Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? (28162 Views)

Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) / How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate / Degrees With Lowest Employment Prospects In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Remmzy(m): 2:56am On Aug 02, 2006
[b][/b][color=#000099][/color] Nigerians in the U.S.A do Need an answer: how would someone that is doing well in nigeria come over to US & will be advice or demanded to start afresh,  is it that your B.Sc B.Eng e.t.c. or your {nigeria} working experience is a waste.  Men need quick answer,  please! angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by ZuluNation(m): 3:02am On Aug 02, 2006
Remmzy:

[b][/b][color=#000099][/color] Nigerians in da U.S.A do Need an answer: hw wuld someone that is doin well in naija come over to US & will be advice or demanded to begin from the scracth, is it that your B.Sc B.eng, e.t.c. or your naija working experience is a waiste, Men quick answer, please! angry angry angry

Just proves your point right there, you can't spell or even  take the time to use the spell check and you ask why some Nigerian have to start fresh. cry
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Remmzy(m): 3:16am On Aug 02, 2006
[b][/b][color=#000099][/color] Yu dont av to grow dat mad @ me cos of spellins but tank God yu do understand d point am tryin to make , dont be dat bad my guy, if uve got no ans the move on, let someone answer me,
ok, but tanx men!
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by ZuluNation(m): 3:20am On Aug 02, 2006
Remmzy:

[b][/b][color=#000099][/color] Yu don't av to grow that mad @ me because of spellins but tank God yu do understand d point am tryin to make , don't be that bad my guy, if uve got no ans the move on, let someone answer me,
ok, but thanks men!

shocked shocked shocked Oh my God what are you doing to yourself. shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by georgee(m): 7:25am On Aug 03, 2006
Am crapping up in here.
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by inspiredm(m): 12:45am On Aug 12, 2006
Anyboby doing well in Nigeria and leaves for America hoping to start afresh is leaving certainty for uncertainty, anybody really doing "well" in Nigeria would only want to come to America to spend a few days of vacation and return home, and when i mean doing well i mean doing WELL.
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Remmzy(m): 12:48am On Aug 12, 2006
Like that keep up the good work grin
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by GNature(m): 1:12am On Aug 12, 2006
It is very unfortunate that many nigerians have to start afresh
even though they have degrees and work experience from nigeria.

But you can go to grad school once you get here. Your graduate
degree would count as an American degree and you can use it
to get a decent job.

Alternatively, you can get a second bachelors degree. Its just
about 30 credits to get one.
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Remmzy(m): 1:19am On Aug 12, 2006
@Gnature, word my man word! you are one of the guys i believe can really help other naija's  entering into the state. We are suppose to be our brother's keeper.
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by GNature(m): 2:12am On Aug 12, 2006
@Remmzy

Thanks man. Anytime
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Remmzy(m): 2:24pm On Aug 12, 2006
@Gnature its all good, you are welcome! smiley
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by onlygirl(f): 5:49pm On Aug 22, 2006
this is an all men affair,the thing abt the discrimination is in our system here at home ,here u r not respected until u prove a point,so i believe u should do extra work on ur study to gain their respect.Peace.

onlygirl
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Remmzy(m): 7:34pm On Aug 22, 2006
onlygirl:

this is an all men affair,the thing about the discrimination is in our system here at home ,here you're not respected until u prove a point,so i believe u should do extra work on your study to gain their respect.Peace.

onlygirl
its never a men affair, all i nid is ur contribution. Helping ourselves wit some advice,   cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by newbie: 6:05pm On Aug 23, 2006
@zulunation
I must say u exhibited naivity in ur post. What has spelling right got to do with a forum? If you know u cant be of help or dont know things about stuffs think its better being mute rather than groping for the keyboard and trying to play the sarcastic fellow on others.

