Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,356 members, 7,815,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Personal experience on how to develop yourself - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Personal experience on how to develop yourself (826 Views)

My Personal Experience In Nursing Sch / Great Ife: Tell Us Your Experience On Oau Campus / Past Gce Candidates Share Ur Experience On Food And Nutrition Practical Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Personal experience on how to develop yourself by Keluong(m): 8:30pm On Oct 12, 2014
I wanted to post this on a thread which talked about cramming affecting one's performance
https://www.nairaland.com/1945797/need-third-class-degree but I felt it required a new thread.
This is one of my very personal experiences which I am sharing with everyone and I strongly believe that it will help a lot of people having similar problems.
I am studying currently electrical/electronics in a prestigious university and currently in my final year.I had a very difficult time in my second year when we were introduced to circuit analysis. Why? because I wanted to read an eletrical textbook and understand electrical engineering fully with it. I actually have this desire to be the best electrical engineer I can be. If not for the harsh situation in the country, I really want to be part of the inventors knows in electrical manufacturing companies wherever they are.
My first challenge back then was that I will be fighting myself all because I am reading about circuit theories and I still don't know the importance of resistors and yet I see it in every circuit diagram. I perfectly understood the theories in ohms law, but I never stopped asking what are the uses of resistors. The difference between voltage and current was a battle for me and when to use each term. Many of my mates then did not know and up till now do not know, yet they raked up the best grades. It continued through many courses. This caused ne to be thinking and worrying. I then realised that whenever I picked up any electrical question question on my head, I think of the answer, or check it up, it never leaves my head. Especially when I really wanted to know why and what causes shocks. I learnt all about what potential difference and current truly meant.When I began electronics was another hallenge for me. My inquisitive person did not let me rest till I figured out that you cannot analyse transistors, the same way with other dc circuitss containing battery. I learnt about the constant current source only perculiar to transistors.
No knowledge can be more retained than the one learnt out of developed curiosity. There were times when I looked at switches and connections at home and I felt silly for not knowing their electrical working principle. This became more of a personal research to me. It then began with me reading every textbook slowly. I ask questions at every line. It was slow reading and very frustrating at first, but my mind has adapted quickly to all that.
My biggest deciding factor was when I nearly failed a course on induction motors and machines all because I was trying to learn the theory and and working principle of an induction motor and its parts when I have not seen an induction motor before. Yet every textbook tells you that induction motors are used in many industrial applications. when I have not been to a factory before. It was frustrating. I know some students had/have this challenge. I first felt annoyed that lots of people crammed a whole lot of chunk and diagrams they got their good grades while all my efforts in truly ssimilating this course gave me an E. But during the holiday, after spending a month with the road side rewinders and 3 months with electrical contractors, I can now explain the categories of all types of motors and generators and their specific uses. No one actually sat me down to teach me anything. I just did started applying theoritical definitions anfd formulas with wha I was seeing. I was very inquisitive with myself and my imagination has expanded. Those who know me well will tell who is typing this.
The basic truth is that the education system does not help in any way. Its a total joke. I felt some unexplainable joy when I taught a first class student in my department the breakdown of all motors and generators, uses and applications. I also explained the "whys " to every use and application, especially induction motors (its starting methods). This Guy I am telling you of got an A in machines and has been getting A's in subsequent related MACHINE courses. The problem I realized is that there is no interest and the schools have deprived students of developing any interest in courses. How many electrical engineerig graduates understand the wiring of their houses and understand faults?. How many can fix sockets and plugs or even, know the electricalworking principle of these sockets and plugs? I was doing something tinkering in the hostel, I then told a coursemate to use a tester to check a wire and to my suprise, he was scared of touching its metalic cap, saying that it might shock him. And these people got good grades in circuit analysis practical. It now seems apparent that people are not good in machines in my school, so the lab grading is about who has the most voluminous plagiarised work. Its a pity.
I personally, during my industrial training worked with an electrical automation and control company. I have learnt and personally installed different motor starters especially direct online and star-delta used for the the control of motors. The joy in doing all these and seeing its application cannot be explained. Maybe because, the nigerian education system deprives us of this, I do not know. I have taken the choice to learn every remaining course in my final year with deep understanding. I am devicing a plan to make it also get me good grades. But if my inability to cram and pour in a short period of time affects me, then I am still happy. This write up is for those who truly want to learn in their vaious fields, irerespective of the certifiate awarded or the grades. The encouraging aspect is the fat that the little tim espent in 2 engineering companies, the engineers know that I am good and there is potential without askin for my school grades. I have also learnt that escuses don't change anything. We want to be engineers, doctors etc. Technology is moving everyday, we go into companies and see new advancements. Its the same engineering we(and the inventors) are both practicing yet we dont understand some "simple" basics. I know some students who had to use youtube videos to aid their understanding of courses. So, Its all about the sacrifices. Lets make them for the better.
I would have loved to talk about how learning truly works. There is something called active and passive learning. Most times when we read a book, we are simply READING or passively learnin, but when we are STUDYING; being inquisitive and drawing conclusions, we are actively learning. Like I said, I would have liked to explain more on learning, but I dont want to bore you. So, for the little, I have put up, your contributions are highly welcome.
Mods pls your enouragement is needed by putting this on the front page.
Re: Personal experience on how to develop yourself by sammoe(m): 12:38am On Oct 13, 2014
I agree with you. Our educational system is flawed in several ways, primarily in not being tailored towards meeting the needs of our contemporary society.

This makes the quest for self development more imperative and onerous at the same time!

OP, I commend your efforts thus far and hope you can really kill two birds with one stone i.e actually learning and getting high grades.

As a tip, you could focus on doing the needful (regular stuff) and do more intense study or self development later, probably during hols. Finding this balance is usually the bane of those who truly yearn for knowledge and seek ways to apply same.
Cheers.
Re: Personal experience on how to develop yourself by Keluong(m): 10:02am On Oct 13, 2014

(1) (Reply)

2014/2015 UNN Inter-university Transfer Admission Form Released / Will You Lecture In A Public University In Nigeria? Why And Why Not? / Oau Sug President Celebrates Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.