Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,157 members, 7,821,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama (14797 Views)

President Buhari With President Mahama In Ghana Today / Tinubu Mustn’t Influence New Ooni’s Selection – George / President Jonathan With President Mahama Of Ghana At State House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by otumfour(m): 9:36am On Oct 12, 2014
JiggamanGh:

You are making it too easy, I am going to use michael Jackson verse to make my point. Read this carefully.

If You Cant Feed Your Baby (Yeah, Yeah)
Then Don't Have A Baby (Yeah, Yeah)
And Don't Think Maybe (Yeah, Yeah)
If You Can't Feed Your Baby (Yeah, Yeah)
You'll Be Always Tryin'
To Stop That Child From Cryin'
Hustlin', Stealin', Lyin'
Now Baby's Slowly Dyin'

grin grin grin grin

I love this

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by write2obi(m): 9:53am On Oct 12, 2014
yetunsbay:
no hard feeling pls. Could you pls argue dat fr "The power used in Ghana...
Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by otumfour(m): 9:54am On Oct 12, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerians always barking but are as toothless as a 1 week old baby

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by saint047(m): 10:04am On Oct 12, 2014
manck2:

who share what in Nigeria. there is no power for 2hours in a day in nigeria. everybody use generation set in nigeria.
sharraaaaap,stop pondering false info,where I base in abuja,we do have at least 23hrs un interruptible power supply every blessed day. In jos where I use to base,they have nesco light 24hrs every day of the year.so get ur facts ryt mr I knw it all

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by Blackfire(m): 10:12am On Oct 12, 2014
charlie keep poking the big bad good country... wait make we finish boko haram, and 2o15 election, god forgives naija dont
Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 12, 2014
JiggamanGh:

I am glad u got the gist of the song, allow me to school you once more. Before Nigerians started investing in Ghana, Ghana was doing great and Nigerians could have invested elsewhere but they choose Ghana because
1. Ghana is one of safest country in west Africa
2. We are second largest economy and pop in west africa
3. The returns in Ghana is higher than anywhere in west africa including Nigeria becaue of the ease of doing business.
So without Nigeria we will continue thrive like we were before they decided to invest.

Second, the gas Nigeria supply Ghana contribute less than 10% to the national grid. Without it we will be okay as long as we find other means which we are currently doing.

Trust me should Ghana and Nigeria decide to go their separate way, it will help Nigerians more than it would help Ghana, especially the three million nigerians that school, live and do business in Ghana.

Ps Ghana doesnt import a single agriculture products uct from Nigeria.
You are right about No 1. except that my friend was almost killed on his way home from Airport.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by udemzyudex(m): 10:41am On Oct 12, 2014
write2obi:

grin yes say what u know, I've been to Ghana and they only focus on supplying power to the developed areas while the undeveloped areas suffer while Nigeria on the other hand tried to share what we generate to both the rich and the poor. The power used in Ghana as a country, will not serve half of Lagos state , so chill kid brother grin

grin i was laughing when i heard Ghana want to start exporting electricity to Nigeria..
Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by write2obi(m): 2:21pm On Oct 12, 2014
udemzyudex:

grin i was laughing when i heard Ghana want to start exporting electricity to Nigeria..

grin grin grin maybe for my Grandma's hot plate
Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by londoner: 4:30pm On Oct 12, 2014
We need to attempt to supply our own needs, before we thnk about opening anything to others, any more than we are now.. Why would we import when we can work on supplying ourselves?

Seriously, the Ghanaian president is out of step with the direction Nigeria is taking. We are rather going down the road to being as self sufficient as possible. You can invest in Nigeria, then supply our market, from within our shores. Simple.

Investing in Nigeria, employing majority Nigerians and paying the appropriate business tax.

Nigeria is FINALLY putting the interests of its own citizens first.

Some Gh posters love to mention unemployment or poverty in Nigeria, well if we supply our own needs that is a good way to reduce poverty and raise employment levels, right?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by londoner: 4:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
...We don't fear competition.............That's Laughable....lol

Not too long ago, Nigerian traders were stopped from trading at markets, as it was for "Ghanaians only".......Clearly his people didn't ascribe to his "competition is good" advice.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by JiggamanGh: 5:41pm On Oct 12, 2014
londoner:
We need to attempt to supply our own needs, before we thnk about opening anything to others, any more than we are now.. Why would we import when we can work on supplying ourselves?

