Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,000 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? (7806 Views)

Truck Falls On Okada At Oshodi-Apapa Expressway (Photos) / Okada-Man, Student Crushed By Trailer In Benue (Graphic Photos) / Okada Rider's Head Bursts Open As He Collides With Containers In Lagos (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Odeku(m): 1:43pm On Aug 02, 2006
Should Okada be banned in Nigeria ?

I will suggest that the Lagos State Government should start banning them from operating in certain areas. After all, there are many estates they are not allowed in and people there do not die. It is healthy for us to walk sometimes. It is just unfortunate that Nigerians want bus stops to be in front of their houses.

Mr. IG, unless you act now, another unit like EFCC may have to be carved out of the police to tackle this menace since we have all come to the realisation that okada is here to stay. Make a show of a Commissione of Police or Area Commander or even DPO, I can assure you that you will sleep easy.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article04/020806
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by michy(f): 1:48pm On Aug 02, 2006
how can okada be banned here
there are some places u cant go
without okada.cars dont enter move in there
although thieves now use it to make their moves faster
but it shouldnt be banned
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by iice(f): 1:57pm On Aug 02, 2006
My sister i agree o, they shudnt be banned and i knw that they are terrors on the road coz i almost had an accident once coz of them but like michy said, there are some places that cars cant go so okadas get the job done. They shud be controlled, police gas 2 regulate them and monitor them but not ban them wink I love okadas oh lol, gets u 2 the place shap shap
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by michy(f): 2:02pm On Aug 02, 2006
sharp sharp no be small
traffic jam is not for them
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Odeku(m): 2:27pm On Aug 02, 2006
I’ve never been on one before, I’ve never been to other African countries, I wonder if they have this means of transportation as well? None of the developed nation has this means of transportation, it’s a luxury ride to have a bike in the state, and I wonder what the accident rate is with Okada. I’ve seen how they maneuver their ways around and I think they should be ban for good, and the federal government should invest heavily in transportation, good roads, and better housing infrastructure. People need to start thinking of safety and not trying to get from point A to point B.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by michy(f): 2:35pm On Aug 02, 2006
but fo the mean time.there are no good roads
so it shouldn't be banned at all
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by iice(f): 2:38pm On Aug 02, 2006
Yes oh, better infrastructure first b4 banning them wink
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 3:28pm On Aug 02, 2006
The idea of banning them is incredibly ridiculous and counter-progressive. Do you want them to turn to crime?
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Odeku(m): 3:39pm On Aug 02, 2006
it's not counter progressive, so you saying, Nigeria government is not capable of providing substitute work for this people? the Abacha $700 Million that was return to Nigeria could be put to good use in providing better roads and transpiration. I will rather travel safe to my destination than to get their in 5 minute handicap. People need to start thinking outside the box and that is why Nigeria is still under developed. we have the means and fun to create better housing, roads and transportation, we need good leaders, managers and people with good intentions, remember Rome wasn't build in one day.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 3:47pm On Aug 02, 2006
The federal government is incapable of running NEPA and NITEL. It is incapable of sanitising the police force and legal system. How can it be capable of providing substitute jobs for these people? Makes no sense!!

And even if the Federal Government was capable of such magic, why not apportion those miracle jobs to current job-seekers instead of destroying the jobs of honest okada men just because you don't like them?

If an okada rider has offended you, go to a court of law to seek retribution. Hopefully the FG will provide that. If they cannot provide justice, which is their primary objective, how can they provide jobs? Ha!
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Odeku(m): 3:54pm On Aug 02, 2006
It's not a matter of liking or not, my point, was better transportation, I wish someone can pull a poll of the death rate or accident rate associated with Okada operators. they don't obey traffic lights, they don't respect other motor operators, this is the kind of society we are breading in Nigeria, and if you are justifying their action because they have honest jobs, then Nigeria has a long way to go. Growing up In Nigeria as a kid, I dont recollect Okada rides, and we still get around from point A to Point B. We need people with vision in Nigeria.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 4:16pm On Aug 02, 2006
If you spot a dangerous Okada driver who doesn't obey traffic lights, catch him and report to the police.

