Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,012 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:08 AM

I Need Help And Advice - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Need Help And Advice (3102 Views)

Fellas Please Help And Explain / Fellas Please Help And Explain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2014
I Am A Computer Science Student. I Finished My National Diploma In Computer Science With Upper Credit. But I Dont Know Programming Which Has Been My Utmost Concern. I Am Not Confident Enough To Go For My Industrial Training (IT) Because I Am Scared To Be Tested Of My Programming Knowledge. With This Reason I Have Not Secured An IT Placement. The Question Is, How Long Will It Take Me To Understand Program And Can One Program/code Without A System?
Re: I Need Help And Advice by codemarshal08(m): 7:38pm On Oct 13, 2014
It will take u 10Years to master Programming ...........
But On a more serious Note , It Depends on Your Determination bro.
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 13, 2014
codemarshal08:
It will take u 10Years to master Programming ...........
But On a more serious Note , It Depends on Your Determination bro.
isnt Dt Too Much Sir? Well, I Av Determined And Decided To Knw And Master It. Bt I Dnt Av A System Yet And Its Getin Late 4 Me
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 7:48pm On Oct 13, 2014
I Only Knw Some Terminologies Of Prgrmin, And Some Syntax Bt Nt In Details
Re: I Need Help And Advice by codemarshal08(m): 7:52pm On Oct 13, 2014
You Don't Necessary need to Have a Computer. You Can always Hook Up with A Friend/Family member... that has one until you are Able to afford Yours. And For the Years, it all depends on How Hardworking u are.
Re: I Need Help And Advice by codemarshal08(m): 7:54pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaybiel2u:
I Only Knw Some Terminologies Of Prgrmin, And Some Syntax Bt Nt In Details
That's not a limitation at all. Every Professional Programmer was Once a Newbie !
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Urine: 8:37pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaybiel2u:
I Am A Computer Science Student. I Finished My National Diploma In Computer Science With Upper Credit. But I Dont Know Programming Which Has Been My Utmost Concern. I Am Not Confident Enough To Go For My Industrial Training (IT) Because I Am Scared To Be Tested Of My Programming Knowledge. With This Reason I Have Not Secured An IT Placement. The Question Is, How Long Will It Take Me To Understand Program And Can One Program/code Without A System?

Why in this world should you be scared? Programming is simple, it just involves "step by step logic". Let's do something simple. Give me a step by step details of how to make eba. I'm waiting...
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 13, 2014
Urine:

Why in this world should you be scared? Programming is simple, it just involves "step by step logic". Let's do something simple. Give me a step by step details of how to make eba. I'm waiting...
u Mean Algorithm To Prepare Eba? Wel, Get Pot
Get Stove
Get Water
Get Kerosene
Get Garri
Pour Kerosen Into D Stove
Light D Stove
Put Pot On D Stove
Pour Water Into D Pot
Let D Water Boil
Pour D Garri Into Boiled Water
Stir The Garri
Den Serve. I Wnt To Learn
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 13, 2014
codemarshal08:
You Don't Necessary need to Have a Computer. You Can always Hook Up with A Friend/Family member... that has one until you are Able to afford Yours. And For the Years, it all depends on How Hardworking u are.
thanks 4 Ur Valuable Advice Sir
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Urine: 10:28pm On Oct 13, 2014
kaybiel2u:
u Mean Algorithm To Prepare Eba? Wel, Get Pot
Get Stove
Get Water
Get Kerosene
Get Garri
Pour Kerosen Into D Stove
Light D Stove
Put Pot On D Stove
Pour Water Into D Pot
Let D Water Boil
Pour D Garri Into Boiled Water
Stir The Garri
Den Serve. I Wnt To Learn

We won't call it an algorithm for now, let's say this is our pseudo code. What programming language are you familiar with? Do you know you can whip out some good code/class from this nice pseudo code you just wrote?

I'm tired now and a bit sleepy but before tomorrow ends I will write my own eba making steps and develop a simple java class from it. Stay positive!
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 14, 2014
kaybiel2u:

Don't be afraid, some companies are willing to take you as interns with the hope that you will improve as time goes. Just apply as an Intern trust me. You will only be asked those simple questions you know.
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 14, 2014
codemarshal08:

Believe me if you don't have a PC of your own, you will get frustrated by the way.
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 9:37am On Oct 14, 2014
Urine:

We won't call it an algorithm for now, let's say this is our pseudo code. What programming language are you familiar with? Do you know you can whip out some good code/class from this nice pseudo code you just wrote?

