Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,590 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:37 PM

VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) (22977 Views)

Dental Health Benefits.... / Your Oral & Dental Health. / Best Dental Clinic In Lagos, Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 4:24pm On Oct 22, 2014
Management of Bleeding Gums

Good dental hygiene is the first step to managing bleeding gums. Visit your dentist twice yearly for a professional cleaning. Your dentist will let you know if you have gingivitis and teach you how to brush your teeth properly. Proper brushing and flossing can eliminate plaque from your gum line, reducing your risk of developing Periodontal disease.
Your dentist may also instruct you to use an antiseptic mouthwash to minimize the plaque that forms in your mouth. A rinse of warm salt water can help soothe swollen gums that bleed easily.
Use a soft toothbrush that is gentle on inflamed gums, especially if you experience bleeding after brushing your teeth. Medium and hard bristles may be too hard on your delicate gums.
Schedule an appointment with your primary care provider to determine if dental health is not the underlying issue causing your bleeding gums. A complete physical examination and blood work can help to determine the cause of your bleeding. Treatment will vary according to your condition.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 4:26pm On Oct 22, 2014
I hope it's informative nd educative. In case, anyone has questions, please feel free to post them here nd I would try my best to answer them asap.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 6:24pm On Oct 26, 2014
Come in and ask your questions or seek advice.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Nobody: 12:53am On Oct 27, 2014
Please how can I handle swelling in my gum that also bleeds but not painful.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by coolestdude01(m): 1:07am On Oct 27, 2014
Is there a way I can make my teeth much more whiter... Even as
white as snow? grin

Hope it won't require me using charcoal and egg shellssad

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 8:50pm On Oct 27, 2014
[quote author=dvdon post=27482405]Please how can I handle swelling in my gum that also bleeds but not painful. [/quote pls read the article on gum bleeding above and see possible solutions. Thank you
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 8:51pm On Oct 27, 2014
coolestdude01:
Is there a way I can make my teeth much more whiter... Even as
white as snow? grin

Hope it won't require me using charcoal and egg shellssad
yh sure. It will be done for u in d clinic, involves the use of hydrogen peroxide.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by adigunomomama(m): 10:58pm On Oct 27, 2014
Nice Thread @Op

Pls doc, am having a serious issue here

Have be goin throu pains in my teeth since 6-7yrs ago

I always applied self medicatn to it

And it will relief me buh this what I notice

The pains is like a season...comes thrice a year and within dat period I would be my self.

Now most of my teeth av been damaged

Holes in there, d gum swollen, I can't eat meat, can't eat chicken and finish d bones...

Am planning to visit UITH i.e Unilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin cos am presently in Ilorin.

I need your help on drugs I can use to relief d pains cos I av used all my self medicatns buh d pains still continue.

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 8:49pm On Oct 29, 2014
adigunomomama:
Nice Thread @Op

Pls doc, am having a serious issue here

Have be goin throu pains in my teeth since 6-7yrs ago

I always applied self medicatn to it

And it will relief me buh this what I notice

The pains is like a season...comes thrice a year and within dat period I would be my self.

Now most of my teeth av been damaged

Holes in there, d gum swollen, I can't eat meat, can't eat chicken and finish d bones...

Am planning to visit UITH i.e Unilorin Teaching Hospital, Ilorin cos am presently in school here in Ilorin.

I need your help on drugs I can use to relief d pains cos I av used all my self medicatns buh d pains still continue.
u need to visit the dental clinic in ur school asap cos the consequences of u delaying dat is dat complications might arise. Uve been having recurrent episodes of pain cos from ur pics, I can see retained roots of grossly broken down teeth, which get infected from time to time, during which u feel d pain. U den take antibiotics, which fights d infection and relieves u of the pain, but doesn't resolve the underlying cause of it. I'm not giving you any medication cos u have to stop self medication and go to the dental clinic asap.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Omonoba1: 8:35am On Oct 30, 2014
Omonoba salutes your effort Sire!
sail on!
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 8:51am On Oct 30, 2014
Sharon6:
following
Thanks
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 8:52am On Oct 30, 2014
Omonoba1:
Omonoba salutes your effort Sire!
sail on!
Thank you Sir
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by hbb2: 12:04pm On Oct 30, 2014
pauloshevy:
Come in and ask your questions or seek advice.
wats d best toothpaste to use
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 8:14pm On Oct 30, 2014
@ pauloshevy

It's my third visit to the dentist in the root canal treatment and surprisingly I still feel pains. Okay the X ray shows I have a curved mesial canal and a straight distal canal. I noticed the files used by the dentist is straight. I just can't reconcile this with the fact that a straight files would never work for a curved mesial canal as things will only get worse if the straight file causes a ledge.