Seriously, the Ghanaian president is out of step with the direction Nigeria is taking. We are rather going down the road to being as self sufficient as possible. You can invest in Nigeria, then supply our market, from within our shores. Simple.

Investing in Nigeria, employing majority Nigerians and paying the appropriate business tax.

Nigeria is FINALLY putting the interests of its own citizens first.

Some Gh posters love to mention unemployment or poverty in Nigeria, well if we supply our own needs that is a good way to reduce poverty and raise employment levels, right?

Well then Nigeria shouldnt be exporting their products to other african countries especially Ghana. You want us to open our borders for you but you dont want to do the same for us.
Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by JiggamanGh: 5:44pm On Oct 12, 2014
udemzyudex:

Well is enough to serve Ghana. Now do you enough to serve your people?
Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by londoner: 6:16pm On Oct 12, 2014
JiggamanGh:

Well then Nigeria shouldnt be exporting their products to other african countries especially Ghana. You want us to open our borders for you but you dont want to do the same for us.

Other countries, including Ghana are buying exports from Nigeria. Which means there was a demand which is serviced.

It's not done by force, is it? We are saying we will not import, where our own people produce the same.

The borders are open, for those ready to come in and invest.......Instead of saying its just for "Nigerians" like Gh did for the markets, we are saying 'made in Nigeria', which means we are open for investment, and the market is still open for those that INVEST.

For now, we need to look after our own people. If it's at the expense of others for now, so be it. Those "others" don't mnd when it's their turn, do they?

If you ask me, I'll take Nigeria being self sufficient. Any way you look at it, an open Nigeria gives Ghana etc. a market of 170 million people and counting (that's probably why your president wants open borders).............how many countries in Africa are going to add up to that population for Nigeria to export to?

Over the coming years, Nigeria needs to be inward looking and reducing imports. We are doing this, whether it's from ECOWAS countries or not. There is a coming 'Made in Nigeria' bill, so if I were somebody hoping to sell to Nigerians, I would set up shop on Nigerian soil.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by PhockPhockMan: 6:48pm On Oct 12, 2014
olrotimi:

this one is high on cheap weed,its soo cheap thats why you have made it ur 3sq meal. FYI seat allocation isnt by population but by economic contributions. Do you know how much each country contributes to the ECOWAS?
Nigeria constitute 75% of West African economy, so if vote is allocated according to that, you know the result. During the first ECOWAS meeting on Ebola, Nigeria donated 2 million dollars, how much did Mahama and his tiny mushroom nation contributed? Now he want us to open our border so that western nations use them to flood our market with substandard goods.
NO WAY.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 12, 2014
write2obi:

grin grin grin maybe for my Grandma's hot plate

Oh dear... grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by Nobody: 7:03pm On Oct 12, 2014
udemzyudex:

Omo, same here mehn... I was thinking, Ghana that hasn't supplied half its population with any electricity at all, is now going to be supplying NIGERIA electricity? Just....madness.
Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by comrChris(m): 7:10pm On Oct 12, 2014
Sometimes l wonder if this ghanian president do take excess local weed before making comment,first it was exporting electricity to nigeria and now they don't fear competiting with nigeria hmm he wants competition and he choosed nigeria of all nation,just more like goat choosing lion for a fight
Ghanians are not trust worthy so doing business with them with all their hate for nigeria/nigerians is way not acceptable
Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by JiggamanGh: 7:16pm On Oct 12, 2014
londoner:

Other countries, including Ghana are buying exports from Nigeria. Which means there was a demand which is serviced.

It's not done by force, is it? We are saying we will not import, where our own people produce the same.

The borders are open, for those ready to come in and invest.......Instead of saying its just for "Nigerians" like Gh did for the markets, we are saying 'made in Nigeria', which means we are open for investment, and the market is still open for those that INVEST.

For now, we need to look after our own people. If it's at the expense of others for now, so be it. Those "others" don't mnd when it's their turn, do they?

If you ask me, I'll take Nigeria being self sufficient. Any way you look at it, an open Nigeria gives Ghana etc. a market of 170 million people and counting (that's probably why your president wants open borders).............how many countries in Africa are going to add up to that population for Nigeria to export to?

