Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately (8545 Views)

What Do You Think About This Cv/resume Format? / Heritage Bank Nationwide Cv/resume Submission / CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 12:07pm On Oct 06, 2014
The trick to writing a great resume that stands out
from the gigantic stack of resumes hiring managers
receive from job applicants is to look at it through an unbiased lens. You need to make a conscious effort to delete the clutter, and chances are at least 20% of the content in your resume is useless clutter. By cutting the clutter, your resume will be stronger and more effective.
Following are 10 things you should delete from your
resume immediately. By omitting these elements,
your resume will have a significantly better chance of resonating with hiring managers.

1. An Objective Statement
There was a time when every resume began with an
objective statement. Today, these subjective
statements are little more than fluff that steal space
from compelling content.

2. Personal Details
Not only do personal details take away valuable
space where you could include useful details about
your work experience, but they also look
unprofessional. In fact, personal details can do more harm than good in terms of landing an interview. If your resume includes details about how many kids you have, where you grew up, your marital status, your religion, your age, or any other extraneous personal details, delete them right now. Keep in mind, hiring managers aren’t allowed to ask you much of this personal information during the
interview process because it could be considered
discriminatory. Therefore, these personal details
have no place on a professional resume.

3. Personal Interests
Personal interests should never appear on a resume. They steal valuable real estate and are unlikely to have any relevance to a hiring manager. In other words, hiring managers shouldn’t care if you like cooking, fishing, basketball, sewing, or any other hobby. A resume should include work-related
content, not personal content.

4. Basic Skills and Obvious Information
Unless a job description specifically mentions basic
skills like typing, email, and so on, you shouldn’t
include them on your resume. Furthermore, leave
out obvious information that steals space from
important information. For example, the commonly
used statement telling hiring managers that
references are available upon request is obvious and unnecessary.

5. Your Picture
A resume should never include a picture of yourself. It makes your resume look unprofessional. If your picture is included anywhere on your resume, delete it now.

6. Every Job You’ve Ever Had
Unless that babysitting job you had in high school is
extremely relevant to the job you’re applying for now, leave it off of your resume. Always tailor the content of your resume to the specific job you’re applying for. Your goal should be to show the hiring manager that you can do the job. Don’t tell them your life story. No one cares about unrelated jobs that you’ve had throughout your life, but they will care if important details related to the job they need to fill are not on your resume.

7. Extras You Were Not Asked For
Hiring managers are busy people. If they ask you to
send a resume and cover letter, send those two
documents and nothing additional. You might be
tempted to include copies of recommendation
letters, performance reports, transcripts, and other
documents that support how wonderful you are, but that extra documentation is unlikely to help you.
First, sending extraneous documents tells a hiring
manager that you cannot follow directions. Second, it shows a hiring manager that you’re incapable of
succinctly showing them that you can do the job
within your resume. Third, extra documentation is
overwhelming and adds more clutter for a hiring
manager to dig through. If you take the time to create an amazing resume, you won’t need to include all of that extra documentation. Your resume will pique the hiring manager’s interest so much that she’ll want to meet with you where you can share all of the additional information about yourself.

8. Too Many Contact Options
You’re popular and busy. You want to make sure that a hiring manager can contact you at a moment’s notice. While that’s very understandable, you should never clutter your resume with a list of contact options. Instead, demonstrate to hiring managers that you can make a decision by choosing one phone number and one email address to include at the top of your resume. It only takes a second for a hiring manager to get frustrated and develop a subconscious negative perception of your resume when she is presented with a long list of contact options and can’t figure out which one to use. Don’t annoy hiring managers. Instead, make it as easy as possible for them to contact you. Believe it or not, they know you might not answer your phone and might have to call them back.

9. Long-winded Descriptions
Remember, hiring managers are very busy and
typically have stacks of resumes to review when they have a job to fill. They won’t read through long
paragraphs of text describing your experience, so
keep your content short and sweet. Use bullet points and action words. Don’t include subjective
assessments of your work. Instead, show hiring
managers what you’ve done with quantifiable
examples that demonstrate your abilities.

