Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,656 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

I Need Ur Counsel Please. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Need Ur Counsel Please. (5693 Views)

Divorcing...need Ur Advice Desperately / Mothers I Need Ur Advice / I Urgently Need Ur Advice On My Husband And His Ex-girlfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Godmystrength: 5:42pm On Oct 09, 2014
EfemenaXY:
What nonsense.

Never heard of such and I think this gimmick would only work for desperate chicks wanting to marry at all costs - chicks that don't mind trading in their self respect and doing all sorts in the vain bid to "get" the man.

What do your parents say about this?

I certainly won't allow any man put my beautiful, precious, princess through such crap.
Abi o. I hope he will also go to spend the next weekend alone with my own parents for whatever reason he is having for his present decision......

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Godmystrength: 5:56pm On Oct 09, 2014
shalomp:

I understand ur point but it's not always about desperation. some men do it to give their parent a sense of belonging, because some parents will feel they are not being carried along in the whole process. I mean it's a way of telling the girl indirectly that the parent means a lot to him. so if your man truly loves and you love him, there is nothing fear. just go there and show them that u have accepted them and their son too.
no big deal in going to visit your would be parent-in-laws. My issue is why ask me to go and be with them all alone. For whatever reason, it doesn't look fair on the concern party. if the guy is there with you, he will keep your company and also introduce you to people that you should know.....to me ''hello xxxxxx, meet my babe/fiancee/woman/love'' sounds better than ''hello xxxxxx, come and meet xyz's wife-to-be''...

besides, until the man puts a ring to it can you say you are married and now a part of the family... Forget about all the lovey lovey thingy.. That a man/woman has introduced you to his/her parents doesn't mean you will both end up getting married...
so as a lady, how many would be parent-in-laws will i have to visit on my own before i finally settle down with the man for me?

4 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by shalomp: 5:56pm On Oct 09, 2014
@ Sophy, no family is the same. understanding differs. what worked for you won't work for every other person. In a normal situation, ur right. but now the request has been made by the man. so wisdom have to be applied. If she knows her interest will be protected by her man then there is nothing wrong for her to go. it's just for a weekend.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by 5minsmadness: 6:09pm On Oct 09, 2014
@amandaluv,

You alone know the kind of man you are dating. He looks to me like someone who values his family a lot, after all, he has lived with them most of his life before he met you and they are important for any lifelong relationship he is going to get involved in.

The fact that he has introduced you to them shows you mean a lot to him. It takes a very special woman in a man's life for him to take her home to mama. You are not desperate.

It is possible that when you both went to visit his parents they didn't have enough chance to mingle freely with you. It is also important for them to know the kind of woman their son is planning on marrying. If you marry this guy in the future these same family will be your own family forever. It is good you get to know them and get along with them now.

Its normal for you to be nervous, after all you are going to spend some days with people you barely know. But see it as being initiated into a bigger family. Do not see it as a threat. If you behave like you are threatened they(especially his mom) will feel the same way and feel maybe you have something to hide. If you refuse to go, it will also look like you are not going to be nice to them or you have something to hide. Do you? I'm sure you don't.

You are a grown girl, planning on getting married. You are mature. It is not a small thing like going to spend time with your future in-laws that will break you. If it does then maybe the relationship wasn't meant to be in the first place.

When you get there be as polite and respectful as possible but also do not get used or allow yourself to be treated anyhow. Parents like a girl that shows respect to them but also one that exudes self confidence.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 09, 2014
shalomp:
@ Sophy, no family is the same. understanding differs. what worked for you won't work for every other person. In a normal situation, ur right. but now the request has been made by the man. so wisdom have to be applied. If she knows her interest will be protected by her man then there is nothing wrong for her to go. it's just for a weekend.

I Understand situations and families differ. I know some inlaws are very nice and accomodating. This is why its good to know your partner's background and his/her family's way of doing things. From the look of things, the Op finds such an idea as alien and its possible her family would see it that way. She has to let her people know to see if they would concur with it. If my parents for example, get to hear something like this from me, you can only imagine the reply i would get. Such a man would be rendered a Disgrace to Manhood. The Op's fiance did nt give her reasons for this but his actions are clear. To me, a man telling you to stay with his parents alone shows he is not sure about marrying you yet and still wants his parents to assess you further, to ascertain if you will make a good wife, something he is supposed to do AS A MAN, AS AN ADULT. To me, he doesnt know what he wants. Normal brief visits in the presence of her fiance are best especially now that they are not yet married. Shikena.