Over the coming years, Nigeria needs to be inward looking and reducing imports. We are doing this, whether it's from ECOWAS countries or not. There is a coming 'Made in Nigeria' bill, so if I were somebody hoping to sell to Nigerians, I would set up shop on Nigerian soil.

Then get out of ecowas. Ecowas means free movement of goods and people. Why should a company come to nigeria in order to produce goods for the nigerian market. The point of every business is to minimize cost and maximize profits. Producing some products in Nigeria will cost more to produce than the selling price. Why would any company want to do that when they get do that for cheaper and export. Creating business in Nigeria is harder than any where in west Africa, couple that with security problems, energy problems, transportation problems. The company would go bankrupt before it even sell a product. These are multinational companies like shell who can afford to do so

Ps I was against Ghana limiting petty trades to Ghanains only but if Nigeria is going to behave this way, then let dog eat dog. One thing i have learn about Nigeria is rule of law and contracts mean nothing to them. Is high Ghana cut ties with Nigeria and look to forge more partnership with other west african countries expecially francophone countries. In africa Kenya and south africa would be great allies.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by JiggamanGh: 7:23pm On Oct 12, 2014
comrChris:
Sometimes l wonder if this ghanian president do take excess local weed before making comment,first it was exporting electricity to nigeria and now they don't fear competiting with nigeria hmm he wants competition and he choosed nigeria of all nation,just more like goat choosing lion for a fight
Ghanians are not trust worthy so doing business with them with all their hate for nigeria/nigerians is way not acceptable

Then stay in your country, we dont want to see nollywood movies ot your music, we dont want to see any nigerians in Ghana. Ask your nollywood and musicians after Nigeria where do they make most of their money. Hypocrites, all you guys know how to do is cry and b.i.t.c.h about other countries, while doing the same thing you cry about.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by PhockPhockMan: 7:25pm On Oct 12, 2014
skyeboy98:
What do they have in ghana that they will export to nigeria? Am a nigerian presently in gh.ghana that is importing everything that they use from detergent to tablet soap,blade even the intestine that they eat are imported from china mumu country and they jealous naijas a lot very lazy poeple.the other time this same jdm said they want to start importing electrycity to nigeria,nonsense, do they have good electrycity in gh? The answer is no, apart from accra there are other regions that I ve been to where they don't even ve pole left alone electrycity, now is talking about fear of competition, with who? Ghana people that doesn't know how to do business left alon competition, I challenge jmd to tell me how many ghanians company that we have in nigeria? none, but so many nigerian companies in ghana to mention but few MAHOGANY that produce one of the funiture here in gh GLO,I challenge any ghanian hear to say what I have just said is lie then I will bring some prove out again,competition my foot
When Michelin left Nigeria to Ghana because of their so called steady power, little did they know they're writing their epitaph. They need Nigeria market seriously for survival.
How many cars are in ghana sef.
Mtcheeeeewww.
Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by JiggamanGh: 7:26pm On Oct 12, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Omo, same here mehn... I was thinking, Ghana that hasn't supplied half its population with any electricity at all, is now going to be supplying NIGERIA electricity? Just....madness.

Another ignorant fool, the facts are right in Front of you but u refuse to look at it. Ghana provides electricity to more than 75% of his pop while Nigeria supply only to 55% and it doesnt even stay on for 2 hours. Ghana also supply electricity to togo, burkina faso. Do your reaearch before you open your mouth.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by JiggamanGh: 7:31pm On Oct 12, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
When Michelin left Nigeria to Ghana because of their so called steady power, little did they know they're writing their epitaph. They need Nigeria market seriously for survival.
How many cars are in ghana sef.
Mtcheeeeewww.

Is not just about how many but the quality. One problem i have with you nigerians is everything is about quantity. How many of your 170 million people have cars when 70% of them lives on less than a $ a day. We are talking about quality and not quantity.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by JiggamanGh: 7:34pm On Oct 12, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
Nigeria constitute 75% of West African economy, so if vote is allocated according to that, you know the result. During the first ECOWAS meeting on Ebola, Nigeria donated 2 million dollars, how much did Mahama and his tiny mushroom nation contributed? Now he want us to open our border so that western nations use them to flood our market with substandard goods.
NO WAY.

