Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,576 members, 7,823,504 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Igala Language In Anambra State. - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igala Language In Anambra State. (86925 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Aurthur Eze In Anambra (Photos) / The Igala People In Anambra State / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by MEILYN(m): 2:20pm On Aug 04, 2017
Wulfruna:

The Igbos you met answering your surname must be Nsukka Igbos. That's the only part of Igboland that has Idoko, plus other Igala names like Onoja and Asadu (from Achadu), etc.
I met someone from Anambra with that name. Please don't jump to conclusions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by MEILYN(m): 2:23pm On Aug 04, 2017
laudate:

Continue, telling us your tall tales and disjointed stories. wink We are watching and laughing silently at your attempt to deceive yourself, especially as it is quite clear, that you cannot deceive the rest of us.
Speak for yourself. I don't owe you anything neither do I have any reason to lie.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by laudate: 2:31pm On Aug 04, 2017
MEILYN:
Speak for yourself. I don't owe you anything neither do I have any reason to lie.
You are right. wink You owe me nothing, (considering the fact that I asked you for nothing in the first place! shocked) which is why your attempts to lie and whitewash those lies, are really glaring! In this age of information, ignorance is a choice. No one should stop you from choosing to be ignorant. undecided

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by MEILYN(m): 2:42pm On Aug 04, 2017
laudate:

You are right. wink You owe me nothing, (considering the fact that I asked you for nothing in the first place! shocked) which is why your attempts to lie and whitewash those lies, are really glaring! In this age of information, ignorance is a choice. No one should stop you from choosing to be ignorant. undecided
Well, as much as I think I have no reason to explain anything to you, I really think your idiocy on this platform needs to be checked. You thought I was lying when I said I am from Kogi State and I have lived in Lagos all my life.

Lol, here are my birth certificate and state of origin certificate. This will clearly keep you in Check. Why you think I am lying baffles me, maybe everyone should have a Yoruba friend according to you.

They will be deleted soon though..

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by laudate: 2:45pm On Aug 04, 2017
MEILYN:
Well, as much as I think I have no reason to explain anything to you, I really think your idiocy on this platform needs to be checked. You think I was lying when I said I am from Kogi State and I have lived in Lagos all my life.

Lol, here are my birth certificate and state of origin certificate. This will clearly keep you in Check. Why you think I am lying baffles me, maybe everyone should have a Yoruba friend according to you.

They will be deleted soon though..
Keep who in check? Me?? shocked Don't make me laugh. cool Like I said, I find your lies and ignorance quite entertaining. Do carry on... cheesy At such a young age of 22 years, you still have time to get rid of your ignorance, before it is too late.

5 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by AbakalikiPress: 4:05pm On Aug 04, 2017
MEILYN:
Why you think I beg Yoruba boys to be my friends is appalling. Lol, the opposite is the case. To be honest, Yoruba boys in this part of Lagos tend to influence boys like me in bad ways. Had I moved with Yoruba boys from a very young age I would have been a nuisance. Their attitude and way of life is not something I would like to admire.

I only associate with people who add value and no Yoruba boy in my area has ever showed such sign.

Now, I don't think I will reply you anymore. I know you to be a trouble maker. Is it by force to have a Yoruba friend? Like I said earlier, I relate with Yorubas on street level, there's no personal relationship in anyway.

Ohhhh, my sister's husband and I are friends because we are family.

2 of my sisters got married to Yoruba men and I relate with only one. The other guy and I have nothing to talk about .

3 of my sisters got married to Igbo men and we relate very well. They add value to my life, period!

I was born in Lagos and I don't even understand Yoruba, even the simplest Yoruba. That tells you I don't have Yoruba friends.

lol you probably don't even speak Igala your own language as well.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Wulfruna(f): 5:47pm On Aug 04, 2017
MEILYN:
I met someone from Anambra with that name. Please don't jump to conclusions.