1 Like

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by soonest(f): 6:37pm On Oct 09, 2014
I don't like the idea, seems desperate

5 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Winneygirl(f): 6:40pm On Oct 09, 2014
Its a good thing. But considering that U just met his family, there's no way U will be free.
Since it makes U a little uncomfortable to be there alone, it will be wise for him to accompany U.
Besides, U ought to be having regular short visits to his family house to familiarize U with them, before a step like this should be taken.
This is too fast in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by shalomp: 6:44pm On Oct 09, 2014
@Godmystrenght, I hear you but,,,, it's only the op that knows the man she is getting married to and the"tempo" of their relationship.
Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by samyan12: 7:05pm On Oct 09, 2014
I am a female too and I dont see any big deal in this situ. Take it as an opportunity to get to know your inlaws too. Dont join the crowd of ladies who want to marry their husbands alone, and do not want to giv their inlaws the respect they deserve. You will be suprised u'll end up having a great time there.

4 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Godmystrength: 7:08pm On Oct 09, 2014
shalomp:
@Godmystrenght, I hear you but,,,, it's
only the op that knows the man she is getting married to and the"tempo"
of their relationship.
you are right but whatever the case,
don't you think it is somehow for you to take a woman to your parent once
last week and now insist that she must go spend the immediate next weekend alone with
them. Guy should have accommodated more visits together before coming up
with such idea.

4 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Godmystrength: 7:19pm On Oct 09, 2014
samyan12:
I am a female too and I dont see any big
deal in this situ. Take it as an opportunity to get to know your inlaws
too. Dont join the crowd of ladies who want to marry their husbands
alone, and do not want to giv their inlaws the respect they deserve
. You
will be suprised u'll end up having a great time there.
i am still trying to figure out what that means in this kind of scenario.

4 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by sevantex(m): 7:51pm On Oct 09, 2014
Its a veri wierd act if u ask me..,Even if dt was to happen.,the reasonable tins is for him to go with u..,Its good to be sure of who he is marrying but those tins are extreme..,Isn't the guy suppose to go tru quality assesment(home visit) also?? Or na just woman alone??..,May God guide us in making this marriage decisions sha but the intended couple ARE the best ppl to knw if they can live hapily together..,Parents can onli guide..,Watever works for u sha. @op but pls be urself if u eventually go.,God bless. Ur union in advance

1 Like

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by AmandaLuv(f): 8:00pm On Oct 09, 2014
i'm so grateful and thanking each and every one of u for taking out time to respond, GOD BLESS U ALL. i appreciate.

i had anoda discussion with my fiance on this matter this afternoon nd after registering my displeasure on why he wants me to go alone he said there's no motive, dat he wants me to go 'chill out with his family'. das the exact word he used. i asked him if his mum or sister prompted such decision he said no, then i knew he was lying becos i wonder how i'll jus pack my bags and go paying a visit to his parents tomoro without pre-information to them of my arrival.
i'm jus praying we come to a middle ground b4 tomoro.
Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by AdeniyiA(m): 8:18pm On Oct 09, 2014
Mondisweets:
you can cancel what?
my correction post.
i planned to cancel /remove d post after she'd av made the correction, but so far she hasn't
Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 09, 2014
AdeniyiA:

my correction post.
i planned to cancel /remove d post after she'd av made the correction, but so far she hasn't
lol
Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by rolled: 8:30pm On Oct 09, 2014
Praying?
Chai marriage for naija na wa oh
A whole week?
Are you so jobless

AmandaLuv:
i'm so grateful and thanking each and every one of u for taking out time to respond, GOD BLESS U ALL. i appreciate.

i had anoda discussion with my fiance on this matter this afternoon nd after registering my displeasure on why he wants me to go alone he said there's no motive, dat he wants me to go 'chill out with his family'. das the exact word he used. i asked him if his mum or sister prompted such decision he said no, then i knew he was lying becos i wonder how i'll jus pack my bags and go paying a visit to his parents tomoro without pre-information to them of my arrival.
Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by OnyeEgo1(m): 2:12am On Oct 10, 2014
samyan12:
I am a female too and I dont see any big deal in this situ. Take it as an opportunity to get to know your inlaws too. Dont join the crowd of ladies who want to marry their husbands alone, and do not want to giv their inlaws the respect they deserve. You will be suprised u'll end up having a great time there.

i swear to God, if it were to be my family u wud be treated like a celebrity, u wouldnt even want to leave, everytin is done for you, jokes dey fly here and there....

