Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,026 members, 7,828,599 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time - Celebrities (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time (65906 Views)

(photos) Model With The Biggest Hips In Africa Releases New Photos / 5 Reasons Why Don Jazzy Is The Greatest Nigerian Producer / MTV Africa Releases Their List Of Top 20 Greatest Naija Songs Of All Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by DonaldGenes(m): 3:10pm On Oct 03, 2014
benega: Dat Awkward moment where you are on fp but don't know what 2 comment :-/ . Check ma signature.
Make i check and LIKE Yøur Profile ghost pix?
grin
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by summerflame(m): 3:17pm On Oct 03, 2014
I spent 3 months in Tanzania, egypt, South Africa, Dubai, Kenya before coming back to Nigeria, the most popular song I heard on every streets are - AYE and Skelewu - Davido, Testimony - P square, Yemi Alade - Jonnie, Tu face - african Queen, Story - P square, Tattoo girls - faze.. I think these MTV are playing politics and not realities
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 3:19pm On Oct 03, 2014
I have always wondered: If African Queen had been released in 2014, would it be a hit? I doubt it. The market no longer has any appetite for slow/love songs. Gbam Gbam Gboom Gboom kpangolo songs have taken over.

By the way, this list is a joke. Whoever compiled it clearly has no idea what "all time" means. No mention of monster super hits of the 1970s, 80s and 90s. . . . Complete joke.

2 Likes

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by UyiIredia(m): 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2014
keyzid: Where Terry G.....Free madness grin cheesy

U sabi wey madness. I don SCATTER AM FOR GROUND, reason am, SCATTER AM, see say, e no dey work on me.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2014
What about Olumaintain Yahooze :-XWhat about Olumaintain Yahooze
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by tunery004(m): 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2014
Where is Searching by OJB, Kon kon Below by Lagbaja??
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by juzzychuks(m): 3:20pm On Oct 03, 2014
Dottune: The Top 5 Should be In This Arrangement:

1. African Queen- 2face
2. Do me - Psquare
3. Why Me - D'banj
4. Gan Gan Aso - 9ice
5. Hollar At Your Boy- Wizkid
Lol@ bolded
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Walphem(m): 3:22pm On Oct 03, 2014
It should be top 20songs of this generation. ..we do not opening it I knew african queen will be No 1
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by naptu2: 3:22pm On Oct 03, 2014
UjSizzle:
I know the latest versions of the songs here, with the exception of Sweet Mother. But that still doesn't make them All Time bests. What parameters are your judgements based on?

I'll like to know what MTV Africa used too, because some of the songs they listed are trash.

You don't know Sweet Mother? No mother's day in Nigeria is complete without it.

Each one of those songs was a major hit in Nigeria (number one on many tv and radio charts). They were also hits beyond Nigeria (Sweet Mother, Hello Africa etc were pan african hits. Hello Africa was in the top ten in several European countries). Not only were they hits for their time (that is, the year they were released and a few years afterwards) they remain major hits long afterwards, eg

No mother's day in Nigeria is complete without Sweet Mother. If you doubt me, listen to radio stations the next mother's day and see how many stations will play it.

Hello Africa is perennially associated with Africa. Watch and see if this song is not played at any major event that's associated with Africa (in Africa and europe). It was not only number 1 in Nigeria, but also number 1 in Austria, number 2 in Germany, number 7 in Switzerland and number 1 in many African countries. It was also a top ten hit across Europe.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_Afrika_(song)

Sawale and Baby Jowo are so good that, not only are the originals regularly played on radio, but they've spawned several cover versions (Feladey, Flavour, etc for Sawalele and Art Alade, L.t Shotgun, etc for Baby Jowo). Who would want to cover a crappy song?

