Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,739 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

How do you physically identify ones tribe physically - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How do you physically identify ones tribe physically (11981 Views)

Physically Challenged Persons Fight Over N15m NDDC Largesse / Fayose Employs 10 Physically-Challenged & Gives Out 35 Wheelchairs (Pics) / Physically Challenged Nigerian Citizen Campaigns For Buhari (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by kagari: 8:30am On Oct 09, 2014
I hear when people say this guy or girl looks like ayoruba or looks like an igbo. So my question is what are those physical qualities that can distinctively classify one as either a yoruba or igbo, even before you confirm from the person.
P.S: please this is not a tribal thread, so tribal cannibals keep off,
Beware of BAN
Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 09, 2014
kagari:
I hear when people say this guy or girl looks like ayoruba or looks like an igbo. So my question is what are those physical qualities that can distinctively classify one as either a yoruba or igbo, even before you confirm from the person.
Beware of BAN
If yoruba head, igbo head is not a tribal thread then what is it? U better change d title of your topic

2 Likes

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by konjakonja(m): 8:43am On Oct 09, 2014
Op show us picture of your own head so that we can tell your own tribe by looking at it

13 Likes

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Idrismusty97(m): 9:03am On Oct 09, 2014
Their eyes, their mouths and of course their head smiley. I am not Yoruba or Igbo so i can tell they both have distinct shape of heads.....Observing from afar. You can also recognize most Fulanis by the structure of their faces and their athletic and slim body structure. But many Northerners don't have that distinct feature unlike the Yorubas or Igbo. Probably because of years of intermarriage between many northern tribes.

There is nothing wrong in identifying the physical features of certain tribes. Even the white who came to Rwanda immediately recognized the difference between the Tutsis and the Hutus tribes and they made a diagram of both. [img]http://pcolman.files./2012/04/tribal-differences.jpg?w=584[/img] The food you eat, The climate you are exposed to and your daily activities will definitely change your body structure. And if your generation continued in your footsteps for thousands of years unchanged, that physical feature may just be permanent and would be passed down from generation to generation. Your body will definitely evolved to take the strain from these activities.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Simpsonrocket(m): 9:15am On Oct 09, 2014
So you still don't know how to Eyedentify a Chinese man in the midst of Americans.

1 Like

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by ak47mann(m): 9:23am On Oct 09, 2014
IGBOS are light skin in nature while most yorubas are dark skin though most of them bleach their skins their hands will have rainbow colors cool

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by kagari: 12:27pm On Oct 09, 2014
ak47mann:
IGBOS are light skin in nature while most yorubas are dark skin though most of them bleach their skins their hands will have rainbow colors cool
i say this cause i can easily identify other major tribes physicaly except yoruba and igbo. To me i believe its the lips
Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by oluwalfa: 12:36pm On Oct 09, 2014
Tribal marks.

Yorubas have large marks on their cheeks. If you are not used to it you would think you met a victim of a tiger attack, but they actually do that to themselves.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Horlawoomey(m): 12:36pm On Oct 09, 2014
Most NUPE people have dark skin

Most FULANI people are tall and light-skinned

GWARIs are usually dark and thick

IGBO people have flat head likewise GHANIANS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by kagari: 1:19pm On Oct 09, 2014
Horlawoomey:
Most NUPE people have dark skin

Most FULANI people are tall and light-skinned

GWARIs are usually dark and thick

IGBO people have flat head likewise GHANIANS
For real
I dont know if its just me, but to me Esan girls most times look alike, mostly chubby with round head amd mostly chocolate color and them dey sabi get pimples at teenage age with kissing shaped kind of lips

2 Likes

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 2:32pm On Oct 09, 2014
Una don start?
Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by ak47mann(m): 6:25pm On Oct 09, 2014
kagari:

For real
I dont know if its just me, but to me Esan girls most times look alike, mostly chubby with round head amd mostly chocolate color and them dey sabi get pimples at teenage age with kissing shaped kind of lips
i think is isoko babe i use to date one before they got pretty face but pimples spoil their face anyway i cant say for others cool
Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by kagari: 10:47pm On May 04, 2017
This thread is highly educative @lalaclastica
Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Ultimate300(m): 11:30pm On May 04, 2017
I can easily identify a yroba men by their big and wide mouth. while an igbo man can be recognized by his flat head.

