Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,369 members, 7,815,786 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

Your Top Beauty Questions Answered - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Your Top Beauty Questions Answered (7607 Views)

Bukky Wright's Top Beauty Secret / Part 1: Major Make Up Questions Answered By Islamiyyah / Your Problem Has Been Answered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by iice(f): 4:02pm On Mar 17, 2010
~Sissy~:

for those that do braids, do you shampoo your braids?

Yes ooo. . .synthetic and all. Sometimes carry my braid new braids to the beach grin

madlady:

I am toying with the idea of chemically straightening my hair.  undecided
Fed-up of using the tongs on a Sunday night and my hair looking like I have just put my finger in the electric socket by Wednesday.
Does anyone chemically straighten, if yes what products do you use, does it make your hair fall out and finally how long does last before you need to do it again.

I did, though not with relaxer. Have never used that either. I did thermal reconditioning. First time around is easier. 2nd time needs loads of maintenance coz the chemicals dry out the hair. Every 6 to 8 months. Depends on how you work with your roots and how fast your hair grows. Not maintaining it will make it brittle and break. So maybe natural is the way to go if you don't want too much stress. i'm going back to braiding to give the hair a break
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Sissy3(f): 5:43am On Mar 18, 2010
iice:

Yes ooo. . .synthetic and all.  Sometimes carry my braid new braids to the beach grin

slimfine:

@SISSY: YES if I use human hair. if not, the synthetic hair tangles and I really cannot handle that.

doesnt it smell? and doesnt it mess up your braids?
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by iice(f): 9:47am On Mar 18, 2010
~Sissy~:

doesnt it smell? and doesnt it mess up your braids?

Mine doesn't smell with regards to washing it. One has to air it out properly.
As for messing up the braids, it does do that. However i think those who carry braids for only 2 weeks are not in danger of it messing up too quickly. Me, i dey carry my own reach 2 months and i like it better when it starts getting messier than when it's fresh.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by madlady(f): 10:04am On Mar 18, 2010
iice:

As for messing up the braids, it does do that. However i think those who carry braids for only 2 weeks are not in danger of it messing up too quickly. Me, i dey carry my own reach 2 months and i like it better when it starts getting messier than when it's fresh.

Do your braids start to unravel as the time goes on, or do you have them locked off?

When I do my Mother's they unravel as time goes by, she's like you, she likes it like that, she even brushes/combs them loose, to a point.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by iice(f): 10:11am On Mar 18, 2010
madlady:

Do your braids start to unravel as the time goes on, or do you have them locked off?

When I do my Mother's they unravel as time goes by, she's like you, she likes it like that, she even brushes/combs them loose, to a point.

grin grin We are similar. Your mom and I. Before i take off my braids, i loosen it to about an inch and it's like this big mass of hair. Sometimes though, they don't unravel.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by madlady(f): 10:31am On Mar 18, 2010
iice:

grin grin We are similar. Your mom and I. Before i take off my braids, i loosen it to about an inch and it's like this big mass of hair. Sometimes though, they don't unravel.

OK so that's why she does it, she even tongs the loose hair into a bob when she wants a smart look.

Do you know the micro braids takes me 40 hrs to do angry then she brushes it out half way down angry angry angry, if I could slap her I would,
grin grin grin that's a big lie, she would plait a rope and beat me with it.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by iice(f): 10:46am On Mar 18, 2010
I can't sit for micro. I only do medium size to big braids. Too impatient to sit for hours.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Sissy3(f): 12:06pm On Mar 19, 2010
iice:

I can't sit for micro. I only do medium size to big braids. Too impatient to sit for hours.

same here. the long hrs on the seat deters me from doing even individuals most of the time and when you have a head full of hair its a double whammy embarassed embarassed

iice:

that scares me. i use those braids spray instead
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by iice(f): 2:43pm On Mar 19, 2010
How long do you keep your braids? @ Sissy.
My sister uses alcohol (Isopropyl) to clean her scalp.

LOL when i do individuals, even if na big ones, i get 2 people to do it so that they finish fast grin
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Sissy3(f): 10:00pm On Mar 19, 2010
3months but i re-braid the fronts and any other loose ones and use spray. i have heard about the Isopropyl and witch hazel braid cleaning but havent really tried it. the one that i use have many essential oils in it so it helps with the dryness. it also contain anti-itching ingredient and it doesnt cause build-up.

even with two ppl sef, ma own still take long hours that i even pity for those doing it sad. the last time that i did the individuals that i am carrying now, one of the ladies doing it was like 'chaii your hair is still big oo" and thats like after how many hours of doing it. having a long hair and having full hair is not something i always look forward to braiding.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by iice(f): 3:00pm On Mar 20, 2010
Hmmm i keep mine upto that length of time too. Though i don't redo the front. Too lazy grin
Well atleast, no problem of dryness then and flakes. My aunt gave me this spray for braids but never really used it.