Where in Anambra was the person from?
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Probz(m): 6:38pm On Aug 04, 2017
laudate:

Do you speak Igala yourself laudate?
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by laudate: 7:25pm On Aug 04, 2017
Probz:
Do you speak Igala yourself laudate?
Why do you want to know? By the way, don't you think you are rather too old to keep following me around on NL? Quit stalking me, pls! shocked

4 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Probz(m): 12:22am On Aug 05, 2017
laudate:

Why do you want to know? By the way, don't you think you are rather too old to keep following me around on NL? Quit stalking me, pls! shocked

Only I wouldn't expect you to lay into and insult an Igala man when you barely know anything about Igala.

Wait first, have you counted how many Igala people have Yoruba friends? shocked

I highly doubt it. Instead you're here telling an Igala man he's lying about his experiences. But wait first, what sort of a jerk does that?

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by laudate: 12:33am On Aug 05, 2017
Probz:
Only I wouldn't expect you to lay into and insult an Igala man when you barely know anything about Igala.

Wait first, have you counted how many Igala people have Yoruba friends? shocked

I highly doubt it. Instead you're here telling an Igala man he's lying about his experiences. But wait first, what sort of a jerk does that?
Can you listen to yourself? undecided So if an Igala man is barking up the wrong tree and spewing lies, I should applaud his folly? shocked Is he a mini-god? What da heck is that about? I call it as I see it, and have no apologies for it. Go back and read through his posts, and all my responses to him. His lies were too glaring. sad

Anyway, if you want to support his lies, please jump on his bandwagon and give him a pat on the back. It only shows that you value falsehood more than truth! I know too many Igalas born in Lagos, that have Yoruba friends. Weren't you the clown arguing that Igala language was 60% Yoruboid, or something like that, in another thread? Now, kindly get off my mentions, you toddler! angry

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by bigfrancis21: 1:00am On Aug 05, 2017
MEILYN:

Ignore the troll. You don't have to explain more to him. Your story sounds believable well enough. I've seen many people born and bred in Lagos who don't understand nor speak Yoruba or have close Yoruba friends. He simply taking your experience personally when it is a reality. Many confuse the difference between a friend (someone you can count on anytime any day) and an associate (someone you exchange pleasantries with etc.). I personally spent a couple of months in Lagos in 2011 during my IT and honestly speaking if I were to live in Nigeria I can't live in Lagos. Abuja comes close but the weather is way too hot for me.

I'm pretty sure he would respond to my post. As I've done in the past, I'd give him the silent treatment.

3 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Probz(m): 7:08am On Aug 05, 2017
laudate:

Can you listen to yourself? undecided So if an Igala man is barking up the wrong tree and spewing lies, I should applaud his folly? shocked Is he a mini-god? What da heck is that about? I call it as I see it, and have no apologies for it. Go back and read through his posts, and all my responses to him. His lies were too glaring. sad

Anyway, if you want to support his lies, please jump on his bandwagon and give him a pat on the back. It only shows that you value falsehood more than truth! I know too many Igalas born in Lagos, that have Yoruba friends. Weren't you the clown arguing that Igala language was 60% Yoruboid, or something like that, in another thread? Now, kindly get off my mentions, you toddler! angry

There's a difference between true mate and aquintance for one thing. You know literal thinking's a symptom of Asperger's Syndrome so I'd expect it to pass you right by.

Me arguing that Igala was Yoruboid? Yup. Did the Igala man put me wrong or re-affirm me and tell you that I was correct, hm?

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by laudate: 1:04pm On Aug 05, 2017
Probz:
There's a difference between true mate and aquintance for one thing. You know literal thinking's a symptom of Asperger's Syndrome so I'd expect it to pass you right by.

Me arguing that Igala was Yoruboid? Yup. Did the Igala man put me wrong or re-affirm me and tell you that I was correct, hm?
Do you honestly expect an answer from me? Or have you started experiencing symptoms of this so-called Asperger's Syndrome that you just claimed to be suffering from?

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Probz(m): 2:11pm On Aug 05, 2017
laudate:

Do you honestly expect an answer from me? Or have you started experiencing symptoms of this so-called Asperger's Syndrome that you just claimed to be suffering from?

