Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) (4514 Views)

Rat Removed From A Patient’s Belly In Abia State (graphic Photo) / Papilloma Deadly Virus Is A Virus Gotten From Kissing, Please Kiss Less Humans / Use Hydrogen Peroxide To Kill Ebola Virus On Surfaces And General Hygiene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by thexyz: 3:02pm On Oct 11, 2014
With West Africa, and indeed the rest of the world, still reeling from the deaths brought about by the Ebola virus, the recent death of a Ugandan hospital technician of another deadly viral disease, Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF), has brought fresh fears, Tribune Newspaper reports.
Uganda’s Ministry of Health disclosed that a total of 99 people who had been in contact with the victim had been moved to quarantine. These contacts are being monitored for signs and symptoms of the disease after tests confirmed that the 30-year-old man who worked as a radiographer in a Kampala hospital died of the disease. The man was said to have had a headache, abdominal pains, diarrhoea and vomited blood before he died.

Marburg virus was first identified in 1967, after simultaneous outbreaks in Marburg (from which the disease takes its name) and Frankfurt both in Germany, Belgrade, Serbia and Yugoslavia. It was later traced back to monkeys imported from Uganda for laboratory work. Since then, the virus has appeared sporadically, with just a dozen outbreaks on record. The most recent outbreak, also in Uganda, in 2012, killed four out of 15 patients, according to the United States of America’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Source: http://www.nta-news.com/2014/10/graphic-photo-another-deadly-virus.html

Re: Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by EventHUB(f): 3:03pm On Oct 11, 2014
my god!
Re: Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by dunkem21(m): 3:08pm On Oct 11, 2014
This one na Ebola senior brother o. See wetin the thing do the guy mouth! FG should be proactive now. All these deadly viruses emanate from monkeys.
#killallmonkeys!
Re: Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by Sparklesebony: 3:12pm On Oct 11, 2014
This got to be a joke. If not...
I comment my reserve for now.
Re: Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by hod898(m): 3:22pm On Oct 11, 2014
dunkem21:
This one na Ebola senior brother o. See wetin the thing do the guy mouth! FG should be proactive now. All these deadly viruses emanate from monkeys.
#killallmonkeys!
Relax, Marburg virus has a fatality rate of about 40-55%; its not more deadly than Ebola but they belong to the same family--Filoviridae. They are both single stranded RNA viruses but Ebola is more deadly.
Re: Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by Ploy(m): 3:26pm On Oct 11, 2014
Sparklesebony:
This got to be a joke. If not...
I comment my reserve for now.

Ebola was not a joke, so is Marburg. The 30 years old technician died early this week. Precisely on Monday, in fact it is a lethal viral infectious disease. May God save the world
Re: Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by hod898(m): 4:25pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ploy:

Ebola was not a joke, so is Marburg. The 30 years old technician died early this week. Precisely on Monday, in fact it is a lethal viral infectious disease. May God save the world
Forget. Marburg's pathogenicity is not sharp as Ebola, so it can't be spread fast. This type of news is meant to scare people. Again, Forget. lipsrsealed
Re: Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by Ploy(m): 7:14pm On Oct 11, 2014
hod898:

Forget. Marburg's pathogenicity is not sharp as Ebola, so it can't be spread fast. This type of news is meant to scare people. Again, Forget. lipsrsealed

I can't argue with b'coz I failed Integrated Science in my JSS3 exams. Seriously, with what I read it's an Ebola-like virus
Re: Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by hod898(m): 7:48pm On Oct 11, 2014
Ploy:

I can't argue with b'coz I failed Integrated Science in my JSS3 exams. Seriously, with what I read it's an Ebola-like virus
Lol. It's very much like Ebola virus because both are in the same family known as Filoviridae. They are both single-stranded, negative sense RNA viruses and both carry out reverse transcriptase. Both are morphologically similar but genetically distinct, that's why the symptoms are alike but the fatality significantly different. Ebola is more life-threatning.
Re: Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by Ploy(m): 8:21pm On Oct 11, 2014
hod898:

Lol. It's very much like Ebola virus because both are in the same family known as Filoviridae. They are both single-stranded, negative sense RNA viruses and both carry out reverse transcriptase. Both are morphologically similar but genetically distinct, that's why the symptoms are alike but the fatality significantly different. Ebola is more life-threatning.

now I'm a bit relive
Re: Graphic Photo: Another Deadly Virus Surfaces- Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever (MHF) by Sparklesebony: 6:55pm On Oct 14, 2014
Ploy:

now I'm a bit relive

The image attached with d post kinda gimme d creeps. But I guess I am a bit relieved also.

@Hod898 Thanks for the explanation.

(1) (Reply)

Doctors In The House I Need Urgent Help / Types Of Scent Leaves / Where Can I Buy Contact Lenses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.