Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria (37325 Views)

5 Universities That Do Not Accept 2 Sittings In O’level For Medicine And Law / Top 5 Universities In Nigeria That Offers Mass Communications / 2013: Top 5 Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:00am On Aug 13, 2009
great abusites b4 any
oau
ui
unijos
unilag
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by DISTINCT89(m): 11:11am On Nov 15, 2009
UNILORIN
UNAAB
O. A. U
UNIBEN
ABU
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 11:36pm On Nov 15, 2009
From what has been churned out in the last 30 years in regards to Leaders in Industry, Government and Academia, NO DOUBT it is:

1) UI
2) OAU
3) Unilag
4) Uniben
5) ABU

In that order!

And this is from someone that did not attend Uni in Nigeria so no affiliation.

Other pretenders are UNN, Unilorin, Unical, ESUT.

Anyone naming top 5 that includes unis out of these bunch of 9 is chatting pure rubbish (based on the talents out there).

ABU might have unfair advantage based on the criteria I used though, as it is a university based in the North and hence most of the Hausas would go there. Since the North take a large quota (not based on merit) of public sector roles and a lot of connections is required for some private ones, there products are more likely to be very prominent in top roles.

That said, some ABU products are quality, advantage or no advantage.

Uniben peeps UNN from what I have seen. ESUT is always punching above its weight.
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Nijasingh: 1:50am On Nov 16, 2009
UNIBEN

UI

and the rest
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 10:12am On Nov 16, 2009
Sagamite:

ABU might have unfair advantage based on the criteria I used though, as it is a university based in the North and hence most of the Hausas would go there. Since the North take a large quota (not based on merit) of public sector roles and a lot of connections is required for some private ones, there products are more likely to be very prominent in top roles.

That said, some ABU products are quality, advantage or no advantage.
What a brilliant analysis!!!!

I have also observed this. Anytime, governorship or ministerial office holders/nominees are analysed by university they finished from, ABU usually takes 50%, if not more. There was a time(1999-2003), 17 out of the 36 governors in Nigeria were ABU products. The reason, as you pointed out, is simple: Virtually all educated northerners(and specifically here, nothern state governors) went to ABU. While in the South, it is spread between OAU, Unilag, and UNN. That is for those that schooled in Nigeria.
More than 50% of the current ministers are also from ABU, which is a mere reflection of the fact that virtually all northern states representatives(don't forget ministerial appointment is allocated by state) in the cabinet are from ABU. Of course, north has 19(more than 50%) of the 36 states.

This why ABU appears to be dominating with the Umaru Yar'aduas, Nuhu Ribadus, Nasir El-Rufais, Lamido Sanusis,  Shamsudeen Usmans, Mansur Mukhtar(the last 3 are products of same dept-Economics-in ABU). Deputy Governor of CBN(Monetary policy) Sarah is an Ife Economics product(but had Phd in Ilorin), Tunde Lemo(Surveillance) is a UNN Accounting product.

But as you concluded,I totally agree with you that ABU products are quality.
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by madamL(f): 11:43am On Nov 16, 2009
UNN ought to be number one on every list. Then you can add
UI
OAU
COVENANT
UNILAG
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by vicade(m): 11:45am On Nov 16, 2009
I can only say for privates and are based on the quality of their graduates in the labour market .

BABCOCK
COVENANT
BOWEN
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 11:54am On Nov 16, 2009
vicade:

I can only say for privates and are based on the quality of their graduates in the labour market .

BABCOCK
COVENANT
BOWEN

You want to explain what you mean by "quality of their graduates in the labour markets" and how this makes them stand out better than the ones from Unilag or OAU for example?
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by drake2(m): 2:00pm On Nov 18, 2009
There is only one University; and it gave birth to all the others. Maybe u guys are too young in age or little experienced adults not to recognize it.

1.The University of Ibadan
2. And other satellite campuses

Different Universities have varying research strengths and expertise in different areas, but you just can't beat ur masters in it just because u are newly estabilished with new equipment. U still need the masters to teach u how they work.