If you are concerned about accidents, educate the people riding in motorbikes to caution dangerous bikers carrying them or get off and refuse to pay. Anytime I am on an okada, I tell the okada man "gently, please".

If these people are committing crimes, then prosecute the criminals alone. They are not all criminals, are they?

Look, okada riders are as important as mobile phone operators in this new Nigeria. Without them, we will suffer.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Odeku(m): 6:06pm On Aug 02, 2006
Mobile phone operators, how interesting, well as time progresses and with a centralized database, i think the mobile phone operators will degenerate and people will have to subscribe to services. i am not saying the people are all criminals, i personally think the Okada saga added to the traffic congestion in the country, and most of the operator that i observed every time I come to Nigeria are just trying to get to the destination as quick as possible. safety i think should supersede all their hasty needs.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 7:00pm On Aug 02, 2006
Motorcycle taxis are common in the far east as well as in Africa, but this does not mean that they are safe. Many hospitals in Nigeria have special wards devoted to handling the daily toll of horrendous injuries and deformities resulting from motorcycle taxi mishaps.

In Nigeria it is not unusual to see a family of six, including a couple of infants straddling the fuel tank and another strapped to a woman's back, along with heavy luggage balanced on someone's head, all perched precariously on a rickety motorcycle weaving and wobbling through traffic. Since accident statistics are not kept, the actual death toll from such poverty-induced recklessness is anyone's guess. Banning motorcycle taxis is not an option for a third world country, but the current situation in Nigeria cries out for some sort of regulation on the number of passengers allowable aboard one motorcycle.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 02, 2006
No it shouldn't.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Odeku(m): 7:07pm On Aug 02, 2006
interesting jakumo. Every time I come to Nigeria i look in disbeliefs how they are operate
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by DRANOEL(m): 7:17pm On Aug 02, 2006
we dont need this okada nuisance! there should be gotten rid of
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by LiquidMind(m): 8:19pm On Aug 02, 2006
Okada have cause too many accident on our roads. Before you climb an Okada -
You will need three angels to guide you . one angel at your back and the other at your front. the third will go before the Okada to clear road,

If the Government is not ready to control Okada., then they should be ban
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 8:34pm On Aug 02, 2006
Government should start banning them from operating in certain areas

i think the gov. should ban them from certain areas and impose some restriction not ban them outrightly; the way it looks at the moment they are here to stay!!

they should impose speed limits
force them to wear Helmets/Reflective clothing
force them to have proper tyres and working light > bike m.o.t
Remove their killer horns angry angry
impose restrictions on the number of people they can caryy > just 1 passenger per bike!
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Odeku(m): 9:07pm On Aug 02, 2006
how intresting, that is why I like this chat room, you get to see and reason with people from different angle. so I am not the only one that think they shouild be ban> Nigeria was fine before OKADA SAGA
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 9:17pm On Aug 02, 2006
That you have some people thinking like you is evidence that sometimes people think wrongly. Nothing more.

You don't just wake up one day after drinking too much ogogoro and say you want to ban somebody's occupation. It's immoral and illogical and retroggressive. If you have a problem with a particular okada man, settle it in court. How can you say you want to ban a service that is helping many people to move around? Be careful o.

Perhaps we should ban universities because some students are cult members and prostitutes? We should ban internet business because some people use it for fraud? Ban money because some people steal it? Nonsense!
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by zebudaya(m): 9:46pm On Aug 02, 2006
I think okada riders should apply for a license, after they have undergone mandatory safety training. This way it would be safer for everybody, they should also be required to wear helmets.