@topic
I am so passionate about this topic because thats the problem an facing now and cant afford zulu to distract intellectuals from contributing their thotful quotas to this topic. Let me relate my ordeal:
I just moved in to the states 2 months ago,almost 3 now(with legal and very complete papers). I filled in so many applications(only God knows how many now) and up till now I havent found a Job. My resume shows i have worked at three places all in Nigeria and that i have National Diploma also from a polytchenic in nigeria.
I thought by the second month I should be able to secure a job but am on the 3rd month and nothing is forthcoming yet. A job agent once told me its probably because of my Job experience;being outside the US.
Pls fellow members in diaspora (US specifically) give advice to a brother in need. Let me know how u also went about your first job. Thanks in anticipation to your sensible and useful words.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 23, 2006
Below university, Nigeria is better than america (this isn't hear-say)

But once you get to university, if you don't migrate, then DONT EVER MIGRATE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by theopops: 12:08am On Aug 24, 2006
Newbie, hit me up on theopops@yahoo.com. I can give you advice on what to do. I can also share things with you that you need to know about residing in Americaa. It definitely not the way you thot. Not to worry, you will get something soon, believe me you will.

@ topic, because Americans do not respect any one and also, they want to be sure you have the right education and that you have invested into your education here and that you are ready to give back to the society what they have taught you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by dennylove(m): 1:16am On Aug 24, 2006
Abeg,theopops give newbie more advice about what to do before he gets FRUSTRATED
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Remmzy(m): 4:59am On Aug 24, 2006
@topic
I am so passionate about this topic because thats the problem an facing now and can't afford zulu to distract intellectuals from contributing their thotful quotas to this topic. Let me relate my ordeal:
I just moved in to the states 2 months ago,almost 3 now(with legal and very complete papers). I filled in so many applications(only God knows how many now) and up till now I havent found a Job. My resume shows i have worked at three places all in Nigeria and that i have National Diploma also from a polytchenic in nigeria.
I thought by the second month I should be able to secure a job but am on the 3rd month and nothing is forthcoming yet. A job agent once told me its probably because of my Job experience;being outside the US.
Please fellow members in diaspora (US specifically) give advice to a brother in need. Let me know how u also went about your first job. Thanks in anticipation to your sensible and useful words.

[quote][/quote]
now today, i was @ an engineering firm for an interview guess what? we were like 12 they drooped 9 remain 3 of us{2 white & 1 black man} this guy just came into the interview room ask after the guy from south Carolina, a Whitty answered yes & dats it . And beleive yu me, the HR said am best fit for the Job but that matters no more, Make black man 4get the rest even with my havin much more experience than the whitties. Men it touched me so well, but av decided to do something about it!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by lioness(f): 9:01am On Aug 24, 2006
Na wao! undecided

Its so sad, i wonder whats chasing nigerians to go take such bullshits from foreign land.
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by twinkledew(f): 1:56pm On Aug 24, 2006
i have noticed that most Nigerian Parents can afford to pay international fees for their kids but damn it is so expensive for home students to pay home fees. is it that most Nigerians are richer?
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by omogenaija(f): 5:27pm On Aug 24, 2006
inspired_m:

Anyboby doing well in Nigeria and leaves for America hoping to start afresh is leaving certainty for uncertainty, anybody really doing "well" in Nigeria would only want to come to America to spend a few days of vacation and return home, and when i mean doing well i mean doing WELL.

thats true,
if u plan on coming to start a life, u better have some good ass connections or u will end up doing CNA , trucking, or a cleaning job which u will have to work long hard hours to make it
but it will be worth it as u do that work u get lil rises here and there
and when u retire u will enjoy
but lots of ppl arent ready to do that
not everybody is gonna work for a big company
life is hard even here in america like they say "ko easy"
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Makeda(f): 6:55pm On Aug 24, 2006
@GNature
30 Credits to get a bachelors degree in America?
What school is that?? I am an American and I do hold a bachelor's degree from an American university and I had to have 120 credits to receive my bachelor's degree.
What school did you attend? What did you study?
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Remmzy(m): 8:54pm On Aug 24, 2006
lioness:

Na wao! undecided

Its so sad, i wonder whats chasing nigerians to go take such bullshits from foreign land.
that which took you out of naija. cool
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by funloving(m): 10:59pm On Aug 24, 2006
If a fella has a Master's degree from a British University and has worked a few years in Nigeria and/or UK, what are his chances of landing a decent job in the US ?

