Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,155 members, 7,835,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men (1612 Views)

President Buhari Orders Investigation Into Benue Killings / FG Orders Issuance Of Single Identification Numbers For Citizens / Saraki Orders The Investigation Of Umar, CCT Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by lawry: 7:01pm On Nov 09, 2008
President Umaru Yar’Adua has directed the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Marshall, Paul Dike, to immediately investigate the incident which led to the beating up in Lagos of a young lady by naval ratings said to be attached to Rear Admiral Harry Arogundade.

Sunday Sun learnt the president was very upset by the incident in which the lady, Miss Uzoma Okere, was reportedly beaten up and stripped naked by the military personnel for allegedly obstructing the admiral’s convoy. The President asked that the report of the investigation be made available to him at the earliest possible time.

Sunday Sun learnt that the president was so saddened by the incident that he vowed that the culprits would not go unpunished to serve as a deterrent to others, expressing disappointment that more than nine years into out democracy, some people were still living in the past.
Describing the development as unacceptable, Yar’Adua was quoted as saying that his administration would not tolerate a situation where some individuals would brutalize their fellow citizens in the name of wielding authority.

He said such an attitude and practice would not have a place in today’s Nigeria.
Since the inception of the present administration, the emphasis has been on the rule of law and order in the society.

When he was contacted on the development, Presidential spokesman, Mr. Olusegun Adeniyi confirmed it, pointing out that whatever action Yar’Adua takes on the issue would be dependent on the outcome of the investigation by the Chief of Defence Staff.

The Senate Committee on Navy had three days ago asked the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Isaiah Ibrahim to explain to the upper legislative chambers why armed naval ratings would assault the victim who was identified as the daughter of the Sergeant-At-Arms of the National Assembly, Col. Emmanuel Okere (Rtd).

The incident which took place on Okunola Street, Victoria Island, Lagos, attracted the anger of prominent Nigerians, including Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka and civil society groups who demanded the trial of the culprits.
Meanwhile, the civil rights community has called on Rear Admiral Arogundade to publicly apologise to Miss Okeren.
The groups also recommended that an appropriate disciplinary action be taken against the officer and gentleman and his ratings for arrogant abuse of power, rank and position to serve as a deterrent to other high-ranking public officials who constantly abuse power and their position.

At a joint press conference addressed by Josephine Effah-Chukwuma, Executive Director, Project Alert on Violence Against Women, on behalf of the civil rights groups, they said it was not the first time high ranking public officials would, through their overzealous aides, unleash terror on Nigerians.
The groups cited the case of the physical assault of a woman and her two children by the convoy of the Imo State governor on Alfred Rewane Road, Ikoyi, Lagos and noted that after hitting the woman’s car, the governor’s orderlies, clad in suit, came out of the pilot car, slapped the woman repeatedly in front of her children, slammed the car door against her arm and drove off.

“Even if constitutionally, Nigerian road users are expected to give way to the sirens of certain categories of public office holders, military ranks and emergency service providers, must they be hounded, harassed and physically assaulted?” The group wondered, adding that with the bad roads and traffic situation in a city like Lagos, it was not possible for drivers to immediately park off the road on hearing a siren.

The groups hailed the Lagos State governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola, who on assumption of office, called for caution in the senseless use of siren by public officials and private citizen, adding that the government should go a step further by making a legislation regulating the use of siren.
While calling for an end to such acts of executive lawlessness and public assault on Nigerians and women in particular, the groups said they would consider taking a legal action to drive home their position if action was not taken now.

It would be recalled that a lady, Uzoma Okere was physically assaulted by naval ratings while the officer, Rear Admiral Arogundade watched on her way back from work on Monday for not parking her car off the road for the convoy of the Rear Admiral.
The beatings resulted in the young lady being hospitalized.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2008/nov/09/national-09-11-2008-003.htm
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by Gamine(f): 7:06pm On Nov 09, 2008
Which Investigation?

ROTFLMAO!!!

When will Nigeria get Her priorities RIGHT!!!
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by oderemo(m): 7:15pm On Nov 09, 2008
you r right my broda, the whole country is rotten from foundation, when senators and ordinary local govt.chairman harass market women everyday stripping them of there rights daily. come to egbeda in lagos and the suburbs, they don't need 2 be naked b4 we stand up and CHANGE this country of ours.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by annyplenty(m): 7:39pm On Nov 09, 2008
the president has just taken a step in the right direction. he can not act without investigating what happened. even at court of law investigation will be carried out. My prayer is just that the investigation will be timely and not be influenced because JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by lawry: 7:50pm On Nov 09, 2008
if this matter is handle as the president say then democracy has taking place for the first time
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by grafikdon: 2:15am On Nov 10, 2008
Gamine:

Which Investigation?

ROTFLMAO!!!

When will Nigeria get Her priorities RIGHT!!!