I need you to comment on how you think it's possible for a straight file to work for a curved mesial canal. I understand the dentist said they don't have any curved file, but why she continues with the straight files is beyond me. I am scared that things may get worse this way as my little knowledge of dentistry shows.

I am in pains now, can hardly eat. I bought ibuprofen 400mg for the pains and flagyl and amoxyl for an antibiotic but the pains only suppress for a while and comes back later.

So please what do you suggest I do?
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:55pm On Oct 30, 2014
hbb2:
what's d best toothpaste to use
well, the best type of toothpastes to use are those which contain fluoride and have low abrasive content. So any time u want to buy, just check d pack and see if it has these contents. Examples are Close Up, Oral B, MacCleans, Colgate. But most importantly it must contain Fluoride.

1 Like

Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 31, 2014
pauloshevy:
yh sure. It will be done for u in d clinic, involves the use of hydrogen peroxide.
How much does it cost to get the treatment??
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 10:30pm On Oct 31, 2014
ikeola6:
How much does it cost to get the treatment??
it's about 24 thousand naira.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Daminister(m): 10:43pm On Oct 31, 2014
Just came across ur thread n i've bin following dilligently...Really appreciate u. Pls,i av bin experiencing pains in my left side teeth that i find it difficult to chew n to crown it all,i feel strong pains n weakness in the teeth whenever i eat or drink anything either cold/hot.can u pls help throw more light on this problem n d likely solution.this is my mail addy: minister302001@yahoo.com...thanks alot
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 11:26pm On Oct 31, 2014
Daminister:
Just came across ur thread n i've bin following dilligently...Really appreciate u. Pls,i av bin experiencing pains in my left side teeth that i find it difficult to chew n to crown it all,i feel strong pains n weakness in the teeth whenever i eat or drink anything either cold/hot.can u pls help throw more light on this problem n d likely solution.this is my mail addy: minister302001@yahoo.com...thanks alot
Thank you for following. The tooth is probably carious I. E there is a hole in your tooth, its infected and that is what is causing u pain. If the pain comes after u've eaten, u would just have to do an amalgam filling, but if the pain comes on its own, u would have to do a root canal treatment. U could come over to LUTH to get treatment done, nd if u come over, call me on 08063730309.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 1:07pm On Nov 01, 2014
As I earlier said, I will be posting the article on halitosis I. E bad breath soonest. I hope u find it educative nd informative as always.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 3:52pm On Nov 01, 2014
pauloshevy:
As I earlier said, I will be posting the article on halitosis I. E bad breath soonest. I hope u find it educative nd informative as always.
did you get my post above? It was hidden before for no reason, it's now visible.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 5:13pm On Nov 01, 2014
haibe:
did you get my post above? It was hidden before for no reason, it's now visible.
no I didn't, would answer it now
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 7:03pm On Nov 01, 2014
haibe:
no, I didn't. Just seeing it now.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 7:37pm On Nov 01, 2014
haibe:
@ pauloshevy

It's my third visit to the dentist in the root canal treatment and surprisingly I still feel pains. Okay the X ray shows I have a curved mesial canal and a straight distal canal. I noticed the files used by the dentist is straight. I just can't reconcile this with the fact that a straight files would never work for a curved mesial canal as things will only get worse if the straight file causes a ledge.

I need you to comment on how you think it's possible for a straight file to work for a curved mesial canal. I understand the dentist said they don't have any curved file, but why she continues with the straight files is beyond me. I am scared that things may get worse this way as my little knowledge of dentistry shows.

I am in pains now, can hardly eat. I bought ibuprofen 400mg for the pains and flagyl and amoxyl for an antibiotic but the pains only suppress for a while and comes back later.

So please what do you suggest I do?