Your contradictions are very much welcome,
Thank you
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by lordizak(m): 10:25am On Nov 19, 2009
Uni- ibadan. UNN UNI - BEN ABU. UNI - LAG
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 10:35am On Nov 19, 2009
lordizak:

Uni- ibadan. UNN UNI - BEN ABU. UNI - LAG

OAU is not in your list but yet they produce a lot of the superstars in Nigeria?
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Lheyhe(m): 5:56pm On Nov 19, 2009
hi wassup nairalanders the premier and the best university in NIG is U.I. followed by O.A.U. and UNIBEN, also UNILAG and UNILORIN while those that choose any private university should go back to their drawing board and re-think.[color=][/color]
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by chibuzineo(m): 9:12pm On Nov 19, 2009
yea i want to say dat if u are rating interms of academic coaching am sorry unilag is far from it wat day do der is paparazi level but in nigeria university rating to me i will say
Unn
Ui
Uniben
Abu
Oau
i tell u oau should have been in the third position but cos of there slow academic calender.dey have to remain in dat spot
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by abariko1(m): 2:16pm On Nov 20, 2009
Abeg when una finish ranking make una no forget Yar'adua University lol.

Check Mine:

Uniport
Unilag
Unillorin
Uniibadan
Futo
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Jibson999(m): 7:04am On Nov 21, 2009
Fut minna
Fut minna
Fut minna
Fut minna
others
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by whale2k5: 8:01am On Nov 22, 2009
Many of you are ignorant of northern universities.
UI
Unilag
Unijos
Abu
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by vicsty(m): 9:51am On Nov 23, 2009
Guys make u stop al dis argues

d answer 2 d question is dis

UNIBEN
UNIBEN
UNIBEN
FUTA
FUTA
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by adebayo201: 7:31pm On Nov 23, 2009
madam L:

UNN ought to be number one on every list. Then you can add
UI
OAU
COVENANT
UNILAG

God bless u jare
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 24, 2009
based on recent universities rating.
UNIBEN
UNILORIN
UI
OAU
ABU
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 4:40pm On Nov 24, 2009
vickipad:

based on recent universities rating.
UNIBEN
UNILORIN
UI
OAU
ABU

You can't (logically) miss Unilag out of top 5.

The only one of my top 5 that can be sensibly replaced is ABU and that is only by UNN, Unilorin or some private Uni I am not aware off.
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 5:49pm On Nov 24, 2009
My Top is still:
-OAU
-Unilag
-UI
-UNN
-ABU
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:39pm On Nov 26, 2009
In my capacity as one who have exhausted the length and breath the nigeria and her universities, i can authoritatively state that these are my top five: 1. OAU 2. OAU 3. OAU 4. UNILORIN 5. UNIBEN. There is no gainsaying the fact that OAU remains our foremost institution. The best we ever had in all respect. OAU, I douf my cap.
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 26, 2009
In my capacity as one who have exhausted the length and breath of Nigeria and her universities, i can authoritatively state that these are my top five: 1. OAU 2. OAU 3. OAU 4. UNILORIN 5. UNIBEN. There is no gainsaying the fact that OAU remains our foremost institution. The best we ever had in all respect. OAU, I douf my cap.
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by abswale(m): 4:38am On Nov 27, 2009
1. UNILORIN
2. UNIPORT
3. UI
4. OAU
5. UNIBEN
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by yomiBakare: 2:06pm On Nov 27, 2009
Uniben,ui,oau,unilag,unn
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by yomiBakare: 2:07pm On Nov 27, 2009
Uniben,ui,oau,unilag,unn
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by 2mmoney: 5:06pm On Nov 27, 2009
My top five universities in Nigeria

1)none
2)none
3)none
4)none
5)none

try comparing Nigerian universities with the world ranking and you will know that it is like comparing primary school with university
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Abisoye87: 9:22pm On Nov 27, 2009
Lag and others
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by ruhu: 8:14am On Nov 28, 2009
Unilorin is d BEST in Nigeria at the moment!.4 more info,visit www.4icu.org/ng
AND
www.4icu.org/topafrica.
For the Nigerian and African rankings respectively.
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by dammybravo(m): 11:00pm On Nov 28, 2009
for
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:43am On Nov 29, 2009
Rubish!!! grin even the best university in Nigeria is not even in the top 8000 rankings in the world.
Trash!!!!!!!! As far as i am concerned, there are no best or good Universities in Nigeria. angry
Re: Your Top 5 Universities In Nigeria by Abuite: 3:03pm On Nov 29, 2009
Abu
unn
unilag
ui
oau

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

16 Pictures Some Students Playing Bet9ja Virtual Soccer Can Relate To / Obafemi Awolowo University Poor Welfare state / Rape: Cyril Osim Ndifon Risks 7 Years In Jail As ICPC Tenders 70 Nude Pix, Texts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.