3 Likes

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Ikechukwuni6: 11:38pm On May 04, 2017
For me how I identify a yoruba is four factors. They tend to have cone head shaped like their brain is being compressed. Very dark skin, almost dinka like, very loud mouth, stocky but not in a good way and a high percentage of them have facial features that is primate like.
When they are mixed with something, it becomes difficult to differentiate them example banky w

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by omohayek: 11:45pm On May 04, 2017
This entire thread is just one long record of tribalistic idiocy. The real answer is that the various Niger-Congo speaking groups within Nigeria's borders are genetically very similar, especially those within the same YEAI group that includes Yoruboid, Edoid and Igboid languages. Anyone claiming to be able to reliably distinguish people from these groups using purely physical features is either delusional or a liar.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 04, 2017
Identification has more to do with accent when they talk than looks, and looks plays a much smaller part

Yorubas, edo/delta, efik/ibibio, hausa/fulani and ibos have distinctively different and a very easy to identify accent when they speak pure English/pidgin English

Looks can only give an unreliable estimate of a typical Nigerian in a multicultural environment. For accuracy, our brain immediately vhecks for other signs such as mode of dressing, tribal marks, prayer induced dark forehead (muslims) and lastly skin colour. There are generally more light skinned colored people amongst fulanis and the south eastern states compared to other states

1 Like

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Litmus: 12:34am On May 05, 2017
Tribes do have distinctive looks in Nigeria, I believe this in spite of the African language classification imposed on our education by European Anthropologists. Each main tribe is roughly homogeneous among themselves and different from the others in Nigeria. Each tribal homogeneity may not be, say, as pronounced as Ethiopians, Aborigines or Papuans but differences exist nonetheless. Intertribal mixing has further blurred these distinctive and alternative physical characteristics but differences remain. It is a pity that we as Africans have to rely on Western research or replicate them in order to command peer approval if not I'm convinced the distinctive characteristics would have been recognised academically. Research on Africa in this regard has been lazy.

Outside of this, isn't it odd how the environment can quickly affect the appearance of individuals? For instance, there are recognisable and yet difficult to point out differences in appearance of say a Yoruba, Igbo or Isoko man brought up in America from a Yoruba, Igbo or Isoko man brought up in England? Even something as simple as being brought up in an enlightened home can effect marked changes in appearance compared to those brought up in less afluent backgrounds.

1 Like

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by raker300: 5:43am On May 05, 2017
A Yoruba girl saw me in Kogi and quickly referred to me as Igbo. When I asked how she knew, she said "you're tall, fair, muscular and big" and decided to go round and experiment on her analysis.
Turns out she was right; majority of igbos are really tall, fair and big while many Yorubas are slim, black, and shortish.
That doesn't mean that there're no tall, fair Yorubas ooo.

I also noticed majority of the Hausa/Fulani has pointed nose..that's a distinctive feat on them

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by omohayek: 7:33am On May 05, 2017
Of course, this being Nairaland, people had to "rebut" my pointing out the extreme genetic similarity of southern Nigerians by repeating their personal anecdotes as if they were fact. Here is the actual science supporting my view that any talk of one group being "tall and muscular" or "dark" and another being "light skinned" is pure nonsense:

https://bmcgenet.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2156-6-38

The funny thing about anecdotes is that it's the easiest thing in the world to come up with counter-examples. Most of the people in my own family are lighter than any supposed "light skinned" Igbos, without having any known white or Igbo ancestry, while the likes of Anthony Joshua and Hakeem Olajuwon hardly fit the notion that Yorubas are short and less than muscular, do they?

