Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,678 members, 7,955,508 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:50 AM

Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria (1538 Views)

Buhari Lied, Boko Haram Still Holds Territory In Nigeria - US Commander / America Has Refused To Sell Weapons To Buhari / Governors Have Refused To Declare Their Assets, Says Bureau Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by argon500: 5:35pm On Oct 10, 2014
James Entwistle, the American ambassador to Nigeria said cases of human right by Nigerian troops in the north -east in the past years have stood out as a sore thumb as the United States considers the Nigerian military’s request for arms.
During a working visit to the American University of Nigeria, AUN at Yola, Mr. James Entwistle said, "Before we share equipment with any country, whether it is a government to government grant or a commercial sale that requires government approval, we look at a couple of things," he explained, "Does it make sense in terms of that country’s needs?
"The second thing we look at is the human rights situation in that country. And as we look at equipment transfers, we look at the situation in those countries in the past few years. And as you all know, there have been instances (I’m not saying across the board) of human rights abuses by the Nigerian military in the North-East.
“So the kind of question that we have to ask is let’s say we give certain kinds of equipment to Nigerian military that is then used in a way that affects human situation. If I approve that, I’m responsible for that. We take that responsibility very seriously.”

Source: ScanNews
Re: Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by ifaoni(m): 5:49pm On Oct 10, 2014
hmmmm
Re: Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 10, 2014
argon500:
James Entwistle, the American ambassador to Nigeria said cases of human right by Nigerian troops in the north -east in the past years have stood out as a sore thumb as the United States considers the Nigerian military’s request for arms.
During a working visit to the American University of Nigeria, AUN at Yola, Mr. James Entwistle said, "Before we share equipment with any country, whether it is a government to government grant or a commercial sale that requires government approval, we look at a couple of things," he explained, "Does it make sense in terms of that country’s needs?
"The second thing we look at is the human rights situation in that country. And as we look at equipment transfers, we look at the situation in those countries in the past few years. And as you all know, there have been instances (I’m not saying across the board) of human rights abuses by the Nigerian military in the North-East.
“So the kind of question that we have to ask is let’s say we give certain kinds of equipment to Nigerian military that is then used in a way that affects human situation. If I approve that, I’m responsible for that. We take that responsibility very seriously.”

take a hike
Re: Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by SirHouloo(m): 6:50pm On Oct 10, 2014
James Entwistle and Obama are the ones behind Boko haram. So 200+ young ladies na beans? Killings and displacement of Innocent Nigerians na joke? Anyway, I no blame dem. Assuming say Nigeria sef dey relevant technologically, who go send dem...mtcheew.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by Alubosa: 7:03pm On Oct 10, 2014
It beats me when i see these guys speak from the two sides of their mouths. “I would say as we support the military in the struggle against Boko Haram, obviously equipment is part of the equation but I think it’s more than that,” the ambassador said. “It bothers me when I talk to soldiers in the North-East and they say they are in the frontline with only a few bullets" - James Entwistle, US Ambassador to Nigeria (Premium Times, October 9, 2014). This is just the height of hypocrisy, Mr Ambassador. So, You know, first-hand, that our military lack bullets, yet, you block us from buying some to execute the war, and you turn around to justify why we are not winning the war. You can no longer deceive us, this is the 21st Century, Mr. Amnassador. We know you have tacit support for the insurgents and that's why you would block every effort we are making to buy arms to crush the terrorists. It doesn't take you anything to send bomber jets to crush ISIS in Iraq and Syria; it didn't take you anything to send troops to Afghanistan, yet, years after, you would still block us from buying arms even when you have not sent troops to assist us. Your story doesn't sell. Your excuse is very lame!

1 Like

Re: Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by galadima77(m): 7:09pm On Oct 10, 2014
argon500:

HORSE SH*T
Re: Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by thegoodone2(m): 7:11pm On Oct 10, 2014
they dont want to sell weapon for us but they want to come and help us and collect our fuel money. we dont need u just sell weapon for us.
Re: Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by PhockPhockMan: 7:27pm On Oct 10, 2014
Re: Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by Greatihex(m): 7:56pm On Oct 10, 2014
When our FG said it, we nigerians were the ones that called them liars. Now the truth is beginning to come out. We are our own enemy.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by slimghost(m): 8:37pm On Oct 10, 2014
You wont see egift and other moronic anti-GEJ rats on threads like this.
Blind hatred is truly a curse! Thank God I know how hypocritical America as a nation is.

1 Like

Re: Why We Have Refused To Sell Weapons To Nigeria: US Ambassador To Nigeria by SEYIKP(m): 10:56pm On Oct 10, 2014
America at times will never stops to amused me. Selling weapons to iraqi government and kurdish fighters where there's high level of human right violations, will prevent the weapons from getting to isis abi? yeye dey smell. instead of them stating the main reason, which i think is acquisition of more oil blocks. They are merigo rounding.

(1) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Mono-rail Updates / How Okowa Defeated Uduaghan In Delta Guber Primaries / The Unforgetable Sins Of Gen. Muhammadu Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.