Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 (2484 Views)

I Will Convert PSD To HTML5,CSS3 With Responsive In 72 Hours / Sage OS (HTML5) : The Development (with download link) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 1:36pm On Oct 04, 2014
Ok. without any ado at all, here are my reasons:

1. Doctype Declaration: This actually top my list because it's the first thing a Web application developer would write even if he's creating another Facebook, Google or Nl. <!Doctype html> cool. That's it! Simple, portable, unique, dynamic and precise. The long, lengthy and boring html4 doctype declaration is no longer needed. tongue

2. Web Storage: Imagine writing a story that touches the heart embarassed or writing a poem for your e-crush, because that is what's trending in romance section and all of a sudden your phone alerts you that your battery is below 5% and before you could say Jack, your phone don die! Chaii!! embarassed embarassed

But with the help of html5 web storage, your data will be saved indefinitely on your browser till the next time you wish to go online and complete your stoty and when I say indefinitely I mean forever! angry.

3.Geolocation: This is also a very important effizy that I think should be added to NL.
Assuming I want to do business with a fellow Nlander in business, phone, carrier or computer section all I've got to do is to track his device with GPS and we'll get our business done. *clears throat* dazzal. wink

4.Application Cache: Now that's what Karleb's taking about cool. You see? With this I can view the whole of NL without MTN(I mean without any data/mb).

Now let's assume Nl added this great function to her home page alone and we all know Nigerians like news like kilode, if you doubt me then I'm happy to tell you that that boring Network news is one of the most viewed programs in Nigeria. That's a fact! angry

As I was saying joor, ... and I informed my friends about it and they too informed their friends and the whole thing became a trending topic which is equal to more traffic for Nl which is equal more money and fame for Nl and Seun Osewa. wink

5.Change: As we all know the only thing that keep changing constantly is change itself, so I personally think html4 is old and it's time to move on.

...with my well articulated points cool I think I'm able to convince you beyond any reasonable doubt why NL should upgrade to html5,

Thanks. smiley wink

21 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by NaijaChild: 2:58pm On Oct 04, 2014
Am nt a computer guru and do not know anything about programming but from the way you have described it..I think NL should upgrade to this htmL5

2 Likes

Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Nobody: 3:11pm On Oct 04, 2014
We'll look into it

thanks
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 3:12pm On Oct 04, 2014
NaijaChild:
Am nt a computer guru and do not know anything about programming but from the way you have described it..I think NL should upgrade to this htmL5

cool cool
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 3:22pm On Oct 04, 2014
Yungwizzzy:
We'll look into it

thanks

Better! angry
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 04, 2014
Good idea.... Besides, I think a comment box is needed
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

1. Doctype Declaration: This actually top my list because it's the first thing a Web application developer would write even if he's creating another Facebook, Google or Nl. <Doctype html> cool. That's it! Simple, portable, unique, dynamic and precise. The long, lengthy and boring html4 doctype declaration is no longer needed. tongue

2. Web Storage: Imagine writing a story that touches the heart embarassed or writing a poem for your e-crush, because that is what's trending in romance section and all of a sudden your phone alerts you that your battery is below 5% and before you could say Jack, your phone don die! Chaii!! embarassed embarassed

But with the help of html5 web storage, your data will be saved indefinitely on your browser till the next time you wish to go online and complete your stoty and when I say indefinitely I mean forever! angry.

3.Geolocation: This is also a very important effizy that I think should be added to NL.
Assuming I want to do business with a fellow Nlander in business, phone, carrier or computer section all I've got to do is to track his device with GPS and we'll get our business done. *clears throat* dazzal. wink

4.Application Cache: Now that's what Karleb's taking about cool. You see? With this I can view the whole of NL without MTN(I mean without any data/mb).

Now let's assume Nl added this great function to her home page alone and we all know Nigerians like news like kilode, if you doubt me then I'm happy to tell you that that boring Network news is one of the most viewed programs in Nigeria. That's a fact! angry

As I was saying joor, ... and I informed my friends about it and they too informed their friends and the whole thing became a trending topic which is equal to more traffic for Nl which is equal more money and fame for Nl and Seun Osewa. wink

5.Change: As we all know the only thing that keep changing constantly is change itself, so I personally think html4 is old and it's time to move on.

