Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,807 members, 7,820,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Driving From Abuja To Jos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Driving From Abuja To Jos (16409 Views)

Driving From Lagos To Abuja / Driving From Ibadan To Abuja. How Long Does It Take? / Driving From Warri To Abuja-holiday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Driving From Abuja To Jos by ToddTerry: 12:02am On Aug 01, 2006
Has anyone driven from Abuja to Jos? How many hours is it by car? what are some nice hotels to stay in around Jos?
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 8:42am On Aug 01, 2006
About 3hrs more or less with nigerian speed limit(which doesnt even exists)lol, u can stay in Hill Station(It's been around for ages there, one of the best too) Plateau Hotel thats all i remember, don't know about the new hotels. Hopefully some1 with recent experiences can do better than i grin

1 Like

Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by ToddTerry: 1:11am On Aug 03, 2006
thanks iice. where do u live? have u hiked in jos? maybe we can meet? we are planning on doing some hiking there for 4-5 days. i understand it is quite nice. i heard the road from ab to jos is actually quite nice nand very few miscreants or sss. have you heard of the ougadogo lodge? they offered me a cabin with kitchenette, laundry service, room service, and game buffet for 2450 naira per night, double occupancy. sounds pretty good. a miss ogunwole runs the lodge. she sounds very nice as I have spoken with her on 2 occasions. she also offered nature treks for only 800 naira including lunch.
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 12:05pm On Aug 03, 2006
Sorry todd i dont live in nigeria, but i grew up in Jos, i guess our trekking about the place isn't what u'd actually call hiking lol. Think u can hike in a place called Sherry hil's it has the beautiful natural rock formation. Yes the road from Abj 2 jos is nice. Sorry havent heard of the ougadogo lodge, is that in jos? But it seems reasonable 4 the amount u quoted. U can't get that cheap stuffs in abj. Hope i helped.
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by Hustler4(m): 1:07pm On Aug 09, 2006
How do one post a new Topic please ?
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by LoverBwoy(m): 2:05pm On Aug 09, 2006
you go to the section you want post the topic in, then on the right hand side its say New Topic
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by TayoD(m): 6:17pm On Aug 09, 2006
Yep, it'll take you 3 hours from Abuja to Jos, but I am not quite sure it is as safe as you are made to believe. As at 2 years ago that I was last on that road, there were just too many check-points and police prescence, but that could have changed now.

With regards to the hotels, there is one I particularly like but can't remember the name. The concept is really nice and it has a lot of white folks as guests. The hotel building is actually made up of container cabins. Gives you the feeling of being in a safari somewhere. I think it is the only hotel with that theme in that region so you should be able to find it with some little search and inquiries.
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by ToddTerry: 7:17pm On Aug 09, 2006
Thanks TayoD. I have not heard that the region between abuja and jos has had any flare ups or hostilities. i would most likey drive during the day and from what i have been told it is safe. my driver i am sure can handle the police checkpoints. how much do they usually want -- the police out there? i am just curious as to the cost for me of traveling from abuja to jos by car. also, are there any good restaurants to stop at along the way for a snack? thanks for your input.
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by enolase(m): 8:51pm On Aug 09, 2006
Hello,
I travelled from Abuja to Jos as recently as three weeks ago.

It is a 3 hour journey.

The road is very smooth from beginning to end; no potholes whatsoever.

Is is safe? There are only 2 checkpoints; both are manned by soldiers. I advise you set off early. Avoid still being on that road by 6pm. There are a lot of areas which you can say are "no man's land"; right in the middle of nowhere. Can be scary shocked
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 8:55pm On Aug 09, 2006
LOL that forest area is scary at night, where there's a fork, police usually are posted there. But it doesnt necessarily mean its safe. Yeah start out early
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by symbianDON(m): 9:55pm On Aug 09, 2006
it is actually no big deal driving from abuja to jos. driving time is approximately 3hrs. from abuja you get to keffi(30mins from abuja), then to akwanga(this about half the journey). this stretch is considerably busy in terms of traffic and virtually no police check points. in any case even if there are check points the police hardly trouble anyone. you branch off at akwanga and then there are no major towns till you get to jos. no problems all through the way: smooth, paved road and rarely any events of robberies these days (even as late as 10pm!) not to talk of the exquisite and breath-taking scenery you'd experience just as you approach jos. there are also some very good hotels asides hill station. i know all this because i drive to jos virtually every month, and yes i am a nigerian.
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by diddy4(m): 5:06am On Aug 10, 2006
the plane will make it faster. cant drive for more than 3 hours without shouting. damn, its hard.
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by babe1(f): 5:08am On Aug 10, 2006
Todd Terry:

thanks iice. where do u live? have u hiked in jos? maybe we can meet? we are planning on doing some hiking there for 4-5 days. i understand it is quite nice. i heard the road from ab to jos is actually quite nice nand very few miscreants or sss. have you heard of the ougadogo lodge? they offered me a cabin with kitchenette, laundry service, room service, and game buffet for 2450 naira per night, double occupancy. sounds pretty good. a miss ogunwole runs the lodge. she sounds very nice as I have spoken with her on 2 occasions. she also offered nature treks for only 800 naira including lunch.

