Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,419 members, 7,830,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? (2576 Views)

You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / Lessons To Teach Your Daughter That She Will Never Forget... By Alison Bryant / Girl, 6, Who Was Sent To Her Room As Punishment Is One Of The Youngest People To (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by texanomaly(f): 4:29am On Sep 24, 2014
I wrote an article about alternatives to corporal punishment.

Here it is:
http://storried.com/category/family/#sidr

I then asked some of my Nigerian friends what they thought. This is one of the responses I got.

"It's a nice article . The way people react here in Africa is a bit different from what's obtainable over there, down here people are naturally stubborn and rebellious. Irrespective of the person's age and status . Corporal punishment only keeps them in check even when you place rules they flaunt them easily with relish and abandon that's why it's so hard to rule a nation like Nigeria. The only word that Adults and kids alike respect here is Force."

Do you agree with this statement?
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by texanomaly(f): 4:32am On Sep 24, 2014
Here are a few responses I got.

Me:
Is this true?

Replies:

"That's because they've been taught to only do things by force.

If you train kids by beatings all the time then they grow up thinking that is only by beatings that they can do something right.

Very bad.

They are never taught to do things right because its good.

They're only taught to do things right to avoid punishment.

This means that if they can hide from punishment then they can do anything.

This breeds an irresponsible society

Just like Nigeria"

"Wrong

It is a result of the unavailability of a better option."

"Sadly yeah.

Its general mentality. Nigerians love to break rules."

Me:
"Hmmm

How can an entire country have that mentality?"

"It all stems from the govt. Its complicated.

The system rewards rule breakers.

They're the ones living the life.

People and children are more or less the same anywhere. The person saying this, if beating your child could land you in jail in Nigeria, would find another way to handle it.

But seeing as nobody frowns on it, it's an easy option for a frustrated parent of a stubborn child.

3 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 4:41am On Sep 24, 2014
In recent years,corporal punishment seems to hv reduced in comparison to the olden days. This is probally cos of modernization and a greater sense of awareness among parents. Soon it wld b faced out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 8:47am On Sep 24, 2014
Everyone knows there's a clear distinction between discipline and child abuse
Corporal punishment (physical punishment) is child abuse, plain and simple
Flogging has made many Nigerians aggressive and left many without a purpose.
Many victims later in life don't understand the need to do things without been 'caned'
Corporal punishment teaches that violence is an appropriate response to problems or frustrations with people and that can lead to a cycle of violence and victimization in the child's future relationships.
It puts children at risk for depression and anger management problems.

7 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by johnie: 9:04am On Sep 24, 2014

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by johnie: 9:05am On Sep 24, 2014

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by texanomaly(f): 11:14am On Sep 24, 2014
zeemoore: Everyone knows there's a clear distinction between discipline and child abuse
Corporal punishment (physical punishment) is child abuse, plain and simple
Flogging has made many Nigerians aggressive and left many without a purpose.
Many victims later in life don't understand the need to do things without been 'caned'
Corporal punishment teaches that violence is an appropriate response to problems or frustrations with people and that can lead to a cycle of violence and victimization in the child's future relationships.
It puts children at risk for depression and anger management problems.

Bless you.

What type of alternatives can you offer. As another comment aptly put it, it is the only thing many know.

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by LarrySun(m): 11:58am On Sep 24, 2014
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Sep 24, 2014
texanomaly:

Bless you.

What type of alternatives can you offer. As another comment aptly put it, it is the only thing many know.
You can discipline a child by witholding rewards and things they are entitled to as children
You tell him "you can't watch TV if you don't do what I asked you to do"
A swat on the bo.tt.om is also a mild way to discipline a child
Parents usually spank when they angry so giving the child a time-out gives you time to cool off and also gives the child time to think about his bad behaviour
You can also take away something he likes
You can take away a favourite toy or snack for a time or prevent him from playing with friends for a particular period.
*You set limits..... Set some rules but you have to acknowledge his perspective because kids accepts our limits when they feel we truly understand them
When it's past his bedtime and he doesn't want to go to bed, you tell him to go to his room in a mild way
"I know you still want to play but It's past your bedtime, darling. Go to bed so you won't be late for school tomorrow"
When you get a child involved in deciding what is and is not acceptable and what should be done when the rules are broken, he feels loved/important and not a 'kunta kinte' you can flex muscle on when you feel like

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 24, 2014
Double post

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by texanomaly(f): 3:43pm On Sep 24, 2014
LarrySun: The topic has once been argued here:

https://www.nairaland.com/1814779/corporal-punishment-significant-part-african

The topic is: Do you agree with this statement?

