Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,411 members, 7,836,653 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control (3054 Views)

Tips To Reduce Your Mobile Data Usage / 4 Ways To Reduce Your Mobile Internet Data Usage With Android Apps / Learn How To Stop Your Android Phone From Consuming Your Airtime/data (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by OBILOLIGHT(m): 2:43pm On Oct 04, 2014
Maximising your Android device. Part 1- Airtime/Data Usage Control

Have you ever had that feeling of regretting why you bought an android device? Times when your like : Oh the battery drains quickly! Oh the phone's too slow or hangs! Oh it's using up my airtime/ data @ d rate of #500 or 50mb per minute!
All that would be past tense soon. Im about to give u ur pride back and make you realize what you bought aint no toy but a maximizable mobile hi-tech transformer in disguise. So let's take em one by one.

PART 1 : AIRTIME / DATA USAGE CONTROL
People get too scared of the android data consumption rate. But Hey! Your d one using ur cash up. So what we need is info n control.
LECTURES
There are 2 ways a mobile phone uses data/airtime.
1 Foreground data usage .
2 Background data usage
Foreground data is simple, U open your opera browser and your phone connects n charges u for ur browsing. As you close d opera, d connection stops(if ur not downloading). Simply put FOREGROUND DATA IS DATA AN APP CONSUMES WHILE YOUR ACTIVELY USING IT.
Background data is a tricky ghost rider or a night crawler or u can term it whatever it deserves. Your on ur homepage & ur finger touches the data on button and immediately Whatsapp retrieves 56 msgs, BBM 85 msgs, FB 38 msgs, 2go 99 msgs.(Stats for girls). For guys Whatsapp 10, BBM 6, FB 1, 2go 15 msgs.
Ok your happy your droid is doing the pizza delivery job for you. But it's taking its pay immediately and as the size & quality of d data delivered is, "na so your money go dey commot sharp sharp"
FACTS TO NOTE
1- You cant browse or chat with mobile data off(Obviously).
2- Once your mobile data is put on, each app tries to connect to the internet (background data) to do their hidden business.
3- Most of these apps use up large amount of data without your knowledge. Few use little data (Stock/Follow come apps).
4- You really dont want 90% of these apps connecting behind you to do so.
5- Most apps u dont need connecting take up most data/airtime.
6- You can see the data usage of each app @ SETTINGS-DATA USAGE-(Scroll down).

PRACTICALS
There are 3 ways of controlling data

1.-BY DISABLING MOBILE DATA
Goto Settings-Data Usage-Mobile data.
This is d most popular method iv seen. Turn on d data, Do ur stuff, Turn data off.(Then check your balance and wail).
Disadvantages are obvious. Chats wouldn't be as fluent as u want. Within 10 secs of data on ur android wound drink as much data/airtime as it wants.

2.- BY RESTRICTING ALL BACKGROUND DATA
This mode stops all hidden data connection. So whatever app is active on ur screen has "data connecting rights".
This option would be most likely on androidversion4.
Goto Settings-Data usage-Menu/option button-Restrict Background data- ok
(u should see a red caution sign top of ur screen saying "Background data restricted"wink.
This is good for browsing but not chatting. So now your android connects in a "pay as u click" mode.
Now u can turn on ur mobile data without fear but no retrieval of msgs from BBM, WHATSAPP, FB etc till u open each app respectively.
Each app u open now retrieves all its msgs & refreshes itself. If u exit d app or just jump out. It stops connecting.
So assuming you want to open google to search sth. No fear of having BBM 50 MSGS, WHATSAPP 35MSGS once ur data is turned on. Just open ur browser, google ur stuff & come out like a boss(no hidden charges). When ur ready for BBM open d app retrieve msgs, reply do other stuff n bounce out like a boss. (Someone us smiling, I C U).

3.- RESTRICTING INDUVIDUAL APPS BACKGROUND DATA
This is d best method of data control though it takes some effort to put in place.
Simply put instead of restricting all background apps you can restrict only the apps u dont want connecting automatically( weather, google play, etc) and allow d once u use (opera, uc, bbm, whatsapp etc).

