Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Eating Kpomo Is Dangerous To Health - Dr Adamu - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Eating Kpomo Is Dangerous To Health - Dr Adamu (6879 Views)

Female Circumcision Is Dangerous To Women's Health; It Should Be Scrapped. / Kpomo Sellers Arrested In Sapele For Using Embalming Fluid To Fatten Kpomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eating Kpomo Is Dangerous To Health - Dr Adamu by Newshealthwatch(m): 2:26pm On Oct 13, 2014
Eating Ponmo (Kpomo) Is Dangerous To Health: Dr Adamu
Have you heard that Dr Isuwa Adamu, Director-General, Nigerian Institute of Leather Science and Technology (NILEST), Zaria, on Tuesday warned against the consumption of animal hides and skin known locally as “ponmo”.
The reasons are as follows:
1. Scientifically, ponmo does not have any nutritional value to human health.
2. The animals killed and used for ponmo actually have skin diseases, so its not advisable to eat them because some of these skin diseases are such that boiling them ordinarily, may not kill the bacteria.
3. Some of the animals killed had been ill and undergoing injections but the rearers went ahead to kill them, leaving the buyers vulnerable to chemicals in the animal skin.
4. If you consume the ponmo, the tendency is that you are consuming the chemicals directly because the skin part of the animal retains most of the harmful substances.
Dr Adamu advised the government to come up with policies that could be enforced to reduce the consumption of hides and skin as meat substitute.
You remember that the ban on ponmo consumption was rumored last month, and with this development I wonder what will happen next.
If we stop consuming ponmo, how would our egusi, afang and vegetable soups look like? Hmmmm!
Please bear your mind, what do you think?
Eating Ponmo (Kpomo) Is Dangerous To Health: Dr Adamu

Have you heard that Dr Isuwa Adamu, Director-General, Nigerian Institute of Leather Science and Technology (NILEST), Zaria, on Tuesday warned against the consumption of animal hides and skin known locally as “ponmo”.

The reasons are as follows:

1. Scientifically, ponmo does not have any nutritional value to human health.

2. The animals killed and used for ponmo actually have skin diseases, so its not advisable to eat them because some of these skin diseases are such that boiling them ordinarily, may not kill the bacteria.

3. Some of the animals killed had been ill and undergoing injections but the rearers went ahead to kill them, leaving the buyers vulnerable to chemicals in the animal skin.

4. If you consume the ponmo, the tendency is that you are consuming the chemicals directly because the skin part of the animal retains most of the harmful substances.

Dr Adamu advised the government to....... Continue reading here http://breakingnewshealthwatchng..com [img][/img]
Re: Eating Kpomo Is Dangerous To Health - Dr Adamu by eneye1(m): 2:52pm On Oct 13, 2014
Thank you.let me eat chemical.ponmo never killed my grandma,so ponmon will not kill me.
Re: Eating Kpomo Is Dangerous To Health - Dr Adamu by davdandam(m): 3:10pm On Oct 13, 2014
Doctor adamu be warned sad
Re: Eating Kpomo Is Dangerous To Health - Dr Adamu by Tenim47(m): 3:16pm On Oct 13, 2014
Weytin u self-service make iya basira dey use sell her fud.?
I guess dis doctor avent tasted kpomo alata, toh ka bi taya motor

1 Like

Re: Eating Kpomo Is Dangerous To Health - Dr Adamu by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 13, 2014
Will see to that......(while enjoying my abacha with ponmo)

1 Like

Re: Eating Kpomo Is Dangerous To Health - Dr Adamu by dominique(f): 4:54pm On Oct 13, 2014
I totally get what the post is talking about, what I don't get is why they have to post the same set of points twice? To make the article more lengthier right? Say NO to lazy journalism.

Back to topic, I thought ponmo has been banned a while back. So I'm quite surprised that it's still being put on display in our markets and canteens. I had no choice but to order for one at work as there was nothing else. One of those soft extremely bloated ones and it tasted BITTER. I believe what I consumed was the chemicals used to make it expand and grow soft. It's very sad that people will put their profits first before the lives and well-being of their fellow humans. I hope the authorities enforce the ban of that awful stuff.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Hayat Foundation Reaches Out To The Less Privileged And Disabled Persons / COVID-19 Update For March 5 2021 In Nigeria / 38 Cases Of Polio Virus Confirmed In Bauchi – BASPHCDA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.