Hah. . .i know what you mean. But everytime i think of it, i tell myself. . .you know you get to know fuzz about the hair for months, so the pain is worth it now. Just never for million braids.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Sissy3(f): 7:59am On Mar 21, 2010
yea, the fuzz free about the hair for almost 3-4months makes me to just suck it up. at least thats one more wahala off the list! me and my hair arent exactly the best of friends, our relationship is more "mind your business/love hate" type, hardly have time for her stubbornness and shakara sad embarassed grin

which one is one in a million? never tried it. probably will try twisting after i take off this one.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by iice(f): 10:53am On Mar 21, 2010
We be twins? grin I have the same relationship with my hair.
Million is the micro ones. I don't remember the last time i had twists on. Hmmmm i might do that, hopefully it doesn't unravel after a few weeks.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Tinynita(f): 8:08pm On Mar 21, 2010
Please what type of relaxer can i use for my hair.I've got a very stubborn hair.There is this relaxer i used sometime ago and it changed my hair colour from black 2 brown with a very little shade of black.I've got a very embarassing itchy scalp,what should i do 2 reduce it?[color=#770077][/color]

Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Sissy3(f): 10:30pm On Mar 21, 2010
iice:

We be twins? grin I have the same relationship with my hair. 
Million is the micro ones.  I don't remember the last time i had twists on.  Hmmmm i might do that, hopefully it doesn't unravel after a few weeks.

Lol. sometimes i see all this list of what people do to their hair and am like they must have really enough time and commitment.  my hair and i, understand that no one have time for each other, so she behaves grin grin

nah . . .havent tried it but have about it quite alot. since you said it takes longer hrs to finish its already off my list!  grin

this will be actually my first time trying twisting, so it unravels that early? i wanted to try the short ones but my length has passed it, so am probably going for senegalese twist hoping it wouldnt take too much time to finish embarassed embarassed
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by iice(f): 4:23pm On Mar 22, 2010
Tinynita:

Please what type of relaxer can i use for my hair.I've got a very stubborn hair.There is this relaxer i used sometime ago and it changed my hair colour from black 2  brown with a very little shade of black.I've got a very embarassing itchy scalp,what should i do 2 reduce it?

I don't know about the relaxer.  But putting chemicals on the hair usually changes the color especially with sun rays.  Itchy scalp? Flaky? or just itchy?

@Sissy,
What's senegalese braids like? With regards to twisting, some people's own last long. . .mine doesn't last as long plus i wash my hair with the extensions so that aids the unraveling process.  Hehehe i remember one time i wanted to do braids up to my chin. . kinda like a bob cut.  I chopped off my hair just to do it lol.  I like doing the bob one coz it's short so doesn't take so long.  Right now though, like you. . .my hair is longer than that, so i will have to do something else till i get tired and chop off the hair.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Sissy3(f): 11:09pm On Mar 22, 2010
@Sissy,
What's senegalese braids like? With regards to twisting, some people's own last long. . .mine doesn't last as long plus i wash my hair with the extensions so that aids the unraveling process.  Hehehe i remember one time i wanted to do braids up to my chin. . kinda like a bob cut.  I chopped off my hair just to do it lol.  I like doing the bob one coz it's short so doesn't take so long.  Right now though, like you. . .my hair is longer than that, so i will have to do something else till i get tired and chop off the hair.[/color]

LOL chai! you get liver oo grin i dont have enough liver or kidney to cut my hair just for a hairstyle. even though i sometimes have longer throat embarassed for all this sassy short hairstyles and  wish i could just cut my hair and have it but i havent grown enough liver for those sharp scissor! a friend has shorter hair and when she braids it, it takes less time and am like can we exchange hair after the braiding you have urs back embarassed

here is a pic of ST. if i find another style i might change my mind undecided

[img]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_C86od0VS0gA/ScmyZHXyraI/AAAAAAAABNk/akWLL2YpVOY/hair_braiding-_(7).jpg[/img]

Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by shilling(f): 4:20am On Mar 23, 2010
palebobe:

Hi ladies, am having a slgght problem. I just started using TARA compreesed powder and i must admit, its gd. D only snag i ave abt it is dat, afta 2hrs, your face becomes so oily. Does any1 have any idea of wat to do to remedy dis situation. Tnx a mill

You could try using an oil free primer before wearing your makeup., or even using a toner after you wash your face in the morning, before applying makeup.

Tinynita:

Please what type of relaxer can i use for my hair.I've got a very stubborn hair.There is this relaxer i used sometime ago and it changed my hair colour from black 2 brown with a very little shade of black.I've got a very embarassing itchy scalp,what should i do 2 reduce it?[color=#770077][/color]
My siblings and I have really thick coarse hair and we all use relaxers on our hair, and it's still super black and thick, I'll suggest using Dark and Lovely in Normal. We ought to use super cos we have coarse hair, but we don't want to over-relax our hair. I guess you already know this, but when you relax your hair, you don't want to make it too soft, just relax it to make it easy to comb, etc.