These are some of the greatest Nigerian songs ever.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by luckman20(m): 3:24pm On Oct 03, 2014
dagrin olenu bi ponpon ponpon
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by xtervaganza(m): 3:25pm On Oct 03, 2014
kasniga: Dj jimmy jattz- Lagos anthem..
I'm sure u meant stylee
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by tecno4life(m): 3:31pm On Oct 03, 2014
rman: What about Olufunmi

And Call My Name by Styl Plys? sad

For me, those two are far better than some of the songs on that list.
MTV dey mad sha! At least Olufunmi shuld be on that list. Cause its far better than even African Queen *my opinion though*
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by stjsd(m): 3:36pm On Oct 03, 2014
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by azpekuliar: 3:41pm On Oct 03, 2014
Rubbish list!

That's the list of the Greatest Nigerian songs of the last decade!

Definitely not of all time! Gaddamit!
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by beinstein(m): 3:43pm On Oct 03, 2014
i won't take the list serious until they find a way and include at least a Fela's track.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by tecno4life(m): 3:44pm On Oct 03, 2014
Styl plus-Olunfunmi
Zulezu- kerewa
victor Uwaifo- Joromi
Mavin all stars- Dorobucci grin
if Davido wan enter by force dem 4 put Aye. Idiots, so styl plus works are in vain.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by mabeni(m): 3:48pm On Oct 03, 2014
Djinee- ego
nigga Raw- obodo
any of Ekwe songs
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by remsonik(f): 3:50pm On Oct 03, 2014
nonsense list. what happened to asa,obey,sunny ade,onyeka onwenu,omawumi,and some other evergreen songs
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 3:51pm On Oct 03, 2014
No Mr Endowed! what a sham list...no Ikechukwu
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 3:56pm On Oct 03, 2014
Wen u smoke wet weed... U can't account for ur actions #smh
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by akandea(m): 4:04pm On Oct 03, 2014
Where is Forever- MI and sip easy free style ft 2face?
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 03, 2014
Right to a large extent.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 03, 2014
philmimi1992: where is CHINKPAN by Zulezu?
gringringrin
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by edi287: 4:12pm On Oct 03, 2014
Arva:
Seyi Sodimu- love me jeje.

Tag- tomis14
Agreed.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by decepticos(m): 4:18pm On Oct 03, 2014
Funny how the list is supposed to not be genre specific but, cuts out a lot of good songs, seems mtv only focused on songs that have appeared on their shows cos if we begin from the 60s at least I am sure (it may just be me being one sided but) no psquare song should make the list.
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Mancity26(m): 4:22pm On Oct 03, 2014
Dottune: It's not among the Top 5
i understand
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Mannylex(m): 4:24pm On Oct 03, 2014
Where is Ijoya by Weird mc ? That was a banger back then. Young and old danced to that song... And the video was very creative, it should have made that list.

Have no fear; Mannylex is here
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by ukandi1(m): 4:29pm On Oct 03, 2014
Adikam: Dbanj,neato c &flavour should'nt be on that list...meanwhile one of FACE song should be there & NICE FT 2FACE street credibility also.wizkid songs can neva be evergreen wit dat childish lyrics but i think mtv african gateman arrange the list wit female cleanner.

hahahahahahahahahaha
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by alex406(m): 4:31pm On Oct 03, 2014
Dagrin... Popopopo
Psqaure ....busy body
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Dottune(m): 4:37pm On Oct 03, 2014
Mancity26:
i understand
Yeah, but it's a very lovely Song, I really enjoyed the song, I think I 1st heard in 2008
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by Dottune(m): 4:38pm On Oct 03, 2014
juzzychuks: Lol@ bolded
Lol, did I not get the spelling right?
Re: MTV Africa Releases List Of 20 Greatest Nigerian Songs Of All Time by austinbrown: 4:40pm On Oct 03, 2014
What of Sky B

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Jidenna Wore This Dress To Harper’s Bazaar Icons Party, Trends On Social Media / Yul Edochie Reacts To Tiwa Savage Sex Tape / Metro Delight Hotel Abuja Sealed Over Death Of Zulee Zoo's Michael Aboh (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.