I don't see any reason why they should be banned.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by debosky(m): 9:51pm On Aug 02, 2006
i agree zeb, proper training and regulation is the key, they shd also try marking the roads with a bicycle/okada lane

banning never worked before, things wd grind to a halt if we just took half-baked actions like that.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by LoverBwoy(m): 11:58pm On Aug 02, 2006
Hey what u say they should be made to pay congestion charges like in london grin £3000/day for coming into my estate grin i'll be the tax collector

pay for parking grin

they must have insurance and m.o.t

They should be regulated heavily!! not banned outrightly
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by babe1(f): 12:28am On Aug 03, 2006
zebudaya:

I think okada riders should apply for a license, after they have undergone mandatory safety training. This way it would be safer for everybody, they should also be required to wear helmets.

I don't see any reason why they should be banned.

Makes a whole lot of sense considering one almost ran me over when i was in Nigeria a few years ago, you cant even take a walk down the road without almost getting killed. The driver even had the nerve to say he would slap me for blocking the road, thank God for having guys in my family cos they slapped the you know what out of him.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Idekeson(m): 2:48am On Aug 03, 2006
A safety measure will to ban them from highways, restricting them to local street roads.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by mamaput(f): 7:22am On Aug 03, 2006
Rather than that they should be given a nr or so , so that you can report them to their own people.
Once , when my sister went to marketone trader held her hand and called her sissy . This i omethink that always happens in the market but on this day she was in bad mood.
Well end of the story even the oga of the trade union came and apologised to her.
Many people do not know but these people also have union laws they have to abide to
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by kokocious(m): 8:17am On Aug 03, 2006
Hmmm, this is a very nice issue to race, i must admit God bless the person who raced this topic kiss, I support and agree with you Seun, for the others who think they should be banned i think they are very wrong, why would you wake up and think the best thing to do is to ban the means of living of other citizens, i think the best thing to do is to call their leaders, they have a Union for God's sake call their Union leaders, remember their are graduates amongst these people, who don't want to go into crime, call their leaders sit them down, their should be a rule governing them, if you want to ban them, then you must provide a better job for them, the Goverment can't just ban them without any other means of livelihood for them, Okada can not be banned but can be cautioned on their carelessness they are human beigns not animals so they will surely listen
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Christino(m): 8:24am On Aug 03, 2006
If those goat heads ban Okadas, then I'll resign and go to the farm, Okadas know me by name - dat is, every blessed day, I'm on it, so swift, I just smile at those guyz stuck in traffic, especially people without A/C inhaling the thick smoke from Molue Exhaust and some bitter-sweet aroma of refuse dumps. Except of course that my trouser gets dirty in muddy areas and on rainy days, i'd say Cars should be banned instead (Lagos Especially)!

If you have an appointment, kindly book an okada cos the traffic's gonna mess you up big time. If Nigeria loses 20bn naira to hold ups yearly, then we'll lose 40bn if we ban okadas cos they take you there right on time. It is commonplace to see CEOs of big companies telling their drivers "Meet me at Ajose" and they leave the guy in the luxurious official ride only to jump on a "bike" with their suit and all that - just imagine.

DON't ban MY People and please don't say it to Charlie Boy's face.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Oracle(m): 9:03am On Aug 03, 2006
I personally don't think itz possible to ban Okadas in Nigeria, because the okada riders are so many in the country today, besides Nigeria needs them: Not everybody can use a bus or a taxi

Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by mamaput(f): 9:08am On Aug 03, 2006
see them with their number.
If any of them dose rubbish and you report them to their union , they will take it up.
Am sure the rubbish doers will have to pay a fine or some thing.
After all nigeria is the land of paing fines for every rubbish
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by mamaput(f): 9:10am On Aug 03, 2006
PS

if more people report them , the more fines the union will collect.
one day the fear of being reported will make them behave

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Russian President's Car Is The Real Bomb! (photos) / My Clutch Pedal Keep Going Flat Every Morning / What Event Motivates You To Learn How To Drive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.