Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. (24629 Views)

Febrile Rash Illnesses Hits Lagos Community, 20 Killed So Far / Governor Ganduje Destroys Illegal Drugs And Expired Food Items. Photos / Ask Me Anything On Drugs And Supplements (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by hydeka: 12:02pm On Oct 31, 2014
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by SeverusSnape(m): 12:16pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nice piece, I just wish more people get to read this, Knowledge is power. This reminded me of the Salt and water saga, I was ashamed that day; even educated people participated actively in it claiming it had supernatural prevention and healing power.

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by otswag(m): 12:16pm On Oct 31, 2014
Religion has tipped people into making bad choices that has cost many lives. We see men of God preaching that seeking medical intervention when one is ill means one has no faith in God. Unfortunately, people listen and then are rushed into the hospital when it becomes an emergency and start expecting drs to perform miracles. We see patients leaving the hosptl for a prayer house like it is not possible for them to get healed while on admission except d pastor lays his hands on them. We fail to realize that the church is a body of people under Christ, not building structures where people worship. Apart from religion,superstitious nature of Nigerians is causing more harm than good and unfortunately, Nigerians take the opinions of relatives and friends alot more seriously than what the Dr says.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by condralbede(m): 12:18pm On Oct 31, 2014
Nice one jare..... The outcome is usually
not good. You don't have to insist on walking on foot when
a car is available to take you to your destination.You nailed it here man,seek for medical help while you pray to God for healing.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:19pm On Oct 31, 2014
eleojo23:
Contributions are welcome.
Highly welcomed my brother...
Na so I hear say one top Jehovah Witness Pastor killed his daughter cos he refused blood transfusion on her...
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Stonerobaba(m): 12:22pm On Oct 31, 2014
hmmmm

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by boss1310(m): 12:23pm On Oct 31, 2014
anybody who refused medical treatment cos of faith now have another doctor to consult and those kind of doctors can only be seen in psychiatric hospitals

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Crispels(m): 12:25pm On Oct 31, 2014
SuperMartins:
Exactly.. Am postn dis from my hospital bed nw..I didn't wana come but I almost lost my life yestrnyt..currently at ubth,I guess its appendicitis..

Hope you have been discharged now?

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 31, 2014
The topic of this thread looks more or less like an Igbo adage. Check it:

People who reject medical health to pursue divine healing ... "Will die like chickens on Christmas Day"

People should realize that God is everything but he is not our driver that we can just say Oya take me to Alausa Oya take me to Ikoyi.
God doesn't decide most things for us, he has given us brains so that we can also think and solve our immediate problems.
He gave some apostles, some healers and I as well believe that he gave some accountants, some doctors, some optometrist some sociologist.

So if you have medical condition, please go to the doctor and if you have eye sight issues or glaucoma, please don't go to opticians okay? You will learn. If your child is becoming wayward go to a sociologist who deals with anti social behaviour.

Worst thing is that most of the men of God are even fake who will not only get your money but will leave you doubting Gods existence and that is if you did not even die.

I believe God is awesome and powerful and I believe involving him is key to living a healthy life but I also believe that doctors are powerful and authority figures in health challenges.

4 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Vivipop(f): 12:26pm On Oct 31, 2014
Some religious bodies are guilty of this. They feed gullible folks that treating one's illness with drugs and the likes is a sin,while they send their wards to the most respectable hospitals to be treated. I don't want to call names but I'm a first hand witness of such. To me, it is a great offence not to take care of oneself medically,and God does not approve.

3 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by timmy2409(m): 12:28pm On Oct 31, 2014
It's always so sad when people chose to believe in myths over tried and tested human knowledge. Multiple experiments over the past century have shown repeatedly that prayers have absolutely no effect on the outcomes of diseases in the real world. Look up the Great Prayer Experiment for one example. Or just look to Liberia even. With an 85.5% Christian population, I'm pretty sure they're praying and crying loud for healing from God. So far it seems all he's done is sit back and watch Ebola ravage them and their children, and in the end, the cure is still going to have to come through science.

I spit on all the religious figureheads out there that know this and still prey on people's ignorance for their own financial gain.

If you have the data, please watch this documentary. It follows the supposed 'healed' persons at Reinhard Bonnke and Benny Hinn crusades, to examine if they truly got healed.

Spoiler Alert: NO ONE GETS HEALED THROUGH PRAYERS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJfaaPdP0kI

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by passionate88: 12:29pm On Oct 31, 2014
Pastor sef wey get headache dey take panadol
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by InvertedHammer: 12:29pm On Oct 31, 2014
/
I think everyone has a right to die.

Person wey wan die, leave am.

\

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Opiosko: 12:31pm On Oct 31, 2014
xcelsia:
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion in this life, for some people, they have enough faith in divine healing which works for them. Different strokes for different folks, what works for Mr A can kill Mr B.

I combine prayers with medical help, some people don't believe in God and therefore don't believe in prayers. Regardless of what the case may be, I think people should be allowed to do whatever makes them happy.