"It's a nice article . The way people react here in Africa is a bit different from what's obtainable over there, down here people are naturally stubborn and rebellious. Irrespective of the person's age and status . Corporal punishment only keeps them in check even when you place rules they flaunt them easily with relish and abandon that's why it's so hard to rule a nation like Nigeria. The only word that Adults and kids alike respect here is Force."
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by texanomaly(f): 3:46pm On Sep 24, 2014
zeemoore:
You can discipline a child by witholding rewards and things they are entitled to as children
Parents usually spank when they angry so giving the child a time-out gives you time to cool off and also gives the child time to think about his bad behaviour
You can take away a favourite toy or snack for a time or prevent him from playing with friends for a particular period.
*You set limits..... Set some rules but you have to acknowledge his perspective because kids accepts our limits when they feel we truly understand them
When it's past his bedtime and he doesn't want to go to bed, you tell him to go to his room in a mild way
"I know you still want to play but It's past your bedtime, darling. Go to bed so you won't be late for school tomorrow"
When you get a child involved in deciding what is and is not acceptable and what should be done when the rules are broken, he feels loved/important and not a 'kunta kinte' you can flex muscle on when you feel like

This is worth quoting. If you are not a mom now, you will one day be a great one.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by simplyOJ(m): 4:01pm On Sep 24, 2014
Corporal Punishment undermines your relationship with your child, makes kids feel worse about themselves (which makes them act worse) and sabotages your child's development of self-discipline. Isn't our goal to help your child feel good and act better? Positive parenting starts by creating a good relationship with your child, so that he responds to gentle guidance as opposed to threats and punishment. The most effective discipline strategy is having a close bond with your child. Kids who feel connected to their parents naturally want to please them.

Think Loving Guidance, not corporal punishment. Loving guidance is setting limits and reinforcing expectations as necessary, but in an empathic way that helps the child focus on improving their behavior rather than on being angry at you.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 24, 2014
I think that there are plenty of better ways to discipline a child.

I would rather ...

a) ... take away their favorite toys.
b) ... not give them money to buy something they want.
c) ... ground them.
d) ... make them do extra chores.
e) ... not let them play with their friends.
f) ... explain to them why something is wrong.
g) ... send them to bed without having dinner before.

but also teach them that appropriate behavior has POSITIVE consequences.

I have just given a few examples. There are many more ways to discipline a child without beating it up.

Spanking a child would be my last resort.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Ishilove: 4:11pm On Sep 24, 2014
zeemoore:
I agree with you, but not in most. You should tell a child mildly to go to their rooms because its past their bedtime? Well, I think it depends on the temperament of the child.

Tell young Master Uche, my godson to go to his bedroom and he will do the exact opposite. He'll huff, and he'll puff, and IGNORE you thereafter! Not until you yell and shake your fist will he obey any order. cheesy

My sweet Mam spanked me thoroughly, and I'll carry on the legacy. grin

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by macof(m): 4:24pm On Sep 24, 2014
Preciousone4ril: In recent years,corporal punishment seems to hv reduced in comparison to the olden days. This is probally cos of modernization and a greater sense of awareness among parents. Soon it wld b faced out.

And how do you know that punishment has reduced, I don't believe this.

So you believe not flogging a child for his wrong doing is modernization??
Wait a minute, what do you even mean by modernization?

2 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Sep 24, 2014
Ishilove:
I agree with you, but not in most. You should tell a child mildly to go to their rooms because its past their bedtime? Well, I think it depends on the temperament of the child.

Tell young Master Uche, my godson to go to his bedroom and he will do the exact opposite. He'll huff, and he'll puff, and IGNORE you thereafter! Not until you yell and shake your fist will he obey any order. cheesy

You will do with your children as you wish but I know families, in which children are perfectly obedient when it comes to going to bed.