...with my well articulated points cool I think I'm able to convince you beyond any reasonable doubt why NL should upgrade to html5,

Thanks. smiley wink
Seconded
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by henryobinna(m): 3:44pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

1. Doctype Declaration: This actually top my list because it's the first thing a Web application developer would write even if he's creating another Facebook, Google or Nl. <Doctype html> cool. That's it! Simple, portable, unique, dynamic and precise. The long, lengthy and boring html4 doctype declaration is no longer needed. tongue

Thanks. smiley wink
I agree with many/somr of your reasons but the first.
how the fu.cck does the doctype declaration concern you? are you the one writing the codes? undecided
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by siegfried99(m): 3:45pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

Thanks. smiley wink

Nice points
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 4:03pm On Oct 04, 2014
henryobinna:
I agree with many/somr of your reasons but the first.
how the fu.cck does the doctype declaration concern you? are you the one writing the codes? undecided

cheesy easy man!

I personally do not like that doctype declaration, that aside it's long and you make on mistake like this, it won't work unlike the portable html5 doctype. cool tongue
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by henryobinna(m): 4:54pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

cheesy easy man!

I personally do not like that doctype declaration, that aside it's long and you make on mistake like this, it won't work unlike the portable html5 doctype. cool tongue

I know I know I know again.

I know its long and can be easily forgotten,
but tell me, how does that concern the viewer/visitor of the forum? does he know what happened? a resounding NO!
so that number one should be blotted out

1 Like

Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by spanzed(m): 5:12pm On Oct 04, 2014
OP Nice points *stands up and clap for him*...just hope oga seun yield to dis outstanding points
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by holatoj(m): 5:16pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

1. Doctype Declaration:

2. Web Storage:
3.Geolocation:
4.Application Cache:
5.Change:

Thanks. smiley wink

Can't really wait for Nl to change to html 5 cool, but wen z it going to take place
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 5:19pm On Oct 04, 2014
holatoj:

Can't really wait for Nl to change to html 5 cool, but wen z it going to take place

It all depends on NL CEO.
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 5:28pm On Oct 04, 2014
henryobinna:
I know I know I know again.

I know its long and can be easily forgotten,
but tell me, how does that concern the viewer/visitor of the forum? does he know what happened? a resounding NO!
so that number one should be blotted out

Although I don't really know much about html4 doctype but the last time I checked there are two html4 doctypes and neither of the two work with all tags.

In other words, if you wish to become a 'stand up' programmer you've got to cram the two long doctypes. undecided

Why cram two easily forgettable doctypes when you can know one unique universal doctype? wink
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by henryobinna(m): 6:51pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

Although I don't really know much about html4 doctype but the last time I checked there are two html4 doctypes and neither of the two work with all tags.

In other words, if you wish to become a 'stand up' programmer you've got to cram the two long doctypes. undecided

Why cram two easily forgettable doctypes when you can know one unique universal doctype? wink
now you're going another way, me talking from the viewer's point, switching from html4 to html5 cos of the doctype declaration(of which I know nothing aout) is pointless and meaningless to me as a viewer/visitor. that's my point.

cos it doesn't concern the visitor if the developer forgot the whole code or not, all a visitor wants is a functional site. period! not helping the developer
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Rexphobia(m): 6:56pm On Oct 04, 2014
I don't understand.
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:19pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

Thanks. smiley wink
Nice idea brov .... But will Oga Seun look into this
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 7:24pm On Oct 04, 2014
JayKayMaybachz:
Nice idea brov .... But will Oga Seun look into this

let's just hope he'll look into it.

But one thing I know for sure is that whether sooner or later NL will/must uprage! angry
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 7:30pm On Oct 04, 2014
Rexphobia:
I don't understand.

This might help. wink

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_intro.asp
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:31pm On Oct 04, 2014
Yeah ... we need an app, just like facebook.. with notification for mentions, followed topics, followed boards, shares, likes etc and then unlike button as well
Karleb:

let's just hope he'll look into it.