If someone depends on divine healing only and sees it's not working, he/she should remember the part of the bible that says faith without works is dead. All you have to do is advice them and tell them the consequences of their refusal to seek medical help, if they refuse then you move on, life is too short.

Except the individual is a child in need of guidance, we need to let adults do whatever they want to do. If they only want to pray, seek only medical help or combine both, it's their business, life goes on.

We all have one life to live, focus on what makes you happy and please move on.
Good one Ms. Some folks think that anyone who rejects what they accepts is less knowledgable than they are...

2 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 31, 2014
I have also told those who refuse to take their drugs claiming faith to put water on the stove not light it and pray for fire from heaven to cook their soup.

About drug resistant strain of Tuberculosis that is also caused mainly by sturborness or patients and lack of drug adherence.

A drug treatment course for TB lasts 6-8 months, after the first 4 months most of the symptoms disappear and most times the patient defaults, stops taking drugs and stops going for their clinic days.

What this leads to is a more difficult strain of TB which is drug resistant TB which is more difficult and aggressive to treat. In extereme cases it could be Multi Drug resistant TB which can only be treated in Calabar and Ibadan and has side effects like deafness.

Solution FINISH YOUR FIRST TREATMENT COURSE. ADHERE TO YOUR THERAPHY.

@ Topic, when I hear people ignorantly boasting in church "for the past 10 years I havent been to a hospital " I feel sad because the day they break down hmmm. Headache is just a symtom but instead of checking whats wrong we self medicate and further damage our kidneys. Not getting checked for years to know how your body works is like not going to service your car for 10 years, even if its anew car the engine will knock pretty soon.

We agree you are not sick but go and get medical confirmation, know what you need to regulate and what is going well. Only an insane person will choose to be blissfully ignorant about his / her health. Faith without works is dead. Till your faith and prayers cooks a pot of soup on its own I suggest you back up your faith with works

3 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by sunnshyn(f): 12:33pm On Oct 31, 2014
SuperMartins:
Exactly.. Am postn dis from my hospital bed nw..I didn't wana come but I almost lost my life yestrnyt..currently at ubth,I guess its appendicitis..

I thank God you are alive Super Martin...stay positive...don't just guess its appendicitis, find out what the exact nature of the illness is, so you can get the right medication. The spirit of God be with you bro!! Cheers!!
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by PROCTOR: 12:39pm On Oct 31, 2014
A continent where the default solution to every problem is PRAYER must be a burden on any deity especially if he graciously gave BRAINS

2 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by sconp: 12:44pm On Oct 31, 2014
Faith is good, but follow it up with drugs and prayer.
Some people have terrible sickness and refuse to take drugs stating that the God they serve would deliver them. Forgetting that faith and work works together.

Some pastors also contribute to this, asking members to keep using anointed olive oils and water whereas if the pastor gets ill he travels oversea for treatment.

It annoying sometimes when you hear that the ailment could be treated but the person died cos s/he refused to take drugs
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by pring: 12:46pm On Oct 31, 2014
I blame it on the pastors that wash their brains not knowing they are after their tithes n offerings.
if not on Fashola' s warning over Ebola, TB Joshua would have killed alot of people.
Heaven help those who help them selfs.
Government that has also refused to deliver good medical facilities and go abroad while they are sick also indirectly let people die at the mercy of this pastors.
Receive your anointing nonsense.
We fail to work hard for success, only to embrace prayers, night vigil, prosperity with out working hard n receiving calls from people u dont kn for uplifting.
Nigerians now have family pastors instead of a family doctor.
its a big shame.

2 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by PROCTOR: 12:47pm On Oct 31, 2014
Blind faith and blind followership of deir religious leader.i wonder if those supposed religious leaders are MAN OF GOD OR god OF men which people make them be .How on earth will your religious leader ask you to eat grass and drink petrol and you obey him we are in the 21st century for crying out loud
cos i cant really imagine some things people do in the name of faith
if u want a man to get annoyed dont abuse his parent just critisize his pastor and c d reaction
if we are that religious then our country shld be better

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by tete7000(m): 12:48pm On Oct 31, 2014
I think people need to pray more for wisdom. Often times the problem many of us have is in knowing the way God works. Naaman was told by Elisha to go and wash himself seven times in a river. Elisha could simply have told him to be healed and he would instantly have been healed but he chose to heal him through a different avenue - by his washing in the river. The man almost refused but fortunately he heeded the advice and he was çured. Obedience the scripture says is better than sacrifice. Another scripture says faith without good work is dead.
I likened taking drugs to the Naaman washing of self in the river. God often times has provided us with solution to our problems, he was simply waiting for us to obey and do simple things to get healed. Why does anyone needs a seven day vigil when simple cures to malaria and other known diseases are available? Why praying all day long when practice of simple hygiene will lay off many diseases? I have heard a Pastor told his congregation he hasn't have to take malaria drug for over seven years but this man of God lives in opulence, rides airconditioned car, lives in neat and palatial home. His environment is totally devoid of mosquitoes who would ordinarily give him malaria. As far as I m concerned he didn't need to attribute his healthy state to miracle.
God like the OP has rightly said created the heaven and the earth, he blessed us with knowledge to understand and provide cures to many known ailments. We need to take advantage of that. If anyone dies while refusing treatment, it will be the person's fault and not God's. In taking drugs however, we should always remember however that we treat but it is God that heals.