There are methods to facilitate this.
First of all, parents have to be self-disciplined too and make their children go to bed at the same hour every day so that the child's organism gets used to this and feels the need for it without outer force. If parents stick to this habit, children won't help it but feel tired around this time.
Then parents should introduce "going-to-bed-rituals" like, for example, eat, bath, read something aloud to them, give them a good night kiss and let them sleep in their clean and cosy bed so that they feel loved and protected.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Kay17: 4:50pm On Sep 24, 2014
zeemoore:

You are assuming kids are rational beings with adequate control over their emotions, and that they naturally respect others. I think spanking in a reasonable manner is always ideal. And the kids have to be aware of your authority.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 24, 2014
Kay17:

You are assuming kids are rational beings with adequate control over their emotions, and that they naturally respect others. I think spanking in a reasonable manner is always ideal. And the kids have to be aware of your authority.

Some parents / teachers have enough authority without spanking. Just saying.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Kay17: 4:57pm On Sep 24, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Some parents / teachers have enough authority without spanking. Just saying.

Different strokes for different strokes. .

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 24, 2014
Kay17:

Different strokes for different strokes. .

And different parents to different children.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 24, 2014
texanomaly:

This is worth quoting. If you are not a mom now, you will one day be a great one.
Not one yet
Thanks smiley
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 24, 2014
Ishilove:

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Sep 24, 2014
Kay17:

Spanking makes the child aware of your authority?
Whatever rocks your keke napep, man cheesy
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by texanomaly(f): 8:35pm On Sep 24, 2014
zeemoore:
Not one yet
Thanks smiley

You're welcome
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Kay17: 11:32pm On Sep 24, 2014
zeemoore:
Spanking makes the child aware of your authority?
Whatever rocks your keke napep, man cheesy

Someone once said that we are more conscious of the origin of our pains than the source of our pleasures, and attempt to conform/avoid it.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by texanomaly(f): 12:09am On Sep 25, 2014
Kay17:

Did you read the article? There is a difference between having authority, and having a dictatorship.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by texanomaly(f): 12:11am On Sep 25, 2014
Kay17:

Someone once said that we are more conscious of the origin of our pains than the source of our pleasures, and attempt to conform/avoid it.

Read number 1.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 25, 2014
Kay17:

Spanking/hitting (even when it appears to work) can produce only superficially good behavior based on fear, which can only take place until the child is old enough to resist while cooperation based on respect lasts permanently, bringing many years of mutual happiness as the child and parent grow older.
Hitting is hitting, it's not love, neither is it discipline/teaching
Being a 'tiger mom/dad' doesn't make a child change his behavior, it only teaches him to avoid getting caught
I guess you are one of the people who see their children as someone lesser than them and therefore they should be 'controlled'

I just want you to know children learn attitudes and behaviors through observation and imitation of their parents' actions, for good or ill.
The violent teenagers you see everyday didn't fall from the sky

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Kay17: 10:35am On Sep 25, 2014
zeemoore:
Spanking/hitting (even when it appears to work) can produce only superficially good behavior based on fear, which can only take place until the child is old enough to resist while cooperation based on respect lasts permanently, bringing many years of mutual happiness as the child and parent grow older.
Hitting is hitting, it's not love, neither is it discipline/teaching
Being a 'tiger mom/dad' doesn't make a child change his behavior, it only teaches him to avoid getting caught
I guess you are one of the people who see their children as someone lesser than them and therefore they should be 'controlled'

I just want you to know children learn attitudes and behaviors through observation and imitation of their parents' actions, for good or ill.
The violent teenagers you see everyday didn't fall from the sky

The child traces the pain to you and sees the attachment between your satisfaction and zero pain. Hence easily conforms to your modelling. See African parents for example, they are the most respected. You have to consider the child's immaturity and inability to reciprocate gratitude or endearment.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by texanomaly(f): 11:41am On Sep 25, 2014
Kay17:

The child traces the pain to you and sees the attachment between your satisfaction and zero pain. Hence easily conforms to your modelling. See African parents for example, they are the most respected. You have to consider the child's immaturity and inability to reciprocate gratitude or endearment.
Fear is not respect or love.
Re: Do Nigerians Feel Corporal Punishment Is The Only Way To Teach A Child? by Kay17: 11:47am On Sep 25, 2014
texanomaly:
Fear is not respect or love.

It does sometimes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need A Social Life / Happy Birthday To My Daughter / Man Who Fell For A Single Mother-of-six After Meeting On A Dating Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.