Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,904 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Can Nigerian Schools Really Educate Without Corporal Punishment On Students? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Nigerian Schools Really Educate Without Corporal Punishment On Students? (587 Views)

Corporal Punishment / True Love, Can Nigerian Men Do This (pic) / Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigerian Schools Really Educate Without Corporal Punishment On Students? by Opepy: 11:15am On Oct 10, 2014
Hi all,

I am a first time parent and my baby started school yesterday.
Like all normal parent I was worried about how the first day in school will be like for the kid,
to my amazement, when I drop my kid in school, there was no temper tantrum, no crying fit, the kid just walked in and sat down in class.

Later in the afternoon when I went to pick up my baby, the teacher gave me a report on the days activities by telling me the kid was just playing and not listening to instructions, that if the playing thing persist, she would have to result to spanking and so therefore she(teacher) needs my approval to spank to foster learning.

I have always frowned on corporal punishment as a parent and coupled with the fact that it is even illegal now in the educational sector.

The teacher told me there is no way my baby would still not be spanked if the child did not listen or adjust, she said some kids are stubborn, bullies and would only listen to corrections when canned.

Dear parents in your children school, do they spank your kids?

When does it become extreme?

Can a child go through Nigerian educational system(primary and secondary) successfully without been caned?

Thank you.
Re: Can Nigerian Schools Really Educate Without Corporal Punishment On Students? by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 10, 2014
Though I'm no where close to being a parent myself, I always wonder about this too. It's very disturbing. embarassed

When it comes to learning, me think it's completely unnecessary to use fear as a tool. Yes, that's what the punishment and spanking is all about, installing fear.

It's very bad and traumatic. I was a victim myself. embarassed

See ma'am, all this ish about kids turning out to be bullies and all that is a hoax. Spanking wouldn't stop a kid from turning out to be a bully. It can only accelerate it.

It's very hostile and improper to study under fear. If the staff can abstain from doing just that, take your kid to a much proper school that does.

They don't spank kids in a much more educated and civilized states; like the US, UK, etcetera. And their kids don't bloom out stubborn or bullies. Nah, instead it's the exact opposite. They flare much better and smarter than Us.

My two Cents...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Nigerian Schools Really Educate Without Corporal Punishment On Students? by Opepy: 1:21pm On Oct 10, 2014
Thanks so much for you response, perhaps, am being too sensitive being a first time parent, I would really appreciate other opinions too.
Re: Can Nigerian Schools Really Educate Without Corporal Punishment On Students? by pweetyz(f): 5:01pm On Oct 10, 2014
In my own view corporal punishment is something that should be used only when necessary

even the bible itself supports corporal punishment "if you spare the rod you spoil the child" but this does not mean that you should use it whenever a child makes you mad

ben carson in his book "think big"..talks about corporal punishment..he says that it is something you should do with a frown and a sad heart because you only want to correct and not punish the child
children should be warned and talked to on several occasions before they are punished corporally
therefore nigerian teachers should endeavour to correct the child first before retiring to punish the child so your child's teacher might not be wrong if she's warned your child
you should endeavour to correct your child too to avoid being punished by his teacher

(1) (Reply)

Season Greeting To You All,enjoy Power Backup With 1.5kva/24v Inverter / NEW YEAR Splash,celebrate And Enjoy Uninterrupted Power Supply With INVERTER / Touching! Teenager Reveals Her Seven-week Ordeal In Boko Haram Den

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.