You tribal warriors really need to give it up. The only real way to tell Edos, Igalas, Igbos, Itsekiris, Ijaws, Yorubas, etc. apart is through their behaviors, accents, ways of dressing, and so on, not through any inherited physical features. If you claim there is, provide solid research to back it up, not your personal impressions which have been colored by stereotypes and tribal prejudices.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by kagari: 9:06am On May 05, 2017
omohayek:
Of course, this being Nairaland, people had to "rebut" my pointing out the extreme genetic similarity of southern Nigerians by repeating their personal anecdotes as if they were fact. Here is the actual science supporting my view that any talk of one group being "tall and muscular" or "dark" and another being "light skinned" is pure nonsense:

https://bmcgenet.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2156-6-38

The funny thing about anecdotes is that it's the easiest thing in the world to come up with counter-examples. Most of the people in my own family are lighter than any supposed "light skinned" Igbos, without having any known white or Igbo ancestry, while the likes of Anthony Joshua and Hakeem Olajuwon hardly fit the notion that Yorubas are short and less than muscular, do they?

You tribal warriors really need to give it up. The only real way to tell Edos, Igalas, Igbos, Itsekiris, Ijaws, Yorubas, etc. apart is through their behaviors, accents, ways of dressing, and so on, not through any inherited physical features. If you claim there is, provide solid research to back it up, not your personal impressions which have been colored by stereotypes and tribal prejudices.
that is actually the essence of this thread. But there must be a reason why you can be said to look Yoruba, igbo, delta, Hausa, even before you speak or when you are on coporate
Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by omohayek: 9:37am On May 05, 2017
kagari:
that is actually the essence of this thread. But there must be a reason why you can be said to look Yoruba, igbo, delta, Hausa, even before you speak or when you are on coporate
Sure, but it's the same reason why people can tell Koreans from Japanese - cultural norms, fashions, mannerisms, etc. That's really all there is to it.
Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Litmus: 7:19pm On May 05, 2017
For instance, there appears to be a strand of Yorubas, mostly male that have large wet eyes - some Germanic strands also have theses large wet eyes - on skulls where the forehead down to the nostril area are forward while the mouth area down to the chin area is in. The American Sprinter has this appearance and resembles the Yoruba Fela. See pics.

This look is almost always Yoruba.

Likewise, see any Nigerian with a Maurice White type look and he'll almost certainly be of Igbo origen.

3 Likes

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by kagari: 8:30pm On Sep 24, 2017
Still on the matter
Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by betterABIAstate: 8:55pm On Sep 24, 2017
80% of Yoruba women bleach, it's very common.

I tag any bleacher Yoruba, look at derele and bobrisky

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by sherlock229(m): 9:18am On Feb 10, 2018
igbos

*igbos are lighter on average
*more physically build than yorubas too
*facial feature looks similar to there neighbours e.g efik, edo etc," more broader facial feature
"

*bonus:most igbos have flat-head shape

yoruba

* yorubas are usually slim.
*yorubas are taller on average both men and women.
*facial feature :yorubas are more diverse via connection with many great empires since medieval period e g hausa, fulani,gbe speakers, nupe, songhai etc, yorubas can look like any of the tribes I mentioned, yorubas have" more straight facial features too"

1 Like

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 10, 2018
kagari:
Beware of BAN

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by kagari: 9:01pm On Jun 11, 2018
Nice, this needs to get to front page for better audience

Lalaclastica
Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Oloripelebe: 10:22pm On Jun 11, 2018
Check the shape of the head maybe it is flat

Then check their girls legs maybe be it is yam like grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How do you physically identify ones tribe physically by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 11, 2018
Yorubas to me are easily identified anywhere in world. They look very African like Kenyans and South Sudanese with dark blue skin color. Thier skin is very soaked up or bloated like from drinking too much oil as the picture below also show. They also have yellow eyes like they have Jaundice disease. Their women are like that too. Also their men have zero to no muscles or very low testosterone levels, meaning their men rarely have facial or body hair.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amosun Meets APC Reconciliation Committee / Enugu Elections Exceptional, One Of The Best In Country, Says INEC / PDP Denies Zoning 2023 Presidential Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.