I'm tired now and a bit sleepy but before tomorrow ends I will write my own eba making steps and develop a simple java class from it. Stay positive!
ok Sir. Gud Morning Sir!
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 14, 2014
Urine:

well, I Knw Litu Bit Java Bt Dnt Let Me Say I Knw It Cos I Mite Nt Knw Anytin Wen It Cums To Som Syntax Of It
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Urine: 2:25pm On Oct 15, 2014
kaybiel2u:
well, I Knw Litu Bit Java Bt Dnt Let Me Say I Knw It Cos I Mite Nt Knw Anytin Wen It Cums To Som Syntax Of It

Hi, I'm soooo sorry, totally forgot about this thread. I will post my pseudo code soon, let's see what you can do with your limited java knowledge.

Updated;

/* small eba = 2 cups, medium eba = 4 cups, large eba = 8 cups*/

Step 1: Fill up the empty kettle with water

Step 2: Boil water

Step 3: Ask the eba chef what size of eba he wants to make.

Step 4: If eba = small take 2 cups
else if eba = medium take 4 cups
else if eba = large take 8 cups
else no size of eba was chosen
Step 5: Make eba.

I've really tried to make the process simple and short so you don't get confused, I've also introduced a bit of logic into it, step by step details with a dose of logic is what you need to be a good programmer.

Write a simple java class from this pseudo code, it's simple so don't be scared, if the if/else if part scares you, just Google some simple tutorials.
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 15, 2014
Urine:

Hi, I'm soooo sorry, totally forgot about this thread. I will post my pseudo code soon, let's see what you can do with your limited java knowledge.

Updated;

/* small eba = 2 cups, medium eba = 4 cups, large eba = 8 cups*/

Step 1: Fill up the empty kettle with water

Step 2: Boil water

Step 3: Ask the eba chef what size of eba he wants to make.

Step 4: If eba = small take 2 cups
else if eba = medium take 4 cups
else if eba = large take 8 cups
else no size of eba was chosen
Step 5: Make eba.

I've really tried to make the process simple and short so you don't get confused, I've also introduced a bit of logic into it, step by step details with a dose of logic is what you need to be a good programmer.

Write a simple java class from this pseudo code, it's simple so don't be scared, if the if/else if part scares you, just Google some simple tutorials.
pls, let me add u on fb sir so dt i can get it
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 15, 2014
u wil b a lot of help to me sir. infakt, i undastnd dt pseudo code, bt i wl try dt of java, bt sir cn u teach me java sir
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Urine: 5:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
kaybiel2u:
pls, let me add u on fb sir so dt i can get it

Drop your email. I will love to teach you but finding time will be a problem. The best thing to do now is to download a book and start studying, when you're stuck I will step in and help. Download Java how to program 9th edition by deitel&deitel.
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 15, 2014
Urine:

Drop your email. I will love to teach you but finding time will be a problem. The best thing to do now is to download a book and start studying, when you're stuck I will step in and help. Download Java how to program 9th edition by deitel&deitel.
my email kaybiel4u@gmail.com
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Slowpois0n: 9:58am On Oct 16, 2014
yes yes.. Java. i have been studying this language by myself for few months now. all you need is LOGIC. will be back with the code.
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Slowpois0n: 10:46am On Oct 16, 2014
here is my eba algorithm.

//eba algorithm by Slowpois0n starts
import java.util.Scanner;
public class eba {
public static void main(String[]args){
Scanner input = new Scanner(System.in);
int smallEba = 2, mediumEba = 4, largeEba = 8;
String ebaSize = null;
System.out.println("Empty kettle filled with water" );
System.out.println("Boiled water" );
System.out.println("Hey Eba chef, what size of eba would you like to make?" );
int ebachef = input.nextInt();
if (ebachef == smallEba){
System.out.println("Two cups of garri taken\nPreparing eba...." );
ebaSize = "Small Eba";
}else if(ebachef == mediumEba){
System.out.println("Four cups of garri taken\nPreparing eba...." );
ebaSize = "Medium Eba";
}else if(ebachef == largeEba){
System.out.println("Eight cups of garri taken\nPreparing eba...." );
ebaSize = "Large Eba";
}else{
System.out.println("No available size of eba was choosen" );
}
System.out.printf("%s is ready!\n", ebaSize);
}
}
//eba algorithm by Slowpois0n ends
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Urine: 3:36pm On Oct 16, 2014
Slowpois0n:
here is my eba algorithm.

