Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,554 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens (6885 Views)

Lagos Bans Sponsorship Of Pilgrimages To Mecca, Jerusalem / Nigerian Govt Bans Other Para-military Agencies From Use Of Camouflage Uniforms / President Buhari Leaves Mosque Without Convoy Or Sirens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by subice(m): 9:49am On Nov 11, 2008
The Lagos Government on Monday barred visiting governors and top government officials from using siren in the state.

The state Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, announced the ban in Lagos just as the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshall Paul Dike, ordered the naval headquarters to thoroughly investigate the alleged assault on a 27-year-old lady, Miss Uzoma Okere, by some naval ratings in Lagos.

Although Fashola did not attribute the ban to the assault on Uzoma by the ratings attached to the convoy of Rear Admiral Harry Arogundade, he however said the use of siren by those in authority was a way of terrorising taxpayers whom they were supposed to serve.

The governor, who does not use siren, added that those who do had “continued to constitute an unacceptable slur on the state’s traffic management system.”

He said, “ I have successfully demonstrated that you need patience and not the siren to negotiate through the traffic in Lagos. I seek the cooperation of all and sundry to demonstrate its benefit, including visiting governors and other public officers.

“Let us all get rid of these nuisance on which we spend millions of our hard-earned money to keep the producers in Europe and America in business while we use it to terrorise the taxpayers who we serve.”

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200811113313537

Well done Gov. Fashola, make sure you enforce it though.
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by vikiviko(m): 11:04am On Nov 11, 2008
Fashola is scoring a first in virtually all his approaches to governance.

If other governors adhere to it, serving Military officers would definitely disrupt it.

Also bank officials should be cautioned .

eko o ni baje
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by lucabrasi(m): 11:19am On Nov 11, 2008
this man is awesome and i see a great future for him in a higher political office
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by JustGood(m): 11:22am On Nov 11, 2008
I need to give this governor an award for this.
Hopefully, the federal government can borrow a leaf
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by Mustay(m): 11:51am On Nov 11, 2008
What about the president too?

Is he included in the list of 'TOP' govt officials. Anyway, some okada riders sef still use the siren sha
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by RichyBlacK(m): 11:57am On Nov 11, 2008
What would be the penalty for the very much expected disregard of this directive by the ignorant and arrogant political thugs (who call themselves politicians) and the evil beasts of wickedness (who call themselves military "ogas"wink? angry

They must be arrested, detained, tried, convicted and sentenced if they violate this law! (If it's not law, the Lagos house of assembly should pass it as law immediately).

There must be a clear and hefty penalty for would-be violators of this directive!
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by AKO1(m): 12:03pm On Nov 11, 2008
Good riddance to bad unecessary rubbish. smiley
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by landis(m): 12:45pm On Nov 11, 2008
Good but how do you enforce it??

grin cheesy grin
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by c33b33(m): 1:51pm On Nov 11, 2008
na today yanch dey back?!i remember OBJ saying the same thing,was it enforced?The politicians and military now use the siren more than the ambulances and fire fighters,tsk! cool
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by abdurrazaq(m): 3:06pm On Nov 11, 2008
Hopefully, this rule/law will be enforced and violators will be adequately punished/disgraced accordingly. Looking forward to when the likes Bankole Dimeji will be publicly disgraced for using siren on Lagos roads angry cool
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by MrCrackles(m): 3:18pm On Nov 11, 2008
Well i hope this gets enforced!

We are not strangers to lofty promises which never get kept at the end of the day
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by lucabrasi(m): 3:58pm On Nov 11, 2008
nigerians and cynicism grin, the fact is that at least he has banned it something others have not done before
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by Kobojunkie: 4:23pm On Nov 11, 2008
Others have not done? Please tell me you are kidding me? In the same Lagos, that same ban has been declared so many times before.  I can not recall what governors did but there have been bans on use of sirens in sort of the same way. At the end. ENFORCEMENT IS THE MAJOR ISSUE. We have TONS of really good LAWS, but whose job is it to make sure they are enforced and why does it not seem to be happening? I am not against news Laws or something but BAN ! BAN !! BAN!!! That seems to be the solution to most all problems in that country  shocked At the end of the day, If not enforced, all na joke oo!!
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by lucabrasi(m): 4:59pm On Nov 11, 2008
he can only do so much,in a country as steeped in corruption and indiscipline as lagos, the significance is not the banning of sirns but the time he did it,he is sending a message out to the rear admiral and his ppl that he is in support of the girl and other downtrodeen nigerians/lagosians who have been brutalised,no matter how light we thing of the action,im sure knowing a typical nigerian big man's ego the rear admiral wouldnt find it funny at all neither will his friends the timing of the ban
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by skfa1: 5:04pm On Nov 11, 2008
Thank God, the governor has done something, may be he red my reply to Uzomas case on Nairaland cheesy
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On Nov 11, 2008
lucabrasi:

he can only do so much,in a country as steeped in corruption and indiscipline as lagos, the significance is not the banning of sirns but the time he did it,he is sending a message out to the rear admiral and his people that he is in support of the girl and other downtrodeen nigerians/lagosians who have been brutalised,no matter how light we thing of the action,I'm sure knowing a typical nigerian big man's ego the rear admiral wouldnt find it funny at all neither will his friends the timing of the ban

ROFLMAO!!! He instituted a Ban on sirens, and now should he fail to work on enforcing it, we have the excuse that “he can only do so much, in a country as steeped in corruption and indiscipline as lagos”.

Give me a HUGE BREAK HERE !!! Why do we push for change and then turn around and strap a bomb on our backs to ensure we do not get change?? He can not ONLY DO SO MUCH?? He is the FREAKING GOVERNOR for crying out loud. He can make sure that it is ENFORCED and people all over that state understand that in this case, the ban is LAW, and the law is to be enforced.

GOSH I wish we were back in Idiagbons time when the law was the law from top to bottom. That man made sure that even at oshodi, people queued for bosses. I mean the psyche then was straight up IT IS THE LAW and the LAW should be obeyed. Man it was good!!
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by Seun(m): 5:52pm On Nov 11, 2008
Fashola is a populist, but you know what? I like that. That's the best kind of politician you can ever have.
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by depapa06(m): 6:06pm On Nov 11, 2008
Thump up!
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by Tornadoz(m): 6:09pm On Nov 11, 2008
This is great news and the gov should ban police check/road blocks too.
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by RichDad1(m): 6:12pm On Nov 11, 2008
Thumbs up. Gov. Fash cool cool .
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by Gaminechic: 6:14pm On Nov 11, 2008
Abegi

undecided undecided
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by Godalone(m): 6:16pm On Nov 11, 2008
There shuold be a penalty for violating it.
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by Bellini: 6:22pm On Nov 11, 2008
It is good the law is made but it will be better if it is enforced especially on uniformed personnel who see other citizens as bloody civilians. I think the governor deserves an applaude
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by UNLEASHED(m): 6:25pm On Nov 11, 2008
And y'all think it will work tongue undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by fotokopy: 6:34pm On Nov 11, 2008
Thank God for Fashola
Above all i thank God for sacking Osaremen for Oshiomole
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by princekevo(m): 6:35pm On Nov 11, 2008
Kobojunkie:

ROFLMAO!!! He instituted a Ban on sirens, and now should he fail to work on enforcing it, we have the excuse that “he can only do so much, in a country as steeped in corruption and indiscipline as lagos”.

Give me a HUGE BREAK HERE !!! Why do we push for change and then turn around and strap a bomb on our backs to ensure we do not get change?? He can not ONLY DO SO MUCH?? He is the FREAKING GOVERNOR for crying out loud. He can make sure that it is ENFORCED and people all over that state understand that in this case, the ban is LAW, and the law is to be enforced.

GOSH I wish we were back in Idiagbons time when the law was the law from top to bottom. That man made sure that even at oshodi, people queued for bosses. I mean the psyche then was straight up IT IS THE LAW and the LAW should be obeyed. Man it was good!!

