Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,526 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils (20415 Views)

Mobil-1 5w20 And 5w-30 Oil / Where To Get Mobil 1 5w-20 Synthetic Oil / Serious Accident Around Ojodu Berger (just After Mobil Petrol Station) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Bossmd: 6:43am On Oct 05, 2014
anneki:

The oils that you will buy from a Honda dealer in the US are Synthetic Blend. There must be something Honda knows that we don't.

Semi-synthetic oils (also called 'synthetic blends') are blends of mineral oil with no more than 30% synthetic oil designed to have many of the benefits of synthetic oil without matching the cost of pure synthetic oil. Motul introduced the first semi-synthetic motor oil in 1966.

Lubricants that have synthetic base stocks even lower than 30% but with high-performance additive packs consisting of esters can also be considered synthetic lubricants.

@OP your car calls for a conventional 5w30. You can use that, a semi-synthetic, or a full synthetic. Its your money. Go to konga. 5w30 is available in Castrol & MileMaster.

Now this thread is getting interesting, Anneki speak on! grin
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 05, 2014
Yes the Honda stealerships knows something.

They know consumers want cheap parts so the blends are the way to maximise their profits.

The stealerships also sell Chinese made knick knacks too.

The astute buyer will go on eBay and load up on factory oil filters and then head on over to WalFart for a superior selection of motor oil.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by bravolad(m): 8:05am On Oct 05, 2014
The argument about synthetic and conventional oil rages on, no end in sight yet. This discussion blossoms in most car blogs till date. While Toyota did not specifically advise owners to use synthetic oil for the 2005 Camry, they did state the oil weight (5W-30) to be used. This particular oil weight has the synthetic, semi-synthetic and conventional blends. I strongly believe that the choice of which to use is strictly personal based on financial strength. Using any of the variants would still achieve the same effect on the engine but the synthetic gives you the benefit of an extended OCI while still retaining its protective additives.

In Nigeria, just recently especially in Lagos, oil seller have started to import the conventional blend of 5W-30 and similar oil weights and ratings. You could spend the next 3 weeks searching for this conventional oil (5W-30) in with no success. By implication, it's cheaper than the synthetic and semi-synthetic blends. But the synthetic blend has become readily available almost everywhere in Nigeria, just the same way mobile 1 (0W-40) is readily available. The reason some car owners in this part of the world seem to favour mobile 1 0W-40 is because of its availability and the fact that it presents as a close substitute for the recommended weight provided it fulfills the SAE rating. This practice is not peculiar to Nigeria, it still obtains even in the United States.

As I said earlier, until recently, precisely 3 -4 years ago, synthetic blend of 5W-30 was an exclusive preserve of the rich who import their cars along side this particular engine oil rating. Back then, it was difficult for the most informed car owner who required this oil weight to service their cars. Consequently, some resort to 5W-30 as a close substitute. At least, I know some dudes who have refused to change to the required rating even after they became available. Still a lot more car owners feel there's no harm in using 20W-50 mostly mobile XHP as advised by road side mechanics. But this thinking, (perhaps, a cost saving measure) is not peculiar to those category of mechanics even the most established car dealers such as Elizade use 20W-50 drum oil to service cars. I surprisingly realized this in 2009 and ran away from them.

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 4:37pm On Oct 05, 2014
Additionally on the Honda stealerships knows best.

Honda also sells full synthetic oils. It seems that as human beings our eyes sees that which is what we want to see.

"Honda Genuine full synthetic motor oil. As an all-season oil, it provides optimum engine protection all year round. Genuine Honda Motor Oil surpasses Honda vehicle requirements to further minimize harmful engine deposits and to maximize fuel economy. Recommended replacement every 5 months/5,000 miles.
A premium full synthetic engine oil specifically developed for Honda vehicles.
Formulated with superior synthetic base stocks that provide enhanced performance benefits compared with conventional motor oils.
Outstanding resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown - providing optimum engine protection under severe driving conditions.
Honda Genuine Ultimate Full-Synthetic motor oil is tested and approved by Honda R&grin."

Source: http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-Motor-Oil-Synthetic__08798-9XXX.aspx

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by 9icetoo(m): 7:04pm On Oct 05, 2014
Bossmd:

Bros abeg where you see Mobil 1 for 8k? Make I buy 10 gallons grin
Lol. That was last year at a Mobil service station in Lagos. I now use Total quartz 9000 which is 5 litres and costs N8500.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by xerotop(m): 6:13pm On Oct 09, 2014
Jst serviced my ford f150 with Castrol 5w20 full synthetic oil. I intend rocking it for the next 5000miles. Each 1L bottle cost 2100 naira. Immediately after the service i noticed tremendious increase in acceleration and improved mpg as i did over 100 miles. I actually also changed my fuel filter with Motorcraft filter and motorcraft oil filter.
I strongly think going by manufacturers oil weight specification is the only way to go.

