Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,696 members, 7,955,632 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:31 AM

50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! (1730 Views)

15 Strange And Lesser-known Facts About Plants That You Don't Know / These 17 Optical Illusions Will Mess With Your Mind. Check Them Out! / World's Largest Known Spider (bird-eating Spider) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by farem: 7:04pm On Oct 08, 2014
50 Less Known Facts About the Human Body
Sep 27, 2014 0 68

The human body is ‘awemazing’ *awesome and amazing*. Below are 50 facts about our body that’ll make your eyes widen in surprise. Enjoy!

1. When in love, the human brain releases the same cocktail of neurotransmitters and hormones that are released by amphetamines. This leads to increased heart rate, loss of appetite and sleep, and intense feelings of excitement. (I know.. I know..lol)
2. It is not possible to tickle yourself.
3. All babies are colour blind at birth, they see only black and white.
4. Each person sheds 22 kilograms of skin in his or her lifetime.
5. Average life span of a taste bud is only 10 days.
6. Your teeth starts growing 6 months before you are born.
7. The largest muscle in your body is the one on which you are sitting on.
8. Children have more taste buds than adults.
9. Eyes stay the same size throughout life but nose and ears never stop growing.
10. There are approximately 96,000 km of blood vessels in the human body.
11. Heart circulates blood in your body about 1000 times each day.
12. When you blush, your stomach lining also reddens. (Ok)
13. When you sleep, you grow by about 8mm (0.3in). The next day you shrink back to your former height. The reason is that your cartilage discs are squeezed like sponges by the force of gravity when you stand or sit..
14. A man’s testicles manufactures 10 million new sperm cells each day – enough that he could repopulate the entire planet in only 6 months! (Just 6 months?.. Wow!)
15. Scientists say the higher your I.Q. the more you dream. (No wonder I dream a lot)
16. You lose your taste buds as you age.
17. Food takes 7 seconds to reach stomach from mouth. (Sharp sharp?)
18. The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm
19. The female ovaries contain nearly half-a-million egg cells, yet only 400 or so will ever get the opportunity to create a new life. (I feel this is part of the punishment Eve received and she passed it down).
20. The human feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.
21. The only part of your body that has no blood supply is the cornea in the eye. It gets its oxygen directly from air.
22. There are 500 hairs in an eyebrow. (Mine is less, I pick some out)
23. Human skull is made up of 26 different bones.
24. You are born without knee caps and they don’t appear until age of 2 to 6 years.
25. Your heart beats 100 000 times a day.
26. Your blood has same amount of salts in it as an ocean has.
27. Men lose about 40 hairs in a day and women lose 70 hairs in a day.
28. In your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
29. Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
30. Eyelashes last about 150 days.
31. The kidneys filters your blood up to 300 times per day.
32. Tongue is the strongest muscle in human body. (Read here for tips on how to take care of this ‘strongest’ muscle in your body)
33. The average human body contains approximately 100 billion nerve cells.
34. The air from a sneeze can travel at unbelievable speeds of 100 mph or more.
35. When you were born, you had 300 bones. Now you have 206, if you are an adult. The rest of the bones have not disappeared – they have merely fused together. (This explains a lot)
36. The nail on the middle finger grows faster than the other fingernails.
37. Hair is made of same substance as fingernails.
38. Smallest bone of body is in ears.
39. It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. (Lol, I won’t even try it)
40. Our entire body functions stop when we sneeze, even your heart beat. (Who else loves the sneeze feeling?)
41. The average man has about 11 erections each day and several more at night. (Ok o)
42. 80% of the brain is water.
43. Your brain uses about 20% of your oxygen and caloric intake. (Reason why we should feed our brain with healthy foods)
44. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades. (Please, never try this at home)
45.Scientists have counted over 500 different liver functions. (Read ‘here’ for some functions)
46.You could remove a large part of your internal organs and survive. The human body may appear fragile but it’s possible to survive even with the removal of the stomach, the spleen, 75 percent of the liver, 80 percent of the intestines, one kidney, one lung, and virtually every organ from the pelvic and groin area. You might not feel too great, but the missing organs wouldn’t kill you. (Wow)
47.The average person expels flatulence 14 times each day. (I’m one of those special beings that don’t.. Lol #picksTeeth)
48. By 60 years of age, 60-percent of men and 40-percent of women will snore. (Dear God, my future husband should be among the 40% men that WON’T snore.. Amen)
49. It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown. (Dear Brothers and sisters, Keep calm and smile always)
50. The width of your arm-span stretched out is the length of your whole body. (Tried it, very close estimator of ones height)