My brother i tire for Nigerians.Idiagbon never achieved that with havin two heads or 4hands. He was a man jst like  Fashola. A governor just banned what he think that seems to be wrong in his territory and people are here questioning how he can enforce it. He made the ban as the chief executive of Lagos state and it's within his reach to make sure it being enforced within the state.I wish other governors would take the same bold step.
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by DeepZone: 6:35pm On Nov 11, 2008
Seun:

Fashola is a populist, but you know what? I like that. That's the best kind of politician you can ever have.
Politics in Nigeria rarely need tactics and strategy unless stealing ballot boxes is one.
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by lucabrasi(m): 6:38pm On Nov 11, 2008
@kobojunkie
its not about failing to enforce it,he ll try his best but like i said theres only so much he can do,unless you want him to stand up against virtually 99% of the politicians,force men/women e.t.c in nigeria
the significance of what he has done at the this present time that he did it considering who was involved is change,ita all very well and good to say a governor can enforce and do anything but nigeria is not the united states or the united kingdom where there is already a working system,fashola didint inherit a system of any sort but crude add ons to a shaky foundation so you cant expect him to do all he has to do and then the aggravation of riling up the likes of politicians and so called "big men" e.t.c it is sad but true that only mostly "big men"in the society who are more often than not fashola's friends or aquitances that ll break the siren laws and theres little he can actually do about it save maybe specific cases,lagos state's problems dont start and end with sirens and its mis use,the police/ambulance e.t.c in developed countries mis use sirens and are prosecuted for it thoug not like they do in nigeria

apart from idiagbon being the second in command,he was being rumoured to be the one actually pulling the strings of command,moreover a military regime is diffrent to a civillian regime,what fashola would have done to make sure the law is enforced can at best be in the realm of speculation seeing as he doesnt have the power now neither do we know if he ever will
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by bastrin(f): 6:50pm On Nov 11, 2008
Kobojunkie:

angry angry angry angry
n who enforces d law tell me even in Idiagbons time afta making d law who do u call on to enforce it. Some pple just talk cos dey have d chance to n dey end up talking without thinking. D gov will still hold security meetings with d same R/Adm, n dey will still have dinner together n he will beg d R/Adm to use his bois n enforce d law so who is bn fooled at the end of the day. angry angry
angry angry angry angry
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by Backslider(m): 6:52pm On Nov 11, 2008
A good one.

Let us look at the cause of all this

The Nigerian is Trained to hate and break the Law. If not for the fear and little home training most of US have no choice to do the same.

I am not saying I want this to continue NO WAY. We must change by instituiting Community court police stations and prisons.

This Nigerians that want to misuse Nigerian have been trained by the way Nigeria has abandoned the Local precints.

If you are from a Village in Bayelsa state you probably will not have a government that is directly responsible to you and you directly responsible to it.

Some of our rulers pretend to be leading us and we also pretend to be following our leaders.
YOU THINK I AM WRONG?
I will ask if there  was fire in LAGOS STATE maybe somewhere in Apapa or Oshodi. Who is responsible for put out the fire?
Or I you have a robbery at a bank in IKEJA who is responsible for security. What local intel do you have to find the criminals?

The State Government will tell you that is not there work. THE CHIEF SECURITY OFFICER IN A STATE SHOULD BE THE GOVERNOR JUST AS THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF (OR CHIEF SECURITY OFFICER OF THE WHOLE OF NIGERIA IS THE PRESIDENT)

The problem is however that we must look for a way so that the FEDERALUNITARY GOVERNMENT WILL HAVE TRUST THAT IF IT GIVES THE RIGHT TO HAVE A STATE PLOICE COMMAND THEY WILL NOT BECOME A PRIVATE ARMY OF THE STATE GOVERNMENT. I HAVE BEEN THINKING ON HOW TO GO ABOUT THIS AND I WILL POST IT WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED IT>
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by RibaduFan(m): 7:17pm On Nov 11, 2008
Alleluyah the real deepzone is back, now i can start posting again. That pepperspray no just get action
Re: Lagos Bans Governors, Others From Use Of Sirens by chessguru(m): 7:47pm On Nov 11, 2008
Other state Governors /Governments should learn from this!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Court Stops NASS From Taking Over Functions Of Rivers House Of Assembly / Buhari Is Dead Nnamdi Kanu Releases Video To Back Claims / Buhari Lands France For Second Time; Denied Presidential Greeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.