10. Mistakes
This might seem like an obvious thing to omit from
your resume, but the number of resumes hiring
managers look at on a daily basis that include
mistakes is very high. Review your resume for
spelling, grammar, and formatting mistakes, and
then review it again. Use spell check. Read it
backwards, and read it out loud. Take a break and
read it again. Furthermore, you should never rely
solely on proofreading your own work because you
won’t catch all of the errors. With that in mind, be
sure to give your resume to at least three other
people to review too.

Source: positivezeal.com/topic/37210-10-things-to-delete-from-your-resume-immediately/

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by yommyphresh(m): 12:20pm On Oct 06, 2014
Thanks
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by zizytd(m): 12:24pm On Oct 06, 2014
Weldone
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by bams01: 12:57pm On Oct 06, 2014
lrguru:
The trick to writing a great resume that stands out
from the gigantic stack of resumes hiring managers
receive from job applicants is to look at it through an unbiased lens. You need to make a conscious effort to delete the clutter, and chances are at least 20% of the content in your resume is useless clutter. By cutting the clutter, your resume will be stronger and more effective.
Following are 10 things you should delete from your
resume immediately. By omitting these elements,
your resume will have a significantly better chance of resonating with hiring managers.

1. An Objective Statement
There was a time when every resume began with an
objective statement. Today, these subjective
statements are little more than fluff that steal space
from compelling content.

2. Personal Details
unprofessional. In fact, personal details can do more harm than good in terms of landing an interview. If your resume includes details about how many kids you have, where you grew up, your marital status, your religion, your age, or any other extraneous personal details, delete them right now. Keep in mind, hiring managers aren’t allowed to ask you much of this personal information during the
discriminatory. Therefore, these personal details

3. Personal Interests
Personal interests should never appear on a resume. They steal valuable real estate and are unlikely to have any relevance to a hiring manager. In other words, hiring managers shouldn’t care if you like cooking, fishing, basketball, sewing, or any other hobby. A resume should include work-related
content, not personal content.

4. Basic Skills and Obvious Information
Unless a job description specifically mentions basic
skills like typing, email, and so on, you shouldn’t
include them on your resume. Furthermore, leave
out obvious information that steals space from
important information. For example, the commonly
used statement telling hiring managers that
references are available upon request is obvious and unnecessary.

5. Your Picture
A resume should never include a picture of yourself. It makes your resume look unprofessional. If your picture is included anywhere on your resume, delete it now.

6. Every Job You’ve Ever Had
Unless that babysitting job you had in high school is
extremely relevant to the job you’re applying for now, leave it off of your resume. Always tailor the content of your resume to the specific job you’re applying for. Your goal should be to show the hiring manager that you can do the job. Don’t tell them your life story. No one cares about unrelated jobs that you’ve had throughout your life, but they will care if important details related to the job they need to fill are not on your resume.

7. Extras You Were Not Asked For
Hiring managers are busy people. If they ask you to
send a resume and cover letter, send those two
documents and nothing additional. You might be
tempted to include copies of recommendation
letters, performance reports, transcripts, and other
documents that support how wonderful you are, but that extra documentation is unlikely to help you.
First, sending extraneous documents tells a hiring
manager that you cannot follow directions. Second, it shows a hiring manager that you’re incapable of
succinctly showing them that you can do the job
within your resume. Third, extra documentation is
overwhelming and adds more clutter for a hiring
manager to dig through. If you take the time to create an amazing resume, you won’t need to include all of that extra documentation. Your resume will pique the hiring manager’s interest so much that she’ll want to meet with you where you can share all of the additional information about yourself.