You donated 2 million yet nigeria was one of the extreme poor countries. A country where 70% lives on less than a $ a day. I would worry about that if i were you.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by londoner: 7:50pm On Oct 12, 2014
JiggamanGh:

Then get out of ecowas. Ecowas means free movement of goods and people. Why should a company come to nigeria in order to produce goods for the nigerian market. The point of every business is to minimize cost and maximize profits. Producing some products in Nigeria will cost more to produce than the selling price. Why would any company want to do that when they get do that for cheaper and export. Creating business in Nigeria is harder than any where in west Africa, couple that with security problems, energy problems, transportation problems. The company would go bankrupt before it even sell a product. These are multinational companies like shell who can afford to do so

Ps I was against Ghana limiting petty trades to Ghanains only but if Nigeria is going to behave this way, then let dog eat dog. One thing i have learn about Nigeria is rule of law and contracts mean nothing to them. Is high Ghana cut ties with Nigeria and look to forge more partnership with other west african countries expecially francophone countries. In africa Kenya and south africa would be great allies.

Ghana can make allies with whomever they like, you should not limit yourself anyway, we aren't. Besides it's a global economy now. The likes of SA are investing in Nigeria, we already have trade links with them. It's very hard for countries to ignore a country of 170 million. When it comes to selling goods/services Nigeria will always be an attractive choice.

You may well have been against limiting petty trades to Ghanaians, but your governent (the same one that is now talking) passed a law that made it illegal for non-Ghanaians to be involved in trades and gave them their marching orders. This came after a ridiculous former notion of making people pay $300,000. Not to mention the money Nigerian banks hadto pay to enter your market and the stipulations they had to meet.

Is that free movement of persons? Sounds to me, like they attempted to put barriers and hurdles to others to enter the market, whether Ecowas or not. After the few hurdles Ghana has attempted put into place, they have no leg to stand on, when talking about free trade in the region.

All you need to do, is to set u shop in Nigeria. If that idea is so distasteful to the average Ghanaian business man/woman....then simply stay out or pay whatever levy the gov imposes on goods not made in Nigeria.

Why should a company set up shop in NIgeria, because in the long run it will cost more to import and sell goods not made in Nigeria, to the Nigerian market. This is where these goods are produced in Nigeria. The last few months has seen car manufacturing companies set up shop in Nigeria. Why? Because imported cars were to attract a levy, which made the juicy prospect of selling to Nigerians less so.

We don't just want to be sold to anymore. We want investment, skills exchange, employment creation and business tax.

Its time others stopped simply feeding fat off Nigeria. Its's time we used our population size to our advantage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by PhockPhockMan: 8:23pm On Oct 12, 2014
JiggamanGh:

You donated 2 million yet nigeria was one of the extreme poor countries. A country where 70% lives on less than a $ a day. I would worry about that if i were you.
If truly 70% of nigerians live on less than 1$ a day, why are you desperate to see our border opened, who will buy those goods?
I sure your fellow GAYnanians are embarrassed with your low level of I Q.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by londoner: 8:34pm On Oct 12, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
If truly 70% of nigerians live on less than 1$ a day, why are you desperate to see our border opened, who will buy those goods?

You read my thoughts. It's not just Ghana, many countries are wanting to enter the Nigerian market.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by JiggamanGh: 9:21pm On Oct 12, 2014
PhockPhockMan:

Yes 70% of Nigerians live on less than a $ a day. It is a fact, don't get mad with me take it with the people that came up with the statistics. When the same people proclaimed Nigeria the number economy is africa I didn't see any complaints from you hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by JiggamanGh: 9:22pm On Oct 12, 2014
londoner:

You read my thoughts. It's not just Ghana, many countries are wanting to enter the Nigerian market.

Just like Nigerians want to enter our market and other market.

Ask the dude if Ghana population is not up to lagos state then why are your people crying when we decided to limit petty trades to Ghanaians.
Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by JiggamanGh: 9:32pm On Oct 12, 2014
londoner:

Ghana can make allies with whomever they like, you should not limit yourself anyway, we aren't. Besides it's a global economy now. The likes of SA are investing in Nigeria, we already have trade links with them. It's very hard for countries to ignore a country of 170 million. When it comes to selling goods/services Nigeria will always be an attractive choice.