Gamine, are you trying to be a comedian? Is your reasoning impaired by a substance that was not meant for your system? You seem to brush this issue over your shoulder like it does not matter; are you waiting for your sister/cousin/aunt to be in the line of fire before you realize that no woman should be treated like an animal and horsewhipped by brain dead imbeciles for no apparent reason? Is that really hard to understand?
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by Nobody: 5:45am On Nov 10, 2008
grafikdon:

Gamine, are you trying to be a comedian? Is your reasoning impaired by a substance that was not meant for your system? You seem to brush this issue over your shoulder like it does not matter; are you waiting for your sister/cousin/aunt to be in the line of fire before you realize that no woman should be treated like an animal and horsewhipped by brain dead imbeciles for no apparent reason? Is that really hard to understand?

Its a pity you were expecting a hardcore nigerian tribalist to understand this situation.
Though the victim was female and the incident was massive and continuous insult on women in nigeria; but being Igbo automatically disqualifies her from any support from any other tribe in nigeria.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by RichyBlacK(m): 9:38am On Nov 10, 2008
grafikdon:

Gamine, are you trying to be a comedian? Is your reasoning impaired by  a substance that was not meant for your system? You seem to brush this issue over your shoulder like it does not matter; are you waiting for your sister/cousin/aunt to be in the line of fire before you realize that no woman should be treated like an animal and horsewhipped by brain dead  imbeciles for no apparent reason? Is that really hard to understand? 

My problem with many Nigerians is that I don't see how all the mosque/church attendance is having any positive impact. Nigerian Muslims/Christians are fiercely religious, only on Friday afternoons/Sunday mornings. If every religious Nigerian implemented 50% of their religious teachings, Nigeria will be a better place. The miscreants who beat up on poor Uzoma Okere would not have done so if they practiced what they've learned in church or in mosque. 

Are there too many hypocrites in Nigeria?
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by Gaminechic: 9:50am On Nov 10, 2008
Grafikdon, i respect you,

Thats why i will seek to clarify myself.

I do not condone what happened

Neither do i Condone the steps taken to resolve this.

This matter is a court case, i dont see the need for "investigation"

Whats to be investigated there, this is just another way to make money for some people.

@Nuzo,

And i thought stupidity didnt come cheap

You want to add Tribe to the matter? fool.

i just wonder how three lines of statement could be interpreted as all i see

its Nairaland, if im not mistaken

People will miscontrue and be miscontrued
undecided undecided
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by Livvvvy(f): 10:21am On Nov 10, 2008
There is no need for insults here.
@Gaminechic
I see your point. Why the investigation. What are they investigating?
Is it not obvious with the evidence on ground that the event took place. Or did Okere turned against them with an AK47 killing everyone there? what else do they want to know?

All these investigations is to waste maximum amount of time, stop us the public from knowing the end of the story, and then making the whole issue look as if it never happened.

This thing should be taken to court, while those involved, the NN boss and his ratings, and the Okere (poor girl) should appear in court to say their side of the story.
And then judgment should be given, this is how i see it.

when such a thing happens, it will cautions other millitary guys from taking law into their hands.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 10, 2008
Gaminechic:

Grafikdon, i respect you,

Thats why i will seek to clarify myself.

I do not condone what happened

Neither do i Condone the steps taken to resolve this.

This matter is a court case, i don't see the need for "investigation"

Whats to be investigated there, this is just another way to make money for some people.

@Nuzo,

And i thought stupidity didnt come cheap

You want to add Tribe to the matter? fool.

i just wonder how three lines of statement could be interpreted as all i see

its Nairaland, if I'm not mistaken

People will miscontrue and be miscontrued
undecided undecided

I can see that you are trying so hard to disclaim your true hypocritical image and crude hatred for the Igbos. It may work for now, but it wont work for a long time because a leopard never changes his spots.

Stay cool.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by dayokanu(m): 4:02pm On Nov 10, 2008
How did Tribalism or Igbo get into this topic now?
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 10, 2008
You will clearly see it sooner or later. nigerians cant fool me any more.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by Gaminechic: 7:14pm On Nov 10, 2008
Nuzo,

I suggest you seek help for the paranoic trauma/condition which terribly ravages you. embarassed

Im sure the country where you are, has such clinics. embarassed
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by brownbonno(m): 11:06pm On Nov 10, 2008
What Is the Nigeria judiciary meant for ?If Nigerians are so patriotic to this nation why have they not come out en mass to call against the war in Niger delta.The JTF are killing poor people by the day there, we are here protecting the oligarch.
@Nuzo,
You are been tribalistic here,If the girl in question was from another tribe  i am sure the news will not gain such a headline.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by Okijajuju1(m): 11:28pm On Nov 10, 2008
I never knew the H5N1 virus a.k.a birdflu could affect someone this bad.

I think what Nuzo is tryinf to say is that the Naval ratings were Hausa men, and they flogged the woman because she was Igbo. (Dont ask me, I am only trying to find a rational excuse for the dude.)

My Nuzo

You dont have to reply every post, especially those you cant comprehend.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by RichyBlacK(m): 11:50pm On Nov 10, 2008
Okija_juju:

I never knew the H5N1 virus a.k.a birdflu could affect someone this bad.

