran, where your dream version of constituted authority exists.

If it was commanded by Allah, take your kids to your madrasas or private Islamic schools. Show us the part of the quaran that says your kids must attend public schools. If you must obey Allah strictly without using your senses, take your children to madrasas and let them learn only Arabic or learn anything they want to learn in life in Arabic.

If they must attend a school that belongs to all of us, that we are all funding by paying our taxes, then they should drop their hijabs at the gate while entering the school in the morning and take it back on their way home.

Public school belong to all of us and it is a collective property that NO FAITH has any right whatsoever to demand what is not.

I repeat, govt hijacked the schools of other faiths and communities because of Muslims and now you are insulting our sensibilities again by demanding for what is not.

I pray the court should give you the right to wear the hijab. And govt too will see a mega sample of madness. It's only masquerade that went to school in Iwo, horn carrying kids, wearing uniform with cowries will soon be seen in our schools.

It is simply because our religion has respect for constituted authority that we took the case to court
It is also perfectly legal to deny any candidate or party who doesnt respect our religion our votes at the election and thats why we are going to toe that line.
The Nigerian constitution guarantees the right we are demanding and the court shall vindicate us
Your last paragraph warrants no reply, it is based on baseless fears and false and malicious assumptions

2 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by taiwoakin(m): 7:54pm On Oct 05, 2014
superstar1:

Who cares about what anybody wears outside a designated public office that has a dress code. If you like wear black hijab from head to toe in scorching sun, who bloody cares?

The fact remains, a public institution belongs to all of us and only you cannot start religious anarchy by demanding for one stup1d fundamental religious right, that we all dropped for the good of the society, by embracing uniform ab initio.

It is either government cancels uniform out rightly or everyone must exercise the religious right too.

[s]Mind you, that was the same way the then Muslim President hijacked all schools from missionaries and made it public schools. Those are the same schools you want to be wearing your hijabs to now. The fact remains the bulk of all the schools are either formerly christian or community schools. Wear your hijab in the minute schools you donated to the Govt. The govt has done enough to rub peter to pay Paul, by hijacking the Christian, other faiths and community school just because of Muslims. It is now an outright insult of all, taking a step further demanding hijab on a property that was never yours ab initio.[/s]

give us the name of any schools that was under the care of muslims, before govt took them over, that was a top school?

Coming here to tell blanket lies
you are a liar from the pit of hell, Schools were taken over at state level not at federal level.
many of the Govs. who did the take-over were Christians and some of those who returned them back were Muslims including former Gov. Tinubu
so dont come here to tell cheap lies cos i will expose you for what you are
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 05, 2014
hijab in schools hasn't for once been ideal. it creates this religious division among pupils.
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by taiwoakin(m): 8:07pm On Oct 05, 2014
GuyFawkes:

Well neither am I advocating a chistian governor or whatever, since when did religion become a yardstick for competence? But the demands of the so called Lagos muslims has undertones of demanding a muslim governor.

As I said nobody saw Mary the mother of Jesus, you base your assumptions on those illustrations by the catholic church, covering the hair might have been the norm in that period in history even and it wasn't all about religion.

No one is castigating muslims for wearing hijab, Lagos state wants its schools to remain secular and have uniformity simple.

Secular means not subject to or bound by religious rule.

Lagos schools have never been secular, they conducted christian assemblies throughout the week until Muslims demanded that they have thursday and friday assembly and not even every Lagos school has complied (depending on the PTA) 3 days for christians and 2 for muslims)

They close at 1pm on fridays to enable Muslims attend the jumaat service
They conduct christian valedictory service for Teachers transferred to other schools and so on and so forth

2 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by superstar1(m): 9:53pm On Oct 05, 2014
taiwoakin:

It is simply because our religion has respect for constituted authority that we took the case to court
It is also perfectly legal to deny any candidate or party who doesnt respect our religion our votes at the election and thats why we are going to toe that line.
The Nigerian constitution guarantees the right we are demanding and the court shall vindicate us
Your last paragraph warrants no reply, it is based on baseless fears and false and malicious assumptions

Mscheeeeeeeew. If you do not take it to court, what would you have done?

Please, we are begging you to deny candidate that will refuse to dance to your cheap blackmail, your votes. We will see the magic your so-called vote will do.

So the Nigerian Constitution does not guarantee the so-called right of wearing hijab in the army or paramilitary. Hypocrisy of the highest order. How does a public institution like military different from public schools?