You may well have been against limiting petty trades to Ghanaians, but your governent (the same one that is now talking) passed a law that made it illegal for non-Ghanaians to be involved in trades and gave them their marching orders. This came after a ridiculous former notion of making people pay $300,000. Not to mention the money Nigerian banks hadto pay to enter your market and the stipulations they had to meet.

Is that free movement of persons? Sounds to me, like they attempted to put barriers and hurdles to others to enter the market, whether Ecowas or not. After the few hurdles Ghana has attempted put into place, they have no leg to stand on, when talking about free trade in the region.

All you need to do, is to set u shop in Nigeria. If that idea is so distasteful to the average Ghanaian business man/woman....then simply stay out or pay whatever levy the gov imposes on goods not made in Nigeria.

Why should a company set up shop in NIgeria, because in the long run it will cost more to import and sell goods not made in Nigeria, to the Nigerian market. This is where these goods are produced in Nigeria. The last few months has seen car manufacturing companies set up shop in Nigeria. Why? Because imported cars were to attract a levy, which made the juicy prospect of selling to Nigerians less so.

We don't just want to be sold to anymore. We want investment, skills exchange, employment creation and business tax.

Its time others stopped simply feeding fat off Nigeria. Its's time we used our population size to our advantage.

Like I said earlier in my post, nigeria is not a country you sign contract or go to union with, because it has proven time and time again that the rule of law is alien to the country. After researching the unfair practices nigeria government has been exporting to other african countries. I am all in favor of Ghana government and other Government doing what is best for their people.

The union that is Nigeria is not to be taken serious because up till it happen in Nigeria. I never knew a citizen can be deported from his country on birth but it happened in Nogeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by PhockPhockMan: 9:33pm On Oct 12, 2014
otumfour:
grin grin grin grin grin

Nigerians always barking but are as toothless as a 1 week old baby

Yes o o, your president is toothful bulldog that cry like a day old baby.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by londoner: 9:37pm On Oct 12, 2014
JiggamanGh:

Just like Nigerians want to enter our market and other market.

Ask the dude if Ghana population is not up to lagos state then why are your people crying when we decided to limit petty trades to Ghanaians.

Nigerians expand into other countries and will continue to. We actually INVEST in other countries and create jobs. we don't just sit in Nigeria and sell to other countries to collect money.

Those traders are obviously those that could not make it in Nigeria, of course they will be upset, they were making a living which was abruptly stopped. They have nothing to cry about though.

To be honest, I think they should all come home anyway. We need all hands on deck, right now. Besides, they will benefit from the coming bills in Nigeria.

At least, instead of pleading with Mahama, GEJ is actually formulating and passing bills and initiatives to support the growth of industry and employment in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Mustn’t Fear Competition From Ghana – President Mahama by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 12, 2014
JiggamanGh:

Another ignorant fool, the facts are right in Front of you but u refuse to look at it. Ghana provides electricity to more than 75% of his pop while Nigeria supply only to 55% and it doesnt even stay on for 2 hours. Ghana also supply electricity to togo, burkina faso. Do your reaearch before you open your mouth.

You're not even ashamed to be quoting ''75%'' for your electricity access. A country with only 24 million people, endowed with world class resources. Where is all the money going? Is Kuwait still talking of electricity access? Or UAE? These are the countries you should be rubbing shoulders with, in terms of living standards. You share the same demographics - huge resources, small population. Yet you're here dwelling on Nigeria. A place with 170 million folks to sort out. Meanwhile the much heralded oil reserves + daily barrel exports of Nigeria are less than Kuwait's (pop. 3.5 million). Man for man, Ghana is more endowed with natural resources than Nigeria. That GOLD alone you produce, should have taken care of every material need by now, throughout the country. Your living standards should be far and above Nigeria's. But they're not. Why?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Breaking News Sad! Look At What I Saw Today I Have To Take The Picture Myself / Minimum Wage: Expect N100,000 From 2019, Sowore Tells Workers / Lai Mohammed Approved N2.5 Billion ‘fraudulent’ Payment, But Claims Ignorance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.