Androidv4 goto
Settings-Data usage-scroll down
You should see a graph and all list of apps each with a data bar n size of consumed data.
For each app you don't want connecting to net behind u. Click d app you'll see another graph and a pie chart showing the apps consumed foreground and background data. Near d chart is a checkbox showing RESTRICT BACKGROUND DATA. Click dat box.
Note: You must first remove restriction on all apps before doing individual restrictions.
Repeat d procedure for other apps you don't want eating ur data from behind. Then congratulations. Your free from data prison in Android state.
So after individual restriction. Even when your mobile data is on,automatic connection is only for those apps u didn't restrict eg Whatsapp, Opera, BBM, Nairaland etc. Now u can use 10 mb comfortably each day unless ur a phone freak.

Final tips. U may need to download a data monitoring app. Because u may need to know apps dat use up data subscription or per day and d amount they use up. Eg of such are Net Qin Mobile Security, data monitor.
Also for d UmuABA remember to reduce ur browsers picture quality. And for d Mbaise guy's, you can off d pictures completely to save consumed data.
Finally note dat Foreground data can't be blocked, so even if you've restricted d background data of an app/game. If u play such games with ur data on, d app is at liberty to milk you so long as ur actively playing it.

Tested and trusted. For all those who wouldn't want to stress emselfs with the default settings for data control.Get droidwall.apk(less RAM) or avastmobilesecurity.apk (more RAM) for rooted droidsGet Mobiwol.apk or Operamax.apk for non_rooted phonesIf ur having problems with these apps disable d checkbox @ Settings_Data Usage_Set mobile data limit Enjoy.

My next post will be on increasing speed n reducing hanging and also on making ur android battery last like a Nokia torch's. For now Any questions will be attended to. No be small thing......

1 Share

Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by omicron(m): 3:51pm On Oct 04, 2014
Useful post. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Mafia4life(m): 4:05pm On Oct 04, 2014
Bros you didn't help that much... The most effective way to control your data consumption is not mentioned. I still don't believe that people really don't know how to take care of this issue....

@ all...
Root your damn phone and install droidwall in the internal memory... Activate it and select apps that you only want to give Internet access..

If my sister that WhatsApp alot can make use of her 5mb for 4 days ( WhatsApp and opera selected only), isn't that enough?
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by OBILOLIGHT(m): 4:35pm On Oct 04, 2014
omicron:
Useful post. Thanks
Your very welcome.
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by OBILOLIGHT(m): 4:43pm On Oct 04, 2014
Mafia4life:
Bros you didn't help that much... The most effective way to control your data consumption is not mentioned. I still don't believe that people really don't know how to take care of this issue....

@ all...
Root your damn phone and install droidwall in the internal memory... Activate it and select apps that you only want to give Internet access..

If my sister that WhatsApp alot can make use of her 5mb for 4 days ( WhatsApp and opera selected only), isn't that enough?

I've got to agree with you that there are many apps for dat. But my methods are d default ways of managing data usage. Besides droidwall is an app dat runs 24hrs in d background trying to block apps. This no doubt consumes RAM and contributes to draining d battery(which are part of what android users r trying to control).... and like u know many droids are not rooted. And no app can block internet access without root permission. So why drain ur RAM n battery with Root droidwall when u can follow d androids default settings and achieve same thing, root or no-root.
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 04, 2014
Mafia4life:

@ all...

I doubt if whatsapp and opera can use 5mb for 4days because I followed all that u typed

1 Like

Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Omachona: 8:41pm On Oct 04, 2014
[color=#770077][ The method used by me is simple
I keep background data on but restrick applications like youtube and google play services
Then I download NO ROOT FIREWALL it works nice if,then restricts applications from there if my data is on I have no problem.
The screebshot of my data usage would shock you]

1 Like

Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Skykid1208(m): 8:58pm On Oct 04, 2014
OBILOLIGHT:

I've got to agree with you that there are many apps for dat. But my methods are d default ways of managing data usage. Besides droidwall is an app dat runs 24hrs in d background trying to block apps. This no doubt consumes RAM and contributes to draining d battery(which are part of what android users r trying to control).... and like u know many droids are not rooted. And no app can block internet access without root permission. So why drain ur RAM n battery with Root droidwall when u can follow d androids default settings and achieve same thing, root or no-root.