I think what Nuzo is tryinf to say is that the Naval ratings were Hausa men, and they flogged the woman because she was Igbo. (don't ask me, I am only trying to find a rational excuse for the dude.)     

My Nuzo

You don't have to reply every post, especially those you can't comprehend.

But wait o, before we bury nuzo, would those illiterate monkeys in uniform have beaten an Aminat Tanko Ayuba (from Kano) in sparkling white hijab?

Just asking a question.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by naijaway(m): 12:45am On Nov 11, 2008
This is a very sad incident that many of its kind seem to always occur in the streets of Nigeria. There is absolutely no respect and regard for anyone. I think alot of emphasis need to be focused on trainning and technology cuz if every unit had a form of detection that monitors sound and visuals with the headquaters having a way of retrieving records; I bet u things would have been different. Trainning is important matter of fact very important and yes there would be loopholes but things would be smarter. How would we have no jobs when there are chances for jobs like those who would install, maintain, be the ladies lawyer or anyone in need etc.
Nigeria has to have standards in many fields and social lives. Look at this incident that is really absurd. This are the kinds of things people see and wonder. If this were a white treating a person like this it would be called racism but it is the same kind of race treating themselves like this. This has to stop and the Nigerian police, military, naval, airforce etc need new standards that doesn't have to be like the richest of cuntries but also comparable. Our forces need to have educational background before enrolling or after enrolling that also emphasises on community enlightment.
May God help this hindered great nation called Nigeria. Amen.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by dayokanu(m): 3:17am On Nov 11, 2008
@Richy,
The uniformed men would not have asked her for her name before they descended on her She could be a non Hijab wearing Northerner.
The daughter of Yakubu Gowon, Ishaya Bamaiyi, Jeremiah Useni, Joshua Dogonyaro, Theophilus Danjuma, John Shagaya, Domkat Bali, Patrick Aziza etc

WHat tells you that the Uniformed men are not Yoruba or Igbos? Because most Naval officers are from the South. You would be suprised that they are from Uzoma's village!!! If they are, they would beat any Amina, Husseina, Hadiza or Memuna to a pulp.

Uniformed men are all animals. Dont tell me the policemen that harrass people In Nnewi, Lagos, Akure, Onitsha, Calabar, port-Harcourt and all over Nigeria are all Hausas!!!!
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by Nobody: 5:11am On Nov 11, 2008
It so sad that dumb nigerians like playing the ostrich when situation like this arises.
I wasnt referring to the beastly uniformed harry as the tribalist, i was simply referring to gamine of a woman who posted this comment:

I think this case is being Exaggerated jo

There are worse things happening that need the Presidents attention

So they dragged her cloths, na today?

did they beat her sef?

i didnt see any beating in that video

She made this statement despite the fact that the assaulted was a lady like her. Now, would she have made this statement if the victim was Yoruba?
I can excuse any other person, but not for this woman called gamine. We know her too well and that was why i quickly pointed out her plans as soon as she tried to write off the investigation.

By the way, i do not in anyway have a problem with nigerians being so hateful towards other tribes since its part of their miserable lives, it only bothers me when people try to deny it when caught at it. That is what gamine is doing exactly
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by RichyBlacK(m): 3:12pm On Nov 11, 2008
dayokanu:

@Richy,
The uniformed men would not have asked her for her name before they descended on her She could be a non Hijab wearing Northerner.
The daughter of Yakubu Gowon, Ishaya Bamaiyi, Jeremiah Useni, Joshua Dogonyaro, Theophilus Danjuma, John Shagaya, Domkat Bali, Patrick Aziza etc

WHat tells you that the Uniformed men are not Yoruba or Igbos? Because most Naval officers are from the South. You would be suprised that they are from Uzoma's village!!! If they are, they would beat any Amina, Husseina, Hadiza or Memuna to a pulp.

Uniformed men are all animals. don't tell me the policemen that harrass people In Nnewi, Lagos, Akure, Onitsha, Calabar, port-Harcourt and all over Nigeria are all Hausas!!!!

I hear you. Thanks.
Re: Okere Saga: Fg Orders Investigation Of Naval Men by okunoba(m): 3:25am On Nov 12, 2008
Nuzo, there is no reason to bring ethnic issue into it. Biko , the world doesn`t hate Ibo`s. gemime`s defence of the naval officers is obviously based on our culture of violence. We believe in the use of force to solve issues. U see it at schools ,on the streets, at home, almost everywhere there is violence. We as a people have grown to accept it as every day life. Gemime was probably physically abused as a child, as must Nigerian kids. If this is the case, then it only follows that abuse won`t  be a big deal to her. How many ogas beat their drivers and staff? Nigeria is all about "power show"

(1) (Reply)

Fight To Finish: Dangote, Otedola Shun Peace Meeting By Obj / Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. / Bukola Saraki To Launch 2011 Policy Document

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.