Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,597 members, 7,812,956 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:39 PM

Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice (3446 Views)

Top 20 Used Cars To Avoid / New Year Gift From Govt : Tokunbo Cars To Cost More From January 1 / Toyota Cars To Be Careful About Buying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by nurey(m): 6:58am On Oct 13, 2014
Hi pips let's start this thread for fun by mentioning cars that you think or wish people should stay away from or not look at twice even though the car is beautiful, rugged and fast but for one reason or the other you just think people should stay away or not invest their cash on it.

Mine is the regular mercedez benz Eseries I think the 1980s models. My dad used three of this vehicles when he was alive, most times we had to push the car to start because the kick starter na wahala, the body was nothing but a rusted motion picture on wheelsgrin the springs and shock absorbers fail when two fat people sit at the back, it needs oil topping regularly and water to the radiator and above all, that beast is a Guzzler. The major advantage is when you are in that car, you are regarded as a chief, and feared by other road users, the handling power of that car is top notch and the car is a rugged metal block and often reliable, but I will advice you stay away from that car if you don't want an un warranted disgrace grin especially the ones that have been abused by my dads quack, poverty stricken and hungry mechanics.

Please add yours just for fun with pix please.
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by nurey(m): 7:03am On Oct 13, 2014
Pix

Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by Nobody: 8:02am On Oct 13, 2014
Nurey, concerning that W123 benz classic AKA flat boot, I'd say you're wrong. That benz was over engineered trust me. It had a very good tuned suspension which was subjected to various test. Various safety system including a Driver's chest airbag, ABS system, it had a good handling, the only thing about the car was it used a carburetor system which was at that time good but not comparable to these days injection system in terms of efficiency and effectiveness. It also had a slow acceleration because of its curb mass but once it gets to its speed, you'd struggle to keep up with it at that speed.
I know a lot of people in Nigeria who still use that and swear by its name. I also know an Indian business man who formed a culture of using snow white benz even with white side-walled tyres. He had that car in his collection. It was used by high ranking military officials. In Middle East, that car is still used as a taxi.

By the way, that car was produced between 1976-1985.

2 Likes

Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 13, 2014
One of the best mid sized Mercedes ever made.

It's not unheard of to see some with over 300,000 thousand miles here.
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:23am On Oct 13, 2014
Nurey a friend has that same mercredes, and he threw out the original engine and installed the C class engine 4cylinder, with harness and ecu, the new engine was cheaper to source and its fuel injected.

Its as reliable as relaible can get.

Now on to your topic

The landrover freelander.

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEgODi4Vb9Zoz0hSWtNz-XysT1gFD2U9hCDNMZauJJbDHNVgJj9lnY2lBv[/img]

Is certainly a car to avoid, with consistent complaints of broken coolant reservoir, window water leaks, headlining damaged from manufacturing, sunroof motor and sliding issues, defective jet washers and brake rotors that get bad quicly I belive this car came out with problems from the drawing board, little wonder our mechanics in a bid to salvage the car from being scrapped fit toyota engines in them.

1 Like

Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by nurey(m): 10:14am On Oct 13, 2014
Guys why una wan chop me na. I still praised that car na. I just mentioned a few flops it has the most annoying so far with the car is just rust an gets you mad when changing the tire because the body will constantly give way but above all it was a good car then oya put your own there and stop begging to differ.
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 13, 2014
nurey:
Guys why una wan chop me na. I still praised that car na. I just mentioned a few flops it has the most annoying so far with the car is just rust an gets you mad when changing the tire because the body will constantly give way but above all it was a good car then oya put your own there and stop begging to differ.
The worst Benz ever produced was W210, from '95-'03 that car was a complete rust bucket, complete strut failure, scandalous build quality.

2 Likes

Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by nurey(m): 3:50pm On Oct 13, 2014
lomomike:

The worst Benz ever produced was W210, from '95-'03 that car was a complete rust bucket, complete strut failure, scandalous build quality.

I have always respected this oju-opolo benz didn't know it was a rust bucket.
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by BE811APP: 4:23pm On Oct 13, 2014
The worst is FreeLander
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by billy187(m): 8:38pm On Oct 13, 2014
FREELANDER!!! Oh....so i'm not the only one then. Moving on....
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by lonelydora: 11:51pm On Oct 13, 2014
That benz in the first pix is "German mistake".

1 Like

Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by ifeanyi83(m): 11:56pm On Oct 13, 2014
What's the issue with Honda and the front tyres....
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by 3ace(m): 11:49am On Oct 14, 2014
drcenti07:

If you go back to the top, you will realize that carter111 started the insult. But if I were lomomike, I wouldn't have returned the insults. I would have allowed him to have a field day so that my ban will be justifiable.
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 14, 2014
Pls, let's not derail this thread. I've decided to hide every insultive comments.
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by drcenti07: 12:53pm On Oct 14, 2014
Remove the ban also..

Justice and equity..
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 14, 2014
drcenti07:
Remove the ban also..

Justice and equity..
You DONT need to tell me how to moderate.
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by DECOtech(m): 1:52pm On Oct 14, 2014
Drcenti07, calm down. Carter111 was the first person to render an insult and to add injury to pepper, it was a generalized insult. How can a human being that claims to have suckled on his mother's breasts call his own father and grandfather "Idiotic and stupid" respectively?

I shaking my head for him oh.
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by chillex8(m): 2:34pm On Oct 14, 2014
lomomike:

You DONT need to tell me how to moderate.
Oga
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by icemann(m): 3:26pm On Oct 14, 2014
W 126 also known as Shagari Benz. Every owner i knew back in the days had one problem or the other with it. I guess the mechanics then didn't understand the "morden" eletronics it had.

Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by Nobody: 5:01pm On Oct 14, 2014
icemann:
W 126 also known as Shagari Benz. Every owner i knew back in the days had one problem or the other with it. I guess the mechanics then didn't understand the "morden" eletronics it had.

That's one car I still respect.
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by 9icetoo(m): 5:15pm On Oct 14, 2014
The W126 was one solidly built benz. The issues it had were our uninformed mechanics playing chess with the car. it came with a whole lot of new systems which our mechanics then weren't conversant with. The end result is quite predictable. Still got one going strong in the family. A bit thirsty on the fuel side though.
Re: Cars To Stay Away From Or Not Look At Twice by auhanson(m): 5:39pm On Oct 14, 2014
nurey:
Hi pips let's start this thread for fun by mentioning cars that you think or wish people should stay away from or not look at twice even though the car is beautiful, rugged and fast but for one reason or the other you just think people should stay away or not invest their cash on it.

Mine is the regular mercedez benz Eseries I think the 1980s models. My dad used three of this vehicles when he was alive, most times we had to push the car to start because the kick starter na wahala, the body was nothing but a rusted motion picture on wheelsgrin the springs and shock absorbers fail when two fat people sit at the back, it needs oil topping regularly and water to the radiator and above all, that beast is a Guzzler. The major advantage is when you are in that car, you are regarded as a chief, and feared by other road users, the handling power of that car is top notch and the car is a rugged metal block and often reliable, but I will advice you stay away from that car if you don't want an un warranted disgrace grin especially the ones that have been abused by my dads quack, poverty stricken and hungry mechanics.

Please add yours just for fun with pix please.

If any body had issue with this car, popularly known as german mistake(over engineered, and built to last forever), then that person lack maintenance culture in totality

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Get To Elegushi From Anthony / What Car Type Can A Family Man With An Income Of 55k Per Month Maintain? / Toyota Corolla 2006 ECU ..how Much Will It Cost To Get One ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.