But one thing I know for sure is that whether sooner or later NL will/must uprage! angry
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 7:37pm On Oct 04, 2014
JayKayMaybachz:
Yeah ... we need an app, just like facebook.. with notification for mentions, followed topics, followed boards, shares, likes etc and then unlike button as well

I thought we have one app like that, the download link is at the bottom of every page on NL although it's only available on android platform for now, so if you don't have a droid just forgerrit.

Although I haven't checked the app out sha.
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 7:45pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

I thought we have one app like that, the download link is at the bottom of every page on NL although it's only available on android platform for now, so if you don't have a droid just forgerrit.

Although I haven't checked the app out sha.
The app a'int got what i just mentioned now, it only got notification for fp articles... thats all
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 7:52pm On Oct 04, 2014
JayKayMaybachz:
The app a'int got what i just mentioned now, it only got notification for fp articles... thats all

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Thank God I haven't downloaded it.

Anyway, I think Oga Seun is doing something about it. cool
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by JayKayMaybachz(m): 8:01pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Thank God I haven't downloaded it.

Anyway, I think Oga Seun is doing something about it. cool
sad sadMe Too
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 8:18pm On Oct 04, 2014
henryobinna:
now you're going another way, me talking from the viewer's point, switching from html4 to html5 cos of the doctype declaration(of which I know nothing aout) is pointless and meaningless to me as a viewer/visitor. that's my point.

cos it doesn't concern the visitor if the developer forgot the whole code or not, all a visitor wants is a functional site. period! not helping the developer

it actually affect the user directly or indirectly.

Like I said earlier neither of the two abi na three html4 doctypes works with all tag, which means if you are gonna change one little thing and the current doctype doesn't work with the new tag you want to add, you have to pick another doctype that suits the new tag and that does not guarantee the new doctype will work with all the current doctype tags. Which means you're gonna do some copy, paste, editing and deleting here and there which actually affects the users/visitors.

Even though html5 doctype does not support all these old tags alone;

<acronym>
<applet>
<basefont>
<big>
<center>
<dir>
<font>
<frame>
<frameset>
<noframes>
<strike>
<tt>

that's according to http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_intro.asp

but atleast you'll know it worths it, because you are upgrading and not static. wink
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by henryobinna(m): 8:25pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

it actually affect the user directly or indirectly.

Like I said earlier neither of the two abi na three html4 doctypes works with all tag, which means if you are gonna change one little thing and the current doctype doesn't work with the new tag you want to add, you have to pick another doctype that suits the new tag and that does not guarantee the new doctype will work with all the current doctype tags. Which means you're gonna do some copy, paste, editing and deleting here and there which actually affects the users/visitors.

Even though html5 doctype does not support all these old tags alone;

<acronym>
<applet>
<basefont>
<big>
<center>
<dir>
<font>
<frame>
<frameset>
<noframes>
<strike>
<tt>

that's according to http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_intro.asp

but atleast you'll know it worths it, because you are upgrading and not static. wink
bro lets forget this argument but still I doubt you get my drift
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 8:33pm On Oct 04, 2014
henryobinna:
bro lets forget this argument but still I doubt you get my drift

yea I thought I lost it. embarassed

but here is the summary, without html5 doctype all those code fragments I listed can't work.
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by henryobinna(m): 10:03pm On Oct 04, 2014
Karleb:

yea I thought I lost it. embarassed

but here is the summary, without html5 doctype all those code fragments I listed can't work.
let me ask you a question, how does how the developer designed his forum concern a business guy who comes online on nairaland to socialise? undecided
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by zeroshadow: 10:09pm On Oct 04, 2014
This thread will soon be closed.
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 10:16pm On Oct 04, 2014
henryobinna:
let me ask you a question, how does how the developer designed his forum concern a business guy who comes online on nairaland to socialise? undecided

because the guy you call social is concered, btw if you read the topic clearly you would realise that this is just my opinion and my opinion alone. I'm not saying nl should upgrade by fire by thunder.

Gerrit? undecided
Re: Why I Think NL Should Upgrade To HTML5 by Karleb(m): 10:17pm On Oct 04, 2014
zeroshadow:
This thread will soon be closed.

na you wan close am? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Someone To Teach Me Hacking / Import Gmail Contacts To Icloud / Esp 8266 Wifi Module Arduino Hack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.