I said you're the one suffering from Asperger's mate.

Igala's Yoruboid and any Igala person here would readily confirm that. Try and stick to hard facts when you're carrying out your agenda, o?
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by laudate: 2:22pm On Aug 05, 2017
Probz:
I said you're the one suffering from Asperger's mate.

Igala's Yoruboid and any Igala person here would readily confirm that.
For you to know so much about Asperger's syndrome, it means you have already suffered from it. sad Accept my sympathy. And direct your statements about Igala being Yoruboid to that juvenile loser, who claimed to have lived in Lagos all his life, and yet has no Yoruba friends within the city. Even those who attend public schools in Lagos, have friends among the citizenry. Like I said earlier, I have never met an Igala man who has lived in Lagos all his life, that does not have Yoruba friends. Now, can you kindly get off my mentions, you toddler?

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Probz(m): 3:05pm On Aug 05, 2017
laudate:

For you to know so much about Asperger's syndrome, it means you have already suffered from it. sad Accept my sympathy. And direct your statements about Igala being Yoruboid to that juvenile loser, who claimed to have lived in Lagos all his life, and yet has no Yoruba friends within the city. Even those who attend public schools in Lagos, have friends among the citizenry. Like I said earlier, I have never met an Igala man who has lived in Lagos all his life, that does not have Yoruba friends. Now, can you kindly get off my mentions, you toddler?

If you want me to stop talking to you, stop talking to me. You're not always gonna have the last word.

You sound like a total spaz when you *request* for people to get off your mentions.

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by laudate: 3:09pm On Aug 05, 2017
Probz:
If you want me to stop talking to you, stop talking to me. You're not always gonna have the last word.

You sound like a total spaz when you *request* for people to get off your mentions.
And you sound like a total retar'd when you refuse to get off my mentions...

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Probz(m): 3:12pm On Aug 05, 2017
cool
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by pazienza(m): 12:00am On Aug 06, 2017
MEILYN:
This is a lovely thread, I must say I have learned a lot. I enjoyed reading from the beginning to the end.

I am an Igala boy from Olamaboro LGA of Kogi State. My surname is Idoko, I got curious when I saw Igbos bearing my surname, so I decided to do a research for myself.

Trust me, I relate well with Igbos. I have lived in Lagos all my life and I still don't have a youruba friend. I love Igbo food and people mistake me for an Igbo guy every time. Nobody needs to tell me that there's a connection between the Igalas and Igbos

Aww! Good story.
You are welcome bro. We need more Igalas like you.

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 10:08am On Aug 06, 2017
cheruv:
mmm...does kogi broadcast news in Igbo for kogite Igbos?? undecided
anyway its good knowing igalas there speak Igbo but all that remains is for them to be Igbonized..after all they're descendants of Igala warriors left after the atta Igala was defeated at lake Omeluigala.

God bless Igbo land smiley
we don't hv any Igbo who is a idigine of kogi state

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 10:11am On Aug 06, 2017
Klinee:
That is igala language not igbo
" kabe enable" is not a igala word at all except if ur igala is different from our own in kogi

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Wulfruna(f): 10:44am On Aug 06, 2017
Emmydann:
" kabe enable" is not a igala word at all except if ur igala is different from our own in kogi

Even the type of Igala spoken in Ibaji has differences from the one spoken in the interior of Kogi. How much more the type spoken by the Igala in Anambra? Dialects differ. I suspect 'Kabe inale' betrays some Igbo influence.

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by bigfrancis21: 4:32am On Aug 08, 2017
Emmydann:

Kabe enale....though spelt differently sounds quite similar to kee ebe I na-eje/na-aga in Igbo and carries the same meaning. You can see the Igboid influence on Ibaji Igala, a melting pot of two languages. I love to think that Ibaji Igalas may have been an original Igbo group, like their akpanya brothers, later Igalanized, but retained certain Igboid features. Even in terms of looks, they look quite similar to Igbos, hence why 'core' Igalas call them omo Ibo. I believe chromosomal-dna testing can reveal little or partial Igbo ancestry among Ibaji Igalas, if any, and to what degree of their entire genetic code.