Know your body, take care of it, for it is the only place you can live.

4 Likes

Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by 3coins(m): 7:08pm On Oct 08, 2014
51. I dont believe most of these
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:16pm On Oct 08, 2014
In addition to 21, cartilages do not have a blood supply of their own also.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:28pm On Oct 08, 2014
Also, we have closed teeth-our teeth don't grow...The blood supply to our teeth is not enough to make it grow-only to keep it alive...Maybe except for babies and little children...

1 Like

Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Johnfavour(m): 7:34pm On Oct 08, 2014
52. He/She will die whether he/she likes it or not.
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:35pm On Oct 08, 2014
farem:
50 Less Known Facts About the Human Body
Sep 27, 2014 0 68

The human body is ‘awemazing’ *awesome and amazing*. Below are 50 facts about our body that’ll make your eyes widen in surprise. Enjoy!

1. When in love, the human brain releases the same cocktail of neurotransmitters and hormones that are released by amphetamines. This leads to increased heart rate, loss of appetite and sleep, and intense feelings of excitement. (I know.. I know..lol)
2. It is not possible to tickle yourself.
3. All babies are colour blind at birth, they see only black and white.
4. Each person sheds 22 kilograms of skin in his or her lifetime.
5. Average life span of a taste bud is only 10 days.
6. Your teeth starts growing 6 months before you are born.
7. The largest muscle in your body is the one on which you are sitting on.
8. Children have more taste buds than adults.
9. Eyes stay the same size throughout life but nose and ears never stop growing.
10. There are approximately 96,000 km of blood vessels in the human body.
11. Heart circulates blood in your body about 1000 times each day.
12. When you blush, your stomach lining also reddens. (Ok)
13. When you sleep, you grow by about 8mm (0.3in). The next day you shrink back to your former height. The reason is that your cartilage discs are squeezed like sponges by the force of gravity when you stand or sit..
14. A man’s testicles manufactures 10 million new sperm cells each day – enough that he could repopulate the entire planet in only 6 months! (Just 6 months?.. Wow!)
15. Scientists say the higher your I.Q. the more you dream. (No wonder I dream a lot)
16. You lose your taste buds as you age.
17. Food takes 7 seconds to reach stomach from mouth. (Sharp sharp?)
18. The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm
19. The female ovaries contain nearly half-a-million egg cells, yet only 400 or so will ever get the opportunity to create a new life. (I feel this is part of the punishment Eve received and she passed it down).
20. The human feet have 500,000 sweat glands and can produce more than a pint of sweat a day.
21. The only part of your body that has no blood supply is the cornea in the eye. It gets its oxygen directly from air.
22. There are 500 hairs in an eyebrow. (Mine is less, I pick some out)
23. Human skull is made up of 26 different bones.
24. You are born without knee caps and they don’t appear until age of 2 to 6 years.
25. Your heart beats 100 000 times a day.
26. Your blood has same amount of salts in it as an ocean has.
27. Men lose about 40 hairs in a day and women lose 70 hairs in a day.
28. In your lifetime, you will produce enough saliva to fill two swimming pools.
29. Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
30. Eyelashes last about 150 days.
31. The kidneys filters your blood up to 300 times per day.
32. Tongue is the strongest muscle in human body. (Read here for tips on how to take care of this ‘strongest’ muscle in your body)
33. The average human body contains approximately 100 billion nerve cells.
34. The air from a sneeze can travel at unbelievable speeds of 100 mph or more.
35. When you were born, you had 300 bones. Now you have 206, if you are an adult. The rest of the bones have not disappeared – they have merely fused together. (This explains a lot)
36. The nail on the middle finger grows faster than the other fingernails.
37. Hair is made of same substance as fingernails.
38. Smallest bone of body is in ears.
39. It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. (Lol, I won’t even try it)
40. Our entire body functions stop when we sneeze, even your heart beat. (Who else loves the sneeze feeling?)
41. The average man has about 11 erections each day and several more at night. (Ok o)
42. 80% of the brain is water.
43. Your brain uses about 20% of your oxygen and caloric intake. (Reason why we should feed our brain with healthy foods)
44. The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades. (Please, never try this at home)
45.Scientists have counted over 500 different liver functions. (Read ‘here’ for some functions)
46.You could remove a large part of your internal organs and survive. The human body may appear fragile but it’s possible to survive even with the removal of the stomach, the spleen, 75 percent of the liver, 80 percent of the intestines, one kidney, one lung, and virtually every organ from the pelvic and groin area. You might not feel too great, but the missing organs wouldn’t kill you. (Wow)
47.The average person expels flatulence 14 times each day. (I’m one of those special beings that don’t.. Lol #picksTeeth)
48. By 60 years of age, 60-percent of men and 40-percent of women will snore. (Dear God, my future husband should be among the 40% men that WON’T snore.. Amen)
49. It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown. (Dear Brothers and sisters, Keep calm and smile always)
50. The width of your arm-span stretched out is the length of your whole body. (Tried it, very close estimator of ones height)