I am nt tryin to bring tribal issue here, d east knows how to handle such situation very well precisely Enugu state, 042 amaka...

1 Like

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by EfemenaXY: 4:20am On Oct 10, 2014
AmandaLuv:

Girl.

Whatever doubts, premonitions, suspicions, etc you might have of him and his intentions, now is the time to slug it out with till your issues are resolved. That's the whole point of the dating game - understanding your intended, and learning how to tackle and resolve problems amicably when they crop up.

You don't run away from them under the guise of "hoping and praying". You face them head on by taking the bull by the horns. Learn to stand your ground if you're absolutely sure of your convictions. That way, he'll learn to respect you, but most importantly, he'll understand your likes and dislikes.

If you can't make your voice heard now, pre-marriage, it'll be much harder post-marriage. Have you mentioned any of this yet to your parents? What's their opinion?

4 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 10, 2014
I don't know the kind of families these ladies come from that will let them sleep over at a fiance's family house. Even during a festive period that you are meant to be with your family? My father/family will not be alive and see that happen. The way they will come and uproot you from that house eeeehhhh. . .

The first time my hubby (then fiance) took me to his mum for official introduction, the mum had prepared the visitor's room thinking I will sleep over. We got there quite late and she was surprised to hear me say I was leaving after an hour. She pressed and cajoled for me to sleep over, saying it was late for me to travel to my parent's, I politely declined. My dad already had my phone blasting with calls and queries about when I will be leaving.

Fast forward to few months after wedding; my MIL came visiting and during the course of our discusion, she admitted that the moment I insisted I wasn't sleeping over that night, she knew I was from a good home. And that she will not be happy if any of her daughters did a thing like that. I just thought to myself "see this woman ooo, after you feigned surprise and sadness when I insisted I was leaving. See set up" cheesy

I still haven't even spent any night at my parents in law. More like, I haven't had the time/opportunity.

Anyways, whatever works for one jare. There is really no black and white when it comes to these things.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by 5minsmadness: 8:57am On Oct 10, 2014
Anyways, whatever works for one jare. There is really no black and white when it comes to these things

1 Like

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 10, 2014
Phema:
I don't know the kind of families these ladies come from that will let them sleep over at a fiance's family house. Even during a festive period that you are meant to be with your family? My father/family will not be alive and see that happen. The way they will come and uproot you from that house eeeehhhh. . .

The first time my hubby (then fiance) took me to his mum for official introduction, the mum had prepared the visitor's room thinking I will sleep over. We got there quite late and she was surprised to hear me say I was leaving after an hour. She pressed and cajoled for me to sleep over, saying it was late for me to travel to my parent's, I politely declined. My dad already had my phone blasting with calls and queries about when I will be leaving.

Fast forward to few months after wedding; my MIL came visiting and during the course of our discusion, she admitted that the moment I insisted I wasn't sleeping over that night, she knew I was from a good home. And that she will not be happy if any of her daughters did a thing like that. I just thought to myself "see this woman ooo, after you feigned surprise and sadness when I insisted I was leaving. See set up" cheesy

I still haven't even spent any night at my parents in law. More like, I haven't had the time/opportunity.

Anyways, whatever works for one jare. There is really no black and white when it comes to these things.

You see the irony on the bolded?

That is why i love my parents. Any attempt to reduce the dignity of their daughter is a SIN.