3 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by COOLCATS: 12:48pm On Oct 31, 2014
A good pastor will not discourage you from visiting the hospital tho .

2 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by timmy2409(m): 12:49pm On Oct 31, 2014
sconp:
Faith is good, but follow it up with drugs and prayer.
Some people have terrible sickness and refuse to take drugs stating that the God they serve would deliver them. Forgetting that faith and work works together.

Faith + Works = Results
Works - Faith = Results
Faith - Works = FAIL

2 Likes

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by DoTheNeedful: 12:49pm On Oct 31, 2014
eleojo23:
I had to create this topic because of something that happened recently.

Mr. Kunle, a man I know, contracted tuberculosis early this year. He died few days ago because he refused medical attention until when it became too late (as I later found out from one of his co-workers). Tuberculosis is treatable (the drugs are free) but when not properly handled through early diagnosis and drug therapy, it could lead to death. It is a disease that no one should die of if proper medical treatments are employed but Mr. Kunle died because he refused to go for treatment on time.

This is one of many of such cases where people refuse medical treatment.
The reason that most of them give (in the Nigerian society for instance) apart from the expenses involved is that they have 'faith' that the sickness will go away.
Some people discontinue their medication with the belief that a miracle will occur. No doubt, miracles do occur but one should not stop taking his medication because of that.
My aunt has a heart disease and she is believing God for healing but that does not mean that she should stop taking her medication.
Some people neglect symptoms of illness in their bodies and say 'nothing will happen' and they refuse to go for medical check-up. But before they know it, a lot has happened and they are down with a serious illness.
Others tell themselves that they are now well even when the sickness is still evident.
There are people who have been placed on a diet because of an existing medical condition but they keep on eating what they should not eat hoping that 'nothing will happen'

A lady had cancer but she kept having 'faith' that it would go away when she knew her faith wasn't strong. By strong faith I mean a strong conviction that circumstances will definitely change. She eventually had to go for chemotherapy but by that time, the cancer had already reached the metastatic stage where the treatment could hardly be of much help to her. She could have delayed the course of the disease and prolonged her life if she had sought for medical help on time.

Let me state clearly that I am not against relying on divine healing. What I'm saying is that God can use anything including drugs to bring your healing.

There are many people who have died untimely due to this practice. People who can hardly trust God for little things instantly become 'faith giants' and refuse medical help when they have life-threatening illnesses. The outcome is usually not good. You don't have to insist on walking on foot when a car is available to take you to your destination.

Thank God for divine healing. In fact, I've witnessed it before. But please if your faith is not strong enough (by the way, what some people have is not even faith, they just live in denial), it is not a bad thing to go for medical treatment. It may be where the solution to your problem lies.

Know when to seek medical help. If you feel that this is against your religious orientation, you may want to have a rethink.

The earth is the Lord's and its fullness including drugs and medical procedures.
God did not allow all these medical breakthroughs we've had over the past century and decades for nothing.
Please as much as you can afford it, avail yourself of the numerous medical help that is available today. There are many deaths that would have been prevented if people sought for medical help on time.

Let me make this clear once again, I have not condemned faith healing neither have I put Medicine on a pedestal.
My point is, God is able to heal people divinely but please do not rule out medical intervention.

Everything is at God's disposal to use and that includes medicines/drugs. So, don't hesitate to visit a health care professional when you need help. Your family and loved ones still need you around (alive) for a long time. smiley

Do you know anyone like Mr Kunle? Counsel and encourage such a person to seek medical help today.

Stay healthy.

Hypocrisy of Religion.

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Nobody: 12:59pm On Oct 31, 2014
SuperMartins:
God will perfect ur healing

1 Like

Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by dare2think: 1:03pm On Oct 31, 2014
If you need to convince people who take faith over medicine, tell them that the pastors and so called men of God take private jets to hospitals in Germany and Israel over the slightest headaches.

If they cannot comprehend that analogy, they are as good as dead anyway. Let them be.
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by Darteyyyy(m): 1:10pm On Oct 31, 2014
God performs miracle.... not magic
Re: Appreciating The Place Of Drugs And Medical Procedures In Handling Of Illnesses. by mygem: 1:10pm On Oct 31, 2014
The problem is with our so called religious leaders when they are sick they travel out for prime care treatment but tell their blind followers to come for fake healing.I witnessed with my eyes when a pastor told a girl to pay 20k for his olive oil before he prays for her.I am a strong practicing christain the Bible says faith without work is dead .when u are ill visit the doctor then pray to God for the treatment to be a success

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8-Year-Old Orphan Dies Of HIV In Borno IDP Camp (Photo) / Man Dies In LUTH As Staff Couldn't Find Person With Key To Oxygen Room / COVID-19: FG To Assist Kano Manage Situation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.