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by laudate: 4:39am On Aug 08, 2017
Emmydann:
we don't hv any Igbo who is a idigine of kogi state
Hehehe.... God bless you for setting the records straight! cheesy
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 08, 2017
Wulfruna:

Even the type of Igala spoken in Ibaji has differences from the one spoken in the interior of Kogi. How much more the type spoken by the Igala in Anambra? Dialects differ. I suspect 'Kabe inale' betrays some Igbo influence.
mind u,,,,in kogi we do understand all d igala spoken,,,,,the twisting of d tongue could b different but not d spelling,,,,,,,,,,the igala bible used in a church in ankpa is still dsame used in ibaji,dekina and d rest part

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Wulfruna(f): 2:33pm On Aug 08, 2017
Emmydann:
mind u,,,,in kogi we do understand all d igala spoken,,,,,the twisting of d tongue could b different but not d spelling,,,,,,,,,,the igala bible used in a church in ankpa is still dsame used in ibaji,dekina and d rest part

Language standardization is the reason for the bible thing. I have met Igala people that told me Ibaji is hard for them to grab. It's not just the 'twisting of tongue'; words can be considerably different sometimes. In fact, on one Igala Forum I used to be a member of, some Igala people were even questioning why Ibaji should included in Igala at all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by kingsmaila(m): 10:23am On Aug 09, 2017
The Government should reunite us with our people in a State that is Kogi to avoid marginalization. Please our people in Nzam Anambra state should be patient as the time for our unity will surely come.
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by bigfrancis21: 5:38pm On Aug 09, 2017
kingsmaila:
The Government should reunite us with our people in a State that is Kogi to avoid marginalization. Please our people in Nzam Anambra state should be patient as the time for our unity will surely come.

Nzam is not an Igala town. It is an originally Igbo town invaded by Igalas, which fought off the Igala imposition. The only Igala area in Anambra is the olumbanasaa area, which is an island separated from anambra mainland and surrounded by water. Take note of that.

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Konquest: 6:50am On Nov 24, 2017
Klinee:
Some of u did not know that the word ANAMBRA which is purely pronouced OMAOBALA is igala language. There is a town along the river OMAOBALA(ANAMBRA) called OBALE. Its believed that river omaobala is own by the SONS OF OBALE(oma-obale river). OMA means sons in igala language. For example if the sons of tabletman have a house, people may refer the house as "UMU TABLETMAN HOUSE". River OMAOBALA was misinterpreted by the whitemen so they wrote ANAMBRA.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Konquest: 2:38am On Nov 27, 2017
vivienbabe:
I'm following this intense discussion with great admiration. I thank the OP for bringing up this community in the social media. I have since been scouting for more information on Nzam community, but am a little confused because i found out that this community has an Igbo monarch as well.
Then i stumbled on an article written many years ago by a soldier who was stationed there during the civil war. His observations about Nzam was also quite illuminating.

Please, I will like the OP to shade more light on the bolded parts of the article for my knowledge enrichment. Is Nzam Igbo or Igala or both?READ THE ARTICLE BELOW:

A FISH CALLED BIAFRA

Biafra was not death and sorrow all the time. In the mist of all the uncertainties, there was ‘normal' life going on. After my Red Cross assignment at Iyienu hospital Ogidi, I came back to Achi for a one-week break before undertaking my second assignment, this time I was posted to Nzam.

Nzam is a unique Igbo town. Unique is so many ways. For instance they are a bilingual people. I do not know about these days, but during the hostilities when I was there I discovered that every Nzam person apart from speaking Igbo as their mother tongue, also spoke Igala, the language of the ethnic Igalas bordering Igboland in the North. This may have to do with the movement and settlement of people from that area hundreds of years ago, as it is believed that some other Igbo communities along the Niger, in Asaba and Onitsha, may have migrated from Igala.