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 6:30pm On Oct 09, 2014
xerotop:
Jst serviced my ford f150 with Castrol 5w20 full synthetic oil. I intend rocking it for the next 5000miles. Each 1L bottle cost 2100 naira. Immediately after the service i noticed tremendious increase in acceleration and improved mpg as i did over 100 miles. I actually also changed my fuel filter with Motorcraft filter and motorcraft oil filter.
I strongly think going by manufacturers oil weight specification is the only way to go.

Absolutely.

The only reason to deviate is if you've:

1) Made changes to the internals of the engine or

2) If you've sent your oil to a testing lab and they recommend otherwise.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by xerotop(m): 6:58pm On Oct 09, 2014
CityNG:

Absolutely.
The only reason to deviate is if you've:
1) Made changes to the internals of the engine or
2) If you've sent your oil to a testing lab and they recommend otherwise.

You are very correct sir. As for my engine, no internal changes of any sort.

When i entered the workshop with cartons of oils and the filters,
People where jst looking at me like!
And am sure in their mind they will be wondering
1, is dis guy from space?
2. He even brougth original ford filters
3. Y do people like wasting money?
4. Am sure he ordered for ordinary oil from abroad o. Lolz
5. All dis smal smal boyz sef.

They all now came of their shell to ask.
Where did u get dis oil from?
How much did u buy them.
Wow the oil is so light. Doesnt seem lik oil at all
Can u help get when i need?

I was jst so speechless.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by adanny01(m): 6:03pm On Oct 10, 2014
One thing my honda car manual says is that to use 5w20 but 0w20 us also acceptable. Another thing it says is change interval of 10,000miles or 1year on the condition that i use Genuine Honda oil.

Now, i know that Genuine Honda oil is synthetic. If i have another brand of trusted quality, i will use as per their instructions.

In Nigeria, the conventional oil is 20w50 and recommended by 99% of Nigerian mechanics. I am aware that that oil is not recommended for my car, so i sought out to get an affordable option since Genuine honda oil at N2,500 per 1litre bottle x5 is expensive and difficult to find.

My car taking 4.2l with filter at service means i have to buy 5 litres. My options were:

Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic 4litre @8000 + 1litre @2200 making N10,200
Total quartz 9000 5w40 synthetic 5litre @ N8,000
Castrol edge 5w40 5litre @ N9,000
Milemaster 5w20 synthetic blend 5litre @ N6,500 now N6,000

From the list it was very obvious that milemaster was it. I bought 2 thats 10litres and have been toping since my engine shorts oil every 1000miles. I was worried of the quality of the oil but i stopped being scared after the engine performance became better as a result of the change. I have recently clocked 6000miles but will change soon at 6500miles my target. The oil doesnt look like it needs change and even tempted to go more since i have been topping.

My take is to use the manufacturer recommended oil weight or something close to it that is affordable. Thats all.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by inze(m): 7:08pm On Oct 10, 2014
adanny01:
One thing my honda car manual says is that to use 5w20 but 0w20 us also acceptable. Another thing it says is change interval of 10,000miles or 1year on the condition that i use Genuine Honda oil.

Now, i know that Genuine Honda oil is synthetic. If i have another brand of trusted quality, i will use as per their instructions.

In Nigeria, the conventional oil is 20w50 and recommended by 99% of Nigerian mechanics. I am aware that that oil is not recommended for my car, so i sought out to get an affordable option since Genuine honda oil at N2,500 per 1litre bottle x5 is expensive and difficult to find.

My car taking 4.2l with filter at service means i have to buy 5 litres. My options were:

Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic 4litre @8000 + 1litre @2200 making N10,200
Total quartz 9000 5w40 synthetic 5litre @ N8,000
Castrol edge 5w40 5litre @ N9,000
Milemaster 5w20 synthetic blend 5litre @ N6,500 now N6,000

From the list it was very obvious that milemaster was it. I bought 2 thats 10litres and have been toping since my engine shorts oil every 1000miles. I was worried of the quality of the oil but i stopped being scared after the engine performance became better as a result of the change. I have recently clocked 6000miles but will change soon at 6500miles my target. The oil doesnt look like it needs change and even tempted to go more since i have been topping.

My take is to use the manufacturer recommended oil weight or something close to it that is affordable. Thats all.