For those using android 4.0+ you can Use Mobiwall without rooting that was what i was using before i rooted my phone, but now i use droid wall
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by LILGWANZ(m): 9:44pm On Oct 04, 2014
here is my data usage http://i.imgur.com/ATkSall.jpg[/ but operamax works well also without root

1 Like

Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 04, 2014
Following keenly
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by OBILOLIGHT(m): 6:16am On Oct 05, 2014
LILGWANZ:
here is my data usage http://i.imgur.com/ATkSall.jpg[/ but operamax works well also without root
cant see a thing bro
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by OBILOLIGHT(m): 7:40am On Oct 05, 2014
just ran a trial on droidwall and operamax. Droidwall didn't work, gave it root access, applied rules. yet d blocked apps were still connecting.

Operamax works fine n has a cool interface.. though it takes quite some RAM to run continuously. I'll recommend Operamax.... thanks LILGWANZ
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Mafia4life(m): 8:49am On Oct 05, 2014
OBILOLIGHT:

Droidwall works different. It is not like battery saver app. Do you know how IP table work in Android? It is file that host the complete list of COM PORT for every single process/threads ( app and services). By default, all COM is granted 1 ( which means each port has full freedom to communicate via the Internet). Where droidwall comes to play is this. It grant the figure 1 to apps you allow and grant 0 to apps you disallowed. App with 0 figure will see your phone as a phone with DATA OFF. Droidwall acts once in every boot up. Meaning it doesn't do underground runs after the first action. That is why it still doesn't allow connection after hibernated or uninstalled ( except after reboot)

Droidwall help to save battery life because it deny apps from synchronising. Its size is 311KB. If you can allow useless Du battery saver to run, why won't you allow droidwall to run? It requires very little ram ( that's if you want it to keep running).
Note! Droidwall is not perfect for kitkat users.

Get yourself droidwall and feel free to use your credit to WhatsApp. I used N57 for complete day without turning off data to WhatsApp ( but I didn't view any profile pic nor check my WhatsApp contact list)
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Mafia4life(m): 8:52am On Oct 05, 2014
asuustrike1:

I doubt if whatsapp and opera can use 5mb for 4days because I followed all that u typed
She nor dey browse like me jor. Is only WhatsApp she use most
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Lordseyad(m): 9:08am On Oct 05, 2014
team Opera Max

1 Like

Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by LILGWANZ(m): 12:37pm On Oct 05, 2014
OBILOLIGHT:
just ran a trial on droidwall and operamax. Droidwall didn't work, gave it root access, applied rules. yet d blocked apps were still connecting.

Operamax works fine n has a cool interface.. though it takes quite some RAM to run continuously. I'll recommend Operamax.... thanks LILGWANZ
no probs.yea the ram is just the issue the rest is perfect
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by LILGWANZ(m): 12:40pm On Oct 05, 2014
Mafia4life:
Droidwall works different. It is not like battery saver app. Do you know how IP table work in Android? It is file that host the complete list of COM PORT for every single process/threads ( app and services). By default, all COM is granted 1 ( which means each port has full freedom to communicate via the Internet). Where droidwall comes to play is this. It grant the figure 1 to apps you allow and grant 0 to apps you disallowed. App with 0 figure will see your phone as a phone with DATA OFF. Droidwall acts once in every boot up. Meaning it doesn't do underground runs after the first action. That is why it still doesn't allow connection after hibernated or uninstalled ( except after reboot)

Droidwall help to save battery life because it deny apps from synchronising. Its size is 311KB. If you can allow useless Du battery saver to run, why won't you allow droidwall to run? It requires very little ram ( that's if you want it to keep running).
Note! Droidwall is not perfect for kitkat users.