After hijab, what will be the next right you will like to enforce -- my guess is camel riding. Lol

2 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by superstar1(m): 10:06pm On Oct 05, 2014
U
taiwoakin:

Coming here to tell blanket lies
you are a liar from the pit of hell, Schools were taken over at state level not at federal level.
many of the Govs. who did the take-over were Christians and some of those who returned them back were Muslims including former Gov. Tinubu
so dont come here to tell cheap lies cos i will expose you for what you are

So Muritala Muhammed that enacted the decree before he was assassinated was a christian president, you must be a blatant liar or joker at most.

Read up and stop displaying your ignorance here.
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by soonest(f): 10:44pm On Oct 05, 2014
tartar9:
how does someone else right on what she wears in any way affects you or infringes on your right.
He said full shariah shld be implemented in Nig or u didn't see that one.
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by soonest(f): 10:53pm On Oct 05, 2014
AbdH:

There is no infringement whatsoever on others' right with shari'ah.
Thrash! Tell that to the birds. The word alone is an anathema to my ears. Everything shariah is an infringement on my right. Sharia my foot!

2 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by AbdH: 11:05pm On Oct 05, 2014
soonest:

Thrash! Tell that to the birds. The word alone is an anathema to my ears. Everything shariah is an infringement on my right. Sharia my foot!

You write too much bile for a lady. Anyways, I don't want to comment on the topic anymore so you have the floor.
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by soonest(f): 11:13pm On Oct 05, 2014
AbdH:

I don't want to comment on the topic anymore so you have the floor.
Fine and good except u don't come back touting sharia in our faces
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by GuyFawkes: 4:06am On Oct 06, 2014
taiwoakin:

Secular means not subject to or bound by religious rule.

Lagos schools have never been secular, they conducted christian assemblies throughout the week until Muslims demanded that they have thursday and friday assembly and not even every Lagos school has complied (depending on the PTA) 3 days for christians and 2 for muslims)

They close at 1pm on fridays to enable Muslims attend the jumaat service
They conduct christian valedictory service for Teachers transferred to other schools and so on and so forth

Isn't hijab an islamic rule?
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by tosin2013: 5:35am On Oct 06, 2014
OlaoChi:

Lol pls show us the hijab wearing French, Canadians, Swedish etc.
they are foreigners whom still complain that the system is against Islam.
Just recently France prohibited burka outside the house as burka wearing muslims have comitted so much crimes in than guise

Muslims in the West complain, they want European countries to be like the middle east they ran away from grin

You are not Yoruba pls stop calling yourself Yoruba. You are an Arab slave

and you are a what? western slave? with all funky jeans and pleated skirts? you use coloured chalk and powder as make-up, bleach your skin and use artificial hair just to look like Caucasians!! grin grin grin grin
AFRICAN INDEED!!! cheesy hypocrisy OF THE HIGHEST ORDER.

let help you continue to cure your ignorance:

1. hijab is not an Arab culture at all. Pre Islamic Arabs used to dress half-nude like your western masters today kiss

2. Islam today is indigenous (ie >300 yrs)to over 100 countries around the world, particularly non- Arab ones like Indonesia, Malaysia, Senegal, Tanzania, china, india and all this cultures ( which are older, richer and more prestigious) av accepted the Hijab for the muslims there

3. I repeat many European countries allow school pupils to put on hijab with their uniform. what they don't allow is the face veil or burqa and this not compulsory in Islam. Infact public and private schools in south Africa must not discriminate over the hijab!

4. are you guys better or more religious than desmond tutu of south Africa or more secular than the americans?!!

Likewise, it is important for Western countries to avoid impeding Muslim citizens from practicing religion as they see fit, for instance, by dictating what clothes a Muslim woman should wear. We can’t disguise hostility towards any religion behind the pretence of liberalism.President Barack Hussien Obama, cairo university, 2009
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by soonest(f): 7:11am On Oct 06, 2014
tosin2013:

Likewise, it is important for Western countries to avoid impeding Muslim citizens from practicing religion as they see fit, for instance, by dictating what clothes a Muslim woman should wear. We can’t disguise hostility towards any religion behind the pretence of liberalism.President Barack Hussien Obama, cairo university, 2009
Hope all these are applicable to non muslims in Saudi Arabia?