~Sissy~:

for those that do braids, do you shampoo your braids?
I have the "touch and drop" braids on since Dec 27th or so, got them done in Botswana, the chic who did 'em was crazy good and it still looks super new - will probably have 'em in till sometime in Summer (May maybe). I don't wash it completely cos I'm scared that it'll ruin it and make my hair start showing. I wash my scalp and roots, just to avoid any build up, and I moisturize my scalp and edges with coconut oil everyday.

Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Nobody: 9:20am On Mar 23, 2010
Tinynita:

Elasta QP is excellent. I had really good results when I used it about a two months ago. (check my attach photo and see the result the butterfly on my face is to hide my face LOL)  I would also recommend Organic Root Stimulator Relaxer. The conditioner is GREAT, and they really had some great tips to protect your hair during the process, plus I loved all of the products that came with it. Good luck.

Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by iice(f): 2:43pm On Mar 23, 2010
~Sissy~:

@Sissy,
LOL chai! you get liver oo grin i dont have enough liver or kidney to cut my hair just for a hairstyle. even though i sometimes have longer throat embarassed for all this sassy short hairstyles and  wish i could just cut my hair and have it but i havent grown enough liver for those sharp scissor! a friend has shorter hair and when she braids it, it takes less time and am like can we exchange hair after the braiding you have urs back embarassed

here is a pic of ST. if i find another style i might change my mind undecided

Sissy, thanks alot! smiley Is there a difference from regular twisting? Coz they look the same to my eye undecided embarassed
Hehehe i have a habit of chopping off my hair. I remember in secondary school. One summer like that, the heat was killing me, told one of my friends to chop it off to like my jaw line. My best friend vex for me eh, she was crying why i cut the hair. When my mom came to visit me, i received some lectures which blah blah. . .didn't faze me.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 23, 2010
iice:

Sissy, thanks alot! smiley Is there a difference from regular twisting? Coz they look the same to my eye undecided embarassed
Hehehe i have a habit of chopping off my hair. I remember in secondary school. One summer like that, the heat was killing me, told one of my friends to chop it off to like my jaw line. My best friend vex for me eh, she was crying why i cut the hair. When my mom came to visit me, i received some lectures which blah blah. . .didn't faze me.

Seems your hair grows fast that's why you can chop it off at the drop of a hat. shocked cheesy Or maybe you don't really care about long hair. tongue We are parallel lines. tongue
Short hair doesn't suit me at all. For me the longer and fuller, the better. cool tongue
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by iice(f): 4:20am On Mar 24, 2010
stillwater:

Seems your hair grows fast that's why you can chop it off at the drop of a hat. shocked cheesy Or maybe you don't really care about long hair. tongue We are parallel lines. tongue
Short hair doesn't suit me at all. For me the longer and fuller, the better. cool tongue

Both. It grows fast and i don't really care if it's long or not. Except sometimes when i want to grow it then it seems like it takes forever undecided
LOL long hair is a hassle, even if it's just synthetic. I used to braid hair upto my bum. Aswerigawd eh angry grin, the hair will be all over the place, getting in the way tongue
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Sissy3(f): 6:51am On Mar 24, 2010
iice:

Sissy, thanks alot! smiley Is there a difference from regular twisting?  Coz they look the same to my eye undecided embarassed
Hehehe i have a habit of chopping off my hair.  I remember in secondary school.  One summer like that, the heat was killing me, told one of my friends to chop it off to like my jaw line.  My best friend vex for me eh, she was crying why i cut the hair.  When my mom came to visit me, i received some lectures which blah blah. . .didn't faze me. 

no problem dear.  i dont think theres a difference between them, just the names people assign to them. Lol, you really have enough liver shocked shocked shocked

@ rokiatu

lovely hair you got there!
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by palebobe(f): 7:03am On Mar 24, 2010
@shilling, tnx. Do u have anyone in mind for me to try? Affordable ones here in Nigeria.
Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by shilling(f): 7:38am On Mar 24, 2010
I can't help you there, sorry. But, I'm sure the people who you buy makeup from will be able to suggest a good primer/toner. I use Rimmel Fix and Perfect, and the Clinique 3 step - have no idea how much it costs in Nigeria. My face isn't too oily though, but the Rimmel primer doesn't make it any less oily, it just makes my makeup stay in place all day. I have to powder my nose a couple of times a day.

If your face is really oily, why don't you change your makeup? I used Revlon Color Stay Mineral Foundation for a while, it's oil free and trust me, it's good. It doesn't make me look as flawless as clinique, but my face hardly ever got oily the whole day, at most one touch up, and that's it. My bro made comments about how oil free my face looked. That's a really good product - it also lasts forever  wink

I guess that's one product I'll recommend, and a toner of course. Revlon is everywhere, so I'm guessing you'll be able to get it.

Re: Your Top Beauty Questions Answered by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 09, 2018
For those who want to give volume or curl to their hair, you want to use hairspray for that. Here's a post you can check out on
best hairsprays to hold your hair

But, when using hairsprays, make sure it doesn't reach your hairline.

This is particularly necessary for people with sensitive sking types.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Damiete Granville For Miss World 2012 / Strictly For Sneakers Lovers... Come In!! / Best Market For First Grade Gbogbo(okrika) In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.