Get yourself droidwall and feel free to use your credit to WhatsApp. I used N57 for complete day without turning off data to WhatsApp ( but I didn't view any profile pic nor check my WhatsApp contact list)
the interface is dull and a little complicated for some pple.I know because I have used both
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by OBILOLIGHT(m): 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2014
@ mafialife obviously droidwall is complicated... and most people need simple apps dat wouldn't have hitches or require a manual. If u have a better app for data (not battery) control. name it.
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Mafia4life(m): 9:42pm On Oct 05, 2014
OBILOLIGHT:
@ mafialife obviously droidwall is complicated... and most people need simple apps dat wouldn't have hitches or require a manual. If u have a better app for data (not battery) control. name it.
The rules are simple.... On default it is set to "White list" aka Allow selected..
Just install it, press your menu key and tap Enable Firewall... Automatically, all apps will be denied Internet until you start selecting your apps. It is very easy to understand. It gives you complete list of your installed apps. Is just you that will do the selection
Note! You must apply rules before existing
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by OBILOLIGHT(m): 7:04am On Oct 06, 2014
didn't work bro...
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Darey00(m): 7:45am On Oct 06, 2014
Started using DX toolbox of recent and I can tell u its d best.. u can set a daily usage alarm(it tells u wen u av exceeded a daily limit) u can even set the total amount of data u wanna use within a specified period and it will monitor it for u.
I also freeze ANY app I don't want to connect to the internet(ROOT)..
and its also RAM and battery friendly. try it
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Mafia4life(m): 8:58am On Oct 06, 2014
OBILOLIGHT:
didn't work bro...
Eayaa, message me on WhatsApp below. I will put you through. You will testify
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by OBILOLIGHT(m): 9:26am On Oct 06, 2014
Darey00:
Started using DX toolbox of recent and I can tell u its d best.. u can set a daily usage alarm(it tells u wen u av exceeded a daily limit) u can even set the total amount of data u wanna use within a specified period and it will monitor it for u.
I also freeze ANY app I don't want to connect to the internet(ROOT)..
and its also RAM and battery friendly. try it
dat combo is really inviting. Apps like these are Wat we need. lemme give t a trial.
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Frankestein08(m): 10:10am On Oct 06, 2014
ok, make I tok my own...
apparently d apps dat consumes more mb are apps lyk google play store & most xpecially google play services(wich runs in background) & zaps more mb lyk a running stream. I simply uninstalled dem & ever since I did my phone runs faster & smoother ever dan b4, it also saved me more ram. then wen it koms to the case of watching data usage & freezing unwanted apps frm running, avg mobile antivirus is d best app among oda awesome features dat koms wit it dat monitors data usage exactly hw it's been used & d app using it all u've to do is set d total data size(250mb, 500mb, 1gb, 2gb...) u want monitored & d time frame(3days, 1week, a month, 1year...) u want it to b monitored, it also allows u to set a data usage warning sign wen u've used up to a certain percentage of ur total data. To freeze apps simply download titanium backup, u can do a lot of things with dis big guy especially if u own a sony xperial series phone (only for rooted phones tho)

1 Like

Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Mafia4life(m): 11:27am On Oct 06, 2014
You make use of titanium backup and ignore droidwall? Choiiiiiiii
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by OBILOLIGHT(m): 9:02pm On Oct 09, 2014
thanks Frankestein08 dats d first thing everyone should do.. wanted to discuss dat in ma next update. I'll recommend root app delete.apk for system apps n games.
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by Frankestein08(m): 6:24am On Oct 10, 2014
OBILOLIGHT:
thanks Frankestein08 dats d first thing everyone should do.. wanted to discuss dat in ma next update. I'll recommend root app delete.apk for system apps n games.

you welcome, thanks for the write up tho...learned a thing or two myself.

1 Like

Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by OBILOLIGHT(m): 5:58pm On Oct 14, 2014
Tested and trusted. For all those who wouldn't want to stress emselfs with the default settings for data control.
Get droidwall.apk(less RAM) or avastmobilesecurity.apk (more RAM) for rooted droids

Get Mobiwol.apk or Operamax.apk for non_rooted phones

If ur having problems with these apps disable d checkbox @ Settings_Data Usage_Set mobile data limit

Enjoy.
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by sniperwolf(m): 10:01pm On Oct 14, 2014
I use Opera Max and it's awesome with great UI
Re: Maximising Your Android Device. Part 1- Airtime/data Usage Control by charcoal(m): 12:14am On Oct 15, 2014
This stuff works and it saves ba3

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Current Cheapest Phone That Worked With Glo 4G LTE / Memory Card Wahala / Fallacy Or Myths: Charging New Phone Before Use.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.