Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,983 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? (114995 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Why Do Nigerians Abroad Dont Help Themselves? / What Do Nigerians Think Of America ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by shotster50(m): 2:58am On Nov 28, 2008
Why would you want to go to a place if it does not treat you well or you cant meet your basic needs?
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by whatever90(f): 2:59am On Nov 28, 2008
ok now answer ur qstion,that is why i said they don't want to go to africa,their life is not safe diaaaa,because its not all of them that r expatriates,no power supply,no water and so many other probs is enoff to make them stick to d western world but relocate to another country
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by shotster50(m): 3:23am On Nov 28, 2008
If you didnt get my point, let me rephrase, the ones you  see in Africa are there by choice. To an extent I think they live  a different lifestyle to what they are used to in the west. They might complain about the security problems / epileptic power supply, etc but yet there seems to be more and more of them coming in!!!
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by iyeayo(f): 3:39am On Nov 28, 2008
whatever90:

the fact that aussies r in d uk,does not mean d country is bad or sthg,people want to go on adventure,get to meet people ,learn other countries culture and so on

common

good talk whatever90. I agree with you. Do you know how many Englos, Americans, etc enter Australia everyday? Infact, Australia has no natural nationality of its own except for the aborigins, so that tells you that of the 20million residents, about 16million are of foreign decent, which mean there must be something here that is keeping them here. Those that relocate to the UK  etc are probably the ones that have spent their entire life here and probably need a change, or they think so.
Australia is still the best country if you are looking for quality of life as well as career opportunity. The currency may not weigh up to the almighty GBP but at the same time the money is cool if you spend it in Australia/Naija With the right moves, you are sure to get to the top.
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by whatever90(f): 6:22pm On Nov 28, 2008
shotster50:

If you didnt get my point, let me rephrase, the ones you  see in Africa are there by choice. To an extent I think they live  a different lifestyle to what they are used to in the west. They might complain about the security problems / epileptic power supply, etc but yet there seems to be more and more of them coming in!!!

u seem to have forgotten dat alot of them in nigeria r fake oyibos,refugees,lebaneses and so on,while sm of the real oyibos r there for visiting only,not to get settled

iyeayo:

good talk whatever90. I agree with you. Do you know how many Englos, Americans, etc enter Australia everyday? Infact, Australia has no natural nationality of its own except for the aborigins, so that tells you that of the 20million residents, about 16million are of foreign decent, which mean there must be something here that is keeping them here. Those that relocate to the UK  etc are probably the ones that have spent their entire life here and probably need a change, or they think so.
Australia is still the best country if you are looking for quality of life as well as career opportunity. The currency may not weigh up to the almighty GBP but at the same time the money is cool if you spend it in Australia/Naija With the right moves, you are sure to get to the top.

my dear i agree wt u on dis,australia is a land with so many opportunities,u know alot of pple run away from there cos its far,dats why there r so many opportunities there,cos its not so polluted like other countries,and smart pple take it upon themselves to go there and make money b4 pple start flooding in,take for instance d nurses there,especially in western australia they earn so much money there dat theyve refused to come back,there r a lot of scarcity of proffessionals there ,so the australian government need pple to come work for them,and they pay them real good

thats why i said whoever dat said there is no job in australia is lying,cos even students there make good money wt their students job

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by guvnor1: 8:26pm On Nov 28, 2008
@iyeayo.
i will like to email you personally to ask u some questions regarding australia, i plan to relocate to aus. by next year, pls which city is the best for an immigrant, i mean a city with more opportunities and less expenses, which city has the most nigerians, i have been told that sydney is quite expensive, i plan to relocate to melbourne but i hear that brisbane is the best place, please enlighten me
thanks
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by iyeayo(f): 6:28am On Nov 30, 2008
guvnor1:

@iyeayo.
i will like to email you personally to ask u some questions regarding australia, i plan to relocate to aus. by next year, please which city is the best for an immigrant, i mean a city with more opportunities and less expenses, which city has the most nigerians, i have been told that sydney is quite expensive, i plan to relocate to melbourne but i hear that brisbane is the best place, please enlighten me
thanks

first of all, your success in Australia depends mainly on the skills you are bringing in or the skills you intend to acquire here. On a short note, people in IT, medical professionals, mine professionals, finance professionals are top shots here, followed byother professions. so if you have any of those skills, there is opportunity for you regardless of where u live.

Brisbane is the best place in terms of the temperature (like naija), bt not necessarily the best interms of opportunity. Adelaide is the cheapest capital city to live in, big houses for lower cost, less traffic etc, but job availability is also lower as most businesses prefer to put their offices in Sydney, Melbourne etc.

If you have experience in oil and gas, minning, electrical, civil, mehanical, GIS, industrial chemistry, geology, drilling bla bla bla, then you may want to end up in Perth as this is the best place for technical people. There are job opportunities and lots of naijas.