3 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by OlaoChi: 11:02am On Oct 06, 2014
tosin2013:

and you are a what? western slave? with all funky jeans and pleated skirts? you use coloured chalk and powder as make-up, bleach your skin and use artificial hair just to look like Caucasians!! grin grin grin grin
AFRICAN INDEED!!! cheesy hypocrisy OF THE HIGHEST ORDER.

let help you continue to cure your ignorance:

1. hijab is not an Arab culture at all. Pre Islamic Arabs used to dress half-nude like your western masters today kiss

2. Islam today is indigenous (ie >300 yrs)to over 100 countries around the world, particularly non- Arab ones like Indonesia, Malaysia, Senegal, Tanzania, china, india and all this cultures ( which are older, richer and more prestigious) av accepted the Hijab for the muslims there

3. I repeat many European countries allow school pupils to put on hijab with their uniform. what they don't allow is the face veil or burqa and this not compulsory in Islam. Infact public and private schools in south Africa must not discriminate over the hijab!

4. are you guys better or more religious than desmond tutu of south Africa or more secular than the americans?!!

I can see u are a dumb one
Have u ever seen me in ur life? do you know me? No!
Why then do you conclude that I wear jeans, fix gain extensions and put western make up?

This is about Islam, don't lie and make silly assumptions to prove a point that doesn't make any sense

1. Hijab is middle eastern mode of dressing for women, mostly Arabs and Canaans, hijab and face veils are a semitic Asian culture
like jeans are an American culture and suits are European

2. Islam is only indigenous to Arab land, like Buddhism is indigenous to Indian lands

3. I ask for proof..pictures or I don't believe it

4. Americans are majority Christians with over 70% on paper, Islam is no threat because it is insignificant in the country with less than 1% of the entire American population
Compare with Nigeria where christianity and Islam are at locked horns with over 40% shared
So if Schools in Nigeria want to favor one religion by allowing hijab they should allow christianity with all their religious regalia
Not forgetting the traditionalist especially in South West where traditionalists are many

4 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by OlaoChi: 11:09am On Oct 06, 2014
taiwoakin:

Use of hijab by Muslim ladies is not a cultural thing, it is a commandment by Allah in the Glorious Qur'an
Not using the hijab means you are neglecting the commandment of Allah and committing a sin
The use of hijab does not affect non-muslims in anyway neither does it affect the quality of education being offered or received
So i dont understand why people are opposed to it except either ignorance or hatred for anything islamic

To those who dont understand the importance of this campaign, the use of hijab by a muslim lady is compulsory as commanded by Allah in the Quran whenever the lady is in public and the Nigerian educational system is forcing the Muslim lady to compromis her beliefs by removing the hijab when in the school environment

Again u proof ur silliness.

Ask a Christian...he would tell you christianity is 24hrs a day way of life
Ask a buddhist the same thing
Ask a sango worshiper the same thing

So why should a Muslim wear hijab and expect sango male students not to come with braided hair as Sango ordered his followers or Obatala worshipers not to come in all white

Allowing hijab would prompt other religions to demand their own
Then there's chaos in schools- place meant for learning

Leave religion in your home, if you can't you don't deserve secular education

4 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by sweetgala(m): 12:03pm On Oct 06, 2014
taiwoakin:

Christianity is a lifestyle as-well or should be and a righteous christian would tell you that the aim of the faith is to be like christ in everything you do.
Let me remind you that wearing hijab and praying 5 times daily alone does not signify righteousness in islam , but rather the fullness of your actions at all time.
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by tartar9(m): 1:02pm On Oct 06, 2014
soonest:

He said full shariah shld be implemented in Nig or u didn't see that one.
and so.
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by tartar9(m): 1:07pm On Oct 06, 2014
voltron:
FACT: there is no democracy in Islam. Their yearnings and cries for special treatment has its roots in an authoritarian religion devoid of choice and individuality.

They may cleverly try to hide behind intellectual speakers and eye-glass wearing clerics. The message is the same. Islam or die. There is no other lie any Muslim can tell the world.
says who imam voltron.
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by tartar9(m): 1:10pm On Oct 06, 2014
olumuyiolaoluwa:
Taiwoakin /quote]God is Wonderful. You are just trying so so hard to justify your point, I deliberately gave you the address of where that event happened. Are you not in Nigeria during the Kaduna crises that ur likes were hunted and killed those that manage to escape happened to move to where CHRISTIANS and the natives are. I don't need to be telling u all this its a known fact. Then why claiming that I am using one event as a basis of generalisation. I know your type, just measured you up, Continue in your usual way until you bridge the Peace of the LAND. The way your Masters are doing in IRAQ, I know you are a die hard fan of the ARABIAN god. I never blamed you ooo. If not for Abdulsalam that sneaked the SHARIA LAW into the NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION both claiming SUPREMACY you wouldn't have been telling me this JAZZZZZZ.
what is this one saying.
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by vivalavida(m): 1:11pm On Oct 06, 2014
Alimtoheeb:
I pray dat Allah (swt) help our leaders Τ̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡ see †ђξ advantages that lies in Using hijab,using of hijab will surelly reduce molestation nd also establish nd increase our girls dignity, raping will decrease, and if endorse, I pray other people won't Misuse it, nd if also endorse, der may be some instrument of destruction dat will be telling dos girlz Τ̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡ be wearing traditional attires Τ̅Ơ̴̴̴̴͡ school as it happen some months ago in State of Osun, I pray peace reign in Nigeria......GOD Bless Nigeria.