I hope I get a good answer to this.
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Liketoo: 1:16am On Aug 25, 2006
"""" I havent found a Job. My resume shows i have worked at three places all in Nigeria and that i have National Diploma also from a polytchenic in nigeria."""'

HND in America is worthless,  trust me,  let me help you,  go back to school, 
If you have an B. Eng from Nigeria you do not know anything,  my brother go back to school,  if you too old,  just take part time course or cert,    if possible PHD, 

In you have B eng,  become a tech and not an engineer,  Always apply for a tech job,    Tech make more money then Engineers,  I beg them you would take any salary,  that you are open,  now,  when you get in upgrade yourself,    If you are a tech ,  you may make base on piece work  about $30 to $50  calculate that would give you close to $90,000 in the your first 2 years,  while before an engineer get there,  it would take about 10 to 15 years,     if you drop a line from a transmission line you get about $60 depeneding on where it is going,  and what it is doing,  either telephone , cable , internet , electricity,  i use to do it so i know the price, 

Engineering in nigeria is nonsense really,  you need to learn alot to deal with America engineering,  Even a Nigeria Prof, does not know anything except if he school abroad, 

If you are old,  don't be ashame to go to school ,  I would continue to go to school till I am 50 years,  because of my job. technology changes everyday,  so i need to continue to learn new things,  since i have been over here,  I have gone to 4 schools already,  and i had a B .eng, I just applied to another school again,  because of the changing world,  I would continue to changes just like tech changes,   if you write software new versions comes out everyday,  voice activation design,  soft touch and so on,  how many nigeria computer and electrical prof can design a software,          Can anyone answer this question why do computers have Notepad , word pad and microsoft word,    ?? they all perform the same function true or false,

Nigeria student should learn that closing down the school is not for their own good,

I have a plan to educate over 400,000 each years,  I have the technology,   and equipment to do so,  I just need a University licence from the Nigeria Govt,  But I would not pay that amount nigeria govt ask for,  if they want they should pm me,  and I would tell them my idea,  each year 400,000 would recieve university education and it would be cheap about half the price private university are offering,     no mind my pinkin english
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Txlonghorn(m): 1:38am On Aug 25, 2006
What really gets to me is when I see folks from Nigeria in the States that claim to be Eng, Attorneys, or Biochemist and can't even complete a simple sentence.It makes you wonder what kind of education you get in Nigeria. I did my intern in a HR dept of a prominent Company in Houston and I can't start telling you the kind of nonsense you have to listen to. And you blame the company for being racist toward Africans.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by newbie: 2:49am On Aug 25, 2006
Just nailed two jobs today. I am confused on which one to choose. Guess God doesnt forsake his pple. theopops we can still talk i added u on my YIM.
@liketoo
I not an old soul, am much young just 2 decades old. And i intend starting skool next year,just needed sth to get me by. I came here to succeed and am ready to give it whatever it entails even to the extent of playing lotteries (j/k). I will attend the best skools and get best grades. Cus i know if i study here the way i did back home then nuttin is stoppin me except the witches in nigeria didnt go back at the airport grin ( they all died midair)
@txlonghorn
I agree with all u said. Nigeria produces a lot of educated "illiterates". Probably because of the poor educational system of the country but all will be well and if they like they shouldnt make it well at least mobolowon.

Thanks to everyone who cared.
One love!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Ndipe(m): 3:00am On Aug 25, 2006
Good question. At first, I would have attributed racism as the reason for the reluctance for American companies to hire Nigerians/Africans in their respective field, but having lived abroad for quite some time now, I would disagree if those charges were brought up. Back in Naija, I interned in some department at a bank that had absolutely no relevance to my course of study in college. But did I have a choice? The lure of money was more attractive than sweating it out at a newspaper (which, I think were not even accepting interns). So, did I gain any worthy experience at the bank at the end of the programe? Sincerely, nothing, aside from the paycheck. Now, that is the norm on campus, at least during my days as a student, intern at a company that would reward you financially and at your graduation, try and lobby for a permanent job.