Darwin is also good weather wise and very beautiful, but it is so under-populated that boredom can make u pack your box and go home.

There are lots of naijas in Sydney and Melbourne, lots of opportunities too, but quite expensive because those are where 'it is happening', especially if u like 'igbadun' aka enjoyment, but if you can manage yourself or if you can live in outskirts, then you should be fine.

Canberra is the public sector city. Cool, but quiet and reserved. it can also be very cold. u can mail me on iyeayo@yahoo.com if u have specific queries or u need some personal advice.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by whatever90(f): 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2008
iyeayo:

If you have experience in oil and gas, minning, electrical, civil, mehanical, GIS, industrial chemistry, geology, drilling bla bla bla, then you may want to end up in Perth as this is the best place for technical people. There are job opportunities and lots of naijas.

u r right about dis,perth is a place for oil and minning,and a lot of pple really make big money there grin grin

anyways i dont live in australia,but i see myself relocating there in d nearest future cool

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by purplechoc: 11:58am On Dec 04, 2008
Hi there,

Has anyone successfully applied for a visitor visa to Australia before? Thank you!
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by niyi09(m): 1:12pm On Dec 04, 2008
@iyeayo.
i sent you a mail on the address(iyeayo@yahoo.com)you left here but the mail was returned,i want to ask you some questions about Australia. can u please drop another email address that i can contact you on.Thanks and God bless
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by niyi09(m): 1:44pm On Dec 04, 2008
my email is tundeyboy2003@yahoo.co.uk
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by Jackstar: 8:15pm On Dec 05, 2008
ummm i just have one question for black spade - i would like to know how the hell you can HATE a country without ever visiting it ?? Ohhh because you should always believe Everything the media says, its ALWAYS true !! Actually checking it out for yourself before you form such strong opinions may be wise ?? I am an Australian girl and I am with a Nigerian guy but I guess I must be racist cause I'm Ozzie is that right ?? Hahaha talk about having an open mind. I don't go around saying that all Nigerians are scam artists and I HATE Africa so give me a break. You shouldnt go dissing and hating my country cause that makes YOU racist doesnt it ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by purplechoc: 12:02pm On Dec 10, 2008
Hi iyeayo,

How long have you been living in Australia for? Would you mind if I e-mail you a couple of queries? Thank you!
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by iyeayo(f): 1:05pm On Dec 10, 2008
pls feel free to mail me on iyeayo@yahoo.com.au if you have queries about Australia, I have been here 3 years and I should be able to provide basic tips.
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by niyi09(m): 2:50pm On Dec 10, 2008
@iyeayo
i already mailed you but you did not reply or acknowledge my mail.i would send it again.
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by blackspade(m): 9:32pm On Dec 11, 2008
Jackstar:

ummm i just have one question for black spade - i would like to know how the hell you can HATE a country without ever visiting it ?? Ohhh because you should always believe Everything the media says, its ALWAYS true !! Actually checking it out for yourself before you form such strong opinions may be wise ?? I am an Australian girl and I am with a Nigerian guy but I guess I must be racist cause I'm Ozzie is that right ?? Hahaha talk about having an open mind. I don't go around saying that all Nigerians are scam artists and I HATE Africa so give me a break. You shouldnt go dissing and hating my country cause that makes YOU racist doesnt it?
What the hell?

I think you should go back and re-read my original assertion, and when you do, you'll realize I didn't say "I HATE" Australia, I'm just not fond of the country. I don't believe everything the media says either, I do my own research, but since you brought up the "media", can you explain why the Australian media is so obsessed with what they call "ethnic crime"? Here's a video put together by a news organization that investigated some reports by your media outlets. . . . . very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH684WWgi-8

Now, I never said all Aussies are racist, at all, so again, I recommend you re-read. I do however think some segments of your government and population are very discriminatory when it comes to accepting Black Africans. I think the exclusionary and selective measures the immigration minister put on Sudanese and other African immigrants was very discriminatory, and overtly racist. That doesn't mean I think all Australians are racist, or that all of Australia is a hotbed of racial tension, I'm just not fond of the country for this, amongst other things.