In the past Niger River was the main trading route between communities along its coast, it also facilitated migration and settlement. It may not be impossible therefore that the Nzam people or a part of them migrated from Igala. But the more common explanation by the people of Nzam regarding their bilingualism was that Nzam mastered Igala language as a trade strategy. Nzam was an important trade post during the boom days of the Niger River trade route. Being located upper north, it was one of the first large Igbo communities the Igala traders arrive in. Through such regular contacts, they learnt their language. When other Igbo traders come in from the hinterland, the Nzam trader becomes the go between, the middlemen. Because of his mastery of both languages the Nzam people were able to make good bargains to their advantage.

Nzam is also rich agriculturally. They have a very rich soil that is watered and at the same time fertilized by the yearly flooding ‘Iji' of the river Niger. Their yams are one of the earliest to be harvested. When I was there it was quite interesting to see partially submerged yam farms. It was also interesting to watch farmers harvest their yams. Anyone who knows about yam farming must agree that it is a tough job, and this includes the harvesting process. It takes a careful digging to successfully get a yam tuber safely dug up. But for the Nzam yam farmer, they practically pull large yam tubers off the soil with ease, sometimes using a canoe, as the farms are often partially submerged.

The uniqueness of Nzam and its environ will be incomplete without mentioning mosquitoes and sand flies. These two were my nightmare apart from the raging war. By daytime the sand flies take over. These tiny, and almost invisible flies can really be big menace. Their stinging multiple bites sends irritating sensation all over your body, and they attack in droves making you slap yourself all over. But wait until the night comes, when their big brother, the mosquito takes over. The Nzam mosquito is a rare breed. I guess it has a tiny sword for proboscis, if not how came it could pierce through army fatigue uniform to reach the skin. Well, it is often said that you can never have it all, this must be the reason Nzam is rich agriculturally.

Another aspect of Nzam and the one I enjoyed most in those days was the river Niger and the abundant fishes therein. Having grown up in dry hilly hinterland of Enugu, the rivers I knew were spring waters, shallow streams, brooks, and water ponds. To suddenly be in a place almost surrounded by a massive body of water was extremely exciting. Luckily near my boarding school before the war in Umunze, there was this stream called ‘Unyo'. We were mandated to fetch water from the stream every morning, ahh! How I hated being woken up as early as 6am by hostile sound of the bell and driven off my bed half awake. The awful sound of many swinging metal buckets could be heard as the boys rush to the stream. Anyway I learnt to swim, thanks to ‘Unyo'. I love swimming and I swam everyday throughout my stay in Nzam, but so does everyone I guess, for I cannot imagine how someone can stay in that area without dipping oneself into River Niger.

Yes the fishes, how can I forget the delicious fresh water fishes from the river. We ate fish on a daily bases, both fresh and dried ones. In Nzam those days, soups are made with so much fish in it that you hardly see the rue. For each bolus of pounded yam, a magnanimous piece of fish to go down with. Such was the case in Nzam. And the war raged on.

Like I mentioned earlier, the yearly flooding of the River Niger enriches the lands along the banks of Anambara River, all the way down to its confluence where it joined the River Niger. All the towns along the river, towns like Otu Ukpo, Orometiti, Mmiatta, Ode. Odekpe, Nzam and others enjoy a yearly soil enrichment which guaranteed good farm harvest, and a constant supply of fresh fish.

I was once privileged to observe a fish harvest. Before this time I never heard anything about fish

farming, and I am not sure it has been introduced anywhere in the then Eastern Nigeria

before the civil war. Even if it had been, it was still uncommon. But the people of Nzam and its