When I moved out here, I found out on the importance of internship programs. Some students are willing to take an unpaid internship programe just for the experience which would prove valuable for them after graduation. When the HR director scans at your resume and notices that your experiences matches the vacancy advertised, and there is a contact number for them to pursue one's previous work experience, then that applicant stands a better chance of snagging the job than their newly arrived and desperate Nigerian counterpart who has no solid experiences needed for the job. Working for Julius Berger, and including that on your resume wont make an impact, compared to an Engineer who graduated from Stanford and offered inputs on improving Mass Transit in the area. In that case, the thought of racism wont even crop up on my mind, because the difference is 7up wink (clear).

However it may be a different case for people of different colors who have the same experience.

Cheers,

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Liketoo: 4:31pm On Aug 25, 2006
Txlonghorn (m)

Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why?
« #25 on: Today at 01:38:57 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What really gets to me is when I see folks from Nigeria in the States that claim to be Eng, Attorneys, or Biochemist and can't even complete a simple sentence.It makes you wonder what kind of education you get in Nigeria. I did my intern in a HR debt of a prominent Company in Houston and I can't start telling you the kind of nonsense you have to listen to. And you blame the company for being racist toward Africans.

Txlonghorn , I have a question for you,, Is it true that the President of the USA went to Yale and Harvard, and cant still not speak correct english?? Over and Over again CNN shows that the President of America with YAle and Harvard degree does not know how to speak good english, does it matter the english, the people from china do not speak english, but all of them are smarted than you,
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by stranger: 12:51am On Aug 26, 2006
Liketoo
xlonghorn , I have a question for you,, Is it true that the President of the USA went to Yale and Harvard, and can't still not speak correct english?? Over and Over again CNN shows that the President of America with YAle and Harvard degree does not know how to speak good english, does it matter the english, the people from china do not speak english, but all of them are smarted than you,

Another idiot Nigerian yarning dust. Must you bring up CNN opinions. If you watch CNN , you owe it to ursef to critically listen to what they say. U (liketoo) are a big idiot for bringing up Cnn opinion without understanding the context in which those allegations were made. You cannot even give an example of ur supposed" bad english " spoken by the Laeder of the Freeworld. Next time when u hear something , Crtically analyse it to make sure u understand the context in which any allegations is made. This will save u any embarrassement in public. In 30yrs time u and ur family cannot and will not be able to spaek at the same level of spoken english , Pres. Bush is right Now.
Talking about ppl from China, Who ever told you chinese do not speak English? The Chinese i have come across in America do speak good English . Also, Not all chinese are smart. Evry society has in varying degrees diff kinds of pple, From the overly smart to the extremely dumb.just as somalia has extremely smart ppl, so does china has dumb ppls.With ur unproven allegations and stereotype, u 've just shown the world how naive ,immature and unexposed u r. I have nothing against u but next time think with ur head instead of ur Keyboard.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by Liketoo: 7:38am On Aug 26, 2006
what wrong with you, everybody knows that George Bush does not know how to speak english, Most American who finish the university do not , They speak incorrect english, So please dont tell me about america, It is people like John Kerry , lou Dobbs and others that can claim to.
Re: Nigerian Degrees And Work Experience Are Disregarded In America. Why? by twinkledew(f): 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2006
@ Stranger

you dont have to get too personal. Dont make it a Nigerian thingy. Not all chinese or anyone from other country(ies) can speak proper English. some chinese peeps are smart and some are not, but most of them r lawyers, doctors etc. (Not everyone in the world is SMART). Imagine if everyone in the world is a smart ass how do we all cope? Most companies are having to train their staffs again becos they can not write or speak english well.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Jobs You Should Never Make Careers / Mikano Retrenches Workers It Once Recalled / 50 Directors Fail Perm Secs’ Exam, 41 Make Final List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.