But don't worry, you won't have to worry about seeing my black ass in Australia anytime soon.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by purplechoc: 12:53pm On Dec 12, 2008
Hi Iyeayo,

Just to let you know that I have popped you an e-mail wink The heading of my e-mail is "Australia".
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by dragon2008: 8:19am On Dec 21, 2008
i have been in aussie for 5 months, am still looking for nigerians, where are the nigerians in australia, if you are one please lets chat,
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by iyeayo(f): 12:28pm On Dec 21, 2008
dragon2008:

i have been in aussie for 5 months, am still looking for nigerians, where are the nigerians in australia, if you are one please lets chat,

where in Oz are you? I live in South Australia
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by dragon2008: 12:30pm On Dec 21, 2008
Thanks for the reply, i live in south Australia as well, adelaide to be precise!
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by josek: 10:28pm On Dec 21, 2008
Aussy Aussy Aussy, oi oi oi. I dey down and under too. I am in Adelaide. Australia in very nice. To think they paid me nearly $5000 tax free to have a baby. Its crazy[quote][/quote]

please can you just give me info on the easiest way to get to australia,and how easy can i get a job as a charter financial analyst.
this is my e-mail joseph_klinks@yahoo.com
thanks
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by firetree: 5:46pm On Dec 29, 2008
purplechoc

My bf is nigerian (I'm australian) and we have just successfully applied for him to get a visitors visa.

Was fairly simple, but they do check ALL the info you give them. We had to list who we were staying with (cos we could not evidence of funds for accommodation costs) and the consulate did call them.

Have a look on this link for further info: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/

Happy to help if you need anymore info.

Good luck!
smiley

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by purplechoc: 11:49am On Jan 12, 2009
firetree:

purplechoc

My boyfriend is nigerian (I'm australian) and we have just successfully applied for him to get a visitors visa.

Was fairly simple, but they do check ALL the info you give them. We had to list who we were staying with (because we could not evidence of funds for accommodation costs) and the consulate did call them.

Have a look on this link for further info: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/

Happy to help if you need anymore info.

Good luck!
smiley

Hi Firetree,

Thanks for your reply! You may just be the person who can assist me :-)

Looks like we are similar in a way, my boyfriend is also Nigerian and I'm Australian too shocked) . I'm trying to seek advise from those who have successfully applied for a visitor visa to Australia.

How long did it take your boyfriend to get the visa? Did he apply online or through the embassy in Pretoria?

Thanks heaps!
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by purplechoc: 11:52am On Jan 12, 2009
The smiley above was suppose to be this smiley and not the shocked one, typo error smiley
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by chokomilo: 7:36am On Feb 17, 2009
haha, i see a lot of ignorant comments on this thread. lol @ australia being racist, if it would please you to know, as a nigerian, i have lived heren (in australia) for almost 10 years, and in that time, i can't think of any time anyone was racist to me. australians are very loving people who are just in for a good time and a good laugh. yes, i'd say it's one of the most beautiful and peaceful places to live.

those of you pointing at cases/instances of racism those are most definitely the exception and not the rule. it in no way defines modus operandi in australia. in the same vain, would you like me to pull out the statistics of racism towards blacks in the US and the UK? and would you then like me to compare them side by side with the instances of racism in australia? nah, didn't think so either, yall better learn how to stop living your lives by hearsay or you may never get to experience some of the best things in life smiley

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by Nobody: 4:10am On Feb 18, 2009
dont mind them, there will always be someone hating!!!
to me my top three cities in the world are Sydney. Tokyo and Buenos Aires. lived in Sydney and i saw more discrimination towards arborigenes than towards blacks. in the australian mentality it's two complete different race. as for the snakes/deadly spiders and what not, everyone knows that if you stay in a big city(Syd, Mel etc), you might never see one in a lifetime, unless you go to the zoo. it's exactly like the white guy who thinks that lions run freely in any city street of any capital of africa.
what about racism/tribalism in 9ja, igbos, yoruba, hausa hating on each other ALL OVER THE COUNTRY,  muslims killing christians and vice versa.
there will always be some form of hate going on, you just have to be strong minded and do what pleases YOU regardless of what people might think or say!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by MACKISSA: 8:41am On Feb 19, 2009
HI yanyan if you looking forward to come and study in Australia i might as well try and help you out with all
the info that you need. I might not know a lot about your situation but i would love to make and make enquiries
on your behalf.
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by MACKISSA: 8:47am On Feb 19, 2009
hi i jst read your recnt post about aus, i live in aus but i live in sydney if you like me to
tell a about australia i can do that
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by pureminded: 8:57am On Feb 19, 2009
As far as i know , aussie is okay , I mean OKAY , Education , Job etc ,
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by sexyLeamon(f): 12:57pm On Jun 06, 2009
Australia is a lovely place nothing spectacular

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by dblock(m): 7:46am On Jun 07, 2009
Australia is better than America, Britain etc
Re: What Do Nigerians Think Of Australia? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jun 08, 2009
dblock:

Australia is better than America, Britain etc

we all know that there is no country in this world that is "perfect". every country have good and bad (positive/negative) and in my book, Australia is one of the countries that has the more good with the less bad.
everyone is different and some people will enjoy the US rather than Australia and vice versa. its not a black and white thing that we can say that Australia is better than the UK/US for everybody, more like Australia is better for us.

in my book, there are MANY countries better than UK/US and Australia is one of them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! / American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread / Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.