Did the use of hijab abd burqua stop your brothers frm kidnapping the chibok girls?

2 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by vivalavida(m): 1:13pm On Oct 06, 2014
AbdH:
Muslims should start calling for the full implementation of Shari'ah. Democracy will never favour us, the moment we start seeing that the better for us.

The new Abu qaqa

2 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by olumuyiolaoluwa: 1:31pm On Oct 06, 2014
tartar9:
what is this one saying.
u nid to go bac to sch then.
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by zyzxx(m): 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2014
dridowu:
Fixed and the Islam i grew up to know is Peace and it does not encourage violence, so any mistake/offence we made should be blame on us not on our religion
not fixed. Have u forgotten dat religion is our believe and many of us are d product of our religion ?

And dis people are fighting nw on behalf of religion
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by Adetula1(m): 4:47pm On Oct 06, 2014
tartar9:
and so.
that will only happen if Nigeria is no more

1 Like

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by Ovamboland(m): 7:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
They cover their heads and not hijab per say. Some banks don't allow it but GTB,First Bank allows a neat wrap up of the head.
For me, I would rather that we all approach things in a very civilized manner. Whether we like it or or not there is history.
1) Most Schools are off shoot of western or missionary groups and so the culture of those schools.
2) The Nigerian government took control of all the schools at some point making all the governments.
3)Nigeria is and remains a secular states.(It is not an Islamic State, A Christian State or Ifa State)

I think every religion should set this as number one in all religious matters. Citizens of a secular state should not vote for candidates because of their religion but on the quality of their manifesto and their track records.

For the sake of peace, I thought most schools had berets already. This way, every girl can cover their heads.Except if the issue is not head covering.Must it be the Arab style of covering? Maybe a head gear can be designed for schools that will neither be western or Arabian. Maybe just a Nigerian head covering will do....this I think should resolve it for we are talking about uniforms here.
taiwoakin:

they do, only you may not notice it.
The dress code of First bank Nigeria which i have read personally permits the use of hijab by staff of the bank
Public service dress code in most states (though i have not read most, also permit use of hijab)
I have seen many bankers use the hijab, Though many of them also choose not use it
The point is that those willing to follow Allah's command should be permitted to without hinderance
Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by superstar1(m): 7:44pm On Oct 06, 2014
Ovamboland:
They cover their heads and not hijab per say. Some banks don't allow it but GTB,First Bank allows a neat wrap up of the head.
For me, I would rather that we all approach things in a very civilized manner. Whether we like it or or not there is history.
1) Most Schools are off shoot of western or missionary groups and so the culture of those schools.
2) The Nigerian government took control of all the schools at some point making all the governments.
3)Nigeria is and remains a secular states.(It is not an Islamic State, A Christian State or Ifa State)

I think every religion should set this as number one in all religious matters. Citizens of a secular state should not vote for candidates because of their religion but on the quality of their manifesto and their track records.

For the sake of peace, I thought most schools had berets already. This way, every girl can cover their heads.Except if the issue is not head covering.Must it be the Arab style of covering? Maybe a head gear can be designed for schools that will neither be western or Arabian. Maybe just a Nigerian head covering will do....this I think should resolve it for we are talking about uniforms here.

God bless you.

If head covering is really the issue, what happened to beret in schools, why must it be Arab head covering?

4 Likes

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by soonest(f): 7:55pm On Oct 06, 2014
tartar9:
and so.
I see ur sight is selective. Till altlantic ocean dries up b4 that will ever materalize. U guys should keep dreaming!

1 Like

Re: 2015: “no Hijab, No Voting”- Lagos Muslims Insist by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 06, 2014
We play the religious card in politics in economy now we are playing it on the table of education. We shall come here a couple of years from now to express our shock that a group of kids slit the throats of their mates in class.this is the reward blind loyalty to religion without reason brings you

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

LG Poll Holds Today In Ondo Without Main Opposition Party / Photos: Ambode And Sir Shina Peters At Opening Of 2016 One Lagos Fiesta / "I Will Not Apologize To Saraki" - Ali Ndume, Suspended Lawmaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.