surrounding did not need anyone to teach them fish farming, for their forefathers have been practicing that from day one and albeit in the most natural way. Traditional fish farming in Nzam and its surrounding goes like this; Keeping in mind that the ‘Iji', the yearly flooding, takes place during the rainy season, they have studied its pattern, they know the right spots to dig a trough to hold up a reasonable amount of water. The Iji when it comes, brings in a large variety of fishes that get trapped in the trough after it had receded. Tree branches and leaves are then cut and dumped in the through now turned pond, to make it as inhabitable as possible for the fishes. On a daily bases remains of food and other biological refuse are dumped in the pond, for instance cassava and yam peelings. These become a source of food for the fishes. Thus the fishes are fed fat before they are harvested. The harvesting takes place during the later part of dry season, say around mid January. It was one of such harvesting I witnessed during the civil war in a village in Nzam. This was a pond owned by a family I got to know at that time. They invited me to join in the fish harvest; they also invited other friends as it is customary in Igboland. By the time I arrived at the pond, young men in two canoes were already clearing the pond by removing the tree branches, trunks, and other foliage put in there to provide shelter for the fishes. Soon after, the actual harvest started. The harvest team armed with a long fishing net swept the entire pond from end to end, and from the final outlet, they scooped out the largest quantity of fish I saw for the first time in my life. That was extremely exciting for me being a hinterland person. The variety of fishes from that pond, was another thing that struck me apart from the quantity, it was simply amazing.

After pulling the fishes out, I was told that every one is now free to try their luck if they can find some take-home fishes from the pond. One of the sons of the owner of the pond opted to fish on my behalf, and you cannot imagine what sizes and quantity of fish I went back to the camp with that day. At the time the men were busy getting the fishes, by the right end of the pond the women were busy setting up a makeshift kitchen and a massive drying ramp, and when the fishes were all brought out of the water, the fire of the drying ramp was ready, and the fishes were carried by the women and set on a long row of dying ramp under the heat of the burning coke. Everywhere smelt fish. The evening came to an end after a delicious feast of pounded yam and fish studded yummy Nsala soup, washed down with some of the best ‘Ayigo' – raffia palm-wine. I came home to the camp that day feeling real good, and I slept so deep that I for once didn't bother about the sword mouthed mosquitoes of Nzam. And still the war ragged on.

The next day was a Sunday, you know the saying ‘Lazy like a Sunday morning' or was it a song title? Well, that was how I felt, and did I sleep long and tight? Then suddenly there was some commotion outside, and one thing you learn in a war situation is not to take anything for granted. Whenever you look outside and many people are moving, looking, acting, or talking in a particular manner you have to quickly get out to know what is amiss. It could be an air raid for instance. And this what is called being vigilant. Well, I quickly went out to find out what was going on, and what I found was one big mystery. Some people were digging a toilet pit behind the building, in the process they dug up a life fish from about six feet under the earth. How could that be possible? I was saying something like, no way, this must be a joke. A crowed gathered to observe this miracle. The poor fish was breathing slowly with the eyes still closed. In all the excitement, I suddenly observed that the Nzam indigenes in the crowd were simply having a big laugh out of the whole thing. One of them observed that this is a common thing. It was from him I learnt that this particular specie of mudskipper could survive extreme draught for years, and under the most difficult condition. It goes into an inactive mode until the condition becomes conducive. Years later after the war ended I was reminiscing on my wartime experiences, and the thoughts about this fish crossed my mind. And I found myself saying ‘this is what survival is all about, and Biafra was all about survival, a war of survival of a people, the Igbo people. Then I said to myself, ‘Biafra was that fish, and the fish Biafra, and I further mused ‘A Fish Called Biafra.

Ikechukwu Ude-Chime

{cmp_end}

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/a-fish-called-biafra.html
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by bigfrancis21: 3:43am On Nov 27, 2017
[quote author=Konquest post=62662219][/quote]

I noticed you keep reposting certain quotes, maybe out of your own indulgence or something. In case you don't know, Anambra does not derive from Omambala. It derives from the Anam people, who live close to the Anambra river. The state was originally described by the British as starting from the 'Anam branch' of the river, from whence 'Anam bra' stuck. It may surprise you to know that the Umuleri people call the same river Onwubala. Omambala coming from 'Omaobale' really does not make any sense if you look at it. Omambala as a word itself has meaning in Igbo, if we were to look at it that way, and it means 'beauty of the environment', a beautiful environment which Anambra is even known for.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / Ooni Ogunwusi Blasted For Kneeling In Church / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.