//eba algorithm by Slowpois0n starts
import java.util.Scanner;
public class eba {
public static void main(String[]args){
Scanner input = new Scanner(System.in);
int smallEba = 2, mediumEba = 4, largeEba = 8;
String ebaSize = null;
System.out.println("Empty kettle filled with water" );
System.out.println("Boiled water" );
System.out.println("Hey Eba chef, what size of eba would you like to make?" );
int ebachef = input.nextInt();
if (ebachef == smallEba){
System.out.println("Two cups of garri taken\nPreparing eba...." );
ebaSize = "Small Eba";
}else if(ebachef == mediumEba){
System.out.println("Four cups of garri taken\nPreparing eba...." );
ebaSize = "Medium Eba";
}else if(ebachef == largeEba){
System.out.println("Eight cups of garri taken\nPreparing eba...." );
ebaSize = "Large Eba";
}else{
System.out.println("No available size of eba was choosen" );
}
System.out.printf("%s is ready!\n", ebaSize);
}
}
//eba algorithm by Slowpois0n ends

Nice try! This is a class, why call it an algorithm? You need to be careful with semantics because you will start attending interviews soon.
One question though, why did you use scanner? Do you prefer it to JOptionpane? Also try to comment on each line of your code, you might need to change a line or two. Good job.
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 16, 2014
Urine:

Nice try! This is a class, why call it an algorithm? You need to be careful with semantics because you will start attending interviews soon.
One question though, why did you use scanner? Do you prefer it to JOptionpane? Also try to comment on each line of your code, you might need to change a line or two. Good job.

Abeg oh! Wetin concern Scanner and JOptionpane?
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Slowpois0n: 6:09pm On Oct 16, 2014
Urine:

thanks. very silly of me to have called a class an algorithm, it was a mistake. I didn't use JOptionPane because I didn't think a GUI would be needed.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 16, 2014
Slowpois0n:
thanks. very silly of me to have called a class an algorithm, it was a mistake. I didn't use JOptionPane because I didn't think a GUI would be needed.

Bro don't let that guy confuse you.
An Algorithm is sequence of task that must be executed to solve a problem. Your Class can be an algorithm and vice versa
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Urine: 7:32pm On Oct 16, 2014
phatjoe50:

Re: I Need Help And Advice by Urine: 7:34pm On Oct 16, 2014
phatjoe50:

The guy wey I ask question understand am and he don give me intelligent answer.

As for you saying a Java class is an algorithm, I can only smh. Thank God the young man knows better.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help And Advice by GodMode: 8:37pm On Oct 16, 2014
Urine:

As for you saying a Java class is an algorithm, I can only smh. Thank God the young man knows better.

Every java code must begin with a class.

According to wikipedia:

"An algorithm is an effective method expressed as a finite list of well-defined instructions for calculating a function."

Hope u can see "finite list" above. Every computer code is an algorithm.
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Urine: 9:12pm On Oct 16, 2014
GodMode:

Every java code must begin with a class.

According to wikipedia:

"An algorithm is an effective method expressed as a finite list of well-defined instructions for calculating a function."

Hope u can see "finite list" above. Every computer code is an algorithm.

To be honest mate the last thing I want to do is argue with anyone on this man's thread. He asked a question and I stepped in to help and I'm glad he's more positive about his chances of being a good programmer.

I also think that you should know it's an abomination to use Wikipedia to back up academic arguments. Please click on this link to get a better understanding of this issue. Pay close attention to the second paragraph.

http://www.ehow.com/info_10060065_difference-between-algorithms-pseudocode-programming-languages.html

1 Like

Re: I Need Help And Advice by GodMode: 9:35pm On Oct 16, 2014
Urine:

To be honest mate the last thing I want to do is argue with anyone on this man's thread. He asked a question and I stepped in to help and I'm glad he's more positive about his chances of being a good programmer.

I also think that you should know it's an abomination to use Wikipedia to back up academic arguments. Please click on this link to get a better understanding of this issue. Pay close attention to the second paragraph.

http://www.ehow.com/info_10060065_difference-between-algorithms-pseudocode-programming-languages.html

I don't argue with people I give them answers with proof.

I showed u the "english" explanation of algorithm. Even the site u put said the same thing:

"An algorithm is simply a series of steps you
follow when solving a problem. You list the
steps in the order they should be
performed."

Note: I said "Hope u can see "finite list" above. Every computer code is an algorithm."

Wikipedia is one of the best sources of info.. Just because someone wrote some stuff about it means nothing
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 9:42pm On Oct 16, 2014
Urine:

All this non-computer science students/graduate be arguing trash. if u were a computer science student/graduate, pls go back to your books bro.
Re: I Need Help And Advice by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 16, 2014
Don't like sharing code, but the code below is an example of a Sort ........... (Fill in the answer).

import java.util.*;

public class Sort {
public static void main(String[] args) {
String[] str = {"I", "Love", "Nairaland"};
List<String> list = Arrays.asList(str);
Collections.sort(list);
System.out.println(list);
}
}

It will simply sort the string in Alphabetical order.

Dude go back to your books, my advice to u bro.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section / Vb.net Save Picture / How To Say "Hello World" In Different Programming Languages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.