In this scenario, the question that needs be answered is "why the need for topping" ??
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by pragmatistm(m): 7:31pm On Oct 10, 2014
Bossmd:

But car manuals hardly specify Dino or Synthetic, they specify weights.
I think you don't have any difficulty in choosing your oil. Find out from your manual (or online) what weight of oil is specified for your car. Then buy that whether mineral (dino), synthetic or semisynthetic (called blends). Don't mind our Nairaland gurus.They sometimes love unnecessary argunents. Buy the right weight and Im sure it will save you money. Remember, synthetic or semisynthetic oils are changed according to their mileage specifications and not at three months that the roadside mechanics will tell you.

My car is a Nissan of year 2000 and I use 10W40 semisynthetic oil with no hassles since I can't get ordinary oil if that weight. I will change according to the miles specified.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 8:48pm On Oct 10, 2014
Pls where can I get total 9000 or milemaster 5w 30 in benin city
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by adanny01(m): 10:57pm On Oct 10, 2014
inze:

In this scenario, the question that needs be answered is "why the need for topping" ??

The answer is there already, most 2003-10 accords short engine oil for no just cause.

I had tried to find a solution but nothing seem to be wrong with the car but oil shorts in very small amounts with no effects whatsoever. Every lead was rule out. My mechanic admits to have recieved complains about it, i also saw on a honda forum so many complains about it.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by adanny01(m): 10:59pm On Oct 10, 2014
oluseyioba:
Pls where can I get total 9000 or milemaster 5w 30 in benin city

Its 6k on konga plus shipping of probably not more than 1k.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 11, 2014
I did oh,since sept. 22 dem no gree deliver...I tink dats cos I don't live in benin tho
adanny01:

Its 6k on konga plus shipping of probably not more than 1k.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by anneki(m): 10:09am On Oct 12, 2014
@ oluseyioba

Contact Solutions Plus. They import milemaster. They can send it to you by overnight bus. Their numbers are on their website.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 12, 2014
pragmatistm:
I think you don't have any difficulty in choosing your oil. Find out from your manual (or online) what weight of oil is specified for your car. Then buy that whether mineral (dino), synthetic or semisynthetic (called blends). Don't mind our Nairaland gurus.They sometimes love unnecessary argunents. Buy the right weight and Im sure it will save you money. Remember, synthetic or semisynthetic oils are changed according to their mileage specifications and not at three months that the roadside mechanics will tell you.

My car is a Nissan of year 2000 and I use 10W40 semisynthetic oil with no hassles since I can't get ordinary oil if that weight. I will change according to the miles specified.

No oil will give anyone hassles as long as it's the right weight.

The only reason you are using blended oil, according to you, is die tot eh fact that you're unable to find the correct weight in dino oil. Not because your car calls for a blend.

You guys are just pouring money down the drain, I wonder if you guys track your total cost of ownerships.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 12, 2014
Tanx bro,will do
anneki:
@ oluseyioba

Contact Solutions Plus. They import milemaster. They can send it to you by overnight bus. Their numbers are on their website.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Kashif(m): 12:51pm On Oct 12, 2014
I spent good part of yesterday looking for dino 5w 30 for my car in major fuel stations without luck. All the weights were between 40 and 70. It was frustrating, with the sellers telling me it does not matter! I was willing to get synt as long as the weight is correct. When I had almost given up, I found Fastron gold full synt 5w 30. You can imagine my relief!! If you find your recommended weight in dino, use it, unless your manufacturer specified synt. Not my opinion, but fact. Also look at the API spec.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by adanny01(m): 2:23pm On Oct 12, 2014
Kashif:
I spent good part of yesterday looking for dino 5w 30 for my car in major fuel stations without luck. All the weights were between 40 and 70. It was frustrating, with the sellers telling me it does not matter! I was willing to get synt as long as the weight is correct. When I had almost given up, I found Fastron gold full synt 5w 30. You can imagine my relief!! If you find your recommended weight in dino, use it, unless your manufacturer specified synt. Not my opinion, but fact. Also look at the API spec.

How much was it and where did you get it.

Cost matters alot in the choice of oil.
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Kashif(m): 8:19am On Oct 13, 2014
adanny01:

How much was it and where did you get it.
Cost matters alot in the choice of oil.