Nice one. smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by pickabeau1: 10:49am On Oct 10, 2014
How does a woman,your son wants to marry, sleeping over translate to dignity

Will you do anything that you were not doing kurukere before

Moreover sleeping over does not mean that is an opportunity for the man to nail the babe in his house

grin undecided

1 Like

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by crackhaus: 10:58am On Oct 10, 2014
pickabeau1:

Moreover sleeping over does not mean that is an opportunity for the man to nail the babe in his house

grin undecided
Let's chalk it up to an exaggeration on her part, makes for a good ending to an already good story wink
Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 10, 2014
AmandaLuv:

He wants you to just chill with his family without him being there? without even an invitation from them? like some desperate girl? for what? doesnt that tell you something he is trying to hide from you? You think when a man is hiding something, he will tell you everything? sometimes you gotta learn to read between the lines when a man hides something. If you are not comfortable with something, you better learn to tactfully say No. You won't be killed for it. Sort this issue out once and for all. any issue u cant sort out now will linger in marriage and multiply. I am absolutely sure he isnt forcing you to do it so think.

2 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 10, 2014
pickabeau1:

grin undecided

Why dnt you gather some balls and quote me directly? You scared of me?

4 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 10, 2014
A guy that wants his intended to visit his family alone after a joint visit sends a big signal.
1. He is either trying too hard to convice d parents of how good u r(in this case seeing is believing) or
2. Dont have a say in his life. D parents controls d shot( let her come over so we can evaluate her without ur interferance)
In which case her entering into that family solely depends on d parents.

Either way,d parents control d shots.
Gal wisdom is profitable when applied correctly. Also all d marital problem we see around always have ways of staring at us during d courtship, but most times we usually ignore.
As one makes his/her bed, so layeth thou in it.

4 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by shalomp: 11:30am On Oct 10, 2014
Na wa o, u can't spend a weekend with your soon to be parent inlaw but you are almost a roommate with your husband to be....hmmmm

1 Like

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 10, 2014
I've been following this thread since yesterday and I dunno what to say, it's a really dicey one really.

Op, do you by any chance know why he wants you to do this? And I mean, his REAL reason and intention?

I think it's not as bad as some people are painting it- undignifying, desperate etc but I agree it might be a little tough, tapping into his thought process might untoughen it!.
Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by pickabeau1: 11:44am On Oct 10, 2014
Sophyrocks:

Why dnt you gather some balls and quote me directly? You scared of me?

grin grin grin grin...
WHY YOUR OBSESSION WITH MALE GENITALS!!!

dignity indeed grin

2 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 10, 2014
pickabeau1:

grin grin grin grin...
WHY YOUR OBSESSION WITH MALE GENITALS!!!

dignity indeed grin

You can make any conclusions you want. You always behave like a coward. grin grin grin

Next time grow some balls and quote me. I won't kill you. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by pickabeau1: 12:02pm On Oct 10, 2014
@Sophyrocks
U really r showing some dignity here grin grin

I wonder why u ladies are so aggressive and the tragic thing is u are all mice offline
The matured ladies have spoken both on the pro and cons
And i raised a simple question

How does sleeping over in your fiance home mean u have no dignity
You leave that, looking for male genitals online

Go and get some offline.. maybe u will chill.. wipe

1 Like

Re: I Need Ur Counsel Please. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 10, 2014
shalomp:

I understand ur point but it's not always about desperation. some men do it to give their parent a sense of belonging, because some parents will feel they are not being carried along in the whole process. I mean it's a way of telling the girl indirectly that the parent means a lot to him. so if your man truly loves and you love him, there is nothing fear. just go there and show them that u have accepted them and their son too.
Oh please. If he truly regards her as a fiancee, he will listen to her concerns and go with her. She hasn't refused to go, but she is not comfortable to go alone. In the news (BBC) yesterday, were women (afraid to show their faces) that'd moved in with their in-laws and were treated as slaves. They endured years of abuse, neglect, forced pregnancy/abortions etc. These are concerns for any woman who is marrying into another man's family. So you stay there with your talk of "love" and "nothing to fear"- this OP is rightly using her HEAD to navigate the situation.

OP, don't go unless he goes with you. In the future, if YOU decide to go visit them alone it will be when you feel comfortable enough to do so.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aisha Babangida Ends Second Marriage / Pls Help Oo. Which Is The Best Rechargeable Fan / OBSESSION: Have You Ever Obsessed About Someone, Or Someone About You.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.