Wow, 2450? When the grand hotel at Asaba goes for 15,000 naira and up a night.Omg. This does not even include food or any of that stuff, just clean sheets and water. But it is grand though i must say and it is over looking the river niger.
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 8:02am On Aug 10, 2006
Driving to jos is not a hardship, the scenery makes it pass quickly.
@symbianDON, since you go there regularly, you should give him info on choices of hotels to stay. I love it around akwanga side, lotsa things to buy cheesy
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by anon101(f): 3:42pm On Aug 10, 2006
i schooled in Jos its abeautiful place i would love to settle down , well that was almost 12 yrs ago dk how it is now
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 3:45pm On Aug 10, 2006
What school Blacknbold? i went to school there too
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by inprecise: 3:49pm On Aug 10, 2006
my boyz from bauchi gonna come and hawk you next to jos ooooo. hold ur pockets!
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by VOR(m): 4:43pm On Aug 10, 2006
Hill station used to be one of the nicest hotels around.
However, I stayed there in 2001 and it was a real disappointment.
A shadow of its former self.
Come the evening the place became an Ashewo joint.

The rooms though large and spacious were not well cleaned.
Under my bed I discovered a used condom shocked shocked and in a chest
of drawers there were several unused condoms. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Unfortunately I can't direct you to any better hotel cos I haven't been back since.
One place you must visit is the waterfall on the outskirts of Jos. Can't remember
the name now, but it is really nice and a lovely place to go and relax.

Good luck.
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 4:47pm On Aug 10, 2006
VOR i was also trying to remember the name of the waterfalls
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by VOR(m): 5:22pm On Aug 10, 2006
It's called Assop falls.

Where in Jos did you go to school iice.?
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 5:44pm On Aug 10, 2006
yup Asop falls tnx, its beautiful there
Went to SLC in jos o
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by VOR(m): 6:12pm On Aug 10, 2006
SLC?
What does that stand for iice?

1 Like

Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 6:13pm On Aug 10, 2006
St. Louis College, sister school of murumba, st. john and st. joseph
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by VOR(m): 6:19pm On Aug 10, 2006
Cool at iice.

I did my NYSC in Jos and then stayed on for a couple of years working.
But that was in the good old days. grin grin grin
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 6:20pm On Aug 10, 2006
Ahhhh ok cool cheesy
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by Danmasani(m): 10:21pm On Aug 10, 2006
iice:

St. Louis College, sister school of murumba, st. john and st. joseph

Hey I went to CSJ, when did u finish from louisville?
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by Danmasani(m): 10:46pm On Aug 10, 2006
The chappy going to Jos, Hill station is the best hotel available for you in Jos. others like Plaeau Hotel, Jerrotel are ok too, i cant direct you to more cos the rest are shitty. For chilling, u could do Kura Falls, Assop Falls, Rayfield resort ( In Jos!), Jos Museum and zoo is great too, Naraguta is great for rock climbing. Jos wildlife park has scenery of a safari and it's quite nice Nigerian standards. Pandam game reserves is also nice and i think the Solomon Lar amusement park is finally open incase u've got kids. Shere Hills is another spot for rock climbing. See Jos and Plateau in general has lots of places to go, Just get a car, a good updated map ( or a good guide) and u'll be good. And it wont cost you much!
check http://www.plateaustategov.org/visit/ for more info
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by gigitte(f): 4:39am On Aug 11, 2006
i've been to shere hills!
hiked and camped there too. it is really pretty cheesy
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 5:59am On Aug 11, 2006
@Danmasani, CSJ cool, mennnn i finished from louisville long time ago lol, naraguta is pretty good.
@gigitte, yeah shere hills is pretty, used to live closeby at one point cheesy
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by ZuluNation(m): 6:02am On Aug 11, 2006
iice I see you my sister, how you dey ?
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by iice(f): 6:03am On Aug 11, 2006
Zulu bro, am cool o, how u dey?
Re: Driving From Abuja To Jos by ZuluNation(m): 6:07am On Aug 11, 2006
My dear I just dey,only hunger way we the suffer. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Policeman Renders Help To Stranded Travelers On Their Way To Abuja (photos) / Reverse Japa !!! Nigerians Travelling Back To Nigeria For Medicals / LASG To Close Pen Cinema Axis For Construction Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.