8. Too Many Contact Options
You’re popular and busy. You want to make sure that a hiring manager can contact you at a moment’s notice. While that’s very understandable, you should never clutter your resume with a list of contact options. Instead, demonstrate to hiring managers that you can make a decision by choosing one phone number and one email address to include at the top of your resume. It only takes a second for a hiring manager to get frustrated and develop a subconscious negative perception of your resume when she is presented with a long list of contact options and can’t figure out which one to use. Don’t annoy hiring managers. Instead, make it as easy as possible for them to contact you. Believe it or not, they know you might not answer your phone and might have to call them back.

9. Long-winded Descriptions
Remember, hiring managers are very busy and
typically have stacks of resumes to review when they have a job to fill. They won’t read through long
paragraphs of text describing your experience, so
keep your content short and sweet. Use bullet points and action words. Don’t include subjective
assessments of your work. Instead, show hiring
managers what you’ve done with quantifiable
examples that demonstrate your abilities.

10. Mistakes
This might seem like an obvious thing to omit from
your resume, but the number of resumes hiring
managers look at on a daily basis that include
mistakes is very high. Review your resume for
spelling, grammar, and formatting mistakes, and
then review it again. Use spell check. Read it
backwards, and read it out loud. Take a break and
read it again. Furthermore, you should never rely
solely on proofreading your own work because you
won’t catch all of the errors. With that in mind, be
sure to give your resume to at least three other
people to review too.

Source: positivezeal.com/topic/37210-10-things-to-delete-from-your-resume-immediately/

I have always advised people to fill their CV with the relevant items that will sell them to their prospective employers. If your CV is above two pages as a graduate, then you are on a long thing because most people do not have the time nor the patience to go through a lenghty CV that contains fluff.
Just my two kobo
To read more visit [url="http://www.ejobsnigeria.com"] to read more about how to write your CV and business ideas[/url]

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 06, 2014
yommyphresh:
Thanks
u welcome
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 06, 2014
zizytd:
Weldone
yea
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Evergreen4(m): 2:43pm On Oct 06, 2014
Please op, can u help me re-write my cv, I don't get job invite, just wondering if the problem is from my cv
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by ruem: 2:50pm On Oct 06, 2014
nice one op, too many cv tips this days but i've not seen any on business idea/plan.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 06, 2014
God bless d Op for dis timely n invaluable piece of information. wink
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Lennylinconlee(m): 3:49pm On Oct 06, 2014
Are u saying we shld delete the the referee or we shld write @ll ...pls clear me on that
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Lero15(m): 3:50pm On Oct 06, 2014
2. Personal Details
discriminatory
. Therefore, these personal details

@bolded, not in this Naija. Some will even ask you, are you a virgin?
grin grin
Me thinks your age is very important on your cv.

Nice one, OP.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 06, 2014
We are advised to put our interests.. whether you play hockey or read books and play basketball. You are advised to put it in your CV.

However, i am in a different country

Maybe its different in Nigeria.
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by kudoxs(m): 4:21pm On Oct 06, 2014
Most of your points are not useful, I usually get invites with my Cv and it contains most of these, even after I got it re-written by 3 companies, they still left most of all you mentioned,it's the arrangement that matters. Don't ever ever put a pix in your Cv!

6 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by WoodcrestMayor(m): 4:33pm On Oct 06, 2014
I agree wit u bro

I av a personal statement on my CV.There's nothing wrong if itz genuine.If an interviewer takes me up on it, he/she wuld see itz true.
Many of these interviewers are very experienced and all they need to expose u is one question.cheesy
kudoxs:
Most of your points are not useful, I usually get invites with my Cv and it contains most of these, even after I got it re-written by 3 companies, they still left most of all you mentioned,it's the arrangement that matters. Don't ever ever put a pix in your Cv!
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Lero15(m): 4:35pm On Oct 06, 2014
If I remove all these on my cv, wetin go remain ooo grin

8 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by destante(f): 5:19pm On Oct 06, 2014
this is useful. But I think personal interest should be used depending on the kind of job being for. A person who wants to work with a TV, radio station or for some managerial posts may need to include that.
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 06, 2014
One more thing:

Remove ur cgpa xcept u had above 4.5 on a 5.m scale

my 50cents
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Donfamous(m): 5:49pm On Oct 06, 2014
So if I remove all these, what will now remain?
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 06, 2014
destante:
this is useful. But I think personal interest should to be used depending on the kind of job being for. A person who wants to work with a TV, radio station or for some managerial posts may need to include that.

its a lie.
smileysmileysmiley
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Geenet: 5:52pm On Oct 06, 2014
Nice write up
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by destante(f): 5:52pm On Oct 06, 2014
rapsodeep:

its a lie.
smileysmileysmiley
oh really. isokay smiley
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by kiete(m): 5:54pm On Oct 06, 2014
I agree except on few; objective statement, personal interest and basic skills. I think these points should be on any good cv. All thesame thanks.
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 06, 2014
Lero15:
If I remove all these on my cv, wetin go remain ooo grin
I wonder ooo grin grin grin

your cv will be like half a page like you're good for nothing grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by olu4life(m): 6:46pm On Oct 06, 2014
Note: This only applies to someone who has much experience. A fresh graduate should never use this standard. By d way,age is very compulsory plus some personal datas like marital status. Objectivity/Personal Value should be included and state ur Skills pls.
OP pls don't misdirect people o. He who has ear......

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by sekzy99(m): 6:52pm On Oct 06, 2014
It depends OOooooooooo
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by IRIENBOY(m): 6:57pm On Oct 06, 2014
Nice work
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Mannylex(m): 7:33pm On Oct 06, 2014
If all these basic and important info are removed, then what should be on the CV? I don't go with this.
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 06, 2014
I wouldn't advise any fresh graduates to buy into all the points listed above to avoid loosing out from job invites. Your career objective and personal details (age,sex,marital status) are very important. I have all this on my CV and I have never been denied any job invites.

What you should really take time to peruse is your cover letter, since this is what would decide whether to review your CV or not.

I stand to be corrected!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 06, 2014
destante:
this is useful. But I think personal interest should be used depending on the kind of job being for. A person who wants to work with a TV, radio station or for some managerial posts may need to include that.
my dear, its not like interest in not kinda important, but it would be wise if u go straight to the point instead of writing interests, cos its goin to take some space in ur CV, and because of loads of application coming in every day, the manager will just look at ur first page and if he does not find anythin useful there, there's every possibility that he'll skip ur CV to the next one, cos there's no time to waste. Most managers spend 15 second max on one CV, and u should make that little time count.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Lero15(m): 8:05pm On Oct 06, 2014
MarvellousGod:

grin grin grin
Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 06, 2014
MarvellousGod:

u may include them if u are a fresh graduate with little or no experience at all. But basically, a good CV should not be more than a page,except in rare cases where it gets to 2 page, and for special cases like doctors who already have lots of qualifications and other important certification s. if it gets to a page and half, try and remove something that is not necessary or just pick out the main points and try to make it just a page. Cos one page CV are most times the best, because with just a glance the Manager can just see all he needs and 'voila u are called for an interview

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Things To Delete From Your Cv/resume Immediately by Lero15(m): 8:12pm On Oct 06, 2014
lrguru:
u may include them if u are a fresh graduate with little or no experience at all. But basically, a good CV should not be more than a page,except in rare cases where it gets to 2 page, and for special cases like doctors who already have lots of qualifications and other important certification s. if it gets to a page and half, try and remove something that is not necessary or just pick out the main points and try to make it just a page. Cos one page CV are most times the best, because with just a glance the Manager can just see all he needs and 'voila u are called for an interview
a page CV?
That's a NO for me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Total (HND) Graduate Trainee Recruitment/a.p Test 2013 / Mtn N60k Job:20 Persons Urgently Needed To Resume On Fri. July 1,2016 / BOVAS And Company Ltd Is Recruiting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.