Know your body, take care of it, for it is the only place you can live.
Lol@15 and incredible@46..

1 Like

Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:36pm On Oct 08, 2014
Johnfavour:
52. He/She will die whether he/she likes it or not.
Kai!!!! Enoch and Elijah did not die..

1 Like

Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Thewhizzkid1(m): 7:38pm On Oct 08, 2014
We can never lick our elbow...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by tolu4you: 11:05pm On Oct 08, 2014
I dream a lot coz i think a lot
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by tosyne2much(m): 11:19pm On Oct 08, 2014
All this epistle made up human beings ?Kudos to the supreme ruler of the earth.. God I bow to you

1 Like

Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by sekzy99(m): 11:52pm On Oct 08, 2014
I hear
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by nwaobitex: 12:15am On Oct 09, 2014
Interesting
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Donfamous(m): 12:37am On Oct 09, 2014
Nice one
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Nobody: 6:21am On Oct 09, 2014
No 2 is possible when u use your tongue against the roof of your mouth
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by priscaoge(f): 8:25am On Oct 09, 2014
Most of these points are fallacies. That No27 sha undecided. What if I didn't comb my hair?

1 Like

Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by priscaoge(f): 8:26am On Oct 09, 2014
No41 undecided undecided undecided
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 09, 2014
i can tickle myself o shocked shocked shocked grin grin.
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 09, 2014
Tell me more
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Monzuur(m): 9:52am On Oct 09, 2014
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by haxorDelite(m): 9:57am On Oct 09, 2014
You didnt even tell us how often we FART in a day
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 09, 2014
missberrypop5:
i can tickle myself o shocked shocked shocked grin grin.
smiley and you ll be laughing? shocked
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by wheesin(m): 11:48am On Oct 09, 2014
fact 51 all your entire senses pause including your brain when you see money. but comes back when you spend it all undecided
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 09, 2014
Ok.

Pls help me beg Aydee to bring back my linda's blog(no hashtag o!)

Thank you.

50 amazing ways to crash a blog, loading...
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 09, 2014
52) pictures or adonbilivit. angry angry
Re: 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 09, 2014
Hahahaha @ Number 1 cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Scholarship Tips: How To Apply And Get Into Stanford University, USA / WESLEY UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, ONDO POST - UTME SCAM ALERT !!! / The Richest Countries In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.