Root canal treatment is a conservative treatment that isn't fool proof, so she was trying her possible best to conserve d tooth nd prevent extraction which is d last resort. So wen next u come to the clinic, explain how u're feeling to her. U would need to take another radiograph, to see it d rct failed or not. If it failed, u might av to extract it. I understand ur fears, but don't worry, everything will be fine. It would be best if u come to the clinic as soon as possible and stop the antibiotics medications. Self medication isn't always the best.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by haibe(m): 11:06pm On Nov 01, 2014
pauloshevy:
Root canal treatment is a conservative treatment that isn't fool proof, so she was trying her possible best to conserve d tooth nd prevent extraction which is d last resort. So wen next u come to the clinic, explain how u're feeling to her. U would need to take another radiograph, to see it d rct failed or not. If it failed, u might av to extract it. I understand ur fears, but don't worry, everything will be fine. It would be best if u come to the clinic as soon as possible and stop the antibiotics medications. Self medication isn't always the best.

She prescribed the medicine for me actually since she is on leave until next 2 weeks. I will consider letting her know if I could still come. Thanks.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 11:49pm On Nov 01, 2014
haibe:

She prescribed the medicine for me actually since she is on leave until next 2 weeks. I will consider letting her know if I could still come. Thanks.
Aii. Ure welcome.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 6:31pm On Nov 03, 2014
So as I said earlier, this is the article on halitosis.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 6:40pm On Nov 03, 2014
HALITOSIS
Also known as bad breath is a health condition that may result from poor oral hygiene and can be embarrassing. Bad breath can be made worse by some types of food, unhealthy lifestyle habits and other health conditions.

Causes of halitosis
There are various ways one can get bad breath and the causes include:

Poor oral hygiene - Not brushing and flossing would lead to accumulation of food particles in the mouth and thus promote bacterial growth around the gums, on the tongue and between the teeth and may as such cause bad breath. This may be reduced with anti-bacterial mouthwash.

Certain types of food - Break down of food particles in the mouth may cause bad breath when not properly removed from the mouth either via brushing or flossing or even with a simple water rinse. And also eating certain foods with strong odors such as garlic, onions, some spices may cause bad breath.

Smoking or chewing of tobacco products would cause bad breath, staining of the surfaces of the teeth and cause gum diseases

Dry mouth - When Saliva, which helps to cleanse the mouth removing particles and thus prevent bad breath, is absent, it would cause halitosis

Mouth infections such as tooth decay, mouth sores or gum disease may also cause bad breath

Medications - Some drugs may cause dry mouth in an individual and thus indirectly lead to bad breath

Other cases such as not properly cleaned dentures may cause bad breath, some metabolic/systemic conditions may cause distinctive bad breath or various mouth, nose and throat infections.

Symptoms

Bad breath may vary and usually depends on the underlying cause. There are various features a person with halitosis may or may not present with and they include :

- Mouth odor
- White coating usually present at the back of the tongue
- Dry mouth
- Constant sour/bitter metallic taste
- Thick saliva
Though these are features a person may present with, it is difficult to assess your own breath and thus you may have to ask someone you are close to assess your breath for you.

Treatment of halitosis.

There is no one treatment for halitosis, treatment usually depends on the underlying cause or source. Bad breath if not taken care of by either brushing,flossing or by the use of mouthwash is usually taken care of by the dentist. The bad breath which may be due to gum disease or some various oral conditions, is usually treated in the dental clinic. But as long as the cause/source of the bad breath is found and treated or removed, bad breath would also be stopped

Prevention

The various ways to prevent halitosis/bad breath is by practicing good oral hygiene and this can be done by brushing twice a day with medium toothbrush and by the use of fluoride toothpaste.
You can also brush with toothpaste or rinse mouth with water after eating thus preventing accumulation of food particles.
Also changing toothbrush every 3months helps to preserve good oral hygiene
Visiting your dentist at least every 6months for check ups, usually to clean your teeth and detect any oral disease that may be present
Avoid smoking or chewing any tobacco products
Drinking lots of water
Keeping track of foods or medications taking so thus being able to point out the cause if bad breath is present
Thus, in these various ways halitosis/bad breath can be avoided.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 5:32pm On Nov 04, 2014
I hope the article on halitosis was helpful cos I know a lot of people are suffering from it but are ashamed of seeking help. Incase u have any questions, please feel free to post them.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by pauloshevy(m): 9:36am On Nov 06, 2014
Good morning, have a nice day everyone.
Re: VERY IMPORTANT : DENTAL HEALTH (Ask any question you want ) by Unekz(m): 12:21pm On Nov 06, 2014
how do i make my teeth sparkling white pls
my teeth is bcomin yellowish

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

9-Year-Old Tests Positive For COVID-19 In Enugu / Lagos Opens DNA Forensic Lab, The First In Nigeria / What Can Be The Cause Of My Friend's Childlessness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.