Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,121 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:22 AM

Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. (1615 Views)

PDP Senators Walk Out As Senate Confirms Amaechi As Minister (Photos) / Wike & Tambuwal Smile At Body Of Benchers Today In Abuja(Pics) / APC 'walk for change' in Osun state..........................Update (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by Toludo(m): 7:38pm On Oct 19, 2009
Over 7,000 members of Daystar Christian Centre, marched to the Lagos State governor’s office this morning protesting epileptic power supply in the country.

The peaceful protest was led by the Senior Pastor of the church, Rev. Sam Adeyemi, accompanied by the executive director of The Punch Newspapers, Mr. Azubuike Ishiekwene and Pastor Nike Adeyemi, wife of the Daystar pastor.

The protesters marched from the church’s headquarters, Ikosi Road, through Oregun Road to Obafemi Awolowo Way down to the Lagos State Governor’s Office at Alausa.

The protesters, wore white and green T-shirts with the inscription, Let There Be Light at the front and Walk For Light at the back. Drumming and singing, the protesters called on the Federal Government to make the power sector stable, so that generator merchants do not suck Nigerians dry while smiling to the bank.

There was a mild traffic gridlock as the protesters marched through Ikosi and Awolowo Way.

According to Pastor Adeyemi, the walk against epileptic power supply is the first in the series of advocacy activities aimed at restoring the nation to the path of dignity.

“The walk for light event is aimed at creating a platform for Nigerians to demand sustainable solution to our lingering electricity problems. “Nigeria’s 49th Independence anniversary provided an opportunity to conduct a critical check on our nation with a view to speaking out on what has become a life-threatening sore point in our national life,” he said.

Adeyemi called on the FG to break the monopoly of PHCN and allow private investors and state governments to generate and distribute electricity, adding that the strategy that worked for telecommunications should be made to work for power supply.

He stated that if there was no limit to the number of pole lines a telecommunication company should generate, there should be no limit to the volume of power a company should generate and distribute in the country.

“We are calling on importers of generating sets and diesel, who have graciously helped to provide relief through their products, to support this call and to subsequently divert their investment into power generation and distribution.

“We are also calling on the executive and legislative arms of government at local, state and federal levels to show compassion for Nigeria, demonstrate leadership quality and facilitate the breaking up of the PHCN monopoly.

“We are calling on all Nigerians involved in the generation, distribution and consumption of electricity to accept honesty as a national standard and as a way of life, and so stop all forms of deep-cutting in the award and execution of contracts,” he stated.

http://thepmnews.com/2009/10/19/daystar-protests-epileptic-power-supply

more info on http://lettherebelightng.org
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by Kobojunkie: 7:41pm On Oct 19, 2009
Now that is what Churches ought to get involved in, in that country. Praise the Lord!! grin
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by chic2pimp(m): 8:24pm On Oct 19, 2009
Bishop Adejale,Bishop Tuberculosis & co where una dey oooo?

I never see una for dis kain ting but if nah to theif person money i'm sure una go dey dia.
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by keyremotes(m): 8:44pm On Oct 19, 2009
Boy, I heard it was huge success.
This is the begining of a new move.
I bet we are going to see alot more of this.
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by puskin: 9:10pm On Oct 19, 2009
Up Daystar.
More churches should join this noble initiative that might spark up a revolution.
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by keyremotes(m): 9:25pm On Oct 19, 2009
puskin:

Up Daystar.
More churches should join this noble initiative that might spark up a revolution.
You bet bro. They had it coming for them.
Revolution is around the corner.

It's time to kick those IDIOTS in power out and let real honorable people stere the ship of the Nigerian state.
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by bawomolo(m): 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2009
chic2pimp:

Bishop Adejale,Bishop Tuberculosis & co where una dey oooo?

I never see una for dis kain ting but if nah to theif person money i'm sure una go dey dia.

they are too busy making vague prophecies. there is no money in social disobedience.
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by keyremotes(m): 10:20pm On Oct 19, 2009
I SUGGEST WE ALL REFUSE TO PAY PHCN BILLS.
THEN WE WILL SEE WHAT THEY WILL DO WHEN THE WHOLE COUNTRY HAS DECIDED TO TAKE THEIR DESTINIES IN THEIR HANDS.
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by deor03(m): 10:29pm On Oct 19, 2009
keyremotes:

I SUGGEST WE ALL REFUSE TO PAY PHCN BILLS.
THEN WE WILL SEE WHAT THEY WILL DO WHEN THE WHOLE COUNTRY HAS DECIDED TO TAKE THEIR DESTINIES IN THEIR HANDS.

Good one, we could collapse the company called PHCN for good.

Power should be run like a REAL business
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by pcicero(m): 11:13pm On Oct 19, 2009
A noble initiative, worthy of commendation.
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by zuuby(m): 8:05am On Oct 20, 2009
God bless daystar church and all it's members
Re: Daystar "walk For Light" Initiative Today In Lagos. by folem: 9:38am On Oct 20, 2009
The NLC should be championing this kind of protest but no , it is not Petrol price.

NLC don't strike when there is increment in Kerosene, Jet fuel, Diesel, Cooking Gas etc but if there is a 20 Kobo increment in Petrol pump price then STRIKE beckons.

I'm sure if the NLC was as concerned about the Power situation in Nigeria like Daystar , we would not be in a situation we are in now where companies are relocating to Ghana because of lack of power.

(1) (Reply)

If You Had The Power, Who Would You Make President Today? / Bukola Saraki To Launch 2011 Policy Document / ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's (Unification)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.