Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,216 members, 7,829,358 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

Would You Be Any Different If You Were President/governor Etc? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would You Be Any Different If You Were President/governor Etc? (760 Views)

Buhari Is A Very Humble President – Governor Ayade / Jonathan Is A disappointment but why should We Believe GMB Will be Any Different / I Would‘ve Fired Diezani If I Were President – Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Be Any Different If You Were President/governor Etc? by Ilelobola: 6:32pm On Nov 11, 2008
Obama winning the US election got me thinking we need change in Nigeria from the cycle of same leaders we seem to have. I got talking with my aunt and having thought about it over a few days, I’m not sure I will be totally different to the current and past presidents. Well, I refused a position I was headhunted for with a Nigerian company because it is owned by a former governor that did nothing for his people … I am principled afterall … As much as I feel I would actually provide for the people, I can’t help thinking, I will have to give contracts etc to close family and friends to help them. I suppose that’s where it starts. My aunt said, I wouldn’t do that and she was sure none of us would.

Shortly afterwards, my cousin returns from work and she joins in our conversation. Later, my aunt asks her if she has heard from her friend who is special adviser to another governor that perhaps she (my cousin) might be able to get a contract through her. I was like, my point exactly, it is just the Nigerian mentality or perhaps it is African. Hence the Kenyans believing their lot would change because of Obama, unfortunately he is not like the typical African (leader) who would siphon money meant for a purpose for another. So I wonder, can anyone honestly say they would be totally different, no biased contract allocations etc.
Re: Would You Be Any Different If You Were President/governor Etc? by diggler(m): 7:56pm On Nov 11, 2008
Its very very easy to different in our Setting

Just make up your mind, to make enemies of everyone you've known since u popped out of the womb.
I couldnt help but laugh the way ur Aunt inadvertently countered herself immediately.

That my friend is the problem we have in this country.
We have failed to understand that culturally, certain acts that are term nepotism in the West are part and parcel of our genetic makeup.

In china & much of Southeast Asia , there is an institutionalized system that they have which caters for all eventualities.
The reason why their economies & societies are advancing is that they've accepted that u can't adopt all facets of western culture.

more examples, Singapore has been run by practically one family, yet its one of SE Asia's/the worlds financial superpowers and a democracy where Uncle Umoru 'confusion+go-slow' Yar'adua can learn a thing or two about the 'Rule of Law'.
try spitting out gum on the side walk there and see what'll happen to ur behind.

So the day we stop lying to ourselves and shun the Institutionalized hypocrisy eating us alive, then shall we proceed.
Re: Would You Be Any Different If You Were President/governor Etc? by laralash: 3:31pm On Nov 12, 2008
My bro-in-law asked the same question and we concluded we may be a bit similar, hence we have stopped moaning about our leaders. I think we should still be moaning.
Re: Would You Be Any Different If You Were President/governor Etc? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 12, 2008
@diggler

Its not in anyway a genetic makeup. Its simply has to do with poverty, illiteracy, wickedness and nigerians willingliness to be dumb, corrupt and hypocritical at all times. Why is it that they dont behave that way when they are in a civilized environment?

As for the kenyans, most of them actually said that they were rejoicing simply because Obama has a kenyan blood and not because obama was going to relocate white house to Nairobi.

@topic

I, most of members of my family and a few friends have been different and we hope to continue being different. If i cant vouch for them, i sure can for myself.
Re: Would You Be Any Different If You Were President/governor Etc? by Kobojunkie: 9:55pm On Nov 12, 2008
@Poster, had it not been for what happened in America only a couple of days ago, you would not have been to imagine good government ever for your own Nigeria? Na wa for you ooo!!! Roflmao!!!
Re: Would You Be Any Different If You Were President/governor Etc? by Ilelobola: 1:46pm On Nov 13, 2008
Dear kobojunkie

Simply because I said I thought Nigeria needed change right after Obama’s victory does not mean I have never thought about it. I was trying to keep my post brief and to the point.

I have lived in the UK for 15 years now and I have never stopped wondering why my country cannot be very similar to here at least in terms of basic amenities. I have never stopped thinking of all those who lived here (exiled or otherwise) and the other “Western world countries” and went on to govern in Nigeria but did not implement any of the good things they saw and enjoyed back in Nigeria. I was in Dubai recently and on learning that they only started building the country 18 years ago, could not stop thinking why our lot seems to be different.

Obama’s victory served as food for thought for a lot of people I know. It made you think even more as to how you may change your world for the better, raise your child to bring out the best in them etc. Hence it helped me refocus more on the need for change in Nigeria. It also highlights the need to focus on the task at hand and the goal. Did you notice he made no direct personal attacks on Senator McCain and Governor Palin or even President Bush? He only attacked policies. Try not to make personal remarks or prejudge.

And please educate me, what does Roflmao mean? Seen it on many posts here. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Who Is The Best President In Nigeria's History? / Yar Adua Want Land Act Amend Plan To Give The North All Land In The South(jihad / Up Mimiko!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.