5.5k. It is a 5litre container. Somewhere in Aguda Surulere.....
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 13, 2014
bravolad:
The argument about synthetic and conventional oil rages on, no end in sight yet. This discussion blossoms in most car blogs till date. While Toyota did not specifically advise owners to use synthetic oil for the 2005 Camry, they did state the oil weight (5W-30) to be used. This particular oil weight has the synthetic, semi-synthetic and conventional blends. I strongly believe that the choice of which to use is strictly personal based on financial strength. Using any of the variants would still achieve the same effect on the engine but the synthetic gives you the benefit of an extended OCI while still retaining its protective additives.

In Nigeria, just recently especially in Lagos, oil seller have started to import the conventional blend of 5W-30 and similar oil weights and ratings. You could spend the next 3 weeks searching for this conventional oil (5W-30) in with no success. By implication, it's cheaper than the synthetic and semi-synthetic blends. But the synthetic blend has become readily available almost everywhere in Nigeria, just the same way mobile 1 (0W-40) is readily available. The reason some car owners in this part of the world seem to favour mobile 1 0W-40 is because of its availability and the fact that it presents as a close substitute for the recommended weight provided it fulfills the SAE rating. This practice is not peculiar to Nigeria, it still obtains even in the United States.

As I said earlier, until recently, precisely 3 -4 years ago, synthetic blend of 5W-30 was an exclusive preserve of the rich who import their cars along side this particular engine oil rating. Back then, it was difficult for the most informed car owner who required this oil weight to service their cars. Consequently, some resort to 5W-30 as a close substitute. At least, I know some dudes who have refused to change to the required rating even after they became available. Still a lot more car owners feel there's no harm in using 20W-50 mostly mobile XHP as advised by road side mechanics. But this thinking, (perhaps, a cost saving measure) is not peculiar to those category of mechanics even the most established car dealers such as Elizade use 20W-50 drum oil to service cars. I surprisingly realized this in 2009 and ran away from them.

thanks. you spoke my mind word for word.....

1 Like

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by Denn(m): 3:48am On Oct 21, 2014
xerotop:

Hello

Please where did you get the motorcraft parts?
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by shamecurls(m): 6:25am On Oct 21, 2014
9icetoo:

Lol. That was last year at a Mobil service station in Lagos. I now use Total quartz 9000 which is 5 litres and costs N8500.

I bought for 8k at mobil filling station agindingbin ikeja ss of march 2014
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by anneki(m): 1:50pm On Oct 21, 2014
Motorcraft oil filters are sold online on konga. They are bundled with MileMaster Oils.

Denn:

Hello

Please where did you get the motorcraft parts?
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by USPlaceofAutos: 3:13pm On Jun 08, 2016
Well...there's a new full synthetic oil in Nigeria....Ever heard of DuraMax Full Synthetic Lubricants OW20,5W30,5W30 and also Global Full Synthetic ATF.....Great Oil,,,,Great Price...Lasts for 6-9 months...CALL 09035870964 or visit www.usplaceofautos.com for more info
email:info@usplaceofautos.com

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by USPlaceofAutos: 3:21pm On Jun 08, 2016
Global Full ATF

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:51pm On Jun 08, 2016
doroboss:

Oils should be changed based on mileage intervals not number of days or months used read ur manual. Mobil1 has 3 different weights 0w40,5w20,5w30 the more poular type found in all their stations in nigeria is 0w40 and I'm guessing 5w30 is the recommended oil for your vehicle.

you right and wrong

yes oil change is based on mileage intervals AND also months WHY

here in the west we have old people who still drive and per week they do eg two journey eg wednesday week shopping and sunday going to church so on average they might do 5000 miles and based on mileage the user manual would say change a 7000 miles, in this case mileage doesnt work on people like them hence comes months

so both mileage and months still applies but based on driving patterns
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by USPlaceofAutos: 12:38pm On Jun 10, 2016
We should also know the type of oil recommended for your car by the manufacturer AND the type of oil good for the environment and ur pocket....Easy way to knw ur car oil type...Pop the hood and follow this picture

Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by USPlaceofAutos: 11:18am On Nov 01, 2016
Buy 6 quarts of DuraMAX EngineOil and get a free OilFilter only at USPlaceofAutos. Offer last while stock last

Contact Information:
US Place of Autos
10, Veteran Plaza,
433 Herbert Macaulay way,
St Agnes,
Yaba, Lagos
Telephone: 09035870964
E-mail: info@usplaceofautos.com
Twitter handle: @usplaceofautos
Re: Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils by pragmatistm(m): 2:58am On Nov 21, 2016
If you use semisynthetic or fully synthetic oil and your mileage is less than 5000 miles in a year, is it necessary to change the oil filter in the car engine? If so, how many changes in a year is necessary?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Advice: What Car Should I Buy For Mom ? / Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True / Honda Cars Front Wheel Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.